PDA

View Full Version : Special Tomato Rice

Sri
06-07-2007, 02:20 AM
From Aval Vikatan, June 08, 2007 issue..

Required Ingredients:
1. Basmathi Rice 1 cup
2. Tomato - 3
3. Onion - 2
4. Green Chilli - 1
5. Curry Leaves - 2 stems
6. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
7. Salt to taste

For "varuthu podikka":
1. Dhaniya (coriander seeds) - 1 teaspoon
2. Kadalai paruppu (channa dhal) - 1 teaspoon
3. Ulutham paruppu (Urad dhal) - 1 teaspoon
4. Red Chillies - 2
5. Kopparai thengai (Dried coconut) - 2 tablespoon

For Seasoning:
1. Kadugu (Mustard) - 1/2 teaspoon
2. Ulutham paruppu (Urad Dhal) - 1 teaspoon
3. Oil - 1 tablespoon
4. Ghee - 1 tablespoon

Preparation:
1. Wash the rice and cook it with little salt.. (the rice must be cooked so that the grains are separate and not sticky or mashed)

2. Cut tomato and onion in to small pieces

3. Sautee all the ingredients for "Varuthu-podikka" until they are red and grind it in to dry, smooth powder in mixie.

4. Put a tawa in the stove and heat the ghee and oil (duh!!!!) and sautee the seasoning ingredients until urad dhal turn golden brown

5. Add cut onion to it and keep turning it until it turns translucent (spelling???)

6. Add cut tomatoes, green chilli turmeric powder and salt and cook until the tomatoes are cooked (the tomatoes will no longer be solid)

7. Add the cooked rice, the powder (from step 3), curry leaves and salt and turn it well until the rice is mixed well.

8. Turn off the heat and test the taste. If the sour taste is a little less, you can add a little lemon juice.

Serve Hot and possibly with potato chips and onion raitha.. Mmmmm.. yummy in the tummy.. (Ok.. the last part is mine and not from AV.. :sm12:)

Enjoyssss,
Sri

Sruti
06-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Nandri Sri :)

Sri
06-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Akka idhu ellam enakku parcel varanum sollittaen.. ;) Summa internet parcel kadhai ellam solla koodathu.. :nono:

Sri

Sruti
06-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Seri...nan unge athuku vanthu pani kodukuren okay va......

vasan
06-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Hmm.. any reason for the adjective? :think:

I thought, this is sorta how tomato-rice is made. So what is special?

Aval vikatan folks must be cooking for the first time. Perhaps.

Anyways, thanks, Ms. Subscriber. :ee: :sm03: Will cook tomato-rice this weekend. :b: :

v- :D

ps: May be I will call it subscriber-tomato-rice, instead of special.. :wink:

sri_gan
06-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Naan itha MSG panna solla poren... eppadi varuguthu enna viraivil theriyum...

emyesbee
06-07-2007, 02:46 AM
Is adding thengai new in this tomato rice :think: :Ksp:

vasan
06-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Goththillaa, MSB avarey.. :Ksp:

Some times I also add green onions, and garnish it with finely chopped cilantro. Ofcourse I still call it.. :oops: :oops:

Best not to ask all these 'kashtamaana' questions, I suppose. :ee: :)

v-

Sri
06-07-2007, 02:57 AM
Yup PP.. the varuthu-podikka is the new part.. normal tomato rice does not have it..

But, my mom always makes it this way.. And, I think AV is just full of it.. You must see the 30 recipes.. tomato juice is one of them... duh!!!!!!

Sri

yasodha
06-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Entirely differenta irukke...try pannalaama vendaamannu irukken....:think: :ee:

PS:Sri...enna adikka vathudatheenga....:p

Sri
06-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Entirely differenta irukke...try pannalaama vendaamannu irukken....:think: :ee:

PS:Sri...enna adikka vathudatheenga....:p

Hiya Yaso...this is not my recipe.. I am only a translator.. so, why would I feel offended if you don't want to use it.. ;) :)

As I sadi, my mom makes it this way and I like tomato rice only this way, not the bland one which has just the tomato and green chilli in it.

Sri

sri_gan
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Yup PP.. the varuthu-podikka is the new part.. normal tomato rice does not have it..

But, my mom always makes it this way.. And, I think AV is just full of it.. You must see the 30 recipes.. tomato juice is one of them... duh!!!!!!

Sri

Ungala nambi oru nallu - anchu family itha panni paka paarom.... :) ...

Sri
06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Ungala nambi oru nallu - anchu family itha panni paka paarom.... :) ...

Do you want me to supply anti-diarrhea tablets, SG? I am going to call you SG, is that ok with you? 'cause everyone calls me Sri. ;) and I managed to make the other Sri (e_ssen) in carnatic section disappear.. :sm12:

Have you heard the song, "Nambikkettavar Evarayya"? Listen to it and enjoy the special tomato rice.. :sm12: I am planning to give more tomato recipes this evening.. so, stand by...

Sri

emyesbee
06-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Athaaadi ammaadi.....rendu Sriyum sernthutaangoooodiii......:sm0 6:

Sri
06-07-2007, 01:29 PM

PP: are you feeling jealous? ;) Awwww.....

Sri

sri_gan
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Do you want me to supply anti-diarrhea tablets, SG? I am going to call you SG, is that ok with you? 'cause everyone calls me Sri. ;) and I managed to make the other Sri (e_ssen) in carnatic section disappear.. :sm12:

Have you heard the song, "Nambikkettavar Evarayya"? Listen to it and enjoy the special tomato rice.. :sm12: I am planning to give more tomato recipes this evening.. so, stand by...

Sri
No more SG only gman .... usually naan than ellarukkum peru vachu geethamla vila kondaduven... lately atha vittuten nenga arambichuteenga.

Aga mothathula... neriya tomato translation irruku nu solla varinga... mm pannunga pannunga...

sri_gan
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Enga thanga thalaivar TR paduna patta Naala than paadurenga...sakthi

sri_gan
06-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Very nice recipe... liked it very much and easy to do...;)

suriyan80
06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks Sri..:)

unique
06-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Shuld nt this recipe be in the rice section....well anyways sri thanks for the recipe tdy i prepared this rice only it came out well....thanks once again

Sri
06-19-2007, 06:14 PM
You are very welcome. Glad it came out well. Recipe is not mine though. It's from Aval Vikatan. I just copied it over.

Sri

sri_gan
06-25-2007, 03:58 PM
You are very welcome. Glad it came out well. Recipe is not mine though. It's from Aval Vikatan. I just copied it over.

Sri

Sri,

I will move this to Rice section... Okay!!