PDA

View Full Version : GRE TIPS From USA TAMIL STUDENTS

arumugam57
11-09-2003, 04:32 PM
WHAT is GRE ?

GRE is an acronym for Graduate Record Examination and is an compulsory examination for those who wish to pursue Master's and/or PhD education in the United Stated of America after completing the Bachelor's program. It is a multiple choice type of examination that tests you in the following areas

Math - Pretty elementary stuff. Most of you should find this a piece of cake
Verbal - This is the section that bites often. I would suggest sharpening ones verbal skills early in the course of preparation
Analytical - Tricky section but surely manageable if one keeps a cool mind
Explaining each of these sections would be tedious and I would recommend looking up some books on GRE for this. You might also want to look up the GRE website at http://www.gre.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY GRE ( Why pursue higher education in US) ?

Personally, I feel that most of what one learns in one's Bachelor's program in India is based on a stringent academic framework. Every semester is planned out forcing students to take courses decided by some committee in the University. It feels more like an extended stay high school except that one learns engineering stuff. Most of the 4 years is spent on doing what one HAS to do and not what one WANTs to do (quoting Steven Covey.) But a valid question which comes to one's mind is whether an average student just out of 12th std knows about his/her interests and can they narrow it down to say signal processing at that age ? ? So, doing those 30-40 courses, may be in different sub fields will let one decide what one likes.

My favorite quip is on how most of one's bachelor's education is lost in the mad race for grades (I have been a part of this craze.) I have nothing against the rat race for marks but unfortunately as many of my fellow engineers would agree, this is often at the cost of healthy technical competition. I strongly believe that grades are not the best indicators of ones creativity which is what makes an engineer (as a matter of fact anyone) special (especially since I am not scoring well of late ;-))

Some respite is provided to the student in the final year of engineering allowing the students the choice of electives (which unfortunately are few in number. At IIT students do have some choices right from 1st semester !) Industrial training programs help the student to get a feel of engineering in industry ( though I tend to complain about the short time allocated for this.)

If you agree with me and feel that most of your undergraduate education could have been better off and you really wish you could do something about it, read on....

arumugam57
11-09-2003, 04:33 PM
To--Be -----Continued

king_143
11-11-2003, 02:35 AM
If you are planning to take GRE and you are weak in verbal (like me) then start preparing atleat one year before the planned date. There is a lot to eat and digest. and practise writing.

-----------
for some tips after taking GRE.
http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2783

king_143
11-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Mr. 6Mu...

To--Be -----Continued

When?????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

gsatnan
11-22-2003, 12:53 AM
i agree with u 6 face
i relasied it when i came here to US and now i would be graduationg with my master degree... i have learnt a lot here....and i would strongly recommend to ppl

selpra
11-22-2003, 01:04 AM
good topic!

sabeshan
11-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Hey guys...

Those who are preparing for GRE need to have a strong vocabulary... and not just that you need to have good writing skills... No one expects you to write a Shakespearean comedy... All that is needed is a few coherent paragraphs with no grammatical, semantic or spelling errors... Nobody expects you to write words like triskaidekaphobia* in your GRE essay... SO don't worry too much about the verbal section unless you are someone who is totally unfamiliar with the English language...

More on hearing from you guys and cute gals ;) ;)

*Fear of number 13

vasan
11-22-2003, 01:43 AM
[quote]Hey guys...

Those who are preparing for GRE need to have a strong vocabulary... and not just that you need to have good writing skills... No one expects you to write a Shakespearean comedy... All that is needed is a few coherent paragraphs with no grammatical, semantic or spelling errors... Nobody expects you to write words like triskaidekaphobia* in your GRE essay... SO don't worry too much about the verbal section unless you are someone who is totally unfamiliar with the English language...

More on hearing from you guys and cute gals ;) ;)

er... I did hear that the new GRE pattern requires you to write an essay and they have ditched the analytical section.. (I took it long long ago.... ) so, you might want to brush up your writing skills too...

If its going to help: more often than not, you will find many interesting and contemporary topics in Geetham. May be those who are interested can write a clear 'gre style' postings on these topics (especially the ones similar to GRE questions)... and people will anyways comment on them..

You get a feed back, get to write, and hey.. you get to become the active members !!! Geetham will greet you with nice Rajini movies for your efforts...

You go guys... lets hear from you..

Vasan