PDA

View Full Version : I wasn't enjoying captaincy any more: Dravid

Shy
09-14-2007, 09:24 PM
http://content.msn.co.in/NR/rdonlyres/C65BDF1B-145A-4C5E-8AD0-7FF387F583F0/165603/Rahuldravid01_150.jpg

New Delhi: As the cricket fraternity gropes for the exact reason which prompted Rahul Dravid to quit Indian captaincy, the player himself revealed that he was not enjoying leading the side anymore.

"I enjoyed the captaincy, I loved it, but it can get tough after a while and some of the enjoyment can go away," Dravid was quoted as saying by the BBC.

"So I thought it was the right time to step aside," he added.

Dravid took over the captaincy from Sourav Ganguly in October 2005 and he had his share of criticism for some of his decisions, the latest being not enforcing a follow-on in the Oval Test against England.

Dravid, who has played 112 Tests and scored 9492 runs for an impressive average of 56.50, captained India in 25 Tests, winning eight, drawing 11 and losing 6 matches.

In one-dayers, Dravid captained in 79 matches, winning 42 and losing 33 while four matches ended in no result.

BCCI President Sharad Pawar revealed the Karnataka batsman had expressed his wish to step down during the UK tour.

Dravid apparently told Pawar that the burden of captaincy was affecting his batting. "After leading the team for two years, he wants the opportunity to go to a new person," Pawar said.

Dravid attended yesterday's launching of the Indian Premier League at a city hotel and there too, he did not drop any hint of his impending decision. He was in rather jovial mood during the programme.

BCCI Vice President Lalit Modi, while sharing details of the franchise system, said players could join any franchise of their choice and made a reference to Dravid.

"If all eight franchise make a beeline for someone like say, Rahul Dravid, it would be entirely his decision to join the team of his choice," Modi said.

In his speech, Dravid said, "Lalit said eight franchises would be clamouring for my signature. I just wonder whether it's a Twenty20 league or a Test league!"

MSN

Shy

MadTownDude
09-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Its time to select somebody who is not a batsman to become the captain....

Shy
09-15-2007, 12:33 AM
what about whos not in playing 11 ;) that way no pressure on him :poda::poda:

Aus team and other teams have batsman as captain too :rolleyes:

I guess the depth of politics in our team, no one can withstand, except a member from the parliment :ee:

Shy

MadTownDude
09-15-2007, 12:59 AM
At this rate the team will become like the Pak team which had all of em captains not too long ago....atleast these guys don kill each other in public....

Dhoni being a wickey may not be a bad choice in terms of pressure....unless he feels it from Karthik.....:)