PDA

View Full Version : names of herbs in Tamil?

Bluelotus
10-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Could you please tell me what the following herbs are called in Tamil (and common English terms in you know them too) pretty please? :) :) :ee: :) :)
Thank you .

Gotukola (Centella Aslatica)
Uses: this herb is said to have a direct action on lowering the blood pressure and is often referred to as a rejuvenating medicament. The leaves are eaten raw or finely cut and roasted with scraped coconut. They are believed to purify the blood and cure indigestion, nervousness and dysentry . The leaves are dried, powdered and taken with milk to improve the memory

Pol Pala (Aerva lanata)
Dried powder used as a substitute for tea. A reputed diuretic and considered of great value in lithiasis and for coughs and as a vermifuge for children
Hathawariya
Used as a refrigerant, demulcent, diuretic aphrodisian, alternative anti-diarrhoes and anti-dysenteric. They are employed in chronic rheumatism and relieve bilious dyspepsia and diarrhoea. Used to increase sexual vigour and for urinary and kidney diseases, strangury and retention of urine

vasan
10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Gotukola --> is a sinhalease name

tamil:
Orilaithamarai ஒரிலைத் தாமரை (single leaf lotus, literally),
or babassa,
or much more commonly in tamil nadu: vallaaRai - வல்லாறை..

Studies on Indian Medical History, Page 192. Google Books. :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=xDvbumli2i0C&pg=PA192&vq=gotukola&sig=wRIQYWI0uGnoX9g_KNn4b7Dpog s

http://neemtreefarms.com/catalog/images/gotukola.JPG

Several webpages, suppliers, and images on Google, Blue..:b: Check them out..

Lots of medical claims too, I don't know about that.. :ee:

vallarai lEkiyam (food supplement, looks either like a jelly or some gum drops.. )
is popular in/among those who are after such.. :wink:

v- :)

vasan
10-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Here is a PDF file that lists various herbs (in alphabetical order), and their regional names (tamil, sinhalease, hindi etc).. You might want to download it straight on to your pc, and then open it, because its about 60 pages long.. :b:

http://static.scribd.com/docs/fhie79jh2g0se.pdf

v-

tinker
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
never knew you were doing sitha maruthuvam ;) ...

vennpuraa
10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
வல்லாறைyai chutny maathi araichupoddu riceodai saapidalaam.........nalla tastyaa irukkum

vasan anna..........naanga vallaarai enduthaan sollurathu......tamil part of SL -la

vasan
10-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Oh.. :think: Thanks, Doves.. :sm08:

koththumalli - cilantro chutney maathiriyaa sapiduveenga? How does it taste? Pudhina (mint) or cilantro?

v-

vennpuraa
10-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh.. :think: Thanks, Doves.. :sm08:

koththumalli - cilantro chutney maathiriyaa sapiduveenga? How does it taste? Pudhina (mint) or cilantro?

v-

kothumalli maathi smell irukaaa.......cilantro........ try panavai illai so...:o

different taste.........recipe podavaa then?????:think:.........mint taste maathi illai....

vasan
10-11-2007, 12:49 AM
cilantro........try panavai illai so...:o

Dove anna.. dove anna.. :ee:

கொத்துமல்ல ி = Koththumalli = Coriander = Cilantro.. :wink: :) All same thing, Puraa.. :b:

Recipe podunga.. :b: But do you get this in Canada? Vallarai? :think: I should check it up in some chinese market may be.. :wink: :)

v-

vennpuraa
10-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Dove anna.. dove anna.. :ee:

கொத்துமல்ல ி = Koththumalli = Coriander = Cilantro.. :wink: :) All same thing, Puraa.. :b:

Recipe podunga.. :b: But do you get this in Canada? Vallarai? :think: I should check it up in some chinese market may be.. :wink: :)

v-

yap kanatavila kidaikkum..........recipe poduran:):wink:

Bluelotus
10-11-2007, 07:18 PM
oooh I know vallarai too, mother insists on feeding me that whenever I'm home
I think mum grinds vallarai leaves with a little coconut and a little strange yellow parippuand a dash of corriander leaves and lemon juice.

thanks thattha, will try to find the other two :)

yasodha
10-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Pura Vallarai Canadala kidaikkuma enna????:think::eek:

vasan
10-11-2007, 07:24 PM
will try to find the other two :)

Missie.. :Ksp:

Download the PDF document.. It gives you in 60+ pages, all the various herbs, their names (in english, and in other regional dialects.. ) and sketches.. too.. :b:

:wink:

v-

butterfly
10-11-2007, 07:30 PM

i think pura is talking about cucumber yaso...saladuku podarthu...dont think we get veallari here

Bluelotus
10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Missie.. :Ksp:

v-
done done done :)

that's what I meant I'll find them on the pdf thingymagic :ee:

vasan
10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Bleukutti.. peace, doc.. :sm08: :ee:

think pura is talking about cucumber yaso...saladuku podarthu...dont think we get veallari here

Pattams.. :) :) Puraa was talking about vallarai only. Not vellarikkai.. :ee: They make nice chutney too.. :b:

You get everything in eastern canada, I suppose.. :)

v-

vennpuraa
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
increadients:
vallaarai..............a bunch or around 150 to 200 leaves(yap......i counted them)
green chilli..........depend on your taste........2-4 chilli( i use about 4 chilli)
salt..................depend on your taste..................( a pinch)
onion.................chutnykk u podura alavu................
lemon/lime............depend on your taste...................(1/3 of lemon)

vallaarai leaves thaniyaa eduthu..vaikanum..without the stem....
pirakku .chilli..onion.....vallaarai ilai.....
ellaathayum grinderila poddu nalla arakanum(well grind)
lemon/ lime use......saapidumpothu viddaathaan nalla irukkum..muthale viddu vaithaa.....darkaapoidum..colo r maaridum....

second way is::
==============================
nalla finaa chop panneetu......koncham coconut shreds add panneetum saaapidalaam

3 way..........
==============================
u can add yogurt with that ......if u don't like to use coconut shreds

============================== =========
this is how i cook so.......my fav........grind one......

thani threadila podanum endaa spilit pannividunga

vennpuraa
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
yap kidaikkum.........

i think pura is talking about cucumber yaso...saladuku podarthu...dont think we get veallari here

no butterfly sis.......vallaarai inka ivaangalaaam.........sri lankan storeponaa vaangalaam..........

Pattams.. :) :) Puraa was talking about vallarai only. Not vellarikkai.. :ee: They make nice chutney too.. :b:

v-

almost....v.........not everything

butterfly
10-11-2007, 09:46 PM

v-

Sorry Pura...me thaan got confused :)

Thanks anna :sm08:

Bluelotus
10-26-2007, 06:04 PM
still can* find the name of one of those hers... but that's okay the potion won't be affected much by itš absence ... one can always hope right ;)

vasan
10-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Which one, Blue? Could we help? :wink: :)

v-

tinker
10-26-2007, 06:09 PM
still can�* find the name of one of those hers... but that's okay the potion won't be affected much by itš absence ... one can always hope right ;)

you can always add some coffee ... it will heal a lot of things ;) .... V and I can vouch for it ....

Bluelotus
10-26-2007, 06:11 PM
you can always add some coffee ... it will heal a lot of things ;) .... V and I can vouch for it ....

considering itš for hair growth I'll have to ask you details of your hairline ;)

tinker
10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
considering itš for hair growth I'll have to ask you details of your hairline ;)

oops ... I skip to the next question ;) ...

Ncm
10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

is fenugreek the same as venthayam? :think:

Shy
10-27-2007, 01:14 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

is fenugreek the same as venthayam? :think:

Avunu NCM garu :b: :b: :b:

Shy

Ncm
10-27-2007, 02:50 PM