PDA

View Full Version : Sweets(இனிப்பு ) : Athirsam(அதிரசம் )

Shy
11-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Assured for Trying - நீங்கள் இதை முயற்சி செய்யலாம்.

Hi ButterFly,

I am not old enough to know this recipe yet..;)
Got it from some indian kitchen site for u. Hope it helps...

Rice - 1/2 kg,jaggery - 300g

(1)Soak rice for half hour and spread it on a large cloth or newspaper for about half an hour.

(2)The rice will become almost dry but still slightly damp.Powder it using a mixie.

(3)To make jaggery syrup, dissolve 300g jaggery in minimum water and mix well.

(4)Heat this until the syrup becomes thick like a paste. To test this, drop a very small quantity of the syrup in water. it should solidify immediately.

(5)Mix it with the powdered rice and mix well like a dough. Cover it in a vessel and leave it for about 8 hours.

(6)Heat 2 cups of oil in a frying pan.

(7)Place a ball of this flour on a plastic sheet and flatten it by hand so that it becomes a flat round shape.

(8)deep fry this in oil, turning it until it turns golden brown evenly on both sides.

(9)After removing from oil, remove excess oil by pressing this between two plates.

Shy

butterfly
11-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks shy for the recipe..
(1)Soak rice for half hour and spread it on a large cloth or newspaper for about half an hour.

(2)The rice will become almost dry but still slightly damp.Powder it using a mixie.

was just wondering can we grind the rice or use ricepowder?...making it powder in our grinders here is impossible :(...they are not made for our cooking :(...

Shy
11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
I dont think its a best idea to use rice powder.. athrisam konjam karakarapaa araipaanga i guess..
else athirsam will look like cutlet..with maavu inside...

In the blender itself... just soak and grind the rice... not so smooth...konjam karakarappa eruntha will be good i guess.

Shy

muralipr
11-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Athirasam
Ingredients :
Rice - 1 1/2 cups Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
Powdered Jaggery - 2 cups Oil - to deep fry
Procedure :
Wash and clean the rice and soak it in warm for 1/2 hour. Decant water completely and while still wet, powder coarsely. Heat up 1/2 cup water and dissolve the powdered jaggery completely. Filter out the impurities, if any. Prepare a syrup by heating up the jaggery water over a medium heat. When it thickens slightly, add the rice powder and cardamom powder and stir well to mix uniformly. Let it cool for sometime. Take lemon sized balls of this dough and flatten out thickly over a greased plastic sheet / foil. Heat up oil in a deep kadai and when hot, deep fry the athirasams one at a time until until brown on both sides. Drain off the excess oil.