PDA

View Full Version : Should men know to cook?

katteri
11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
This happened b4 4 months, One guy from Tnadu..came stayed at my friends place .It seems that it was his first experience living apart from his family.
He cald his mom and asked her how many glass of water do i need to pour in milk to make coffee :lol: :D
joke a irrukku @ the same time ariyamai ninaicha pavama irukku????
So should men know how to cook or atleast help his wife during cooking???? :fight:

dinesh
11-21-2003, 05:50 PM
So should men know how to cook or atleast help his wife during cooking????

Of course they should. I don't really care about whether the man has a wife or not, but if he's alone somewhere, which the modern man will be at some point in his life, who will feed him. He should look after himself and should know to cook.
It is only in our home countries, that we have this stupid belief that only women needs to know how to cook. In the west, everybody looks after themselves very carefully.

madhu_aish1
11-21-2003, 06:33 PM
Kateri,
Unga example works out for women too. Ennoda oru friend gave me A+ in samiyal. appavae therinchuthu avanga soooper aa samaiyal seivanga -nu.

cooking is an Art ... It is like any other field. Giving this basic explanation . It better be learned by everyone. It is not kamba soothiram...

Now most of them live away from our parents ... and are forced to learn cooking.. We learn it by force in the beginning... but as days go by we feel like we have missed this oppurtunity back at home.
So It is definetely advantage men knowing cooking..I dont think any body will talk against this topic.. :think: :think: If somebody takes it it will be good.. lets see how the topic rolls.

Madhu

butterfly
11-21-2003, 07:16 PM
katteri,
If this topic was discussed 10 yrs ago may be many men & women wud have opposed it...coz many women stayed home & felt their kadamai is to cook & cook....but if u ask those women now...they regret they didnt let their husbands cook... I am talking about women who left home & are living in some place alone with their husbands & kids....coz now when this same women fall sick its hard for them to see their husbands not knowing how or wat to do in the kitchen...I am not blaming Men...I am blaming women...coz when men try niraya kutram solrathu...which discourages them...but we shud appreciate men now...they are really good & shows initiative in cooking....may be coz women are too busy to find fualts :ahha: ...its more of a joint effort now...

anainar
11-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Of course, men should know cooking. Those days of joint families are gone. Now it is only nuclear family of husband/wife/children. Every one should know a little bit of everything. Like Butterfly said, if the wife is sick, husband/children should be able to cook. There is no escape from that now.

My dad never went to kitchen, except for taking food. But all my brothers cook. So do I. Not everyday, but occasionally, to surprise my wife I do. Matha padi, avanga thaan kitchen queen. Me only servant. Luckily my wife does not say a single word of discouragement when I do. She gives me a big hug and eats what ever I cook. :D :D :D. Even if it was done creatively, rasam with sambar powder. or dal with extra salt. :lol:

Cheers.

vasan
11-21-2003, 07:54 PM
No.. absolute no need to know how to cook...

Why should we? I mean, aren't there things like chinese takeouts, cereals, milk, packaged fresh sushi, mcdonalds, hot dogs, Papa Johns, coke, chips (OMG!! how many varieties), married friends, wifes, sisters, moms, frozen burritos, canned spaghetti, cup-o-noodles, horlicks (appadiya saapidalam!!)... Oh, boy... the world is created for the sake of men who can't cook. Should abandon them... Being nice guys, we have to take care of all these people working in so many places - what would they do if we don't patronize them?? Hey, I die anyway... what if it is because of cholestrol, or because of a Car accident... :)

Men don't have to know how to cook. They should know how to spoil food... We should be so clumsy in the kitchen, and give the women a chance to dominate our otherwise feeble existence... A chance for them to take pity on us...

er..... I am writing some non-sense... I know..... The only reason I want to learn to do something is because I don't have to do it or know it. If you tell me I SHOULD learn, hey, I will not. If you tell me I don't have to learn, I will. So, what shall it be? Should I or not? That is the question...

butterfly
11-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Why should we? I mean, aren't there things like chinese takeouts, cereals, milk, packaged fresh sushi, mcdonalds, hot dogs, Papa Johns, coke, chips (OMG!! how many varieties), married friends, wifes, sisters, moms, frozen burritos, canned spaghetti, cup-o-noodles, horlicks (appadiya saapidalam!!)... Oh, boy... the world is created for the sake of men who can't cook. Should abandon them... Being nice guys, we have to take care of all these people working in so many places - what would they do if we don't patronize them?? Hey, I die anyway... what if it is because of cholestrol, or because of a Car accident...

vasan,
go read the battle on health section :)...

The only reason I want to learn to do something is because I don't have to do it or know it. If you tell me I SHOULD learn, hey, I will not. If you tell me I don't have to learn, I will. So, what shall it be? Should I or not? That is the question...

ohhh...nalla yosichu oru mudivu eduka enn vazhthukal ;)

dinesh
11-21-2003, 08:00 PM
some wonderful stuff

You da man!!! :b:

horlicks (appadiya saapidalam!!)
ayyy......neenga nammaalu.... :)

sofiadorathy
11-21-2003, 08:16 PM
All men must know to cook...here in Latvia each and every person should cokk them urself....so each and every man know to coook by them selves....ippa wife oorukku poyitta evalavu naalu thaan neeengala samaipeeenga yosinga.....so ella mens-kkum samayal therinchirukkanum enbathu enudaya karuthu....

Comenaughty
11-21-2003, 08:19 PM
ippa wife oorukku poyitta evalavu naalu thaan neeengala samaipeeenga yosinga

hehehe....hotel, mess edhullam edhukku irukkam? samayal kathunda ozhunga kathukanum....illa na, yaaralaiyum sapda mudiyathu :ee:....samayal panrathe waste

naughty

vasan
11-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Coffee poda theriyum. Letf-overs ah azhaga pack paannittu, adhutha naal microwave-la soodakka theriyum... Kozhi-mutaai vachu rounda flat-ah yedhavadhu panna theriyim (my version of omlette..) mm... ground nuts urikka theriyum...

vera.... ?? mm... konjam wait pannunga.. Recipes sectionla yedhavadhu try pannittu appuram yeludhalam... :)

Do I need to know how to cook? Are people that hungry, that they don't mind eating what I make?? Well... fate yaarai vittathu.. :)

sofiadorathy
11-21-2003, 08:37 PM
hehehe....hotel, mess edhullam edhukku irukkam? samayal kathunda ozhunga kathukanum....illa na, yaaralaiyum sapda mudiyathu ....samayal panrathe waste

naughty

Hotel saapaadu ethane naalu thaaan saapuduveeenga-nu sollunga...samayal therinchirukkathu is a positive message for all males....

Be Happy....

Shy
11-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Obviously.... Men should know how to cook.. not just to help someone, like wife or friends... but for himself to survive...

Kateri sona antha paiyan mathiri when situations comes, men should be able to take care of themselves and they shouldnt feel like "kanai katee kaatula vita mathiri". Long back it was a different issue, women took care of this and men just work and earn money. Appo they were together.. No travelling on consulting, business etc..

Now, In most of the families men travel mon-fri and they meet on weekends.. and also women too work. so it would be very helpful if men know how to cook.

Shy

balu78in
11-22-2003, 04:27 AM
I THINK MEN ALSO MUST KNOW COOKING., IT MEANS NOT LIKE ALL VARIETIES .ATLEST MUST KNOW SOMTHING TO MANAGE SOMETIMES..
BALU

gsatnan
11-22-2003, 04:32 AM
dude i would say it is necessary for a guy to learn cookin. then u can please ur wife by cookin and she can take a day or 2 off.
also if u travel a lot it wld be useful as u dont have to spend money in hotels

balaiitm
11-22-2003, 05:30 AM
yeah man should know cooking! kalavum katru mara!!

samyal therinja kandipa "AAdi" masam athu namaku uthavum he he he !!!

sofiadorathy
11-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Hello Geetham Members I wish all Members to post a topic in Patti Mandram with a Poll.....That will be much easier to reply and the Patti Mandram under Sofia's contol must have more replies to that topic.....

Patti Mandram is one of the most good topic which make members soooon Active.....I need to see many members must be Active with short messages and usefull messages in Patti Mandram than any other topics over in Geetham....I hope u will do it here after......

So only I made this topic as a Poll.....Come on Members....here's the Go....

Start to chat freeeely over here....and be active soooon.....

And sorry katteri to disturb the topic....

Be Happpy

katteri
11-24-2003, 01:49 AM
Hello Geetham Members I wish all Members to

And sorry katteri to disturb the topic....

Be Happpy
No probs.....

king_143
11-24-2003, 02:00 AM
Samayal Panna theriyonum annal inda vishayam manaiviki theriyakudadu

suryalover
11-24-2003, 03:08 AM
Nanbargale... know to cook apadingarathu mukiyamillle...

Inge vanthu have to cook ayiruchu...

so i have to know how to cook........

its better and good to know cooking... :D

sabeshan
11-24-2003, 03:34 AM
Yeah the deal is if you are living alone, cooking is one thing you should learn at some point of time or other... One can't live on a diet of pizzas and calzones... Life's much more than that ;)

selpra
11-24-2003, 03:41 AM
eating outside in restaurant is not always possible? how long will you eat out? are u not bored?, see my friend is pregnant now and she is unable to cook , her husband has to cook something tasty for her to eat, how many time will he go out and get food?, its not always possible, moreover you will get a lots of satisfaction that you prepared for your wife, think about it!!!

silican
11-24-2003, 06:15 AM
No.. absolute no need to know how to cook...

Why should we? I mean, aren't there things like chinese takeouts, cereals, milk, packaged fresh sushi, mcdonalds, hot dogs, Papa Johns, coke, chips (OMG!! how many varieties), married friends, wifes, sisters, moms, frozen burritos, canned spaghetti, cup-o-noodles, horlicks (appadiya saapidalam!!)... Oh, boy... the world is created for the sake of men who can't cook. Should abandon them... Being nice guys, we have to take care of all these people working in so many places - what would they do if we don't patronize them?? Hey, I die anyway... what if it is because of cholestrol, or because of a Car accident... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Tht was a great list Vasan :b: .

But just think one second...Kathrikka porichu senja Vatha kozhambu + sutta appalam (or) Taco Bell'la kedaikkara Bean Burrito..edha nenacha odane Nokku naakula jalam oorradhu ??? dont say Taco Bell..U know the truth.

Adhuvum namma kaiyalaye samayal senju saapta andha rusiye thani..

vasan
11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Right vaayile ennavo jalam orradhu niyam thaan.. aana yennoda samayal ninacha night-la ketta ketta kanava vandhu bayamuruththudhe... :)

Amma samaiyal ninacha vaayila jalam... yennoda samayal ninacha, kannil raththam.. :) So.. ok for Taco Bell... :)

anitam
11-24-2003, 08:50 PM
There nothing harm in learning some thing like cooking for both men and women. One who eats well must learn cooking. Basically its a good habit of cooking and eating ur own recepies other than going for fast food veraities.
So guys say boldly that "I know to cook".

ashokcsn_2000
11-25-2003, 12:03 AM
ellarum onnu nalla nyaabagam vechukanum men are known to be better cooks than women. Antha kaalathulenthu paarthaa Nalan, Bheeman, etc ellaram super cooks... no record of good female cooks.
and hotel ellathuleyum men chefs....
This is because it is a proven scientific fact that men have superior taste buds to women... which means that they know the nuances of taste better.

ashok

vasan
11-25-2003, 12:16 AM
ellarum onnu nalla nyaabagam vechukanum men are known to be better cooks than women. Antha kaalathulenthu paarthaa Nalan, Bheeman, etc ellaram super cooks... no record of good female cooks.
This is because it is a proven scientific fact that men have superior taste buds to women... which means that they know the nuances of taste better.

ashok

:lol: :lol: aaha.. ippadiyellam oru scientific fact irrukka yenna?? Ashok, yenna vilattukku sonneengala, illai nijamave thaana??

Yenno pongappa.. doesn't matter what science/society/geetham says... sappadu senju poda aal illainna aanaga iundhalum pennaga irundhalum avanga avangalethaan samichukkanum... Senju poda aalai thedanum.. :)

lodestar
11-25-2003, 10:08 AM
It is always better to have a skill of your own instead of depending on other sources..ithu onnum men kku prestige issue illayae..
moreover ethana nalaikku thaan fast food varieties a vachu kaalam thalla mudiyum..it does no good to health and most of fast food varieties contains no enriching sources for health. wife kku marriage apporom help panromo illayo atleast marriage agura varaikkum healthy a irukanum na self cooking thaan best..so men should always know to cook :b:

sofiadorathy
11-25-2003, 11:05 AM
Hello Geeetham Members...Is this a Patti Mandram or a General Talk?????
I have visited the results that member posted....And I was astonished by seeing the result.....All 13 put the vote for one poll and 0 votes for other thing....Thats really crazy Members.....

Any way All I want is The Topic must be Active...Thnk u

Be Happy....

sweetie
11-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Eating is a must for everyone ...... and It does not matter how u get the food .... Whether it be from Hotels / from someone else' cooking or whether it be thru ur own cooking ....

So There is neither any wrong in Men knowing how to cook nor in not knowing how to cook....

shiva1507
03-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Of course, men should know cooking. Those days of joint families are gone. Now it is only nuclear family of husband/wife/children. Every one should know a little bit of everything. Like Butterfly said, if the wife is sick, husband/children should be able to cook. There is no escape from that now.

My dad never went to kitchen, except for taking food. But all my brothers cook. So do I. Not everyday, but occasionally, to surprise my wife I do. Matha padi, avanga thaan kitchen queen. Me only servant. Luckily my wife does not say a single word of discouragement when I do. She gives me a big hug and eats what ever I cook. . Even if it was done creatively, rasam with sambar powder. or dal with extra salt.

shiva1507
03-09-2004, 01:03 PM

My dad never went to kitchen, except for taking food. But all my brothers cook. So do I. Not everyday, but occasionally, to surprise my wife I do. Matha padi, avanga thaan kitchen queen. Me only servant. Luckily my wife does not say a single word of discouragement when I do. She gives me a big hug and eats what ever I cook. . Even if it was done creatively, rasam with sambar powder. or dal with extra salt.

RaasuKutty
03-09-2004, 04:54 PM
idhu vidhiyin vilayaattu...

India vittu velila vandaachunna samaikka therinje aaganum..
within India... dont bother.. Hotels, mess... 1000's of options...

sHaLiNi_m
03-09-2004, 07:59 PM
i dont think men should learn how to cook...cause its unfair to ask them to do something that for surely they wont be able to.... :sm12:

sri_gan
03-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Ofcourse Yes and there is nothing wrong in it.

Bluelotus
03-09-2004, 08:30 PM
heck yeah they need to know how to cook...cos I only know rice and daal...
for that matter I need culinary lessons too.....

reks
03-09-2004, 08:40 PM

athu nalla thaan hotel'a sapta odambuku nalathu illa solvanga :sm12:

sri_gan
03-09-2004, 08:47 PM
athu nalla thaan hotel'a sapta odambuku nalathu illa solvanga

Rome sirikathinga Reks.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Chef kaga onnum illai. Back home cleaness pathathu athukaga sollurathu athu.

vasan
03-09-2004, 09:17 PM
heck yeah they need to know how to cook...cos I only know rice and daal...
for that matter I need culinary lessons too.....

I read some were the experience of cooking rice and daal and burning things up and patience and how now rice looks like snow and daal like the Sun and so on.. :wink: And even how people can live on peanut butter (which is also called in a variety of names in strange places.. :lol: ) and toast.. :ahha:

Did you also read it Blues.. Why does it sound familiar... :think: :think: :P :P :P

On the topic: Men should know how to cook. Of course. Otherwise who will teach their soon to be wifes.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vasan

dinesh
03-09-2004, 09:21 PM
I read some were the experience of cooking rice and daal and burning things up and patience and how now rice looks like snow and daal like the Sun and so on.. And even how people can live on peanut butter (which is also called in a variety of names in strange places.. ) and toast..

Did you also read it Blues.. Why does it sound familiar...

:sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

sri_gan
03-09-2004, 09:23 PM
On the topic: Men should know how to cook. Of course. Otherwise who will teach their soon to be wifes..

This is the true fact. Srikiramari irrukum athan unmai.

Comenaughty
03-10-2004, 01:49 AM
i shud blame the society for making katteri open a topic like this..... jus kidding..... but why on earth shud a skill be left to one gender to b mastered..... wats wrong in men in knowing and mastering a skill like cooking....coz everybody eats food and wat can produce more happiness that relishing ones own creation and boasting abt it ;)..... wud definitely like to know the view of a person who votes "NO" for the topic.....

Bluelotus
03-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Vasan:

I read some were the experience of cooking rice and daal and burning things up and patience and how now rice looks like snow and daal like the Sun and so on.. And even how people can live on peanut butter (which is also called in a variety of names in strange places.. ) and toast..

Did you also read it Blues.. Why does it sound familiar...

On the topic: Men should know how to cook. Of course. Otherwise who will teach their soon to be wifes.. Shidinesh:

:sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:
Sri_gan:

This is the true fact. Srikiramari irrukum athan unmai.

:nono: It is no Laughing matter young men....it is very serious topic.
(3 verum rumba rumba vilundu vilundu sirikiringa...ethukkum konjum kavanam... :ee: )
ppl should learn to cook ...I totally agree with Comenaughty and others of the same opinion :think:

Vasan Dude...Vegimite and Marmite is the same thing...it's yeast extract popular in their respective countries....(ask Dinesh he should know abt it)....course americans never seem to know these things....so had to substitute peanut butter for them...like anybody could live on peanut butter for ever w/o starting to gag :Ksp:
(anyway Daddy was kinda behind the times...now u have pot-noodle, pizza hut, and knorr soup and lot more besides)

I dunno wot's so funny abt snowy rice and sunny daal...it's very yummy on an empty tummy.

HA! abt men teaching their wives....have yet to see that one
I would recommend the poor down-trodden wives to get real...and get some Cordon-Bleu lessons pronto....otherwise they'll most likely end-up in the GI (gastro-intestinal) ward with food poisoning.

sagi
03-10-2004, 10:10 AM
May be a little change to the question? "does women expect thier hub to know the greatest KALAI "cooking"?" heheheheheh......:lol:

Why not? My dad is a good good. My best friend is a good cook....when they are at home I don't go to kitchen at all.. [ aana antha rendum aathula irukirathu only sundays thaangira visayam naan solla virumbhala...and also the next day wash panna vara lady enkita kurai solarathayum naan solla virumbhala.....antha lady kurai solluthunnu naan atha wash panna poi en nails ellam odaicha kathaiyum inga venam] :lol:

But still it's good that they don't buy me pizza when i am sick. Since they know cooking they make food for me..so it's safe guys.better learn..hehehehe

ethum doubts enda en kita kelunga naan solli tharen [ appakita kettu] heheheh