PDA

View Full Version : Onion Chutney - Vengaaya chutney (Best for Idly, Dosai)

Shy
12-02-2003, 12:57 AM
வெங்காய சட்டினி

Assured for Trying - நீங்கள் இதை முயற்சி செய்யலாம்.

Onion - 1
Red Chillies - 8
Curry Leaves - a few
Tamarind - goosberry size
Salt to taste
Jaggery very little

(1) Fry the red chillies in a little oil. Make sure u maintain the red color in them and NEVER turn them to black. Because for this chutney red chillies should be in red color. Once fried, take and keep it aside

(2) In the same oil, fry the curry leaves and keep it aside. Then the onion and after frying keep it aside.

(4) Clean the tamarind with ur hand, NO WATER, take of any unneccesary stem like things, then put it in oil and fry it for a less than a minute.

(5) NO WATER required. Now grind the red chilli first into a powder, then to that add curry leaves, tamarind, onion and salt. Grind it to a smooth paste.

(6) Remove it from mixie and add a very small amount of jaggery.

Now there are 2 ways u can use this chutney

I) U can take this paste, put it in a bowl, add gingelly oil(2-3 tablespoons). Enjoy it with dosai or idly.

II)In a tava, add 2-3 tablespoons of gingelly oil, put few mustard seeds, urad dhal, add this paste, keep in very heat and keep on stirring till it becomes thick(U can see that the onion color changes to red and also the oil will float above the chutney). Tamil'la surula surula kindanum'nu soluvaanga

Avalavu thaan.. super'a irukum... idly'o dosai'o sapitutae irukalaam with this chutney....

This chutney can be kept in a tight container for few weeks, too

Minik, hope u enjoy..

But guys, beware 8 red chillies will be REAL HOT, so those u want mild chutney reduce the number of red chillies ok, like 5-6 ok?

Shy

Minik
12-02-2003, 01:31 AM
Thankyou shy so much. I am going to try this tomorrow.

vasan
12-02-2003, 01:45 AM
hi.. ya..

indha recipe-ah ippadiyae naanum try panni-irruken.. ore oru modification: neenga red letter pottu sonna 'warning' nallave theriyum... :) So I used only 1/4th... Not bad :)

Wow.. at last, there is some food (even if its only a chutney) that even I can do..

nandri, shy !

12-02-2003, 04:49 AM
I use tomato instead of tamarind & it comes out good too...if anyone wants to try