PDA

View Full Version : LIKE ROSGOLLA-PLS READ THIS BEFORE EATING

aburvaraagam
12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
THERE IS ACID IN YOUR ROSOGULLA

Before you pop the next rosogolla , think twice. It might contain a hazardous acid often used for cleaning toilets, says an official survey in West Bengal .

The survey by the state milk federation found that many small shop owners were selling sweetmeats made of casein — the main ingredient in such products — that had been prepared with muriatic acid.

Casein should be prepared with citric acid, but milk traders and sweetmeat makers find muriatic acid cheaper. Muriatic acid is, however, considered harmful for health.

The government is believed to be considering ways of handling the "sensitive issue" because of larger public health concerns.

"The government is looking into the matter. This is a sensitive issue because on the one hand there is the question of public health and on the other a large casein-making industry," according to animal husbandry department official Jayanta Dutta Gupta.

Usually casein is supplied to sweetmeat makers from villages. The casein is then washed with water before being used in sweets like rosogolla and sandesh . But traces of muriatic acid remain in the cleaned casein.

The government is caught in a bind because it is stressing on preparing casein through automatic machines, but that again will mean loss of jobs for villagers involved in making casein.

"A balance has to be struck," said Dutta Gupta adding that another survey would soon start to find a remedy to the situation.

Sweetmeat makers are trying to defend themselves by saying there is no way they can find out what their suppliers are using to prepare the casein.

"We get all our casein from villages. We have no means to check what is used to make it," says Sanat Mistry, a sweetmeat shop owner.

West Bengal 's sweetmeat industry is worth about Rs 20 billion and it employs about ten lakh people. The state has about a lakh big and small sweet shops.

The state's sweetmeat industry is undergoing a technological transformation to brace for competition from the confectionery and ice cream industries.

It also perceives a threat to traditional sweets from new patenting laws and is registering its indigenous products before a foreign company hijacks the rosogolla or mishti doi .

Bengali sweetmeats have a good demand in the markets of Europe and the US .

Some innovative sweetmeat makers in the city have introduced "herbal sweets" that are being certified by food technologists as not only safe but also high in medicinal and food value.

West Bengal has given the world at least 40 varieties of sweetmeats, some of which are available only in the state. The rosogolla is perhaps the most famous of the lot.

Shy
12-02-2003, 06:02 PM
aburv.. enna eppadi soliteenga.. enga north indian stores'la nalla kadaikarathu athu onnu thaan.. :(.. ennoda aasaila eppadi mannai pootuteengalae..

Shy

aburvaraagam
12-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Shy ennakkum romba pidicha sweet adhuthaan. Enna pannaradhu idhu ennoda article illai,padichadhai share panninen. Ippo thaan ellathuleyum kalapadam aagudhe.

Shy
12-02-2003, 06:11 PM
mm... :think: :think: :think: .. mmm udanae recipe post panraen for this sweet :)

enemael veetula hygenic'a saenchu sapidalaam

Shy

vedha79
12-02-2003, 06:16 PM
haiyooo guys rasagolla is my favorite. i am so shocked n disappointed by this messages. :( can't something be done about this? everytime i see rasagolla this will flash in my mind.... :cry:

vedha79
12-02-2003, 06:18 PM
mm... :think: :think: :think: .. mmm udanae recipe post panraen for this sweet :)

enemael veetula hygenic'a saenchu sapidalaam

Shy

shy,

its a good idea. i too have done rasagolla at home few times. it has come out to an extent. not bad. i too will post a recipie in the same topic u post for rasagolla making.

aburvaraagam
12-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Pls seekiram post pannunga naanum veetila panni saapidalam.

vedha79
12-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Pls seekiram post pannunga naanum veetila panni saapidalam.

HI ABURVARAAGAM CHECK OUT THE LINK BELOW....

http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4267

aburvaraagam
12-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Once again thanks a tonne vedha for the recipe.

vennai1
12-02-2003, 09:19 PM
oh my god... ab,vedha and jsi, your husbands/lovers are really lucky to have you !

wonder when someone will make razzgullaa for me !! :(

Shy
12-02-2003, 09:33 PM
oh my god... ab,vedha and jsi, your husbands/lovers are really lucky to have you !

vennai.. kavalai'a vedunga... see for urself.. naanga ellam kathukutti.. avanga vanthu international level'la namba oor payasam'la irunthu...india sweets rasagolla, international chocolate cake varaikkum saenchu asatha pooraanga..
appo naanga ellam pavama ungalai paathutu irupoom :)..
then neenga/unga wife(lover) manasu vachu antha secret recipes post pana thaan undu :(

Shy

king_143
12-03-2003, 12:37 AM
For those who get packet milk,

Farmers use soap ( easy and cheap) to pass the fat test , and It is harmful to health. This case has been reported in Nagpur. But in TN farmers use sugar to make their milk pass their test.

vennai1
12-03-2003, 12:41 AM
vennai.. kavalai'a vedunga... see for urself.. naanga ellam kathukutti.. avanga vanthu international level'la namba oor payasam'la irunthu...india sweets rasagolla, international chocolate cake varaikkum saenchu asatha pooraanga..
appo naanga ellam pavama ungalai paathutu irupoom ..
then neenga/unga wife(lover) manasu vachu antha secret recipes post pana thaan undu

Shy

jsi... yen...ippadi elaam solli you are making me envy...

namma party international venaam...local range pannaale i will be a happy man... ! :P

vedha79
12-03-2003, 01:18 AM

VENNAI KAVALAIYA VIDUNGA.....UNGALUKKU VARUM MANAIVI ROMBA SUPEROOOOOOO SUPERRRRRRRRR AAAAAAAAAA SAMAIPANGA.....!!!!!

vennai1
12-03-2003, 01:43 AM
VENNAI KAVALAIYA VIDUNGA.....UNGALUKKU VARUM MANAIVI ROMBA SUPEROOOOOOO SUPERRRRRRRRR AAAAAAAAAA SAMAIPANGA.....!!!!!

vedhaa...yen ippadi sollura... avalukku naan thaan solli koduthukittu irukken...

ithula nee veraa ippadi elaam solli kaduppu yethure... :Ksp: :(

vedha79
12-03-2003, 04:14 AM

vedhaa...yen ippadi sollura... avalukku naan thaan solli koduthukittu irukken...

ithula nee veraa ippadi elaam solli kaduppu yethure... :Ksp: :(

oh ungaluku engage acha? congrats !!!!don't worry she will quickly learn out of her experience...!!!

before marriage no girl knows to cook well ..it comes out of experience.

vasan
12-03-2003, 04:25 AM
Aburvaraagam,

How true is this message? The way it sounds, we should be seeing some serious epidemic in West Bengal. People have been consuming Rasgullas for ages and many shopes pretty much use the same recipe and ingredients as well..

As for as people in this forum..... the message, even if quotes reliable information, it only talks about small shops in West Bengal... It does not talk about all the shops nor about the tinned variety you find in Indian Grocery shops in US...

I have had this several times - and I am NOT 'exactly' sick.. (you might call me a sick person, but thats another story... !!). And so far as I know its pretty safe...

:) ofcourse, if some kind hearted folks (Shy, are you listening... SHY... !!) and moderators, think it is unsafe, and want to protect our health, please make some every now and then, and send it to us.. :) We would be eternally grateful - all the elaichi, and some talented 'kai-manam' kooda.. oh.. wow...

I think we tend to get too worried about food - and pause not to ask if this info could be wrong.. ? Me... I always question authority, and occasionally listen to their answers !!

aburvaraagam
12-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Vasan

Neenga ketkara question is correct,but i read this article in a newspaper yesterday. Also u can read the same article in Deccan Chronicle newspaper.

I am not a scientist to do research on this n say if it is true or not. I just wanted to share wat i read in the paper that s all. Moreover i never stopped anyone from eating Rosogullas.

vasan
12-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Aburvaraagam,

Please don't take it to be a personal criticism. I am not complaining about your post - but was kinda surprised at the reaction we got from everyone.

As often the case, most news papers indulge in 'exaggerating' their stories - and very easily condemn or praise anything without adequate reasoning. It then becomes our onus to check the truth in each message. Often it results in unnecessary panic or worry... Have seen it several times happening.

My post was merely to point out the possible loop holes in the original article. Ultimately neither of us can change any one from eat or abstain from anything.

The content of my post still stands the same - but if you feel it implied any criticisms on you, my apologies. That was not my intention.

Thanks!

aburvaraagam
12-03-2003, 06:46 PM
No probs vasan ......none taken

vennai1
12-03-2003, 10:45 PM
siva ennikki criticisms elaam pathi kavalai pattirukaa... u dont worry smelly man.

keep eating all the razzgollas you get.. nee west usa paathuka.. i will take care of east ;) ;)

cselva
12-03-2003, 10:52 PM
thanx alot for the useful info.whenever i got o sweet shop i go mad on rasagulla but i made up my mind to make it at home with given recipe