PDA

View Full Version : Home made food for infants

anitam
12-03-2003, 12:55 AM

king_143
12-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Hi anitam,
I dont see anything. Whats the problem?
My suggestion, Feed infants with mothers milk, Best food at least for first three months as far as I heard

anitam
12-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Hi,

I ahd some pbms in posting it..Sorry
I have 7 month old baby. Now i'm giving gerber foods. I want to start home made food. Please post some Indian food. Can anyone help me in this. Thanks in advance.

king_143
12-03-2003, 01:30 AM
If you have a son then give him lot of milk that would really help it digest really quick. And never even think of giving egg to your child unitil they are 12 years of old that my own personal suggestion.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are not medically proven or approved. Its upto the readers to decide.

anitam
12-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Thanks.. Mr.King_143

until 12 years....???
is it 12 months? I just want to make sure.

king_143
12-03-2003, 01:49 AM
yes it is 12 years , its beacause egg cannot be digested easlily its better not to give until the child is capable of digesting it.

butterfly
12-03-2003, 04:03 AM
anitam,
check www.indianparenting.com...it gives some information in there...

yes it is 12 years , its beacause egg cannot be digested easlily its better not to give until the child is capable of digesting it.

King,
Are u sure about this?...coz usually kids grow out of their allergy by 3 yrs...& they are usullay allergic to egg whites..coz of the 3 protein in it called ovomucoid, ovalbumin and conalbumin.

anitam
12-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks for ur responses. I think its better to give the egg later.

Minik
12-03-2003, 07:29 PM
I personally think its okay to give egg from 6 months, but you should only give a little at a time especially only the yoke, to see if the kid is okay with it and not allergic to the yoke and after 12 months you could slowly give whites little at a time. not the whole egg but 1/4 may be just to see how the kid is taking it. You could do it when you are having your egg and just give the kid to taste it.

One more thing after the kid is 9 month old and if he/she has the teeth then slowly introduce the kid to what adult eat but smash it up with your fingers/spoon before you give it to her/him. I did all this to my 2 year old kid when she was 7 months old. Mainly her food was ragi.

sundaraveena
12-03-2003, 07:41 PM
The pediatricians at Framingham Pediatrics, P.C. in Framingham, Massachusetts offered us some valuable information about when and how to introduce solid foods to your baby. In a nutshell (but no nuts!), here's what they said:

Only a few generations ago was it deemed permissable to feed babies solid food in the first few weeks of their life. However, research in later years proved that babies who were fed solid food too early fell deficient in two major ways: many developed food allergies since their intestines weren't mature enough to digest the solid food, and many developed iron and protien deficiencies, since food doesn't have nearly the amount of iron and protien that human breast milk holds. In offense, doctors began recommending a longer waiting period before starting infants on solid foods.

According to pediatricians at Framingham Pediatrics, begin your infant with single-ingredient sold foods. They should be introduced one at a time, to allow baby to get used to them. Do not begin with feeding solid food to your infant every day; instead, feed him once every five or six days to allow his system time to adjust. Then, begin routine solid feedings more often as she becomes used to it.

Not only do babies need time to adjust in digesting the solid food, it is also imperative during this time that babies properly develop the jaw, teeth, tongue, and swallowing muscles badly needed to eat the food. In addition, learning to eat from a spoon is a process that should be taken slowly. Talk to your pediatrician about the right time to begin feeding your child solid foods.

Cereals First
Stage 1 foods begin with rice cereal, which contains the highest levels of iron, a basic necessity for fast-growing infants. Mix one teaspoon of rice cereal for every 4 to 5 teaspoons breastmilk to make it easier to digest. Do not place food in the bottle - learning to eat from a spoon is just as important in baby's development as eating the food itself. Since rice cereal is constipating, if your infant is already having constipation problems, try oatmeal instead. Feed her one solid meal every 5 or 6 days, then build up gradually from there. When the time comes to feed baby solid food once a day (again, check with your pediatrician about when to introduce solid food to your baby according to your baby's needs), choose a meal when there's plenty of time. Most new parents choose dinnertime since they aren't rushing off to work, and have time to fend off all the bites that baby spits out. Work up to a second meal. Somewhere around the 6 month mark your baby should be eating three meals a day.

Introduce Solid Food in This Order:

Rice cereal/oatmeal
Other cereals
Fruits, one at a time
Yellow vegetables
Green vegetables
You may also add fruit juices when you introduce fruits - an important added source of Vitamin C. Check with your doctor about the best kinds of fruit juices.

The Rest of the Story
Once baby is eating three solid meals of strained vegetables, fruits, and cereals, she should be around the sixth month. Once your baby can sit up by herself, you may begin to add the Stage 2 foods like meat, cheese, and finger foods. Meat cut up into small pieces can be fed to your baby after at least 6 months; meat should not be tough or chewy but easy to swallow (tuna fish is a good starter meat). Cheeses are good sources of protien for your infant; be sure to cut them into very small pieces. Cheerios and pieces of toast or crackers are fun to babies because they're crunchy, and also teach baby the important feed-myself technique. Lastly, pieces of fruit and vegetables may be cut up in small pieces for your baby sometime around nine months.

Eggs
Talk to your pediatrician about when to start feeding your child eggs. If begun too soon, your baby's immature intenstinal tract may react poorly and cause a food allergy, which is common. Most babies don't eat eggs until they're about 9 months old.

Cow's Milk
Your baby should not drink any cow's milk until she's at least one year old. Not nearly as high in protien as breast milk or infant formula, substituting cow's milk for human milk can cause later problems with anemia and iron deficiency. Yogurt and cheese as supplement to a human milk diet are perfectly acceptable. Once she's old enough, be sure to supply your baby with whole cow's milk - she needs the fat and protien to help her quickly growing body.

Avoid

Foods easy to choke on, like raisins, nuts, popcorn, berries, and grapes.
Hot dogs, unless you split them in half lengthwise before cutting them up
Honey (wait until after baby's first year), because it may develop into botulism.
---
www.modernstork.com

jksindhu2002
12-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Hi,

I ahd some pbms in posting it..Sorry
I have 7 month old baby. Now i'm giving gerber foods. I want to start home made food. Please post some Indian food. Can anyone help me in this. Thanks in advance.

Knead biled toor dal with rice. Add a little salt, Ghee and rasam. Add some boiled vegetables also. Knead them well and feed the baby. It will like it. I'm sure...

anitam
12-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Thanks sindhu.....

honey
02-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Ragi is very good food for kids.If u can get that u can make kanji and give kid once per day.Very nutritious.

honey
02-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Ragi is very good food for kids.If u can get that u can make kanji and give kid once per day.Very nutritious.

sagi
02-20-2004, 08:17 AM
mother milk is the best......

kathiravan
02-23-2004, 12:28 PM
i am living in france and i am having a six month baby; our baby doctor suggested us to give vegetables from fifth month. potatoes,carrot,peas,beans,som e green leaves such as salad leaves, u can mix then in an average amount and boil thel with some ghee or butter and a little amount of salt to taste then grind them and feed the baby. it will be nutritious.from sixth month onwards u can add some fish peices and chicken pieces i think.

kathiravan
02-23-2004, 12:29 PM
i am living in france and i am having a six month baby; our baby doctor suggested us to give vegetables from fifth month. potatoes,carrot,peas,beans,som e green leaves such as salad leaves, u can mix then in an average amount and boil thel with some ghee or butter and a little amount of salt to taste then grind them and feed the baby. it will be nutritious.from sixth month onwards u can add some fish peices and chicken pieces i think.

kathiravan
02-23-2004, 12:49 PM

sagi
02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
that's true. i heard that too....there is a day care for babies just 5 min walk away from my house so i go there often and gt to know these things :)

how is your baby kathiravan?? ummmaaaaaaaaaa and huggs to your baby :)

anitam
02-23-2004, 03:28 PM
kathiravan, are u giving fish and chicken to ur sis month old kid...
My doctor suggested me to introduce those things only by 9 month..

Is it safe to introduce earlier.. ???