hi madhan
this week the whole artcile deals with tanjore temple

sundaraveena
12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
another site with good info
http://www.thanjavur.com/bragathe.htm

katteri
12-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Those who have seen the temple (atleast by photo) cant imagine that the the whole structure is hollow.Visitors are not allowed to the first floor (upon special recomendations and influences i have been there lot of times).In the first floor u can see the sculptures (which shows 108 dancing positons- thats wht iwas told i m not knowledgeable person in dance.).Second floor is what people say these drawings are kept , i havent seen them only one person in my family has seen it .. he descirbes that the leaves, jarikai portraying the paint are made of gold .. there are also rumours that somE ravi vermas painting are there.
If anyone wishes to c let me know b4 2 months so that i can arrange (only upto 1 st floor and not more than 4 people please) only indians are allowed.
More information about the paintings is available in saraswathi mahal...and palace .People who often visit temple forget/neglect to visit saraswathi mahal.which has lots of information .
If u need further info let me know ..Raja raja cholan was the first king to promote democracy ,history has also forgotten kundavai nachiyar sister of raja raja cholan....who played a major role in shapping rajendra cholan (see vandharkal vendrakal for further info by mathan)
Kings often pay a huge amount or donate some land to craftsman..But Raja raja cholan...was the first and last king to raise the craftsman status..See karuvraar temple for further info...behind brahadeeswara shrine.....
engineers will be astonished by seeing the inner construction of the big temple....
Raja raja cholan though love shiva he accepted people from all community.U can see faces of chinese and european on the big temple (u have to c from murugar shrine)

thirudan
12-03-2003, 06:17 PM
kateri one of my friend is visiting TN in Pongal time, (btwn Jan 14 to 25) can u plz arrange some day for that? plz let me know, plz feel free to PM me my friend :) u r from tanjore? I am so happy to know this..:)
thiru...:b: