PDA

View Full Version : Snacks(டிபன்) : Vegetable Puff

anitam
12-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Assured for Trying - நீங்கள் இதை முயற்சி செய்யலாம்.

Vegetable Puff
-----------------

Ingredients:
--------------
1 ready-to-use pastry roll (such as Pepperidge Farms)
Mixed vegetables
Masala, to taste
Green chilies
Salt, to taste

method:
---------
Cook a vegetable mix with potatoes, peas, green chilies and lots of masala. Check for salt before you stuff the mixture into the pastry.

Thaw the roll for approximately 10 minutes before unfolding. After the pastry roll has thawed, open it out on a flat sheet and roll it with a pin to make it a little thinner. The pastry sheet would now be approximately 12x12. Cut the sheet into 6 pieces.

Place 2 to 3 tbsp. of the cooked vegetables onto each portion of pastry and fold it around it. Seal all the corners by pressing the pastry together and applying a little water. Stick the puffs into a pre-heated oven (350°F) for 20 to 30 minutes or until they brown. Make sure that you flip them around every 5 to 10 minutes.

selpra
12-08-2003, 07:17 PM
i was searching for this recipe thanks,anitam.I will give a try and let u know.

anitam
12-08-2003, 08:16 PM
U r welcome.....

madhu_aish1
12-08-2003, 08:52 PM
U r welcome.....

Am I welcomed.. :D .. get me the driving directions.. :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

Shy
09-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Teens intha mathiriyaa u do..

I thought u posted it :oops:

Anyways thanks tinkiii... :poda:

Shy

Teena
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Shy -> I thought I posted the recipe already. Today I will post the recipe here . Yes konjam idhey madri dhan varum.

Shy
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks ma :)

Shy

vasan
09-06-2007, 04:57 PM
You can keep boiled eggs (with a sprinkle of salt and pepper) or deviled eggs.. or non-veg fries too (not deep fried blah..blah. .but pan fried.. :) )..

You get similar puffs.. :ee: :)

v-

butterfly
09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
You can keep boiled eggs (with a sprinkle of salt and pepper) or deviled eggs.. or non-veg fries too (not deep fried blah..blah. .but pan fried.. :) )..

You get similar puffs.. :ee: :)

v-

:Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: ...never heard of boiled egg puffs :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp:

yasodha
09-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Vasan have u heard of Henry Wolsy shop in our place....;) ange neraya kidaikkum suda suda....pattams....my fav...but missing now...:(

vasan
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Muttai bajji-yaavathu sapittu irukeengala? :think:

Same way.. boil the eggs, shell it, cut it into quarters and sprinkle some chilli powder + salt.. and wrap and bake.. :) pretty nice.. B'lore-la enga veetukku pakkathila oru bakery makes it.. Used to eat there all the time... with chai.. :ee: :ee:

v-

butterfly
09-06-2007, 07:15 PM
muttai bhajji sure have had it :p

yaso & anna,
u guys make it sound good...maybe will try after teena posts her recipe ;)

vasan
09-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Vasan have u heard of Henry Wolsy shop in our place

Great place.. :clap: Used to eat there all the time.. :b:

We didn't (don't) have a baking oven at home.. so b'day and christmas cakes too.. :wink:

v-

Teena
09-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Shy->My friend told this recipe to me. This is quite similar to the above only with few changes. Anyway, I'm posting my version of the recipe here.

Vegetable puffs

Ingredients

For the outer cover:
Puff pastry sheets,(available frozen: use pepperidge farm or any other brand),
butter,
In one pastry sheet you can make 3 puffs.

For filling:
small boiled potatoes - 2
fresh green peas – ¼ cup(optional)
chopped beans – ¼ cup
chopped carrots - ¼ cup
garam masala powder - 1 teaspoon
Green chillies – 4 ( fine chopped)
ginger-garlic paste - 2 teaspoon (optional)
chili powder
salt.

Method

1. In a pan, heat 2 teaspoon oil then add ginger-garlic paste.
2. Add add beans and cook till soft then add carrots, boiled potato cubes and cooked peas. Cook well until the vegetables get tender. When it is done add garam masala powder, salt and chili powder. Mash well .
3. Remove from heat . Now the filling is ready.
4. Thaw pastry sheets at room temperature for 30 minutes.(Do not microwave the sheets) Unfold each sheets and cut into strips. Divide each strip into 3 rectangles. Apply butter to each rectangle. Put some filling in the center of the rectangle. Use some butter and join the opposite corners to form a folded shape.
5. Preheat oven to 400 deg. Arrange puffs in a baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes or till crisp and light brown.

Serve with tomato ketchup.

Teena
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM

pats.....egg puffs romba tasteaa irukum:sm05:

yasodha
09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Teena...enakku intha pastry sheetsla irukkura ore disadvantage vanthu....that pack contains some 40 to 50 sheets and that will be in frozen section...how can u divide and take as much as u want????:mad: ellame room temperaturela vacha thaan edukka mudiyuthu otherwise it gets stick to each other...and sometimes me tear those while taking...:oany idea how to take the sheets????

Sri
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Teena...enakku intha pastry sheetsla irukkura ore disadvantage vanthu....that pack contains some 40 to 50 sheets and that will be in frozen section...how can u divide and take as much as u want????:mad: ellame room temperaturela vacha thaan edukka mudiyuthu otherwise it gets stick to each other...and sometimes me tear those while taking...:oany idea how to take the sheets????

Yaz, Pepperidge Farm pastry sheets has only three sheets inside (or maybe four, bot sure) and as Teena says, you can make three puffs with one sheet. :b:

Teena, thanks for the recipe. I don't use the additional butter. The pastry sheets are already dripping with cooking oil, so I skip the butter part. :b:

Sri

yasodha
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Yaz, Pepperidge Farm pastry sheets has only three sheets inside (or maybe four, bot sure) and as Teena says, you can make three puffs with one sheet. :b:

Teena, thanks for the recipe. I don't use the additional butter. The pastry sheets are already dripping with cooking oil, so I skip the butter part. :b:

Sri

Sri..then I was talking about spring roll sheets which comes in square shapes in chinese grocery stores....never tried pepperidge farm's..will give it a try....:thx:

Teena
09-06-2007, 09:59 PM

Yaso..The one I'm getting has only 4 or 6 sheets in a pack. Each sheet is separated and covered with butter paper so it's easy to separate them when you keep in room temp. for 5-10mins. I'm sure you can find small packs. Yeah even if it stays in room temperature few minutes extra it gets sticky.

Shy
09-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Teenu danke :sm03: :sm08:.. will try it this weekend...

pattams... egg puff.. college road la oru famous bakery irukku.. athula sapittu iruken.. appuram namba hotbreads la kedaikkum.. shupera irukkum...

Shy

Sri
09-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Sri..then I was talking about spring roll sheets which comes in square shapes in chinese grocery stores....never tried pepperidge farm's..will give it a try....:thx:

Yaz, ippadi thaan irukkum box:

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/c5/a9/ec/29731308.JPG

Open panninaa, ippadi irukkum:

http://www.cookiemadness.net/almondtartpuffpastry.jpg

A picture is worth 1000 words. :ee: :ee: :ee:

Sri

yasodha
09-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Sri....:hug:mikka nadri...:)

Teena...sure will try to buy that....thankyou...:hug:

Athu sari yaarume Chinese pastry sheets use panninathu illaya???spring roll sheets...kutti kuttiya square shapela irukkum...that comes in like 50 to 100 counts also in one pack...thats why me confuse aanen...:) Sri potta picturela doubt clear aachu....:p

vasan
09-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Bye the way, the pepperidge farms one..

You can have a nice fruit filling.. some marmalade and cottage cheese crumbles and such would also make an excellent dessert.. :wink:

wowwieee.. :wink:

v-

Teena
09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Teenu danke :sm03: :sm08:.. will try it this weekend...

pattams... egg puff.. college road la oru famous bakery irukku.. athula sapittu iruken.. appuram namba hotbreads la kedaikkum.. shupera irukkum...

Shy

Also in J&M sons bakery it tastes great. In JM I usually go for paneer puffs and mutton puffs...........hmmmmmmmmm yummy. I miss those days.:mad:

vasan
09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Do you get nicely layered puffs, with spring roll sheets, Yaso? :think: hmm..

v-

yasodha
09-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Do you get nicely layered puffs, with spring roll sheets, Yaso? :think: hmm..

v-

Duh Vasan...me thought only those are the pastry sheets....:mad: athu size appadi chinnatha irukkum...but never tried samosas or puffs athula...so was only asking about that...:oops:

Shy
09-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Also in J&M sons bakery it tastes great. In JM I usually go for paneer puffs and mutton puffs...........hmmmmmmmmm yummy. I miss those days.:mad:

paneer puffs.. athu inge vanthu thaan try paninen.. antha road side la verym veggie or egg thaan kedaikum.. but super tastyaa irukkum :ee:

i bet anainar athe kadaila sapittu irupaar ;)

Shy

butterfly
09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
pats.....egg puffs romba tasteaa irukum:sm05:

teena,
so with egg wat stuffing to use?

tinker
09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
teena,
so with egg wat stuffing to use?

konjam rice / raitha appuram chips and aloo fry or put some chicky or fish ...

egg dhaango stuffingeee

Teena
09-06-2007, 10:54 PM
sorry pats.....I don't know. I have only tasted in bakery never tried at home.

tinker
09-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Pattams - idhu paarungo ...
http://srefoodblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/curried-onion-egg-puffs.html

butterfly
09-06-2007, 10:58 PM
konjam rice / raitha appuram chips and aloo fry or put some chicky or fish ...

egg dhaango stuffingeee

duhhhhh :)...i meant the masala to go with egg...like meatna we can add potato & garam masala along with chilli powder & coriander....so saptavangale ketten epdi taste...wat wud be in with egg nu..

teens,
no worries :)

butterfly
09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Pattams - idhu paarungo ...
http://srefoodblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/curried-onion-egg-puffs.html

Thankssssssssssssss tinker :sm08:....will try this weekend :p

Shy
09-10-2007, 10:31 PM
http://www.cookiemadness.net/almondtartpuffpastry.jpg

1. In a pan, heat 2 teaspoon oil then add ginger-garlic paste.
2. Add add beans and cook till soft then add carrots, boiled potato cubes and cooked peas. Cook well until the vegetables get tender. When it is done add garam masala powder, salt and chili powder. Mash well .
3. Remove from heat . Now the filling is ready.
4. Thaw pastry sheets at room temperature for 30 minutes.(Do not microwave the sheets) Unfold each sheets and cut into strips. Divide each strip into 3 rectangles. Apply butter to each rectangle. Put some filling in the center of the rectangle. Use some butter and join the opposite corners to form a folded shape.
5. Preheat oven to 400 deg. Arrange puffs in a baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes or till crisp and light brown.

Question Teens and anyone..

bold paninathai senchathum, u get three rectangle aa already irukku right?? appuram yen again divide each strip into 3 rectangles...

naadula vachu... corners join panita avalo thaane...

kinda confused teena

"Unfold each sheets and cut into strips. Divide each strip into 3 rectangles. Apply butter to each rectangle. Put some filling in the center of the rectangle. "

is urs different shape other than this:

http://wowcurries.com/curries/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/img_0125.jpg

Shy

vasan
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Each sheet comes folded in three such pieces, teacher. Cut them into 4 smaller (approximately) squares.

So you will get 3x4 = 12 small squares. Stuff things inside, pack the edges, shove into the oven..

presto.. puff is ready.. :wink:

~~~~~~~~

Me too tried yesterday.. jeez.. that pastry sheet has too much of butter/oil whatever in it.. :Ksp: came out nice.. made six with potato and six with egg.. :wink: :oops: Being a vegetarian, I ate only the potato.. :ee:

Puffs-kooda cilantro garnish pannuveengala? vittaa Birthday-cake-la kooda candle-kku padhilaa stalks of cilantro thaan ninnuttu irukkum pola irukke.. :wink: :) But paarka romba nallaa irukku.. :sm05:

kalakkiteenga, teacher.. :sm08: :sm08:

v-

yasodha
09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Shyyyyyyyy awesomea irukku....kalakureenga ponga....:sm05::sm05::sm05:

Vasan...sonna pathaathu photo enga????:sm100:

vasan
09-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Also.. I don't know about your places.. but in LA I paid six bucks for the pastry sheets. Filling-kku cook pannittu (eggs boil panni, shell panni.. oh.. man.. 1008 velai.. :doh: ).. 5 minutes sapittu mudichaachu.. :snooty:

Decided: Easier to just walk down to the indian food place and just buy them.. :ee: Considering all the labor and cost, way cheaper to buy it straight up.. :)

v-

yasodha
09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Also.. I don't know about your places.. but in LA I paid six bucks for the pastry sheets. Filling-kku cook pannittu (eggs boil panni, shell panni.. oh.. man.. 1008 velai.. :doh: ).. 5 minutes sapittu mudichaachu.. :snooty:

Decided: Easier to just walk down to the indian food place and just buy them.. :ee: Considering all the labor and cost, way cheaper to buy it straight up.. :)

v-

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:andav aa....lazy fellow Vasan....:lol:

vasan
09-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Vasan...sonna pathaathu photo enga????:sm100:

மனுஷாள் சொல்லுறதல கொஞ்சமாவது நம்பிக்கை வைக்கனும்.. :snooty:
பொண்ணு பாக்குறதுக ்கு போட்டோ ok.. Puff-க்கு கூட போட்டோ கேட்டா எப்படிங்க மேடம்? :Ksp:

v-

Shy
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks vasan..

acho athu ennoda thu illai.. athu mathiriyaa size kettu iruntheen..

me doing it now :ee:

egg and vege ones ;)

Shy

vasan
09-10-2007, 10:58 PM
egg and vege ones :wink:

Shy

See.. if egg is vegetarian, you wouldn't have said egg and vege.. :dance: :dance: maatikiteengala? :dance:

photo podunga.. please.. :sm03:

v-

Shy
09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
See.. if egg is vegetarian, you wouldn't have said egg and vege.. :dance: :dance: maatikiteengala? :dance:

photo podunga.. please.. :sm03:

v-

silarkku puriyatthu vasan.. is egg also vege kepaangalaa.. avangalukku thaan... u pisthus of india .. u know ;)

Shy

Shy
09-10-2007, 11:29 PM
:ee: awesomeeeeeeeee

Teenaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaa

Made 3 egg and 3 vege...

not much butter or oil vasan :think: me didnt use the butter to close it.. but instead used konjam water thou...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8571/puffsji7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Shy

yasodha
09-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Shy appo munnadi post panninathu unga pic illaya....:eek:

wowie....excellent presentation....:sm05::)

vasan
09-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Haiyaa.. hubby-kku onnu, tinker-kku onnu, vasan-kku onnu-nu azhagaa 3 in each seythu irukkeengale.. Achoo.. you're choooww.. chooww chweet.. :wink: :ee: teacher pola varumaa.. :sm05:

One is mint chutney (or cilantro), the other is maggie hot/sour sauce.. third? :think:

v-

ps: just pressed the edges and closed it.. didn't use water.. and definitely no oil or butter.. I am talking about the butter in the pastry sheet itself, teacher.. :wink:

Shy
09-11-2007, 01:12 AM
one is kitchen.. one is green chutney.. innoonu.. bombay sweet chutney... made with dates (?) not sure.. but chatkku use panuvaangale.. athu :)

hmm... i didnt see much oil or butter vasan :think: konjam irunthathu.. but not that much thou..

Shy

Shy
09-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Shy appo munnadi post panninathu unga pic illaya....:eek:

wowie....excellent presentation....:sm05::)

athu tinker sona sitela paarthen yaso... enakku cut panrathukku konjam confuseda irunthathu.. so post pani size confirm panittu irunthen :)

Vasan..

egg puffs vanthu.. yolk yeduthu..mixed with onion masala and then stuffed it ;)

Shy

tinker
09-11-2007, 01:24 AM
teacher - directa Italy lerndhu imported pola ;) ...

V :yes: :yes: :yes: ....

vasan
09-11-2007, 01:59 AM
i didnt see much oil or butter vasan :think: konjam irunthathu.. but not that much thou...

Aaaangggh.. okay.. okay.. :wink: namma levelkku konjam kammi thaan.. :ee: :ee:

egg puffs vanthu.. yolk yeduthu..mixed with onion masala and then stuffed it :wink:

:wink: :wink:

Teacher, do you know how to make deviled eggs? :wink: boil egg, slice them.. take the yolk and make nice masala mix with onion etc, just like you did.. and put the masala (make a round dollop) back inside the egg whites and close it.. or serve half sliced.. :)

Goes very well with rasam etc.. :) :)

v-

Sri
09-11-2007, 02:11 AM
http://wowcurries.com/curries/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/img_0125.jpg

Shy

Is this what you made?

Made 3 egg and 3 vege...

not much butter or oil vasan :think: me didnt use the butter to close it.. but instead used konjam water thou...

Shy

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: It's awesome.

Presentation: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03:

But, mine comes like the first picture you posted, all crusty and oily / buttery.

Shyyyyy... it's too oily / buttery even after I close it using water. How come you did feel it? :sm100:

Sri

Shy
09-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Acho....

first picture.. tinker kuduthasite la irunthu.. asking teena if the size shud be like that nu :oops:

second thaan mine :ee:

enna ellarum ippadi solreenga..

hotbreadsla sapida mathiri thaan konjam irunthathu. it wasnt that buttery or oily as u guess say

Shy

Teena
09-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Made 3 egg and 3 vege...

Shy

I don't know how come I missed the previous posts.:rolleyes::(

adadadadada yenna oru presentation......kalareengha shy:agree: Looks so yummyyyyy:sm05:idhey madri dahn yennakum vandhuchu.........if it's not brown enough to see I sometimes broil for 2 mins to get the color. Anyway you've got the perfect color.:)

butterfly
09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't know how come I missed the previous posts.:rolleyes::(

adadadadada yenna oru presentation......kalareengha shy:agree: Looks so yummyyyyy:sm05:idhey madri dahn yennakum vandhuchu.........if it's not brown enough to see I sometimes broil for 2 mins to get the color. Anyway you've got the perfect color.:)

Looks very yummyyyyyy :sm11: :sm11: :sm11:

Teena
09-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Shy, adhu yennena 3 side dishes with the puffs.:think:

patttams neengha yeppo yennaku senju thara porrengha........becoz I'm lazy.:doh:

vasan
09-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Shy, adhu yennena 3 side dishes with the puffs.:think:

one is kitchen.. one is green chutney.. innoonu.. bombay sweet chutney... made with dates (?) not sure.. but chatkku use panuvaangale.. athu :)

neengalum namma katchi.. don't read the previous page.. :wink: :wink: and.. neengallum..

becoz I'm lazy.:doh:

naanum konjam konjam athu maathiri thaan.. :ee: :sm12:
v-

Teena
09-14-2007, 09:52 PM
yes previous page seriya pakala:o

adhenna one is kitchen:think:

yasodha
09-14-2007, 09:59 PM
yes previous page seriya pakala:o

adhenna one is kitchen:think:

Innaiku ellarum vedikkaiya pesareenga....:sm36: