PDA

View Full Version : Quotes about India.

silican
01-04-2004, 11:46 PM
1) We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made. Albert Einstein.

2) India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend and the great grand mother of tradition. Mark Twain.

3) If there is one place on the face of earth where all dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India. French scholar Romain Rolland.

4)India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.[i]Hu Shih.(Former Chinese ambassador to USA)[/i[/b]

priyarock
01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Thatz nice to hear about Foreigners praising about India, Iam proud of it as an Indian. We must also accept that China, Germany , france also have their own rich culture and tradition. It would be much pleasant if Unity and harmony prevails through out the world.

This is the first time i came across these quotes..nice ones...
cheers

Shy
01-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Good one silican... First time i hear abt these quotes... Rally proud.. thanks for sharing :)

Shy

sri_gan
01-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Morpheus,

No one can disagree with the above said words.

Except the Einstein's Quote, the others were new to me.

Good work. :clap:

Comenaughty
01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
the problem with indians.... we relish too much on our history.... ok accepted.... Einstein accoladed us.... but wat abt the present and the future... we r still a developing nation... rnt we? most of u wu d have heard this.... but lemme put it again.... in a conversation between an indian and an american, the indian, as usual, was boasting of history, the past, the vedas, etc and etc..... the american... simply said... i accept we dont have an amazing history like urs to talk about..... but.... now we are doing something which our great grand children will cherish talking about as "history"....

in MY opinion.... its time we leave the history aside and think of progressing!!!!

naughty

suryalover
01-05-2004, 05:54 PM
I am proud about the past...
And looking forward for the better future....
Thinking about the good past is a vitamin to work for the future..
Note thinking about the good past...
But too much of thinking should be avoided..

These quotes are really nice one and I heared few of them before..
Thanks for the Informartion Silican... :wink:

sri_gan
01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Naughty,

You might need to check one more topic called Hindi vs. Tamil, read it completely.

Shy
01-05-2004, 06:44 PM
the problem with indians.... we relish too much on our history.... ok accepted.... Einstein accoladed us.... but wat abt the present and the future... we r still a developing nation... rnt we? most of u wu d have heard this.... but lemme put it again.... in a conversation between an indian and an american, the indian, as usual, was boasting of history, the past, the vedas, etc and etc..... the american... simply said... i accept we dont have an amazing history like urs to talk about..... but.... now we are doing something which our great grand children will cherish talking about as "history"....

in MY opinion.... its time we leave the history aside and think of progressing!!!!

naughty

naughty, I accept partially that we need to set aside boosting abt our history and think abt progessing... but I wont accept that we havent progressed anywhere when compared to others.

Look their great grand grand children.. yaethai history'a paesuvaanga sollunga.. appadi enna chaenchutaanga these americans... whats have they done to boost themselves.. except for Iraq, afganistan :)....Also Enna thaan IT owners enga irunthaalum.. most of the work is done by Indian, chinese and Russians.. Oru whole just pure american company iruka sollunga.. they can never survive.. they need our support all long...thats our success.. eppo off shore ellam we have.... even in their worst economy.. what else.. Sure India is the best and from 50 years from now.. we still will have rich history than theirs.

Shy

Comenaughty
01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
well,
think my statements have not been interpreted the right way... india had a very good ancient and the way at which it was progressing, it shud have been well on top by now... then y havent we achieved that position?

and shy,
everyone here knows americans are good managers/task masters.... and its a known fact that intellectually indians are one step ahead of americans.... u can say that every american company has indians slogging out...but who gets the maximum benefit? in very few cases, an indian benefits

naughty

Shy
01-05-2004, 08:18 PM
well,
think my statements have not been interpreted the right way... india had a very good ancient and the way at which it was progressing, it shud have been well on top by now... then y havent we achieved that position?

naughty... India has a very good history right and we were growing tremendously when bristish started ruling us. and we actually started from scratch in 1947.. but american think panni paarunga.. they started in 1620's and by 1780's they has got rid of all native americans and got hold of the place and started well off. From that time appo appo they had few wars.. they are collection of people who settled in america.. so they wont fight their own home countries back.. so they had few enemies.. thus noone slaved them like ours. so they started of well and had progressed better.. now they are in the top...

But for india.. even thou it had a great history.. becaus of british slavery.. we have to come up again from 1947.. within this short span of time.. we have come to a position where the world can identify us and we becoming an important factor everywhere.. this is real growth. so athaan solraen.. in 50-100 years we will sure lead the world.. if this progression is steady...

Shy

katteri
01-05-2004, 09:30 PM
It was really nice to c these quotes.
One thing abt India :
For many centuries indian kings always want to make a peaceful land for the people.Thats the main reason history has not emphasized much on the braveness of indian kings.Napolean, alexander etc are very brutal towards their enemies. India is the only land where all religions are accepted. For example if u go to tanjore big temple u can see faces of different religion people are sculptured.(u have to standin lord murugan temple and c the tower)
Ithu than ennova vajpayee kooda peace talks ku pokirar.
Let us pray to god to make this talks highly successful, bcos if this succeeds our economy will improve.

Comenaughty
01-06-2004, 05:00 AM
But for india.. even thou it had a great history.. becaus of british slavery.. we have to come up again from 1947.. within this short span of time.. we have come to a position where the world can identify us and we becoming an important factor everywhere.. this is real growth. so athaan solraen.. in 50-100 years we will sure lead the world.. if this progression is steady...

hrd abt the country JAPAN? r u coming to tell me india suffered more than them????????

naughty

vedha79
01-06-2004, 04:15 PM
hi silican,

thats really a cool posting. I've never read any of these quotes before. India Is Just Amazing n Great !!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE MY COUNTRY !!!!!!!!!! I Am Proud To BE An Indian !!!! all those quotes gave me goosebumps !!!!!!!!

Shy
01-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Japan nalla developed country thaan.. but u have to compare the population of that country with ours.. ITs just like one state of India.. Kandeepa if entire India was like that.. sure we would be more progressed than japan right now .. unda ellaiyaa ?

Shy

silican
01-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Enna Naughty,
motta thaliakkum mozhangalukkum mudichi podra madhiri Japan kooda compare panreenga ? japan is no doubt a Nation tht developed from ashes. But think abt our diverse culture and historu that dates back from more than any country's in Asia. We are developing at a faster raate these days and no doubt we wd be one among the top soon.

Silican

vasan
01-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Enna Naughty,
motta thaliakkum mozhangalukkum mudichi podra madhiri Japan kooda compare panreenga ? japan is no doubt a Nation tht developed from ashes. But think abt our diverse culture and historu that dates back from more than any country's in Asia. We are developing at a faster raate these days and no doubt we wd be one among the top soon.

Silican

Sorry. Try that again. The Mesopotamian, and the Chinese are just about as old as any other civilizations in the world. And just like Indian cultural landscape has been forever altered with (more recent) Muslims invasion and mixing, and the British - so were the cultural landscape of Chinese with the spread of Buddhism in their country. Soon (inspite of their insular nature) such changes are inevitable in the Middle east also! Such is the nature of any living culture - imbibe, innovate, inculcate and evolve. If you don't want to change as a culture - you ought to remain dead (like the Mayans!).

Its nice to feel proud about India - but we should be more proud to speak the Truth!

To me, the real pride of any nation is not merely one period in history - but the various periods, their influence and final evolution into what we are today. What I inherited (whether to my liking or not) is much more than the ancient history of several thousand years old. Along with it, I also inherited a more recent episodes and influences. I am a product of all those influences - indeed, I believe the whole country is. And I think that is commendable and great!

silican
01-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Sorry Vasan, I missed that. Well, few more facts....

01. India never invaded any country in her last 1000 years of history.

02. India invented the Number system. Aryabhatta invented 'zero.'

03. The world's first University was established in Takshila in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.

04. According to the Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software.

05. Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans.

06. Although western media portray modern images of India as poverty striken and underdeveloped through political corruption, India was once the richest empire on earth.

07. The art of navigation was born in the river Sindh 5000 years ago. The very word "Navigation" is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH.

08. The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is now known as the Pythagorean Theorem. British scholars have last year (1999) officially published that Budhayan's works dates to the 6th Century, which is long before the European mathematicians.

09. Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India. Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century; the largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Indians used numbers as big as 1053.

10. According to the Gemmological Institute of America, up until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds to the world.

11. USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century-old suspicion amongst academics that the pioneer of wireless communication was Professor Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.

12. The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.

13. Chess was invented in India.

14. Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted surgeries like cesareans, cataract, fractures and urinary stones. Usage of anaesthesia was well known in ancient India.

15. When many cultures in the world were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilisation).

16. The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.

Shy
01-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Enna Naughty,

Silican

Sorry. Try that again. The Mesopotamian, and the Chinese are just about as old as any other civilizations in the world. And just like Indian cultural landscape has been forever altered with (more recent) Muslims invasion and mixing, and the British - so were the cultural landscape of Chinese with the spread of Buddhism in their country. Soon (inspite of their insular nature) such changes are inevitable in the Middle east also! Such is the nature of any living culture - imbibe, innovate, inculcate and evolve. If you don't want to change as a culture - you ought to remain dead (like the Mayans!).

Its nice to feel proud about India - but we should be more proud to speak the Truth!

To me, the real pride of any nation is not merely one period in history - but the various periods, their influence and final evolution into what we are today. What I inherited (whether to my liking or not) is much more than the ancient history of several thousand years old. Along with it, I also inherited a more recent episodes and influences. I am a product of all those influences - indeed, I believe the whole country is. And I think that is commendable and great!

Vasan and naughty,

U got to remember this. Yes Japan was attacked by USA. But u know how much help it got from other countries in the world??? also refugees'a ella countries were open to accept them. Their literacy rate as a country 99% is appovae in 1970s. full aid for those people all over the world.
But India appadi ellai. It got freedom by its own struggle. Even after that, there was no help from any foreign countries for us economically at all. The progression we are now is by our own HARD WORK.
Plus japan is like kerala and karnataka. Again growth varathukku they no need 100 years.. they can come up easily. Take Russia, can u compare japan and russia and say "see u arent attacked by nuclear bomb like us? so why u are in economic crisis now" can we. Athu mathiri thaan India'vum. Its a big country.
With no help from foriegn countries and problem with ourselves, ennaiku world Indentify panra naada vanthathae a good progression. so we got to give it some time...

Shy

suryalover
01-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Sorry Vasan, I missed that. Well, few more facts....

01. India never invaded any country in her last 1000 years of history.

02. India invented the Number system. Aryabhatta invented 'zero.'
imal system was developed in India

Super appu...............

:wink: