PDA

View Full Version : Indias unconquered fort

katteri
01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
As there was ambiguity in the statement i said in ellora caves topic.
Dont forget to see the Defenses i have mentioned below u wudnt have seen one like this
I will come with details of One of the Indias Unconquered fort
The Great Deogiri (devagiri) or Daulatabad fort.
Deogiri fort has 3 wall defense,1mountain defense,2 outer &5 inner defense.
See also this for more details
http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5505
The 3 wall defense is three walls surrounding the fort in concentric.The first wall runs for more than 15 miles but u cant c it now.u can it in very few places .Once u enter the outer wall theres is a huge security gate where all vehicle has to go thru this way to go to ellora caves.
The outer wall was guarded at variuos places by archers.
Second wall is simliar to the outer but with increased number of archers and ,horses,elephant.
Third wall defense is quite similar to secondbut with increased security.
The gap between the third wall and the fort is filled with water and crocodiles were left.
The only way to get into the fort is to cross the water thru a bridge suspended from the fort.)(now its fixed). whenever an enemy appraoches the connection between third wall and fort is disconnected.
From the top of the fort u can see the majestic thrid wall running aroudn the fort but u can see all the wall at very few places.

The reason why kings used to build fort on the peak of the mountain is to take advantage of the elevation(Armies approaching the fort can be seen easily, easy to attack),gravity (very few lives will be lost, u can thro fire balls,pour oil etc...), and good defense(Can attack easily, its hard for the enemies to approach the fort).

to be contddd after few hours

katteri
01-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Rising dramatically over 600 ft above the Deccan plain is the arresting sight of Daulatabad. Once known as Devgiri, this fort served as the head quarters of the powerful Yadava rulers. In the 13th century, Mohammed bin Tughlak, the Sultan of Delhi, made it his capital and renamed it Daulatabad, or City of Fortune.
One of the world's best preserved forts of medieval times, surviving virtually unaltered, Daulatabad still displays many of the internal contrivances that made it invincible. A series of secret, quizzical subterranean passages lie amidst the fort. Its defense systems comprised fortifications of double and even triple rows of massive walls. A fortress conquered only by betrayal once...... So we can say its an unconquered fort..

The most notable structures at Daulatabad are the Chand Minar, Jami Masjid and royal palaces. The tapering 30-metre high tower of the Chand Minar is divided into four storeys, and was faced with glazed tiles and carved motifs. The Minar probably served as a prayer hall or a victory monument in its time. The Jami Masjid was a mosque built by the Khilji ruler of Delhi, Qutubuddin Mubarak. The palaces consist of spacious halls, pavilions and courtyards.

katteri
01-08-2004, 01:53 PM
In the twelfth century, Bhillama, king of the Yadava Dynasty, built an invincible fort at Daulatabad (13 kms from Aurangabad). Situated on a pyramid-shaped hill, the fort has slippery gravel pathways, spiked gates, spiral staircases and dungeons

The Yadavas ruled the region independently from 1183 till 1294, when Raja Ramchandra of Devagiri was overcome by Ala-ud-din, nephew of Sultan Jalal-ud-Din Khilji, and was appointed governor, owing allegiance to the Delhi Sultanate. Sultan Qutb-ud-din Khilji created the Jumma Masjid or Friday mosque in Devagiri in 1318 — the first Muslim monument within the walls of the city.

Devagiri continued to be administered by various governors appointed by the Delhi Sultanate till 1347, when governor Zafar Khan rebelled against the administration, and became the first Bahamni Sultan. A victory tower-cum-observation post, known as the Minar" was built in 1433, and is the second tallest tower in India after the Qutb Minar.

It was at this time that the name of the fortress changed from Devagiri to Daulatabad; or the "the abode of good fortune". The fortress is extremely steep and almost a rock climber’s ascent. The outer wall is five kilometres long, and earlier sheltered a large population in a town now completely abandoned. A second wall enclosing an area with a radius of half a kilometre is known as the "Mahakot".

A third wall, the "Balakot", has a splendid entrance gate leading to the ancient caves. A number of cannons that may still be seen, are testimony to the fort’s impregnability. A seven-inch cannon made out of panchdhatu or five metals, is commonly referred to as "Shree Durga", and is strategically located to guard the peak. All along the way, there are a number of other cannons such as the Ram-headed "storm breaker" and others that look equally menacing. Stout, heavily- spiked gates, placed along the way, created effective barriers for marauding foes.

A tunnel in the rock face offers the only route to the upper reaches. It is said that at the time of a seige, an iron barrier at the end of the long spiralling tunnel would be heated to such a point, that no one could touch it. Thus, successfully pushing back any attackers who had managed to reach thus far.

The Fort had been planned in such a way, that it was possible for to live within its walls for long stretches. There was plenty of storage space for food and a huge water tank built within the fortified walls could also provide water for the entire army for over six months, in case of a seige.

The "Chinimahal," a palace named for the decorative ceramic tiles used on the exterior, became the prison of the last Qutb Shahi ruler of Golcunda, Abul Hasan, who was imprisoned there for 1687 to 1700 by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb.

In the exciting history of Daulatabad, it is interesting to note that most monarchs who came to power, considered it a key to the domination of southern India. But Daulatabad, despite being prized as one of the most coveted forts of India, never really lived up to its name. Somehow greatness always remained elusive.

Nizam-ul-Mulk captured the fort and the city in 1757, breaking Daulatabad’s links with the Nizam Shahi Dynasty of Ahmednagar. However, he was unable to hold out against the wily Maratha forces, and it fell once again. The Marathas, hung on to power till they were driven out by the British. Bringing the curtain down finally, on the colourful past of Devagiri — on the history of a great fort, that just missed becoming the capital of India

What u see is the moutain carved to 90 degree for about 100 metres from the ground level making difficult for the enemies to climb the mountain

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/20010523.1/20010523.1.13.web.jpg

U can see the defense walls in a bad condition. at top of this people used to safeguard these walls.

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/20010523.1/20010523.1.16.web.jpg

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/20010523.4/20010523.4.13.web.jpg

SEcond wall

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/20010523.4/20010523.4.16.web.jpg

The garden after the last wall

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/20010523.4/20010523.4.22.web.jpg

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/20010523.4/20010523.4.23.web.jpg

thisis the minar

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/20010523.4/20010523.4.24.web.jpg
This is the only way 2 go 2 fort

http://www.gilesorr.com/India/pics/CC.India-2001n.11/CC.India-2001n.11.24.web.jpg

U can see the bridge connecting the fort and the land .Crocodiles were left in the water/

The fort is surrounded by a deep moat which can only be crossed by a narrow bridge. And then to reach the upper part you'll have to go through a pitch-black corridor. A

katteri
01-08-2004, 02:10 PM
While climbing on to the fort one passes a complicated series of defenses including multiple doorways, which elephants could not destroy. These are also spike studded in case the elephants ever attacked. A magnificent tower of victory, the Chand Minar, soars 60 metres high. It was built in 1435 and Qutab Minar in Delhi beats it only by 5 metres. Higher up is the blue tiled Chini mahal Palace where the last king of Golconda was imprisoned for 13 years until his death.

priyarock
01-08-2004, 04:21 PM
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWW...The photos are really COOl !!!!!!!!!!! and the post was very Informative. HATS OFF TO KATERI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could you Please provide the original link also ?? Guess it will be interesting more ...

CHEERS

katteri
01-08-2004, 04:37 PM
I have finished 3 wall defence i will post the inner defense later.
For more information u can visit sites
http://www.indiaprofile.com/heritage/maharashtraforts.htm
http://www.mtdcindia.com/fort/daulat.htm
www.ajanthaellora.com

Shy
01-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Katteri I still dont understand something...

Fort.. athai suthi it has 3 wall defense then 1mountain defense then 2 outer and 5 inner defense ???

Shy

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Mountain defence:
Ancient kings are very very intellegent.
The fort should be protected agianst invasion,The fort has to be designed with highest level of defense. agian it involves time and money. The wealth of the nation is kept in the fort.There are places where even food grains are kept if u have been to gingee fort u can c them.
So kings chose place near to sea shore and mountains as the area to build .Most of the forts are built on mountians.

Coming back to deogiri fort , the king constructed his fort on the hill and also chiseled the sides of the hill to perfect 90 degreess(there is no slope.....almost all the fort built on the hill (hill by nature has slope) has slope except deogiri.When u have a slope its very easy for the invaders to crawl and climb easily over the fort walls. With the help of spies inavders find the slope of the hill. Then they use pythagaros theroem to calcualte the (determined indirectly)number of elephant/horses /men required to pull their equipment over the slope. The problem can be equated to body sliding on an inclined plane They also used to conisder a error % of 25.
Slope on the hill aids invaders so king ordered to chisel the slope and make it perfect 90 degreess.When u calculate the amount of force required to do the task its very very very very high so no king will be affordable to do this.
So theonly possible and easy way is to go thru the main entrance of the fort.
I hope u wud appreciate this design.
Innr defence i will try to add today .

sandhiya_ch
01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
many kings also had forests (some are even man-made) as one of the line of defense. i was astounded when i heard this

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Katteri I still dont understand something...

Fort.. athai suthi it has 3 wall defense then 1mountain defense then 2 outer and 5 inner defense ???

Shy
There are 2 more walls surronding the fort running over the mountain thats wht i meant
The first 3 wall are far away from the fort.
The picture shown with title (crocodile ...)is the last outer wall
To reach the last two outer wall u have to cross the mountain defense.People say the gap between the 3rd wall & bottom of hill is filled with water as in outer wall and fort.
payankaram kuzhppum ....ithukee ippade naa inner defence ku vaankaaa...
It tooks 4 to 5 visit to know much abt these details and i spend minimum 6 hours a day here.Problem is theguide doesnt know english, he speaks marathi , he speaks broken hindi same as i

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
The 5 inner defence
1)Dungeon -similar to maze
2)Maze
3)OIL
4)Gulletin method
5)Archers

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Dungeon 1st inner defence:
Once u cross the outerwall and walk thru the bridge u can see two ways to go fort. Previously only one way takes u to fort the other takes to dungeon room. I dont know when and how these 2 ways are joined.
During invasion entry to fort is sealed with trees and plants confusing invaders, they think itsnot the way (antha allavuku perfect setting )so the only way is this.They think the path they chosen is the right way .As soon as they enter the dungeon room (is very very dark u cant see any one . u cant even see ur watch) .Most of the dungeon room is destroyed (guide said a thunder struck in 50s) what is left is a part.
Dungeon room as i said is very dark it takes u to a very long distanc and the path is so designed u feel comfortable in progressing ahead.
But what happens is the path takes u to the point some where u started in the dungeon room.As an invader u have to rush up fast , by virtue of the speed the first person might fall or hit his colleague accidnetally.(u cant see anything ,guide took a fire torch - i cudnt c him properly)What happens is invaders at the entry point think they are attacked by their enemies and they start killing their fellowmen. by the time they recognise they r killing their own man much of the damage is already done........
'' I loved this arraangement'' what a brilliant idea.......

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Maze also a part of dungeon 2 nd inner defence:
If invaders still manage to escape the first defence, they will adopt a strategy the first line of people who take charge in proceeding have to give sound or voice(some sort of signal so that they will not hit their own people) its a common sense.
The commander will also say u need to find for fresh air when u experience one more dungeon room.

No doubt the second inner defense is also a duengeon room but it takes to quite a long distane making the people to look for fresh air (as there are large number of people). During their proceeding they will meet an exit where fresh air comes. They all think this is the way to exit to dungeon room. but that exit is very very very smooth (lot of algae_)once u keep ur feet there it takes u to the bottom of the hill where crocodiles exist.
apparum ethuvum solla thevai illai......

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Oil. 3 rd inner defence:
Appadiyum thapithcuuuu vanthutankaannaa avanka a pora vazhiyil (konjam dark )koparaiyil kothikiraa enaii(oil) vothiduvankkaaa anaka padu ambho thaaan......

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Gulletin method 4th inner defence
Commander might suggest to go slowly without making any noise after this series of destruction.
So they go in small groups ..On the way there are defenders of all types....they can mange the small groups easily and thrash them. if still some surive .. at the exit they have to crawl (very less space)...a man will chop the head as the head will be the first to come out of the exit.

katteri
01-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Archers 5 th defence:
Acrhers will be sitting on the all corner of the wall top (hidden)..
Ambu mattum varum anna alu engha irukanu theiryathuuu
itha thandi ponaaaa than final army a paakkaa mudiyum......

katteri
01-09-2004, 05:11 PM
This fort was attacked many times.....but all the kings who made an attempt were unsuccesful...
When i spoke to a local people they said , In the fight one king after a valiant effort broke upto 4 defenses and he was not able to pentrate or move ahead.So he bribed some people there making the food supplies to be cut to the fort.(i cant understand how cud this happen bcos usually food supplies are stocked for more than 6 months inside the fort). The whole act took more than 8 months.....seems to believable....
But Deogiri is the unconqured fort what do you say..... :D