PDA

View Full Version : unwanted pop-up downloads

sandhiya_ch
01-11-2004, 07:08 PM
nowadays whenever i pass on from the main forum page to other page, there are pop - up download windows of 'adult sites'.

what can i do to stop them.

can any of you brainy brainy friends help me.
cause i dont know anything about computers

by mistake one of the downloads got downloaded and i faced :doh:

so please help me

one more info - i cannot download any programme that can stop this pop - up windows as this is not my personal computer and it belongs to a network of an universities computer.

Many Thanks

silican
01-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Sandhiya_ch,
a better solution would be using Netscape. In netscape u can configure as u need. Also u can try using My Popup killer, thts available at www.webattack.com. This gets installed in almost all machines in my Univ network w/o requiring any admin previlege.

U can try using Google search Bar. Tht kills pop-ups too.

sandhiya_ch
01-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Sandhiya_ch,

:00: :00: :00: :00: :00: what is that silican and is there anything called msn search bar. please clarify

cheers

sri_gan
01-12-2004, 02:21 PM
sandhiya_ch,

Google gives a toolbar which kills the popup, lastest version.

Go to www.google.com and learn more.

MSN gives no toolbar.

dinesh
01-12-2004, 08:36 PM

Ya...but she's said she can't install any software....so I don't think she can install the toolbar. If the admin settings are set in the way I think it is, you cannot install any new stuff, as they cannot be registered in the registry.

As for the problem, I don't get any pop-up's at all (apart from the PM alerts) in geetham. You might well have some sort of adware installed in your computer.

madhu_aish1
01-15-2004, 01:48 AM
nowadays whenever i pass on from the main forum page to other page, there are pop - up download windows of 'adult sites'.

pop ups are one of the ways to maintain the websites. They yield some revenue to keep up the good work of Geetham. But adult pop-ups are questionable... :think: I havent yet encountered any adult pop -ups..

BTW if university comps doesnt permit software installation how did these pop - up got installed.. :think:

by mistake one of the downloads got downloaded and i faced :doh:

so please help me

Its a God Gift-nu nenaichi koongaa... :lol: :lol: Just Kidding . I kill most of the pop - up by using google tool bar..(Good One).. If you are not able to install Google Tool Bar ask for assistance. am sure the administrator would do it... :D

Madhu

mcoond
01-24-2004, 11:43 PM
best way to avoid stealth downloading of softwares , is to always log in user mode. which allow no intsallation of any softwares. then coming to block the pop ups. there is a site
http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html
use this and be trouble free hahahah ;) :sm12: