PDA

View Full Version : South Indian Marriage Rituals

venky1974
01-21-2004, 03:39 AM
South Indian Marraige Rituals

Do you ever wonder as to why so there are so many rituals or the logic behind these rituals etc..???

Here is something that made when I tied the knot. Hope this is useful and informative. The content in this powerpoint presentation was taken from numerous websites and as told and explained by my elders. I hope you all enjoy it.

South Indian Marraige Rituals.pps (http://www.sharemation.com/venky2816/South%20Indian%20Marriage%20Ri tuals.pps)

In case you cant download the *.pps file try using the *.zip file & rename the .html to pps.

South Indian Marraige Rituals.Zip (http://www.sharemation.com/venky2816/South%20Indian%20Marriage%20Ri tuals.zip)

Cheers,

Venky

katteri
01-21-2004, 12:46 PM
cant open the page

Shy
01-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Yes venky... tried to download too.. didnt work :(

Shy

anitam
01-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi venky,

I can download it.. Its very good and informative.
Thanks for posting it.

Shy
01-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Yesss.... after seeing anitam's .. tried it again.. this time was able to download it...

Romba nalla saenchu irukeenga.. it was very informative... Thanks

Startingla..neenga poonu paatha function'um add panalaam :).. just a suggestion.. thappa yaeduthukaatheenga...

Shy

sri_gan
01-21-2004, 03:23 PM
It is not working.

Shy
01-21-2004, 03:26 PM
try right_click..save sa sri_gan.. it should work...just tried now...

Shy

sri_gan
01-21-2004, 03:28 PM
I did shy.

No it say the connection with the server is reset.

selpra
01-21-2004, 03:31 PM
venky, its not working...now is it working for you srigan ? i cannot download it.......

venky1974
01-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Shy,

Panalaam... I had thought about it. Good suggestion.

I had read somewhere that the Vedic marriage ritual consist of that but in recent time that is not considered a ritual. Let me see what I can find and I will post some more information on that.

Venky

venky1974
01-21-2004, 03:34 PM
People,

I uploaded in one of the free web space servers. It said it has 5MB bandwidth per 3 hrs.

If you have any better suggestion, let me know and I will upload it there and it should be easy to see it after that. Please help.

Venky

sri_gan
01-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Venky,

It is a power point prsentation, save it as html document zip and give the link

venky1974
01-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Its working so far. Try Right Click and save target as.

Once I get some help from the forum about better servers, I will move it there.

Thanks for your patience.

Venky

sri_gan
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes. It started working now.

katteri
01-21-2004, 04:04 PM
no its not working for me....

venky1974
01-21-2004, 05:12 PM
I just check again.. both the links are up and running.

Give it a try and let me know.

Venky

madhu_aish1
01-21-2004, 06:37 PM
bandwidth problemaaa .. ok ok
download it from here. yellorum evalo request pannurathu naaala senchieruken ...

<a href=http://www.stanford.edu/~madhud/SouthIndianMarriageRituals.pps> Click here to download</a>

right click or left click ...anythingy will work..

enjoy downloading

Madhu

venky1974
01-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Super Madhu...

Thanks...

Venky

dinesh
01-21-2004, 09:17 PM
bandwidth problemaaa .. ok ok
download it from here. yellorum evalo request pannurathu naaala senchieruken ...

kodaikku karnan mathiri bandwidthkku namba Madhu......ellarum avarukku oru 'oo' podunga

Shy
01-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Kandeepa dinesh.. but entha topic eppo vantheenga... ungalukku thaan ithu ellam vaendaathathu, thaevaielaathu, pudikaathathu.. aachae ...mmm.. :think: .. eppo manam mareeneenga ;)

Shy

dinesh
01-22-2004, 12:10 AM
eppo manam mareeneenga

thennadaathu vambaa pochu......ithu pidikaathunna naan itha padikka koodaathaa? rituals represent the identity of a society. they are a good way study how people think and how the society has evolved over time. i'd have been interested even if it wasn't just marriage but even if it is funeral rituals or any other thing.....

unga lollu thangale ammani.... :)

Minik
01-22-2004, 04:56 AM
Venky nice presentation. these wedding rituals are only for brahmins or is it for all hindus in india. I know in hinduism itself there are lot of caste right so was just wondering. It was really wonderful to know all those stuff. I guess the wedding would be a one lot of fun.

venky1974
01-22-2004, 05:13 AM
Minik,

This presentation is pretty much in the same lines on South Indian Traditional Marriages.

In North India some of the rituals are different. For Example:

Jaanavasam In south is Barat in the north

Sapthapadhi in south is Saath Phere ( Going aroud the fire) in the north

These are some .. . I am sure some of the Fourm members can shed more light on this.

Venky

venky1974
02-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Startingla..neenga poonu paatha function'um add panalaam .. just a suggestion.. thappa yaeduthukaatheenga

Its been a while, had to find something about it. Yes in olden days there was a ritual called

vaak daanam

This step is a part of Kanya Varanam, where the groom-to-be (brahmachari) sends two elders on his behalf to the father of a girl whom he wishes to marry. The elders convey the message of the brahmachari and ask for the daughter's hand. The two mantras in the form of brahmachari's appeal to intercede on his behalf come from Rig Veda. The first mantra begs the elders to proceed and return quickly with success back from their mission on his behalf. The second mantram ("anruksharaa Rjava:...") asks for the gods' blessings for the elders' safe journey to the house of the father of the would-be-bride. The mantra prays to Aryama and Bhaga for a marriage full of harmony. The father accedes to the request of the elders and the resulting agreement for betrothal is known as vaak daanam.

(This is taken from a website www. ramanuja.org)

Venky

Abhinaya
02-20-2004, 06:02 PM
a very nice presentation...very informative
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

cheers