PDA

View Full Version : What r u reading now???

Pages : [1] 2

Honeyarjun
02-06-2004, 03:55 PM
I just answered a post asking for online books... This made me curious to know abt your(people in this forum) reading habits...

To give a little intro for my reading habits... I have a thrust for reading and reading a lot....I started reading books in my 4th std..(originally started reading newspaper in kinder garden ..used to read it for my grandma).. I read anything on earth starting from history novels (sandilyan is my FAV) to jeffery archer.. To simply put it...give me a book ..I will forget the world and immerse myself on it...

I have also irritated peope with my reading habit..My mother never used to leave me alone at home when she see me reading a book as she complains I wont even know who is coming into the home or whos leaving... she says I sit there like a doll unaware of whats happening around me.. My whole family gets irritated at me for me reading books when I eat..

Enough of my story...lemme know abt your reading habits and what r u reading now... Now I am with a book of robin cook 'seizure' and 'staright from the gut' by Jack welch.....

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 03:28 PM
digging up this thread to get to know abt others reading interests...

appu
03-02-2004, 03:34 PM
nice...but seems to me that no one is interested in reading.....

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 03:36 PM
:( me too feel the same... Looks like people are more interested in watching movies than reading... :cry: Thanks appu atleast for replying... :ahha:

priyaluv
03-02-2004, 04:03 PM
I love reading too. It gives me an immense pleasure to read. Even I started reading in a very early age and I read all sort of novels ranging from classics to jefrrey archer.

Currently I am reading Fountain Head by Ayn Rand for the fifth time. I had decided to read it every year coz every year it gives a different perspective. An excellent book it is.

Do let me know how is the book seizure after you finish reading it.

gokulan42
03-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Honeyarjun, Oops sorry for replying late.

I love reading too (it sounds sexy to read it you no). I read thinamalar, nakkiran and sometimes india today :ahha:

To be serious, I am not that good a reader. I said I am married ;)

When I start reading a book, I get immersed myself. And, I have a bad reputation for having a deaf ear when reading ;) And, my timings are weird too. I can read the whole night.

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 04:33 PM
hey priya good to know that there is a fella reader... I havent read fountain head yet..will give it a try..Thanks for sharing ur opinion..

I am finished with seizure..its okay...But I liked shock(previous one of robin cook) better than this .. Right now am reading Danielle steel 's secrets and sivakamiyin sabatham of kalki.. Reading danielle steel now reminds me of my teens when I was immersed with all M&B... That was really a good time...donno whether I will enjoy M&B like I used to be at those times... pbly I would ...me a romantic person by nature (Typical Gemini... :wink: )

I like mystery & suspense novels a lot.. but I read variety... yes...reading gives such a pleasure.... :D

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Gokulan42....good to know that you are a reader too... yep...its so difficult to get time to read that too when you are married...!!!!!

I too used to read junior vikatan and nakkiran in India...now I read JV from net.. I have met nakkeran gopal in person..nice person to speak with... He looked smart too with a big meesai..(kidding :ahha: ...meesai was so big it almost covered his face)

priyaluv
03-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Yeah its nice to meet a person who enjoy reading.....
U a gemini? thats great and me too...and so am a romantic person by nature too :)
Fountain head is my favourite.
I read three books of robin cook... some instinct..i dont remember the name..i think his best is Coma. I will try to read Shock..
Somehow I cant stand Danielle Steel novels. I feel M&Bs are better.

Even i like variety... Agatha christie..is one of my all time favourites.

Shy
03-02-2004, 04:46 PM
hey priya good to know that there is a fella reader... I havent read fountain head yet..will give it a try..Thanks for sharing ur opinion..

I am finished with seizure..its okay...But I liked shock(previous one of robin cook) better than this .. Right now am reading Danielle steel 's secrets and sivakamiyin sabatham of kalki.. Reading danielle steel now reminds me of my teens when I was immersed with all M&B... That was really a good time...donno whether I will enjoy M&B like I used to be at those times... pbly I would ...me a romantic person by nature (Typical Gemini... :wink: )

I like mystery & suspense novels a lot.. but I read variety... yes...reading gives such a pleasure.... :D

:oops: Sorry for the late reply !!!!!

I love reading a lot, basically it started back when I was in school, I was talking school bus for 45 mins, Appo started this lovely hobby :).. Appuram I was like, with a book always, I will have a book in my bag always :)

Fortunately, here I travel to work in train, again morning and evening, book is my friend mathiri, always with me :) I read books by Daniel steels, Nora Roberts. Recently padichathu Dating Game. But I like Mystery, thrilling suspense books a lot... with a mix of Romance :ee: ..sydney shelton, higgins clark... any many more :) yaen even read all of Harry potter. It was amazing to see in the screen what u have read :) I used to imagine myself, but athai paakarapoo orae santhoosham :)...

Shy

anainar
03-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Adadaa, ithanai Geminis?:yes: :yes: I used to read Fredrick Forsyth and Ken Follet novels during college. It was from a lending library and we had a great reason for going there. :D :D. And Vikatan and Kumudham were staple books. After college, started working and access to Tamil magazines reduced for a variety of reasons. Then started reading tech stuff to keep myself from getting obsolete. Now I read only the internal memos of the company, press releases, market watch in my area. And my passion of Photography and Audio/Video/Home theaters.

But I read a lot of stuff online now. Especially columns on economy, WTO, law, anything and everything not connected to work. :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Shy
03-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah its nice to meet a person who enjoy reading.....
U a gemini? thats great and me too...and so am a romantic person by nature too :)
Fountain head is my favourite.
I read three books of robin cook... some instinct..i dont remember the name..i think his best is Coma. I will try to read Shock..
Somehow I cant stand Danielle Steel novels. I feel M&Bs are better.

Even i like variety... Agatha christie..is one of my all time favourites.

Yep, shes great !!!! But after reading most of her stories, I could feel a pattern she solves the crime :) ... Its seems to me the culprit is always the nowhere near in the flow of the story... not like other authors, who at times have the culprit the person all along :)

I agree Danielle steels very few of her stories suck, like the dating game :( i just finished, but there are real good ones too, like The Wedding, The House on Hope Street, The Prefect Stranger and many more are really very good !!!!

BTW, welcome to geetham , priyaluv.. Good to have u here, Hope u enjoy ur stay :b: :b:

Shy

priyaluv
03-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for your welcome Shy.
I read two Danielle Steele novel and did not like her. Let me try the books you suggested and see whether I appreciate her novels.
Agatha Christie is sure fun. The Big Four is always great and the ten little indians is different and good. Frederic Forsyth Odessa file and Day of the jackal is sure good.

So Shy you did not say who is ur fav author and book!
I have never had a change to read Nora roberts. Can you suggest a good book by her?

dinesh
03-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Wow! just saw this one......I used to be an addict to reading. Never stopped reading a book in the middle and saved for later, if started I finish it... :sm12: I was a member of all the libraries in the vicinity, and read all the commercial periodicals I could get my hand on, whatever subject they are on......Don't find much time these days sadly, with other academic commitments sadly.

I mainly read fiction. My early teens were spent with hardy boys and then the casefiles....then I migrated to more serious thrillers (espionage, spy stories etc.)...there was an extremely violent series about adventures of a guy called Mack Bolan, anybody read that?? (Hmm....comparing these with Honeyarjun's experience wih M&B makes me think how boys and girls develop different tastes... :))

Then I was introduced to a guy called Tom Clancy, who is quite popular. He used to be quite good until a book called Executive Orders, then for some reason started to write with a tinge of US patriotic BS for some reason, and now I can't stand the guy :evil: (incidentially has anybody read Executive orders? It was published in 97 i think, and detailed how a plane piloted by a Japanese guy is driven into Capitol Hill and kills almost everybody etc, and goes onto explain how it's quite easy to do as air safety is not that strict.....scary how that happened in real life later on!)

Then there is Frederick Forsyth, who's every fictional work, except the last one, I have read. He is an excellent thriller writer. His books are reknowned for the minute detail about everything, crossing borders, obtaining false passports, organizing "following" operations and whatnot..... :). The day of the jackal was quite popular(and which had a very simple but extremely clever method of obtaining a false British passport completely legally, which method was until very recently was there for everybody to make use of :)), and was made into a film later on. But, I liked the "Fourth Protocol" most. It's an excellent book, and I'll recommend it to anyone, not just thriller fans, for an excellent read.
He has also written two short story collections, which are not really thrillers, but cover various subjects. One of them "No Comebacks" details an ingenious method of how to make use of a court to make slanderous statements, without getting into trouble....

On the Tamil front I've read a lot of Kalki and Sandilyan, those big volumes....but my favourite in that genre is "aalavaay azhagan" by one Jegasirpiyan. An excellent book written in beautiful Tamil. I dont have much experience with modern Tamil writers though.

I would say my English knowledge was entirely developed by reading. I had very little English coaching elsewhere, especially as my schooling was entirely in Tamil. Even today my written English is very good compared to my spoken English again the reason being able to acquire a good vocabulary by reading!

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Wow!!!! so glad to see other readers here... I like Agatha christie too...but I have read so many of her novels and know her style so much so that I can find out the culprit in between(while reading)...At one stage I will start suspecting each and every passing character in the novel..

Yes..sometime Danielle steel's novels are bad...but I liked the first one I read of hers..think the name is 'star'.I read her novels for the emotions it create..

anainar..I like fredrick forsyth too..Fourth protocol is my all time fav...One of my cousin is a great fan of ken follet and asked me to read his novels..I tried one..but didnt like it.. (dont remember the name now..it was long back....).

shy..have u tried robin cook? its a mix of everything..esp if u like mystery and suspense with a bit of romance... I have read all the books of sidney sheldon and Jeffery archer and much awaiting for their new ones..(are they writing anything new nowadays???)..

Jeffery is my fav author...the story wont end until the last line... ken and able is my fav .. The first one of Jeff I read was 'not a penny less not a penny more'...good fun book....

dinesh
03-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Oops...forgot Agatha Christie, I have read most of her books by now. Shy' might be true in some senses, but generally I think it's our mentality of looking at the picture, where we choose to ignore some people as the story progresses. That's what the author wants, and when the mystery unravells we'll think thats the least obvious person, because we chose to ignore that particular person.
Her books also gives a very good picture of psotwar Britain, and how people moved and behaved etc. I found that really interesting as a person living here, mainly because you can compare and contrast people's lifestyles. The British are quite notorious for their traditions and good manners.... :)

anainar
03-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Achacho! Forsyth has many nice ones. I have read almost all of his. Day of the Jackal, Devil's alternative where a tanker is taken a hostage, Fourth Protocol. All I finished reading in a couple of days. Ken Follet wrote Eye of the Needle which is a spy thriller. Awesome novel. It was made as movie too, but I did not like the movie a lot. But Day of the Jackal was made very nicely. Slick production without any drama.

I have read Jeff'sbooks too, especially the Not a penny more. Kane and Abel is another one I read long back.

Am I missing somebody? Yes, Harold Robins. tell me who has not read his novels, atleast one.

Cheers

dinesh
03-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Jeffery archer and much awaiting for their new ones..(are they writing anything new nowadays???)..

Jeff just got back home after doing time for perjury! Might start writing soon...

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
yes..yes..I have read harold robbins too... :wink: ..also Irving wallace esp 'second lady'..very good one.. Looks like I got start trying ken follet again...pbly will start with eye of the needle..

shidinesh...yes...he has just returned..but thalivar prison-ku ulla eruntappovae antha experience patthi oru book pottutarae.. but havent read that one yet...

silican
03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi,
Thats a good topic Honeyarjun :clap: and dont know how I missed it. As everyone else, during my school days, Novels used to be more enticing than my subject books and as every kid, :) I have read Rani comics and Poonthlir/ambulimama hiding inside my book without getting caught. :ee:

Later the same habit went on to read mystery novels and Love stories in tamil. My parents used to get Devibala,Sujatha,Bala kumaran,Anuradha Ramanan and Indhumathi from a nearby library and slowly I started reading them when I was in class 7-8. My mom didnt want me to read all those books saying tht those were for elders. Still, i used to hide and finish reading books secretly and tht increased my reading speed :wink:

But I was completely occupied by Endamoory Veerendranath- Susheela Kanagadurga Telugu-Tamil translation novels.. One more genre was the famous Perry mason murder mystry series..They are real old books but amazing narration. I just cant stop reading them. After school, my interest in tamil books slowly faded as I was in a hostel with more North indians. Then came Robin cook, Jeffery archer and Sydney sheldon. again once after I graduated and came to the US, for the first few months a big book of Bharathiyar kavithaigal was my only company.

Later on found tht there are tonnes of Tamil books at the Chicago Public library Literature section. This was where I found Prapanjan and Jeyaganthan. Old literature which have been a real classic. Though u dont find any great turning points/ plots/ conspiracy in those, I simply cant let go reading these works.

Shy
03-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your welcome Shy.
I read two Danielle Steele novel and did not like her. Let me try the books you suggested and see whether I appreciate her novels.
Agatha Christie is sure fun. The Big Four is always great and the ten little indians is different and good. Frederic Forsyth Odessa file and Day of the jackal is sure good.

So Shy you did not say who is ur fav author and book!
I have never had a change to read Nora roberts. Can you suggest a good book by her?

Priyaluv,

Try to get hold of True Betrayals, Scared Sins, I have around 50 books .. Will look into my library ;) as I call them and let u know if I find anything else..

Appuram I dont have a favorite author, I love to read variably many books, not defined to a particular one..Enakku konjam mystery, konjam suspense, konjam romance irunthaa poothum :)

Honeyarjun,

Robin cook??? I think I might have read a few...can u name the novel... :(...

Shy

dinesh
03-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Endamoory Veerendranath- Susheela Kanagadurga Telugu-Tamil translation novels

I've read a couple of those. It's sort of supernatural mysteries isn't it? Quite liked them, but didn't get the chance to ready many.... :)

priyaluv
03-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks shy. I will try to read those.
What about Ayn Rand? No Ayn Rand enthusisasts? If you ahve not read Ayn Rand, do make sure to read atleast Fountain Head or Atlas Shrugged. Her psychology is way different than anyone has ever perceived. Its simply great. Give it a try.

and what about PG Wodehouse -- a great author of all times and his remembrable Mr. Jeeves.

Irving Wallace books are also good. My favourite being Seventh Secret probably bcoz i read it when I was in School. Jeffrey Archer Kane and abel is really good.

What about classics? Anyone likes to read the good old classics of Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas etc. I like reading those classics more because of the language.

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice and Emma are again one of my favourites. The movies based out on this novel is also excellent.

Shy
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks shy. I will try to read those.
What about Ayn Rand? No Ayn Rand enthusisasts? If you ahve not read Ayn Rand, do make sure to read atleast Fountain Head or Atlas Shrugged. Her psychology is way different than anyone has ever perceived. Its simply great. Give it a try.

and what about PG Wodehouse -- a great author of all times and his remembrable Mr. Jeeves.

Irving Wallace books are also good. My favourite being Seventh Secret probably bcoz i read it when I was in School. Jeffrey Archer Kane and abel is really good.

What about classics? Anyone likes to read the good old classics of Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas etc. I like reading those classics more because of the language.

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice and Emma are again one of my favourites. The movies based out on this novel is also excellent.

:yes: Thanks much buddy !!!.. Will try these and let u know.. Ayn Rand , seems to be great !!!

Shy

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 07:02 PM
shy...I have read almost all the books robin cook..donno what to suggest for you as I like all his books. to name a few.. coma. mutation, fever, outbreak, contagion, shock and abduction... select any robin cook and read it..I can bet you will like it (unless you dont like to read abt the medical stuff and words in it..)

Shy
03-02-2004, 07:07 PM
shy...I have read almost all the books robin cook..donno what to suggest for you as I like all his books. to name a few.. coma. mutation, fever, outbreak, contagion, shock and abduction... select any robin cook and read it..I can bet you will like it (unless you dont like to read abt the medical stuff and words in it..)

Thanks honeyarjun, will try these :) ..Adutha 2-3 monthskku I have the list now to read , thanks to you all :)

Very long back I read one story, forgot the name and author.. I will tell the story thou, may be if anyone therincha sollunga.. Its abt mass destruction, New york subway Train la.. thru AC anthrax poodrathu pathi thaan kathai..Will be very interesting .. I am breaking my head to find the author and novel name :( anyone ????

Shy

sboons
03-02-2004, 07:25 PM
naanum gemini ; nicer too see so many geminians here. i finished ayn rand fountain head and now with atlas shrugged for the fifth time.. she is really a great writer.. i used to read fredrick forsyth in school days.but now after getting married and that too with a kid it is ver difficult.. sometimes i go to the extend of reading atlas shrygged to my kid...

cheers

boons

priyaluv
03-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Good to see an other Ayn Rand Enthusisast and that too a Gemini ;)

Probably your kid will become an other John Galt. John Galt is a character in the novel Atlas Shrugged. He gives a speech for about 60 pages in the book..but every word is worth reading and you wont feel bored for reading such a big speech.

I read a book of Pearl S Buck called Living Reed. It is more about Korean Independence. The hero in that book is comparable with Ayn Rand heroes (her definition of men)!!

sboons
03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
very true... i'll try reading this book..

cheers

boons

reks
03-02-2004, 08:03 PM
I like reading poems. My all time fav are Bharathiyar and Tagore. But i read any poem written by any author in simple english or tamil.

Novels... I am a poor reader... but i have read Colin Forbes, Grisham, Archer (enjoyed Kane and Abel the most) and Sydney shelton. I have read Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the wind" and its sequeal "Scarlett" written by Alexandra Ripley. Both were good, but liked "Gone with the wind" better. Sadly, Margaret Mitchell wrote only one book. Nyways, I love all the characters in the story - Scarlett, Rhett Buttler, Ashley, Melanie.

Liked Eric Segals Love story.. Have read its sequeal too... didnt enjoy it as much as "Love Story"

I liked Richard Bach's "Jonathan the Seagull". Its a verrrry good book.. a small one too :).
I have read a couple of his other books - "One", "Illusions" and one more either "Running from safety" or "Bridge accross forever".

Used to read Anandha vikatan, kumudham a lot. mainly for cinema news. Like the ilakiyam section in Ananda vikatan too.

vasan
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Oh.. wow..

Good fellas all.. I was particularly glad to see Honeyarjun's comment:

To simply put it...give me a book ..I will forget the world and immerse myself on it...

My sentiments exactly. I started reading newspapers too (tamil ones) since I was in 3rd std or so..and reading is a part and way of life.. My mom gets really bugged dealing with my book collection and reading habits.. (What are moms for but to bug and hug is my policy.. :) )

I have read most of what ever has been talked about here so far - except perhaps AynRand and some tamil authors (more because they are not available to me!)

Forsythe (almost all), Archer (almost all), Follet (almost all), Robbins (several), Cook (almost all).. Sheldon (several), Grisham (nearly all), Crichton (several)... Sandilyan and Kalki (nearly all), Sujatha (too many to count), Pattukottai Prabhakar (many)... The list is too long..

I also enjoy some prose from Mu. Va., Rajaji - read many from others too.. Greatly enjoyed reading kalignar Karunaanidhi, (hadn't yet had a chance to read Kanimozhi except a few of her poems !!) Anna, and RadhaKrishnan. Also read many north indian writers.. Enjoyed the poetry from Tagore, translations from AK Ramanujam...

More serious novels of indians (?) in english (contemp) would include Seth (some), Arundhati roy, Rushdie... Naipaul (one), Golding (three), Updike (many), and oh... many more...

OK.. just to introduce, because you folks have not talked about him yet, and seems to enjoy reading thrillers, and mystery... **** Francis? His english and sense of humor is quite nice.. I do enjoy reading Francis, and have read all of his novels. Also enjoyed, Sommerset Maugham, O Henry, Hemingway, Jack Higgins, Jack London (a few), Kipling (few).. All of Arthur Conan Doyle (including his Lost World!!).. Some Christie.. Many Dickens, and Bronte's too... three of Dumas..

OK.. I will stop now.. I can't seem to control.. :) I have just finished a James Clavell's Shogun (had read his Whirlwind earlier).. Pretty good one.. Am now reading Catch -22 and Cider House Rules..

More a bit later...

Vasan

ps: some time later, we will talk about my non-fiction authors too.. some of them are cool.. . Not read Welch's book yet, Honeyarjun.. Some day..

dinesh
03-02-2004, 08:26 PM
A couple more I remembered now......
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe, an excellant book set in New York. Was made into a movie later on.
Stupid White Men by Micheal Moore, a satirical look at USA and all the hypocrisy within. Again excellent work.

vennai1
03-02-2004, 08:26 PM
oh well...looks like it is time to start a book reviews section ! :)

nice to see so many appreciate the art of reading! :clap:

makkale, if you get a chance dont pass on reading robin cook's

thriller novels... my fav till date is vector and abduction...! :clap:

he's sure a mastero ! :b: :sm03:

vasan
03-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Could not resist adding to Reks..Yep.. Poems... True love of my life.. Any thing written is fine.. bharathi (how could not?), valluvar, classical tamil lit (not much though), even movie songs..

English too.. though not systematically.. Several here and there.. Yeats, Elliot (Prufrock and Wasteland are awesome!!), Milton, many of Shakespeares dramas and all of his sonnets.. Wordsworth, Longfellow.. tagore, nissim ezekiel...

Gone with the wind.. not yet.. its been on my wanted lists for a long time.. (any one wants to present me for Easter..?? :) )... Eric Segals (three including Love Story).. (have you read Archer's short story named Christina Rosenthal?? you should.., and have you seen the movie Love Story.. Ali McGraw was so fetching.. Gosh.. !!) I read Bach too (many) but didn't like them to much. I only enjoyed Seagull greatly..

I am particularly impressed with Sujatha's esssays on some modern form of short stories in Kumudam (currently on) and Katrathuum Petrathum in AV.. Good clear prose style.. I enjoy his writings much..

dinesh
03-02-2004, 08:29 PM
OK.. just to introduce, because you folks have not talked about him yet, and seems to enjoy reading thrillers, and mystery... **** Francis? His english and sense of humor is quite nice..

I have read some of his. He specializes in writing stories set in the racing world doesn't he? I wouldn't say I really likes* him, but he's not bad either.

PS : My grammer, spelling and everything is deserting me today. Hmm...maybe I should get some sleep....

vasan
03-02-2004, 08:36 PM
OK.. just to introduce, because you folks have not talked about him yet, and seems to enjoy reading thrillers, and mystery... **** Francis? His english and sense of humor is quite nice..

I have read some of his. He specializes in writing stories set in the racing world doesn't he? I wouldn't say I really likes him, but he's not bad either.

yeah he does... even when he strays from topic, his background is racing.. :)

reks
03-02-2004, 08:55 PM
I read Bach too (many) but didn't like them to much. I only enjoyed Seagull greatly..

I too didnt like Bach's other ones but for Seagull... I read ONE first.. felt its sort of ok.. but then after reading the other two.. :snooty: .
But Jonathan the Seagull is a superb one..

Yup, i like movie/album songs lyrics too.. Tamil, malayalam and english... Hindi songs, when my friends take pity on me and translate them for me and now-a-days DVDs come with these subtitles. But i listen to hindi songs... u dont hv to know the language to enjoy the music nyways :)

vasan
03-02-2004, 09:18 PM
I read Bach too (many) but didn't like them to much. I only enjoyed Seagull greatly..

I too didnt like Bach's other ones but for Seagull... I read ONE first.. felt its sort of ok.. but then after reading the other two.. :snooty: .
But Jonathan the Seagull is a superb one..

Yup, i like movie/album songs lyrics too.. Tamil, malayalam and english... Hindi songs, when my friends take pity on me and translate them for me and now-a-days DVDs come with these subtitles. But i listen to hindi songs... u dont hv to know the language to enjoy the music nyways :)

So far as books are concerned you sound like my alter ego !! You should be proud :wink: :oops: :P

You atleast understand Malayalam.. I don't know anything other than Tamil and English.. Can't follow hindi, so I don't listen to many songs.. I have listened to some, and enjoyed them greatly (not knowing a word of it ofcourse!!) Taal (ARR!), Raja Hindustaani, Rangeela (ARR!), Pardes, (whats that Madhuri Dixit, Shah Rukh Khan and Karishma kapoor film??), Kajol & Shahrukh (nearly all of their movie including the one with Rani Mukerjee).. (I like your avator too.. I find Kajol as greatly charming though many say she is not pretty.. I think she is terrific!)

In tamil, I like most songs - but if they have great lyrics, gosh.. I could go crazy.. Vairamuthu has done some amazing songs.. God willing, insha allah.. some day I wanna translate at least a few in to English.. if only I could capture a tenth of the emotions.. wow..

i forget myself and wander (not really lonely as a cloud.. but as a nomad.. !!) when I start talking.. :)

Vasan

gsatnan
03-02-2004, 09:21 PM
i love reading books too... but mostly i read fiction.. My dad has a lending library for the past 15 years...i started of reading comics. my favourite is tintin and Asterix.... then tinkle is also 1 comic i like.... then phantom, mandrake... so when i was young i started reading these. then when i was in my teens i started reading novels...Some of my fav authors are jeffrey archer, sidney sheldon. mario puzo's god father is my fav. and jeffreys Kane and Able is also 1 book i love....

priyaluv
03-02-2004, 09:46 PM
I like Tintin and Asterix collection too. I like reading Archies too. Mario Puzo's god father...oh yes..it is excellent...I forgot to add Mario Puzo in my list. Mario Puzo's God father novel and picturization of the same by Francis Ford Copollo with the main cast Robert DeNiro, alPacino, Marlon Brando ...simply great. The best picture made out of a novel ever according to me!!!

dinesh
03-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Asterix is a great series. Lot of the humour within is very very subtle, so you we wouldn't grab it the first time, but when you actually understand it, it will be extremely funny... :)

reks
03-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Kajol might not be one of those classic beauties... but she has a presence, quite attractive female :)

God willing, insha allah.. some day I wanna translate at least a few in to English.. if only I could capture a tenth of the emotions.. wow..
wud luv to read your transalations ;)

and how cud i miss Mario Puzo's God Father. Thats one of my fav.

My dad has a lending library for the past 15 years...i started of reading comics.

Reminded of all the Archies we used to take from the lending library. I love all the characters in Archies - Archie, Betty, Veronica, reggie, moose and above all Juggy(Jug head)...

Havent read asterix

Honeyarjun
03-02-2004, 09:55 PM
God father is an excellent book... and always wanted to see the movie...somehow I never got the time also the patience to watch it...very bad of me that too robert deniro and al pacino are my fav heroes.. Thanks for reminding me priya..Going to watch it this weekend.

vasan
03-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Reks: you haven't read Asterix? :oops: you must.. utterly funny.. my alltime fav comic book..

Yep! Puzo is great. I enjoyed his God Father and the Sicilian too.. Omerta is not so good..
Both the book and the movies are great. God father is more than great in many senses.. its a good book and sometimes its like a huge parable.. Life and death and all that we do to maintain it.. what is important and what is not.. hmm...

Vasan

priyaluv
03-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Pleasure is all mine.. Honey arjun..

Mario Puzo brought more than respect to the name "Mafia". Mafia was portrayed in such a different light that ..when I read it in college.. it influenced me a lot..but good sense prevailed.

Bluelotus
03-08-2004, 07:05 PM
i started of reading comics. my favourite is tintin and Asterix

Went through the second page of the thread...thinking "wot a complete ignoramus u r blue....dude u haven't even heard of 1/2 the books they're talikng of" then I went to the first page: "cor! woman tht's it, u hold the crown for iliteracy now"

I was so happy to see Asterix and Tintin...in French it is even better....
When I was younger I used to be addicted to fairy tales, myths and legends.....the russian ones with their baboushkas were fascinating...and so were the Gods of the old civilisations.
Then I moved on to Nancy Drews, Anne of Green Gables (..and all the other children's books including little women and Enid Blyton)
I think I never truly got out of reading children's literature....for some reason I find them far more enjoyable than adult books.....probly why Terry Pratchett and his Discworld novels have me fully hooked.
JK Rowling and Diane WhynneJones r really kool too.........btw ...has anyone heard the rumours that she may not stop at book 7 but may carry on with Harry Potter even after he leaves Hogwarts?
Terry Brooks, Tom Holt, Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne, Tolkien, Philip Pullman....These guys I would definitely recomend for a journey into fantasy

Jane Austen is amazing, did any one see the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth? I've read the sequels to Pride and Prejudice and to Emma... I guess sequels by diferent authors can't be as good the original..I didn't like Scarlett as much as Gone with the Wind....but talking of wind..I loved Wind in the Willows

I have now started reading very light and funny novels.... read all the Bridget Jones books by helen fielding ...and I would recommend Sophie Kinsella to anyone who wants a good laugh

"A House for Mr Biswas" and "the God of little things" I did enjoy it gave a me an insight into 2 societies that I didn't know very much abt...

hmmmm I guess I gotta try and start reading crichton, archer, forsyth, steele, etc...

jina
03-08-2004, 07:57 PM
I love to read, in general I read novels, hisotircal, political books, all sorts of newpapwers/magazines, language preference, English and தமிழ், I also read Japanese(manga/comics watch way too much anime), I am also learning Arabic, Sanskrit and Hindi so soon I hope I'll be able to read plenty of original works in these languages. sigh, my head gets mixed up with different languges somtimes and I forget what languge I am reading in :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: anywho...thats it for now

sagi
03-09-2004, 01:26 AM
well short and simple

i cannot sleep without reading

anjaligirl
03-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Hi People. I am a fanatic reader, but I find that since I am in college now, I have no time to do anything else but study and mope around to class. Right now I am reading roots by Alex Haley. Its a great book but right now I have no time to read it. :(

sagi
03-10-2004, 11:35 PM
I also have the same problem....i study at night ..otherwise it can't sleep.

Bluelotus
03-14-2004, 03:15 AM
Has anyone read anything by Anne Rice? I know that most of u would have seen "Interview with a VAmpire"....but wondering if anyone has actually read the book or any other by Rice?

Bluelotus
04-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Recommended by sHaLiNi_m

Sister of My Heart (1999) by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
a poet and an author.

U can read an excerpt from the book at this site :
http://www.chitradivakaruni.com/books/sister_of_my_heart/

Seems to be an interesting read..haven't actually heard of her b4.... will be nice if those who have read it would let us know what they though of it.

seny
04-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I have just finished reading a book called "How to be alone" by Jonathan Franzen.. well thani veetula irunthu bore adikurathu nalla intha book eduthu padikka arambithaen.. it is a nice book escepially when u r ready to ready to read some critics about the society.. he deals with a wide range of subjects... it also got a negative outlook on the postmodern imperialistic country... worth reading it....

Seny

Honeyarjun
04-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Right now I am reading 'The prophet' by kahlil gibran.. Its not a complete story book nor a poetic version.. This book contains Gibran's insights for life, how to live etc...
A good one and I will recommend it for people who like to read philosophy ..

vennai1
04-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Right now I am reading 'The prophet' by kahlil gibran.. Its not a complete story book nor a poetic version.. This book contains Gibran's insights for life, how to live etc...
A good one and I will recommend it for people who like to read philosophy ..

yea...sure is a good read... i woud recommend too.. but not for the
easy going... if you are really into dwelling in philosophical issues...
then go ahead...
i am sure everyone who reads will have an effect especially
when he tells about joy and sorrow and worries and how they are all
intertwined... :?
honeyarjun, may be after you are done... you can post your favorite lines... :b:
thanks

Honeyarjun
04-27-2004, 11:09 PM
sure I will post vic.... I am just done with 10 pages now...I am deeply taken by these words...
This.. he(the main character of the story) describes abt the pain for leaving the place which gave him shelter for 12 yrs...
" It is not a garment I cast off this day, but a skin that I tear with my own hands."

I am impressed with each and every line in this book, deeply affecting my inner soul... more to come when I am done with the book.....

yogesh220
05-18-2004, 05:25 PM
hey, yennappaa ithhu ellaaarum englipish novelaa sollreenda... namma fav tamilthaan... kathavu, naalavathu thoon,ponniyin selvan..appuram kavithaila, barathiyar kavithaikal, vairamuthuvin thanneer desam...ellaaam sooper...

appram englishna, sydney sheldon,John Grisham, robin cook, jk rowling ivanga ellaam en fav.. specially Erich Segal.. "a Love story" is my alltime fav....

talking about, Robin cook, once you have read three to four books of his, then you can guess what is gonna happen next..thats my opinion about his novels and hence i have stoppped reading his...

Khalil gibraan..???? onnu kooda naan padichathu illai....

Honeyarjun
05-18-2004, 10:29 PM
yogesh..didnt you read my old posts?? I love reading tamil novels esp kalki, chandilyan..
Its good to know that we have another person who loves to read..

khalil gibran is not a modern time story writer.. He was a great philosopher lived in the time period of 1880's to 1930's.. so his style will be in the old english..stories will also be poetic in nature.. If you get a chance to come across this book.. do read it.. we will get a different perspective about live ...

ragi_kutty
05-19-2004, 11:31 AM
hey ambuli maama nu oru story irukkala...adhu enna kadhai???

yogesh220
06-04-2004, 10:51 PM
hey raaagi, kids cornerukku oodu... :lol:.. btw, lately I was reading a bit old.."Story of pi", a bit unrealistic.. but was a good read...:D:D:D

ferny
06-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Has anyone read anything by Anne Rice? I know that most of u would have seen "Interview with a VAmpire"....but wondering if anyone has actually read the book or any other by Rice?

I'm great fan of Anne Rice novels. I just finished reading 'Blackwood Manor'. Its a pretty good story but I didn't enjoy it as much as Interview with a vampire or Queen of the damned.

Do you read anne rice blue?

ferny
06-05-2004, 01:35 AM
Honeyarjun, great topic! I'm not an avid reader, but I like to read whenever I get the time. My favorite authors are Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte. I have never read Danielle Steele. Since you recommend her, I think pick one up. Which one of her books would you read again?

Right now I am reading a book by Emma Donoghue titled 'Life Mask'. Its pretty interesting so far. It is based on a true story of the elite in London's late 18th-century. I would recommend this book.

vasan
06-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Got hold of a copy of Harry Potter 4 (The Goblet of Fire!)... Yeah. :yes: And gotta see Harry, Hermione and Ron sssssonnnnn... :D Yeah.. Busy life.. :P

Vasan

ps: If you are thinking Harry Potter is for kids, or you have not heard of it.. (possible.. some muggles are like that.. :Ksp: ), I urge you to try it.... Really cooll.. !!

Bluelotus
06-05-2004, 09:46 AM
YEAY!!! :ee:
Me really happy to hear that u read Anne Rice ...and like both Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte

WOW :ee:

:oops:
Actually I have only read Interview with a Vampire and Blood and Gold.
I liked both of them....
Really liked the whole tale of Marius's beginings :think: it was really abt vampire lore I suppose.
Haven't read any others...Kinda waiting for the right time to carry on with Queen of the Damned... :ee:
Did u see the movie?....Q of D...I didn't.... heard such awful reviews ...I didn't want to :(

----------------

So Ferny Which C. Bronte do u like best?
May I guess and say It's Jane Eyre....
Have u read Villette?

-----------------

The Goblet of Fire ...was good ....but somehow I still like the first one better than all of them. :think:

ferny
06-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Blue, I didn't even know the movie Q of D was released! I should check it out. I loved the book. If you are thinking of reading it, I suggest you read 'The vampire Lestat' before you read Q of D. If I remember correctly Qof D is the third book in the vampire chronicles and TVL is the second. But I have to say nothing can beat Interview with a vampire.

Yes, ofcourse Jane Eyre is my fav. I haven't read Villette. Have you? Is it better than Jane Eyre? I have read Shirley. I thought it was pretty good but not as good as Jane Eyre. Actually I like the works of all the Bronte sisters. Emily's wuthering Heights, Anne's Agnes Grey are also pretty good.

Vasan...How is goblet of fire? I have only read up to the chamber of secrets. The last part of that book was kinda scary. I don't know how kids read that book without getting nightmares. Have you seen the new Harry Potter movie?

Bluelotus
06-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Well Ferny,
Villette and the Professor were highly disappointing.
I didn't even read more than a couple chapters of the latter.

nothing of C Bronte shall ever equal Jane Eyre.

Shirley was really good compared to the other 2.
Must say though...that villette and the professor are supposedly abt her. :think :?

you might like this book...it's loosely based on Jane Eyre...a modern detective story with a literary twist... with a dollop of science fiction: "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde.

I really liked wuthering Heights too...and also Agnes Grey.

But they are quite melodramatic at times ...the Bronte Sisters in general

While Jane Austen always seemed far more grounded in her work.

Shy
06-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Blue, I didn't even know the movie Q of D was released! I should check it out. I loved the book. If you are thinking of reading it, I suggest you read 'The vampire Lestat' before you read Q of D. If I remember correctly Qof D is the third book in the vampire chronicles and TVL is the second. But I have to say nothing can beat Interview with a vampire.

Yes, ofcourse Jane Eyre is my fav. I haven't read Villette. Have you? Is it better than Jane Eyre? I have read Shirley. I thought it was pretty good but not as good as Jane Eyre. Actually I like the works of all the Bronte sisters. Emily's wuthering Heights, Anne's Agnes Grey are also pretty good.

Vasan...How is goblet of fire? I have only read up to the chamber of secrets. The last part of that book was kinda scary. I don't know how kids read that book without getting nightmares. Have you seen the new Harry Potter movie?

Goblet of fire, I read long back. I aint impressed with that. I second blue, I love the first one -both seeing and reading :)

Ferny, researches has said, kids arent suppose to read such huge books in the first place'aam... Also with such twists and turns :)

Shy

tinker
06-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Has anyone read " The Five pople you meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom .

Reviews can be had here.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786868716/103-9223637-2771026?v=glance

vasan
06-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Goblet of Fire was good... I liked all the four I have read so far - and each is fascinating, captivating in its own way. Goblet ends a little abruptly though - and now I am all impatient to get hold of 5 (order of phoenix) and read.. :P

I am all for kids reading bigger books. Harry potter is NOT big enough. Lord of the Rings is originally a kids book and that is pretty hard to read and long as well. Through the looking glass is not a small book... Jungle book is quite a size too...

More over if you are reading one book per year, and if you start harry potter 1 when you are 5 or 6 you will a teen by the time you come to the 7th (which is yet to come.. ) and its not only interesting - but even great that kids of that age who are supposed to have an attention span of 20 mins sitting and reading a book of any length.. I greatly welcome it..

By the way... Goblet of fire was unputdownable.. Pun intended.. :P

vasan

silican
06-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Indha vaaram I got a chance to get a couple of good books from the public library. One is "சோழ வேங்கைகள்" . This book is written by sindubadh. The story is a 3rd person narration of the Sozha history and the rise and fall of the sozha dynasty. The book is a detailed elaboration of the culture,food and war details of the sozhas and their rivals.

One thing surprised me in tht book was the food the kings ate. We do have a feeling from Tamil movies and dramas that the Kings used to eat fruits and drink vine. But the authors has said tht ancient Sozhas , King Ori, malaiyamaan thirumudi kaari and other kings were great connoisseurs of Non-vegetarian foods. They liked sea foods and boneless meat had been common those days.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves historical novels and have a passion for vivid description.

Silican

yogesh220
06-10-2004, 01:14 AM
hey do any of you know what book month is this june month.. In this crazy America, it is said to be GLBT book month. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D

ferny
07-22-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm reading Pride and Prejudice right now. go here to find out more about it http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11255

P.S Sorry folks, couldn't resist throwing in a plug for Geetham Book Club :wink:

vasan
07-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Nice try, Ferns.. Nice and subtle.. :wink:

vasan

vennai1
07-22-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm reading Pride and Prejudice right now. go here to find out more about it http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11255

P.S Sorry folks, couldn't resist throwing in a plug for Geetham Book Club

somehow i am still stuck with first few pages of parthiban kanavu.
yes. its a tamil novel. for more info click here ;)
http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=109751

ferny
07-23-2004, 08:35 PM
enna vennai sir, tamil book clubiku allu seka pakiringkala? :wink: :P

vennai1
07-23-2004, 08:55 PM
enna vennai sir, tamil book clubiku allu seka pakiringkala

ferny anne, nothing like that :P saw your plug got reminded ;)
kochukaatheengal :P

ferny
07-23-2004, 09:58 PM
oh not at all vennai. chuuma. go ahead... plug away :wink:

Bluelotus
07-29-2004, 11:12 PM
hmm well kinda juggling a couple books at the moment :ush:

Still reading pride and prejudice ...an amazing novel that you should all read btw :wink:

just finished "memoirs of a geisha" :P a really nice book... I don't know how much was true and how much wasn't ...but I got rather involved n the whole story... :oops:
but really strange though...I preffered nobu to the chairman...
you really feel sorry for them..yet cannot help admire tham..the geishas that is

yes I promise ..I won't touch another one till P& P is over :sm03:

blue.

Bluelotus
10-13-2004, 07:38 PM
has anyone read the "virgin suicides" by jeffrey eugenides?

if so what do you think...was it good bad terrible?

worth reading?

vasan
10-13-2004, 08:05 PM
haven't read.. but supposed to be rather depressing.. :( heard its not a great read though.. :think:

there is a movie too based on this book..

if you do read, let me know..

v-

Bluelotus
10-13-2004, 08:08 PM
hmm I think I will ...looks rather intriguing....heard of the movie but not seen it

will let you know how I find it

blue.

Bluelotus
10-25-2004, 08:11 PM
everyone,

do read Virgin suicides by J eugenides....

It's macabre sordid and completely morbid when it comes down to Cecilia....but I couldn't put it down..

it's a fascinating book which addresses suicide in a unique way....they don't see them as messed up girls...but they worship them...it's really unique
at various points the boys merge into one homogeonous group..they all feel what one of them does...
so do the girls in fact...appart from lux and cecilia they too are just the Lisbon girls..creatures of mystery and boyhood dreams...

the author is really good...humourous yet not crass...he deals with the subject mater really well, with tact yet it's not a PC book.

4.5 / 5 ...a excellent read!!

Learned so much abt the 70s too :ahha:

vasan
10-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Oh.. 4.5 out of 5 is it.. :think: That too from the critical pen of Blueink.... rrr.. Bleulotus.. :sm03:

Scheduled, Blue.. 4PM and then this..

Thanks very much for rekindling the interest..

v-

bbabab2004
10-27-2004, 01:23 AM
yes i am also novel reading habit usually many tamil novels and few english short novels, it is very interesting to read some and know about new things about nature,love,etc. recently i read sangam novel by cinnapa barathi. it is excellent and also new views .
but these days because of tv, people are not reading much novels now. thanks ok bye

revathy
11-22-2004, 10:36 AM
All the books written by sydney SHeldon are so.. interesting. Also Daniel Steel, She write really nicely. except the thing is that after you read few of her books everything leads to the same theme but you should try reading her novels. Sydney SHeldon is the best. I don't have to say anything. You guys probably know.

prasan8181
12-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Ah, nice thread to write something about when you are extremely bored. Why should not I try listing all books I remember reading? Right.

In the decending order of time...

Dickens: David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities, and some ten to twenty of his short stories.

Tolstoy: Anna Karenina, and some of his short stories. (Anna Karenina disturbed me quite much for a couple of days)

H. G. Wells: First Men on Moon, The Island of Doctor Moreau, and numerous short stories. (I vote for H. G. Wells as my favourite write when it comes to science or humour. Especially read his story on a ghost, man, it makes me laugh hard even to remember that.)

Jane Austin: Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion. (Man, it is the romance interwined in the traditional british society that is captivating. There is not much in the story, Jane always prefers an auspicious ending, but she keeps her readers not by suspense, but by we way of story taking you back to the scene in suburbs of London.)

Scott Fitzgerald: The Beauty and the Damned. (It is a tragedy. But the romance is superb. Let me give you an excerpt, my favourite:
But between kisses Anthony and this golden girl quarrelled incessantly.

“Now, Gloria,” he would cry, “please let me explain!”

“Don’t explain. Kiss me.”

“I don’t think that’s right. If I hurt your feelings we ought to discuss it. I don’t like this kiss-and-forget.”

“But I don’t want to argue. I think it’s wonderful that we can kiss and forget, and when we can’t it’ll be time to argue.”

Cool, not it? ;)

Edgar Alan Poe: Amazingly humorous short stories, you keep laughing once you finish the story. The unexpected humour in an unexpected way is his speciality.)

Thomas Hardy: Romantic Adventures of a Milkmaid (and that is a wonderful story on love. A kind of love which could easily be branded as the bad kind, but gets its credit in the hands of Hardy. )

Julius Verne: Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea. (I read it a long back.)

Fyodor Dostoyevsky: The brothers Karamazov, A Raw Youth, The Double, Notes from the Underground, The Idiot, The Gambler, The Crocodile (Dostoyevsky is the best author I have ever read. He tells me a lot about myself.)

Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead. (I liked her very much when I read her. People do find her inspiring, but does the inspiration last long? )

Daphne Du Maurier: The House on the Strand. (My first fiction)

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Homes. Everything related with Sherlock Holmes. (You have never tried Sherlock Holmes? Too bad...)

Science-Fictions: One book on specially made clothes controlling human personality. I dont remember the book name or the author name. But it was a good book. A sci-fi book should be very realistic. It should convince you that such a thing will really happen in the near future... I hate sci-fi by Issac Asimov. I tried only one book from him and that was horrible.

And a lot of Enid Blyton and Alexandor Duman in childhood days.

Some Sydeny Shelten, some James Hadley Chase, one Herald Robbins, and some more unknown authors who dont stay in my mind or heart.

Some people talk highly of John Grisham. I am yet to try that.

Right. If anyone reads this up and would like to say something, you can say me at my id here @yahoo.com (well... i dont often check out the messages here, thats why)

Cheers. --Prasanna.

prasan8181
12-11-2004, 01:12 AM
Ah, I am still bored. Why should not I talk about literature? Reading habits in general... in a kind of soliloquy...

A lot of people read widely. A good thing. But i dont know how much is this "lot" in the population of the world. But still... even meeting ten or twenty people around the world who share the same joy and feeling for literature as you do, gives you an impression of "a lot". When you happen to see such people, you suddenly find a lot of things in common with them. Because literature is something close to your heart. You smile with its characters of a novel, laugh when they laugh, cry when they are in distress. Well... you suddenly find a lot of things in common with the people, with those people who share the same tastes of you in literature.

But... okay... there is some kind of uneasiness in sharing your personal views on literature. When a stranger admires your favourite novel with such a feeling almost same as yours, it is something like having your wife admired by a stranger.

Wait... i dont mean to say everyone feels that way... but i do. And i beleive a few people do feel that way. I dont even mean to say that that is a proper perspective... i just say that some people find it so too.

Okay. Another point i wish to touch upon. It is hard to understand what another person feels about a novel. It is hard to describe it. Hard to say what all you felt when you read that novel. Note, i am not talking about suspense or thriller stories, but i am talking about stories by Dickens or Tolstoy and the like.

I am wavering. I am unable to put my thoughts precisely on this topic. Well. I stop.

shiam_saran
12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Boy o Boy.. you seem to have read so many books.. I have just read a few of sydney sheldon, daniel steel, Nicolas Sparks,jackie collins.. well.. couldnt remember the author much...

But I remember the first book I read.. a novel.. called Jane Eyre.. I think I was 8 or so.. I just couldnt understand anything.. hee.. Its a love story and I was too small to understand that.. I often kept wondering.. why is this girl behaving like this hee... I always laugh when I think about that... Innocence.. I bet todays children has lost them.. Some beautiful memories .... planning to write them in a diary.. so that my predecessors will get a chance to read hee.. nothing very great but even though.. to me they are precious....

I am feeling so good now.. recollecting those golden time.. it kind of cheered me up...

Shiam

prasan8181
12-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Boy o Boy.. you seem to have read so many books.. I have just read a few of sydney sheldon, daniel steel, Nicolas Sparks,jackie collins.. well.. couldnt remember the author much...

Now, now, I have no idea who Daniel Steel is, who Nicholas Sparks is, though i remeber having read Collins. You have read so many books too, so many that I have no idea of.

I once believed after reading four novels and some short stories of Fyodor Dostoyevsky that I had read all of his works. And only recently did I learn that I have not read even one quarter of his works.

Come on, nobody can do it all. There are works written by men and women all over the world over five centuries. We should take a look at google groups literature section to find out how little we have read.

But I remember the first book I read.. a novel.. called Jane Eyre.. I think I was 8 or so.. I just couldnt understand anything.. hee.. Its a love story and I was too small to understand that.. I often kept wondering.. why is this girl behaving like this hee... I always laugh when I think about that... Innocence.. I bet todays children has lost them.. Some beautiful memories .... planning to write them in a diary.. so that my predecessors will get a chance to read hee.. nothing very great but even though.. to me they are precious....

Hey, let me tell you this. Many people tell me that they read "David Copperfield" when they were 10. I always wonder those times. One of the best part of David Copperfield is its romantic aspect. What can a 10 year old understand about it!

But I think, we all interpret literature in our own way. No, nothing is right or wrong. It is just that we all seem to have our own ways of deriving pleasure out of books.

Madhan was once asked in his Q&A section in Ananda Vikatan: Q:"Madhan, you say you have some books specially for reading before sleep. Can we have the list, so that we could use it for our sleep too."
A: "One of my friends highly recommended a book to me. I found it a total crap. I recommended one of my best books to my friend. He found it absolutely boring. ..."

And about some beautiful memories... yes, we all have them. We always enjoy our own memories. But they are so lackadaisical to a second person, unless that person loves us dearly. Those memories are personal to us, as personal as anything else that is personal to us ;)

I am feeling so good now.. recollecting those golden time.. it kind of cheered me up...

I am feeling good now too! That mood is infectuous you see. :)

Prasanna.

anjaligirl
01-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Ive become a recent fan of Anne rice and the vampire series, its not a regular fantasy book and it really makes you think about humanily as a whole and what we would be like if we could live for thousands of years.

Ive read pride an prejudice also, its good romantic lit... its actually a really fun read if you are into classical novels.

Thinking about reading war and peace.. anyone read it yet? Any comments on it? It seems like an enormous task to undertake readin it.

Narayana
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Ok. I've been to geetham for some months now.. but first time i'm here... not yet finished exploring geetrham :D

I tried reading all the posts till now. but with lord of the rings propped up b4 me, i couldnt.... I like Science fiction mainly(Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov) Clarke's Childhood's End is the best i hav ever read. Asimovs Foundation series is gud...
Roger Zelazny too is to my liking.. Something about his time of events. u know...neither past nor future . very novel ideas too...
Then of course Douglas Adams....
But my all time ever-still favourite was, is, will be HARRY POTTER.(If there's any1 who has not read 'em please do so.. its not 4 kids alone.... And if u 've read 'em and dont like 'em,...... then <mum> No use talking)
Lord of the rings is excellent.
I used to read Hardy Boys like mad.. must have read abt 300 of them while in school...
Thewn ofcourse the classics... Conan doyle, twain, benhur, jekyll hyde...... ....
Man! i left Michael Crichton! HIs jurassic park, lsot world, timeline, prey,... all are gud.
the davinci code.. not bad...
I HATE agatha cristie , sheldon,...
I like vampire stories... Bram Stokers Dracula is gud.. Anne Rice's some works... etc
Thats all 4 now... Bye
--N

Narayana
01-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey, let me tell you this. Many people tell me that they read "David Copperfield" when they were 10. I always wonder those times. One of the best part of David Copperfield is its romantic aspect. What can a 10 year old understand about it!

Well. to tell u i too read that when i was 14 or something.. and i felt like he was somehing like a hero. he was that still. no memories of yourself with...u know ... nothing like "seeing you in his shoes" thing. And thats the very very fair aspect of harry potter. whwtever age u r , u get to see urself somewhere in the story... u see your characteristics, ur portion in many characters. 'tis like being there... even tho its a 3rd person narrative, u feel like u r inside it...u dont fell that u r reading a bukkk.,,

You smile with its characters of a novel, laugh when they laugh, cry when they are in distress. Well... you suddenly find a lot of things in common with the people, with those people who share the same tastes of you in literature.
Very true. Markings of a good book they are...

prasan8181
01-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Man! i left Michael Crichton! HIs jurassic park, lsot world, timeline, prey,... all are gud.

Isn't the "Lost World" by Doyle?

Well. to tell u i too read that when i was 14 or something.. and i felt like he was somehing like a hero. he was that still. no memories of yourself with...u know ... nothing like "seeing you in his shoes" thing. And thats the very very fair aspect of harry potter. whwtever age u r , u get to see urself somewhere in the story... u see your characteristics, ur portion in many characters. 'tis like being there... even tho its a 3rd person narrative, u feel like u r inside it...u dont fell that u r reading a bukkk.,,

Hm, sounds interesting. May be i'll try Potter someday.

Bluelotus
01-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Harry Potter books are good but I wouldn't say that they were amazing. My favourite still remains the first one. Certainly not for children only, in fact no books in my opinion is reserved for the sole use of children.

Narayana, have you tried philip pullman's books? there're really good. WIth a good mixture of magic, fantasy and adventure intermngling to create some great plots.

Anjali girl,
have you read "the interview with a vampire" by anne rice, I found the book so much better than the film.

Prasanna
you under-estimate the romantic shall we say understanding of most young girls. amazingly enough children are very quick to grasp certain things far more easily than adults, whom mostly are constrained by their beliefs and etiquettes
yup read david copperfield probably around that age ..and several times later :ahha: I like it much better than Oliver Twist :think: thought the latter was bit of a wimp

douglas adams and asimov are great :b:
I wish I could disconnect from the world, time and soace ...and just read...

blue

Narayana
01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
hi prasan8181,
Doyle too has written Lost World. But it was Crichton's buk that was made into the film: Jurassic park and Lost world. the books are very gud.
Hi blue,
no i havnt read any of philip pullman's works.. will try when i get time.. thanx.
--N

coolian
04-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Looks like everyone's stopped reading :ahha:...

Bluelotus
04-12-2005, 01:48 PM
certainly not :Ksp:

Started "the teeth of the tiger" by Tom clancy and still trying to finish Notes from a small island by bill bryson.....

both book are very gripping....

what are you reading cooli?

blue.

Shy
04-12-2005, 01:52 PM
side track -->

Enna avatar ithu coolian .. I mean kapaathunga'nu kupidureengala.. illai... neengae bybye solitu guthika poreengala :think: :ee:

I am reading "the perfect husband" by lisa gardener... NY to DC amtrakla porachae sema bore so vanginaen .. so so thaan... still reading it :oops: :oops:

Shy

ns80
04-12-2005, 02:32 PM
NY to DC amtrakla porachae sema bore so vanginaen

this amtrak journey is way too boring. i did something similar to that during my day long journey in Amtrak. Read "Catch me if you can" book - the biographical sketch of con-artist Frank William Abagnale. It is one of the books I read pretty patiently and pretty fast(was at the epilogue section at the end of my journey).

Very interesting history indeed, if you are a lover of fantasy, real-life stories this is one book you got to read. The story has much more to tell than the Leo Caprio-Tom Hanks starrer movie. Defenitely worth the money for the thrill of reading this book :D.

I wanted to read The Beautiful Mind, yet another biographical novel by Sylvia Nassar on the Nobel Laureate John Forbes Nash, but dint find the enthu to read that big a biographical novel. edhavadhu Amtrak journey kedaikkaamaya poidum :ee:

coolian
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I was reading Consciousness Explained and this Robert Ludlum book (I just can't seem to remember the title!!)...but I've not touched either for about a month now...gotta read those ******* research papers instead :-(.

raghu
04-12-2005, 04:27 PM
HI!.
iam reading THE SUMMONS by John Grisham..........
its not as great as his other works,but a good time pass..........

Sukran
05-28-2005, 11:20 PM
I"m reading "Shutter Island" By Dennis LeHane. I just finished Indigo Slam by Robert Crais! Indigo was good, the genre was action/humor. But Shutter Island is blowing me away!!!! THe genre is Mystery/thriller. Awesome!!!!! :b: :b:

raghu
05-31-2005, 03:29 PM
reading THE TOXIN by Robin Cook, as usual Robin cook stories..viru viru nu pogudhu....

dinesh
05-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Rule of Four - Pure drivel.

goodcomplanboy
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
reading THE TOXIN by Robin Cook, as usual Robin cook stories..viru viru nu pogudhu....

yea I remember reading this sometime back. Is this about the hospital contagious disease??? and the guy staying in a local neighbourhood trying to solve the mystery of this contagious disease which attacks the hospital first???

vasan
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Is this about the hospital contagious disease??? and the guy staying in a local neighbourhood trying to solve the mystery of this contagious disease which attacks the hospital first???

aNNE GCB,

That pretty much describes all the books of Cook.. :P :P :P

Rendu book padichen.. and the third one padikkum pothu, munna padicha nyabagam varuthu.. and 4th and 5th was மண்டை காய விட்டுட்டா ர்.. then I stopped.. :ee:

Either that, or I am growing tired/old or should give about 2 years gap between one book to the other so you can forget.. :ahha:

v-

goodcomplanboy
06-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Either that, or I am growing tired/old or should give about 2 years gap between one book to the other so you can forget..

:ahha: this is the only book I read of Cook. So cant really compare with his other books :ahha:

raghu
06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
GCB.. Toxin la disese spread by meat from sick cow...as vasan said u need a long gap bt Robin Cooks book..ilena bore adichudum.....

Bluelotus
06-01-2005, 02:09 PM
why don't you all come join Geetham book club? :think:

raghu
07-24-2005, 02:52 PM
ifinished reading "COLOUR PURPLE" a very strong story...i didnt want to see the movie as i wanted to read the book.and yest they showed the movie in TNT..it has been taken well.book is a collection of letters written by 2 main characters.get a chance read it...

vasan
07-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh.. Color Purple paartheengala... :D

Nice movie.. :b: One of Spielberg's early movies... and one of his best.. :b:

v- :D

rsivaraman
07-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Ms.bluey
finished reading David Copperfield.. to sum it up in one line.. have never read such prose.
each character has been so well depicted ...it make you part of it all :sm03:

great book

-Siva

vasan
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Siva.. :yes: :yes:

Dickens is Dickens.. all said and done.. :D

"Whether I shall turn out to be a hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by any body else, these pages must show"...

As with his Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist.. This is one of my forever favs.. :sm03:

Vasan

ps: I had a serious crush on the name Agnes for a while.. :oops: :oops: It was sooooo real in my mind.. :P :P

dinesh
07-25-2005, 09:33 PM
I read King of Torts by John Grisham recently, not entirely believable but it is a good look into the murky world of American mass tort law firms.

valluvan
07-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Still reading "Deception point".

Shy
07-25-2005, 10:08 PM
After Harry potter, didnt come out of the :( yet... I miss that character :cry: :cry:

Planning to read some good history book.. any suggestions?

history, but mysteriousa irukanum... :ee:

Shy

rsivaraman
07-25-2005, 10:16 PM
I had a serious crush on the name Agnes for a while
me too V.. especially whenever her character comes into the picture in the final few chapters.. my heart felt so light don't know why :D :D...me like her very much :sm05:
I like the lines where he sees her for the first time with the color stained glasses behind her and how he descibes her conuntenance... :P

Shy if you are looking for real history and mystery..there is a book called
the great mysteries of the past -readers digest compliation.. its got some of the best unsloved mysteries you can read. I had a copy of it in India..real good read

-Siva

vasan
07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Planning to read some good history book.. any suggestions?

Try History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters, by Julian Barnes

Or

The Source, by James A Michener (history as centered on middle east archeology.. pretty rivetting book actually.. long, and unputdownable.. :ee:)..

Each suggestions cost you 10 cents, so please deposit 20 cents into the numbered account for thaathaa's retirement scheme.. :wink: :P

Or if you prefer Kitchen to a Bank, you might send one plate sweet corn bajji and one plate of Onion Bajji.. :ee:

v- :wink:

goodcomplanboy
07-26-2005, 01:02 PM
I read King of Torts by John Grisham recently, not entirely believable but it is a good look into the murky world of American mass tort law firms.

yup not really believable. Especially the figures he comes out is enormous. One can simply become a millionaire in 2-3 days. Looks like winning a lottery. But I see lots of these kind of ads in TV. If you are affected by so-and-so medicine please call attorney:.... I believe these ads are for a class action.

dinesh
07-26-2005, 06:01 PM
I believe these ads are for a class action.
I wonder how many class actions actually see the court.....most of them get dropped on the way once the people realize the potential of money making is low or they get settled... :think:

Bluelotus
07-26-2005, 06:56 PM
"The Time Traveler's Wife", by Audrey Niffenegger.
found it in the science fiction section of the bookstore, but although it does contain some science I would consider it more of a romance.
the timelessness and endurance of love seems to be the most important theme through out the novel. It certainly makes you almost believe that Love is as tangible and steadfast as the Pyramids of Giza, that it survives not only time but also people.
Apart from the soppy bits :wink:, it's a gripping story. You shan't want to leave it till you reach the end :ahha:
It is about time travelling, so worry not...but not time travelling as I have come across before. The whole novel is narrated in the first person by either the Time traveller or his wife...
arghh peeps just go read it :ee:

Summer Moonshine by PG woodhouse :ee:
a great light read. excellent for the beach :ahha:
hilarious, reminded me of modern day soap operas.

blue.

raghu
07-26-2005, 09:15 PM
i love PG Woodhouse...its all funny.....

suha
10-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Now i am reading

How to win Friends & Influnce people

arthur= Dale Charngie

very intresting :sm10:

dinesh
10-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Read A Painted House by Grisham......superb read, very different from the ususal Grisham fare. Story was told through eyes of a seven year old, and I believe it was a reflection of Grisham's own bringing up in rural Mississippi. Till now The Street Lawyer used to be my Grisham favourite, but now I have changed my mind :b:

raghu
10-21-2005, 02:39 PM
reading the Da VINCI CODE amazing book..just cant keep the book down.stored with informations.do read it

vijitha
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
reading the Da VINCI CODE amazing book..just cant keep the book down.stored with informations.do read it

yeap its awesome.. read it already :ee:

but welllllll i willl let you finish the book

Shy
10-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Raghu.. awesome book.. kandeepa padingo...

I love that book..

Now into tamil books :ee: vera onnum illai, got hold of "Arthamulla Hindu Matham".. padichutu iruken.. but 3 parts thaan irukku.. heard its 7 volume.. :oops:

Shy

goodcomplanboy
10-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Arthamulla Hindu Matham

Kannadasan book thaane?

Not into much of reading nowadays :( but got two books to read @ home. Will try to find time this weekend.

dinesh
10-21-2005, 08:42 PM
stored with informations
most of the "informaiton" is quite debatable. It should be read with a pinch of salt ;)

coolian
10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey D, what was that Crichton book you (?) were talking about in RT?

dinesh
10-21-2005, 08:47 PM
State of Fear

rsivaraman
10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey guys any good, thoughtprovoking Autobiographies, teacher was telling about Experiments with truth. some more inputs

-Siva

coolian
10-21-2005, 08:55 PM
You'll have to wait for mine, buddy. Give it a few years.

vasan
10-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey guys any good, thoughtprovoking Autobiographies, teacher was telling about Experiments with truth. some more inputs

-Siva

Ippo thaan RT-la potten.. :ee: :Ksp: Vennuna copy-paste pannikonga.. :ee:

v-

vasan
10-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Sivaji,

I haven't read that many autobiographies.. But of all the things I have read I cherish:

1) An Autobiography - J Nehru. Unparalleled writing style. Touch it, you get hooked..
2) Autobiography - Ben Franklin.. Quite a character..
3) Diary of an Young Girl - Anne Frank, A classic on its own..
4) The story of my life - Hellen Keller, a timeless piece of inspiration..
5) "Surely you are joking, Mr. Feynman" - R. Feynman No need for descriptions..

Some autobiographies of scientists have been very inspirational too..
1) Home is where the wind blows - Fred Hoyle
2) Disturb the Universe - Freeman Dyson
3) George Gamow's autobiography (don't remember the title now)..

EllamE copy irukku... aana in India..

You will surely enjoy any of them or all of them.. Have fun.. !

v-

vasan
10-21-2005, 10:27 PM
experiments with the truth would read like ramblings.. :snooty: :snooty: Not very absorbing reading.. :Ksp: kashtapattu padichen.. :ee:

v-

Shy
10-21-2005, 10:35 PM
experiments with the truth would read like ramblings.. :snooty: :snooty: Not very absorbing reading.. :Ksp: kashtapattu padichen.. :ee:

v-

Father of nation's... :evil: :evil:

I appreciate you read it .. want everyone to read it.. :)

Shy

Shy
10-21-2005, 10:37 PM
GCB aama pa the same one :)

Shy

vasan
10-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Father of nation's... :evil: :evil:

I appreciate you read it .. want everyone to read it..

Shy

Father of the Nation-aa irunthaa ennaa ஆட்டுக்குட ்டி of the nation aa irunthaa ennaa? Nalla ezhuthunaa, nallaa ezhuthunaar, illainaa illai.. :ahha:

manushan nallaa aaL appadinnugarathukkaaga boook padikka mudiyaathu.. :ee:

நெற்றிக்கண ்ணை திறப்பினும ் சுமாரான புத்தகம், சுமாரனதே.. :sm10: :D

v-

Shy
10-21-2005, 11:00 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRR

Shy

vasan
10-21-2005, 11:40 PM
புதிய ஆத்திச்சூட ில எங்க ஆள் சொல்லியிரு க்கார்: சொல்வது தெளிந்துசொ ல்..

அந்த வாக்கு மீறின புத்தகம் யார் எழுதினாலும ்.. சாரிங்கோ.. ;ஃபாலன் ஷார்ட் ஆப் த கோல்ட் ஸ்டாண்டர்ட ்.. :ee: :ee:

v-

dinesh
10-21-2005, 11:46 PM
டீச்சர்கிட ்ட பூரிக்கட்ட ை அடி வாங்கியே தீருரது......அ ப்படின்னு எதனாச்சும் விரதமா தாத்தா? :sm12:

Shy
10-24-2005, 02:55 PM
dinesh, thatha ippadi thaan.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

vidungo...

How crappy the translation mightbe, left like crying when reading certain para's... Avaloo kashtam intha Indiakku thaan :cry: :cry: :cry:

Shy

rsivaraman
03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Read a book called The Tipping point by malcom gladwell.

it had a interesting prespective as to how social epidemic and fashion trends are tipped by very small events. and tries to get links from varous studies that have been done in that area.
a few weeks back cools had posted an article about why a song becomes a hit, this book tries to explain that phenomenon. nice read; if you guys get your hands on it, give it a try :b:

-Siva

emyesbee
03-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Read an article about "Rising India" in the recent issue of Newsweek (dated March 6); presents the changes happening in India. Very interesting one.....

Started to read a book concerned to my research....I was thinking not many people working in my area but there are hell lot of people working in my area but they call it be different name; more that? there are 2 books related to this area which our set of people call by different name. The books are:

- Immunity-based systems

- Immunocomputing - applications and principle

Started to read the first book. Excellent one.....gives a strong view that we might be looking forward to biology piercing into the computer science rather quickly. It gives an excellent theoretical background for that.....hmmmmm.....just started still 100 pages to go :)

Minnie
03-11-2006, 07:20 PM
right now i am reading all the posts in geetham :ahha:

emyesbee
03-11-2006, 07:43 PM
right now i am reading all the posts in geetham :ahha:

Rombathaan :evil: :evil:

dinesh
03-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Protect & Defend by Richard North Patterson

coolian
03-21-2006, 07:30 PM
The Intelligent Investor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligent_Investor) by Benjamin Graham (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Graham)

I'm already hooked.

rsivaraman
03-24-2006, 10:05 PM
cools nice book da. I read a few pages online and I had to buy it :b:

The Innovator's Dilemma (http://www.trudelgroup.com/bookr12.htm) by Clayton M Christensen , good read

-Siva

dinesh
03-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Just finished a Ruth Rendell omnibus, Kissing the gunner's daughter, Simisola and Road Rage. I still can't make up my mind about whether she is good or not....

Next in the pipeline is Christopher Meyer's DC Confidential.....

Bluelotus
03-27-2006, 10:07 PM
bitter fruit. by achmat dangor. An interesting book. My first book about South-Africa, and although a little depressive at times, it certainly gave me a lot to think about, and not simply about the New South-Africa, but also about life in general.

rsivaraman
04-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Catch -22 by Joseph heller :b: , different kind of humor , like it

-Siva

Shy
04-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Any mystery crime or historical fiction books u guys reccomend???

Shy

rsivaraman
04-20-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't know if I mentioned before, if you like war like fiction books, eye of the needle, eagle has landed(one of the best I have read), are nice

-Siva

vasan
04-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Sivaji,

Innum Jack Higgins padikkureengala? :P :P Not bad.. I say, not bad.. :ee: :P I thought I was the only one.. :ee: :P

~~~~~~

Teacher,

Have you read any of Carl Hiassen's books? Good ones all..
Neal Stephenson's The Big U, Cryptonomicon, and Zodiac is decent as well..

Off late, been reading some legal thrillers by Paul Levine (Solomon vs. Lord is funny), and Richard North Patterson.. :b: (RNP is quite intricately written).. Also the ones by Steve Martini.. :b: :b:

Paperback copies venumaa? :) Come to LA.. You can get three boxes full of them, that I don't know what to do with.. :ee: :P

v-

dinesh
04-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Richard North Patterson.. (RNP is quite intricately written)
:b:
I have read 3 of his books, Protect and Defend is the one I like best

goodcomplanboy
04-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Paperback copies venumaa? Come to LA.. You can get three boxes full of them, that I don't know what to do with..

I am planning for LA trip sometime in August/September. So ellam ready'a vechukunga, I will collect it :) Thanks in advance :razz:

Shy
04-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Paperback copies venumaa? Come to LA.. You can get three boxes full of them, that I don't know what to do with..

I am planning for LA trip sometime in August/September. So ellam ready'a vechukunga, I will collect it :) Thanks in advance :razz:

I am planning for NJ GCB House trip sometime in August/September. So ellam ready'a vechukunga, I will collect it :) Thanks in advance :P: :ahha:

Shy

Shy
04-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks Siva, Vasan and Dinesh... :)

Innaiku B&N poren.. hope I get most of these..vera iruntha solunga, will put in my queue..

Shy

vasan
04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Innaiku B&N poren

Good good.. :b: :b: Borders ponaa thaan passport vEnum.. inga no need.. :P :P

v-

rsivaraman
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shy
04-20-2006, 09:45 PM
:00: :snooty: :00: :snooty: :00: :snooty:

Shy

ns80
04-20-2006, 09:59 PM
naan Nicholas Pileggi'oda Wiseguy and Casino padikkanum'nu romba naala waiting. parpom, enniku adhukku kaalam vara pogudho :Ksp:
~~~~~

Borders ponaa thaan passport vEnum.. inga no need

adhe adhe sabapathe :yes: :lol:

tharankini
04-22-2006, 01:07 AM
கல்கியின் "அமரதாரா"

Shy
04-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Richard North Patterson.. (RNP is quite intricately written)
:b:
I have read 3 of his books, Protect and Defend is the one I like best

Just finished this book Dinesh. Thanks for recommending :b:

Shy

tharankini
04-24-2006, 01:29 AM
கல்கியின் "பார்த்தீபன ் கனவு"

lasik
04-29-2006, 08:41 PM
finished agatha christie's "Destination Unknown".. didnt like it much.
now i've started "black Coffee"

Shy
04-29-2006, 09:59 PM
finished agatha christie's "Destination Unknown".. didnt like it much.
now i've started "black Coffee"

athai thaan dailyum kudikureenga, appuram enna :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shy

lasik
04-29-2006, 11:43 PM
athai thaan dailyum kudikureenga, appuram enna

yen.. :Ksp: isnt it good? :?

ns80
04-30-2006, 12:08 AM
neenga Black Coffee novel'a solreenga. Teacher andha coffee'a pathi solranga.

lasik
04-30-2006, 04:52 PM
neenga Black Coffee novel'a solreenga. Teacher andha coffee'a pathi solranga.

oh ok...teacher, naan black coffee kudichute black coffee padikaren. :wink:

~~~~~~~~~

guys, can u suggest me some good mystery and detective stories? thnx.

lasik

rsivaraman
04-30-2006, 04:56 PM
lasik you seem to like agatha christie, if so try these three
Murder of roger acroyd
Death on the nile and
Murder on the orient express

they are her best :b:

are you looking for someother kind of mystery?

lasik
04-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Murder of roger acroyd
Death on the nile and
Murder on the orient express

yeah.. i like agatha's novels.

out of these, i ve read and seen the movie Death on the nile. I will look for other 2 novels. thnx siva.

do u know any other good mystery and detective novels by other authors?

thnx
lasik

ns80
04-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Both 'Roger Ackroyd' and 'Orient Express' were made into movies right :think: atleast 'Orient Express' AFAIK was a movie.

lasik
04-30-2006, 11:14 PM
yeah... both r made as movies... just now confirmed in IMDB

dinesh
05-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Reading Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found by Suketu Mehta now. A very interesting book detailing the writer's experiences living in the city....

lasik
05-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Did any read kavya viswanathan's "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life"

am going to read :sm10:

Shy
05-16-2006, 12:20 AM
no I am not.. neenga.. padichutu sollungo :P

Shy

coolian
05-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Read it and throw it in the trash and take a photo of it. Please?

vasan
05-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Read it and throw it in the trash and take a photo of it. Please?

Grrr...... Its equivalent of reading 4 or 5 books.. :) Saves a lot of shelf space too..

v-

ps: plus, oneday you might sell it off of ebay and make some pizza money..

coolian
05-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Its equivalent of reading 4 or 5 books..
:ee:

Shy
05-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Grrr...... Its equivalent of reading 4 or 5 books.. :) Saves a lot of shelf space too..

v-

:sm12: :sm12:

Shy

dinesh
05-16-2006, 06:37 AM
ps: plus, oneday you might sell it off of ebay and make some pizza money
Actually, since the publishers are pulling it, she might actually make some money after some time, selling it as a rare print :ahha:

lasik
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Its equivalent of reading 4 or 5 books..
:yes: BTW.. i didnt buy that book. my friend's book. osi thaan. :wink:

padichutu solren.

dinesh
06-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found is an excellent debut book by Suketu Mehta. It details the two and a half years he spent in Bombay, his native city, returning from the US. It is an uncompromising look at the good and the bad, the violent and the saintly, the ugly and the beautiful and much much more. It is more of a travelogue than a novel, but each page has its own story.

I don't know how to write a review on this book, as there is so much stuff covered within it. From the day-to-day struggles of Bombay life(how you don't "hire" an electrician, but being a "relatioship" with him), a city which supports more people than it can with its antiquated infrastructure to the race problems in Bombay (including a brilliantly mental interview with Bal Thackeray :sm12:), from the common shooters of the underworld to the dons to the encounter specialists, from the dance bar girls to co-penning Mission Kashmir and open conversations with many a bollywood star, from a saintly teenage runaway poet from Bihar to a Jain family going through the process of attaining diksha, there is so much in this book. It starts to look at Bombay, how Bombayites define Bombay as a city, and then delves into the individuality of the communities, the slums, and the people themselves.

Sometime back I wrote about "Shantaram", another book about Bombay life. It was written by an Australian, and had an equally thorough observation of Bombay. But since it was by an author who is not used to the Indian way of life, it had the inevitable tinge of novelty, which added romance to the story. Here, there is none of it. The experiences of the author are given raw. Some of the pages need guts to read. And some of them need guts to accept.

A recommended read. :b:

coolian
06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Never heard of it. Borders time over the weekend.

lasik
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
finished kaavya's book. novel is ok. but i vent read any those novels from which she copied. but i did google about her plagiarism.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=512948
so, there is nothing creative or no individuality in her work. :(
somewhere i read that she has copied from salman rushdie's novel also. :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
started reading procession by jeff gulvin. :D

dinesh
06-06-2006, 08:10 PM
started reading procession by jeff gulvin.
OK....procession is alright, hopefully you won't get bored midway :b:
~~~~~
Haven't still gotten out of Maximum City hangover yet, spent some days re-reading parts of it :ee:
Now have started on RNP's The Outsider. Doesn't seem very promising :(

lasik
06-06-2006, 10:18 PM
OK....procession is alright, hopefully you won't get bored midway

is it? :think: lets see

vasan
06-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Onto RNP's Final Judgement.

Just done with Forsythe's Icon. Bit disappointing.

v-

vijitha
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
me reading மகாபாரதம்

lasik
06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
how is Dan Brown's "Deception point" ?? any idea guys? :think:

dinesh
06-13-2006, 09:28 PM
how is Dan Brown's "Deception point" ?? any idea guys?
Don't. At least Da Vinci Code had something resembling a plotline. Deception Point and Angels And Demons are just plain silly.

lasik
06-13-2006, 09:32 PM
oh ok.. thnx D. I'll cancel the hold today.

Shy
06-14-2006, 03:05 AM
Dont even touch deception point.. :evil: :evil:

Angels of demons kuda parava illai even though the plot is loosu thanam..

Shy

Bluelotus
10-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Shopaholic abroad :Ksp: ... I nkow so light weight even feathers are heavier....but I don't care :ahha:

Bluelotus
11-30-2006, 12:26 AM
"The Lady and The Unicorn" by Tracy Chevalier, based on the famous tapestries of the same name, is an enjoyable read, gripping at times. Chevalier touches on sevral themes as she guides you through the weaving of the tapestries.
Although it was a good fictional work, somehow I found it wanting, but how I don't know. It disappointed me a little, I expected something more ...

vennpuraa
11-30-2006, 12:33 AM
i'm reading this post now :D :D :........................DGS book....

Sivaraman
12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I am a great fan of Sujaatha.
I have read almost all his novels.
I have uploaded the 5 novels to sendspace .The links are:

Name: SUJATHA - filmutsav.pdf
Size: 118KB
Description: Sujath /FilmUtsav

The download link is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/kgeqmw

Name: SUJATHA - eppadiyum_vazhalam.pdf
Size: 151KB
Description: Sujatha / Eppadiyum Vazhalaam

The download link is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/har53d

Name: SUJATHA - enge_ en_vijai.pdf
Size: 126KB
Description: Sujatha/ Enge en Vijay

The download link is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/uttr9w

Name: SUJATHA - curfew.pdf
Size: 133KB
Description: Sujatha/ curfew

The download link is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/prbbj3

Name: Sujata.nagaram.pdf
Size: 98KB
Description: Sujatha/ Nagaram

The download link is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/y6s2u4

Hope you enjoy these ebooks
Cheers,
Sivaraman

Shy
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks Sivaraman :b: :b: :b:

Shy

Sivaraman
12-12-2006, 07:03 AM
You are welcome.
"Yaam petra inbam peruga ivvaiyagam"!

:D:D:D:D:D

Bluelotus
01-25-2007, 09:57 PM
The old kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix
Sabriel, lizrael and Abhorsen.

It's next best thing to the Lord of the Rings. Magic, courage, quests and evil sorcerers. It's a captivating adventure

vasan
01-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Garth Nix? :think: hmm.. haven't heard about him.. :Ksp: :(

~~~~~~~~~~

James Michener's Hawaii.. :b:

Pulitzer winning novelist... Great book.. :b: Hoping to read all of his works.. :b: Next one is Drifters.. :b:

v-

Bluelotus
01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Garth Nix? :think: hmm.. haven't heard about him.. :Ksp: :(

v-

australian bloke
rather good :D ~ fantazy of course :wink:

Bluelotus
01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Currently reading : "Curious minds"
a collection of essay by various scientist on what inspired them to chose the path of science...
ranging from Steven Pinker to VS Ramachandran...

oh and "the Ageing Brain" by Lawrence Whalley
which unfortunately pales when compared to the previou one :D

Shy
05-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Any interesting

thriller
or
investigative
or
law related

novels :think:

vasan......antha writer Grishman ooda nalla novels solunga please

Shy

tinker
05-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Any interesting

thriller
or
investigative
or
law related

novels :think:

3(Sh)y

Daily thandhi padikkaringala ? ..... ;)

Here ya go for the list of his books .... http://www.randomhouse.com/features/grisham/main.php

Bluelotus
05-08-2007, 08:34 PM
try "the historian", it's a great book...especially if you like vampires :wink:

Shy
05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
try "the historian", it's a great book...especially if you like vampires :wink:

acho.. athu konjam bayam.. :oops: poi antha book pathi padichu paarkuren :) thanks !

Shy

vasan
05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
antha writer Grishman ooda nalla novels solunga please

Shy

Grishman-aa.. John Grisham theriyaathavanga neenga oruthar thaan ninaikkuren.. :think: :think: Nearly all of his books have been on the times bestseller list and about half a dozen of them were made into movies..

Here is some:

1) A time to kill - not really about death penalty but sorta close to it.. (Movie stars Matthew McConnaughy, Sandra Bullock, and Samuel L. Jackson)

2) The Firm - his phenomenal bestseller. (Movie starring your boy, Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman)

3) The Pelican Brief - Semipolitical / legal thriller (movie starring Julia-my-girl, and Denzel Washington)

4) The client - client is a kid (movie starring susan sarandon, Tommy Lee Jones)

5) The chamber - death penalty is the background.. legal and race relations in the south - MUST Read (movie starring Chris O'Donnell and Gene Hackman)

6) The Rainmaker - Good one on a rookie lawyer taking on a tobacco firm - (movie starring Matt Damon and Claire Danes)

7) Runaway Jury - great read, and back to tobacco firm litigation - (Movie starring John Cusack and the gorgeous Rachel Weisz and Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman)..

His latest have been ok.. but not as good as these seven, in my opinion. His short story called Bleachers is good - especially if you like college football.. :b: Rest of the books haven't been made as movies yet.. :ee:

His latest two, and other two books Skipping Christmas, and a Painted House.. I haven't read yet.. :ee: :)

v-

Shy
05-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Neengo sonna movies ellam paarthuten :ee:

1) A time to kill
2) The Firm
3) The Pelican Brief
4) Runaway Jury

yess.. neenga sona novel annaiku ithu thaanae? The chamber

What abt innocent man???

Shy

vasan
05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Yes, Shy. The novel I talked about the other day was: The Chamber. This is also made into a movie. Chamber is about death penalty - as the name suggests.. :b:

Innocent man is released this year, I think.. I haven't read the book yet - don't know what it is about..

v-

Shy
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Ok "the chamber" vanguren. Is it good to read too ;)

Shy

vijitha
06-14-2007, 12:53 PM
I haven't read anything for almost an year :\

vasan
06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I haven't read anything for almost an year :\

Oh.. Be careful, Viji.. appuram eppadi- padikkanumne maranthudum.. :ee: :wink:

Michael Crichton's Airframe is a great read. :b: Just done.

Vasan

coolian
06-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Michael Crichton's Airframe is a great read.
His most boring book, in my opinion.

nigtn62
08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
One more gemini to the forum! Nothing can take the charm of cuddling with a book, with lots of norukku theeni by side! I enjoy both tamil and english books equally though i feel the guys who cant read tamil are missing a lot by not being able to devour sujatha, balakumaran, kalki, devan, s.v.v. jeyakantan, vairamuthu to name a few. Does any one have balakumaran stories in pdf format?

nigtn62
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, physically 45 years of age, mentally still a teenager! Profound interest in cooking,music and reading- for livelihood Finance professional!

Some of the authors i would like u all to try are :

Christopher reich - The runner, Devils banker, The Patriots club
Stephen Frey - Vulture Fund - This book was written in 1997 - read it and u will think 9/11 was stage managed!
Nelson Demille - Night Fall
Jeffrey Deaver - Blue Nowhere, Vanished man, Devils Teardrop, Maidens Heart, Bone Collector, twisted, more twisted
Michael Connelly - The poet, concrete blonde, Chasing the dime
David Koontz
Harlan Coban
Ken Follet
David Balladcci
Vince Flynn

Try these guys! i spent my good amounts on these guy and enjoyed every paise!

ns80
10-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Inspired by the Bourne movie trilogy..I've started on Bourne Identity :ee: The book seems to portray Bourne in a lot more humane way and Marie's role has a lot more influence than just being a screen filler in the movie. This is my second attempt in reading a movie related story after 'Catch me if you can'

Shy
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Inspired by the Bourne movie trilogy..I've started on Bourne Identity :ee: The book seems to portray Bourne in a lot more humane way and Marie's role has a lot more influence than just being a screen filler in the movie. This is my second attempt in reading a movie related story after 'Catch me if you can'

Oh antha padam paarthu than thaangal antha book padikanumnu mudivvu paneengala :ee: ok ok..

Shy

vasan
10-15-2007, 04:34 AM
Identity was pretty darn good. Although only loosely connected to the movie.. Just the premise is the same..

Didn't enjoy the second and third books that much. Ludlum pulls sorta same punch one too many times.. :oops:

We've got a Damon fan, here, it seems.. :wink: Good will hunting, Bourne stuff.. Alright.. :ee:

v-

ns80
10-15-2007, 01:01 PM
We've got a Damon fan, here, it seems.. :wink: Good will hunting, Bourne stuff.

Not really. Its just a coincidence that I saw Good Will Hunting around the same time Bourne Ultimatum released.

Identity was pretty darn good. Although only loosely connected to the movie.. Just the premise is the same..

The novel story would'nt have worked well in the movie, its way too detailed to be made as a movie as is. Read that Identity was made into a TV series in the late 80s.

dinesh
10-31-2007, 03:11 AM
Recently completed The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and Trader, Guns and Money by Satyajit Das, both excellent

Halfway through Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but have put it on hold because it tires me a lot. It requires you to concentrate the whole time you read it which I am not very good at

dinesh
10-31-2007, 03:17 AM
Grishman-aa.. John Grisham theriyaathavanga neenga oruthar thaan ninaikkuren.. :think: :think: Nearly all of his books have been on the times bestseller list and about half a dozen of them were made into movies..

Here is some:

1) A time to kill - not really about death penalty but sorta close to it.. (Movie stars Matthew McConnaughy, Sandra Bullock, and Samuel L. Jackson)

2) The Firm - his phenomenal bestseller. (Movie starring your boy, Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman)

3) The Pelican Brief - Semipolitical / legal thriller (movie starring Julia-my-girl, and Denzel Washington)

4) The client - client is a kid (movie starring susan sarandon, Tommy Lee Jones)

5) The chamber - death penalty is the background.. legal and race relations in the south - MUST Read (movie starring Chris O'Donnell and Gene Hackman)

6) The Rainmaker - Good one on a rookie lawyer taking on a tobacco firm - (movie starring Matt Damon and Claire Danes)

7) Runaway Jury - great read, and back to tobacco firm litigation - (Movie starring John Cusack and the gorgeous Rachel Weisz and Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman)..

His latest have been ok.. but not as good as these seven, in my opinion. His short story called Bleachers is good - especially if you like college football.. :b: Rest of the books haven't been made as movies yet.. :ee:

His latest two, and other two books Skipping Christmas, and a Painted House.. I haven't read yet.. :ee: :)

v-
Rainmaker is about rookie taking on health insurance company :old:

Painted House is a really good one without any of the legal/thriller stuff.

Here is the complete list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grisham#Fiction

Yet to read Playing For Pizza though, I don't think it is available here yet

Shy
10-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Merci Vasan and Dinesh..

Vasan flightla that day me bought some danielle steel book ;) since all these books were kinda too big and i know annaiku mudika mudiyaathunu... coz me have this history book incomplete.. :oops: :oops:

I am still in the roman empire chapter of "The short history of the world"

Shy

Sivaraman
11-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Happy Diwali to all you JG Fans.I have uploaded a .rar file with 15 of his ebooks for your reading pleasure.
The link is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/68498755/JOHN_GRISHAM.rar

Cheers,
sivaraman.:ghug::ghug::ghug:

daya
11-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Reading "Medical Firsts - from Hippocrates to the Human Genome" by Robert E. Adler. Quite an interesting book, especially when all the milestones of Western Medicine have been recounted one after the other chronologically.

vasan
11-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Sivaraman Sir.. :sm08: :sm08:

Thanks very much.. :sm08: Although I have all the books in paperback too.. :)

v-

Sivaraman
11-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Dear Vasan,
It is my pleasure.I too have all his books in hard copy.I simply love his style,characterisation,plots and the way he has so ly mastered the art of simplifying legal topics in such an absorbing way that even lay readers without any legal background get hooked.And what suspense that makes his books unputdowneable!.

Sivaraman
11-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Just finished reading his,"The Devil and Miss Prym",a most enthralling book which examines the question,"Are human beings,in essence,good or bad?".It is a story about a stranger arriving at the remote village of Viscos,with a backpack containing a notebook and 11 gold bars.He comes searching for an answer to the above question that torments him about the goodness or badness of human beings.In welcoming the stranger,who is willing to gift the gold bars to the villagers,provided they are prepared to commit a murder of any villager of their choice, the whole village which has so far been innocent, becomes corrupted and greedy enough to become his accomplice and stoop to plotting the crime.It is only a courgeous local village girl who stands between their greed and corruption and rekindling their conscience,to prevent them from being corrupted.
It ,like all his previous books like"The Alchemist","Fifth Mountain"and many others, is a thought-provoking parable and is definitely worth adding to your library.
I hope that there are some other Paulo Coelho fans in this forum.He is one of the most beloved authors of our times, whose books have sold over 75 million copies worldwide,and translated into 62 languages.
I for one am one of his great fans.I simply love reading and mulling over the philosophies propounded by him in his books.
Cheers to his other fans,
Sivaraman.:):):)

Bluelotus
11-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Soul made Flesh, by Carl Zimmer.

Based in 17th century England amidst the civil war, it describes how the "secrets" of the brain were slowly unfurled by the philosophers and doctors of those days. It's written more like a historical novel than a factual essay.
an excellent read.

Sivaraman
11-15-2007, 07:16 PM
All you dear fans of Sujata,
I have today uploaded a .Rar file containing his following absorbing tamil works:
1.Amma Mandapam
2.Arangetram
3.Film Utsav
4.Ilaneer
5.Jannal
6.Kaalgal
7.Kaaranam
8.Arisi
9.Curfew
10.El Dorado
11.Engey en vijay
12.Eppadiyum Vazhalam
13.Nagaram.

The download link is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/69952554/SUJATHA_S_TAMIL_NOVELS.rar

Happy Reading,
Sivaraman.:ghug::ghug::ghug:

dinesh
11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks sivaraman.... :b:

I hope that there are some other Paulo Coelho fans in this forum.He is one of the most beloved authors of our times, whose books have sold over 75 million copies worldwide,and translated into 62 languages.
I tried a couple but never managed to get hooked....

Bluelotus
11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Wintersmith, Terry pratchett.
A thoroughly hilarious experience. After all, it's not everyday that Winter himself falls in love with a witch in training protected by little blue men and an apprentice hero besotted with her
Honestly, Terry is a brilliant satirist ... but than again I'm biased :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sivaraman,
on a different note, I have heard during an interview that Paulo Coelho only starts writing new novels if finds a white feather.
The alchemist was good, but other than that I have just read "manual of the warrior of light" a vaguely Christian self help book.

suha
02-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Death on the Nile - agatha christie

Apple Juice
03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Currently I'm reading 'Sherlock Holmes, the Complete Stories.' The book weighs more than I do, but it's a fun read. I think I'm gonna start on 'Running in the Family' by Michael Ondaatje next.

Bluelotus
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I think I'm gonna start on 'Running in the Family' by Michael Ondaatje next.

he's the SL-Canadian author, isn't he?
I still haven't read his English Patient, but heard him on world book club once...

Apple Juice
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Yep yep, he's SL-Canadian. I haven't read 'The English Patient' either. I did read 'In the Skin of a Lion' a couple of years ago. A friend of mine recommended 'Running in the Family' to me so I thought I'd check it out.

vijitha
03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Running the Family is good I heard..
Haven't read any of his book.. one day one day..
~~~

reading "one shot" by Lee Child.. okay book.. .just like any other thriller..

vasan
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Lee Child.. :) Got a bunch of his books on a sale in our local library.. (each 25 cents.. :wink: :) )..

jack reacher is a roughneck-james-bond.. :)

v-

vijitha
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
He sure is thathaa...
only if i can meet a guy like him.. in person :(
life is sad

vennpuraa
03-05-2008, 10:06 PM
what am i reading.......letseee......... .."Electronic communication system"
such a great boook ;)

vijitha
03-19-2008, 07:26 PM
finished reading about Richard..
~~~
then read.. Rage of Angels.. by Sidney Seldon
~~~
last night finished reading.. Mitch Albom's For One more Day

next?

Shy
03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Daya..

Q. Where is the home of the Russian navy's Baltic Fleet?
A. Kaliningrad.

;) ;) ;) ;)

Interestingaa porathu ;)

Shy

Bluelotus
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
the russian navy's baltic fleet would be in the baltic states - if only the baltic states would allow them into their national waters :Ksp:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shy akka.
if you've finished with russian crime - you really must try this book : "If only it were true ..." by marc levy

Shy
03-19-2008, 11:48 PM
the russian navy's baltic fleet would be in the baltic states - if only the baltic states would allow them into their national waters :Ksp:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shy akka.
if you've finished with russian crime - you really must try this book : "If only it were true ..." by marc levy

Is this the book where.. girl goes into coma and then.. ;) movie paarthutenma :) nice one illai...

Shy

Shy
03-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reco daya...

This is my first attempt to like Seymour.. It failed. For me, the book moves so slowly, that I started to get impatient and it was more like a duty for me to finish it than the pleasure it should have given. I did like the part how people get motivated and take risk to help each other but still I feel it quite didnt carry if off.

Anyways merci merci... unga naala atleast i gave it a try :) .... let me try Devil's banker now!!

Shy

butterfly
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
A Suitable Boy by Vikram seth :)

vasan
03-25-2008, 05:21 PM
A Suitable Boy by Vikram seth :)

Wow.. :) That book is so big, I feel discouraged to pick it up.. :oops: :oops:

Padichittu, briefly, in two short paragraphs, please let me know the story. :wink:

Thanks, Butters.. :sm08:

v-