PDA

View Full Version : COME AND TELL ME ABOUT "CUTE"

sagi
02-23-2004, 05:21 AM
HIIIIIII ALLL,
DO YOU KNOW THE MEANING OF "CUTE" ? IN MY SCHOOL, MY ENGLISH TEACHERS TAUGHT ME THAT IT MEANS "UGLY BUT INTERESTING". BUT MY BEST FRIEND IS SAYING THAT IT'S WRONG......PLEASE HELP US HERE.....WAITING...WAITING....

san2003
02-23-2004, 05:44 AM
CUTE means = UGLY BUT ADORABLE! ;)
my friends say that to me and say its suppose to mean in a good way... but i think there is something behind it... if not why it says ugly?
anyone other ideas?

gokulan42
02-23-2004, 05:50 AM
HIIIIIII ALLL,
DO YOU KNOW THE MEANING OF "CUTE" ? IN MY SCHOOL, MY ENGLISH TEACHERS TAUGHT ME THAT IT MEANS "UGLY BUT INTERESTING". BUT MY BEST FRIEND IS SAYING THAT IT'S WRONG......PLEASE HELP US HERE.....WAITING...WAITING....
Sagi/Sans, are you sure that they dint mean 'you' ;) *kidding*

Sagi, can u please give the link here (dictionary link that I gave you)?

madhu_aish1
02-23-2004, 06:14 AM
cute ..

http://www.equinox-products.com/images/baby%20and%20kid%20care/cute%20baby%20in%20roses.jpg

figuratively this is cute for me... one of our receipe queens had this as avatar.. "sivam" .. The cutest avatar i have ever seen ... :D :D

but sivam has changed it .. her new avatar is also cute thou' .. :wink:

sagi
02-23-2004, 06:36 AM
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entries/57/c0825700.html
This is the link you gave to me Goku.
You are right but your meaning a is a new version of "cute" .
what san and i talk about is the REAL OLD meaning...dont' tell me that my whole school donno enligsh ;)

arunsharavan
02-23-2004, 07:26 AM
HIIIIIII ALLL,

Sagi,
I typed the word "Cute" in Dictionary.com. The following are the hits:
1.Delightfully pretty or dainty.
2.Obviously contrived to charm; precious
3.Shrewd; clever.

I didnt see any negative synonym (like ugly) for this word.

Arun

sagi
02-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Arun, i told you already that its the real old version,,,meaning..... :) but thanks for spending your time in it.... :)

suha
02-23-2004, 08:05 AM
sagi.......sagi.......

cute na teriyadha acho da :doh: .................irri irri baiya vandhu solli kodupanga :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

seri cute naa...........barbie doll collection poi parungo ok yaaaaaa

arunsharavan
02-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Inda suha-kku Barbie Doll collection-a thavira vera onnnnnnnnnnnnum theriyadhu

Arun

suha
02-23-2004, 08:20 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil: ingayum vandhu mattikitingalla .............ponna podhu orru topics la irrundhu release panlaam irrundien :think: ........summa illa punish ment koduthu......ippo ingayumma?........ seri yenna saiye :doh: ..........unga tala yelutha yarla matha mudiyum :sm10:

san2003
02-23-2004, 08:40 AM
there's old meaning and new meaning for cute va?.... teriyama poyerchae..... wat's the new meaning of cute?

seri cute naa...........barbie doll collection poi parungo ok yaaaaaa

hahaha... barbie doll collection are cute... and very very pretty ;)

sagi
02-23-2004, 08:56 AM
its very easy,,,,like in tami how a word's original meaning goes away and a new one comes.....same with cute ;) i am waiting to get an evidence...give me some time :)

Bluelotus
02-23-2004, 09:45 AM
'Cor Blimey Lady!
I never thought all those guys I found cute were "ugly"!!

Wot an eye opener this one is.

Come one seriously ...cute ain't ugly....cute is easy on the eyes....they have something which makes them fanciable ....usually till they open their mouths :ahha:

Cute is indeed adorable, but not quite handsome or beautiful...

gokulan42
02-23-2004, 03:36 PM
its very easy,,,,like in tami how a word's original meaning goes away and a new one comes.....same with cute ;) i am waiting to get an evidence...give me some time :)
Ok, now I got it. Maybe that was a million years ago, right. We never know ;)

You are special and that is for sure.

sagi
02-24-2004, 03:41 AM
Guku, not million year ago...I am waiting for my school to reply. i have written to my high school's English department...i will come back with my evidence :) athuvaraikkum poruththu porene...but i thought ethum theriyalainna, therinjavanga kita kettu therinjukkuvang enu..but inga yaarukku antha ennam konjoondu kooda varala ;) but did you notice that San did agree with me? ;)

gokulan42
02-24-2004, 04:10 AM
but did you notice that San did agree with me? ;)
San? No way!

san2003
02-24-2004, 04:19 AM
wat happening here?.... ethuku naan agree pannaen sagi mummy?

moviefreak
02-24-2004, 04:21 AM
never mention a girl in US that she is cute...which means cute does not mean pretty.
However, most kids are cute as well as pretty...dictionary meanings don't go well in practical.

moviefreak
02-24-2004, 04:21 AM
never mention a girl in US that she is cute...which means cute does not mean pretty.
However, most kids are cute as well as pretty...dictionary meanings don't go well in practice.

sagi
02-24-2004, 04:49 AM
CUTE means = UGLY BUT ADORABLE!
my friends say that to me and say its suppose to mean in a good way... but i think there is something behind it... if not why it says ugly?
anyone other ideas?

i hope you can read in english friend.. :)

san2003
02-24-2004, 04:56 AM
hehehe... athe va sagi mummy... ammam... im in sagi's team.. sori gokul .. hehehe
its true.... even u see gokul said cute.... so is it meant in good terms or wat?
as moviefreak mentioned... cute in some places is meant as ugly.. but why?
for me... personally what i feel is cute means something adorable and nice to look at... for eg..when i see a kid doing something naughty or somethin like that.. ill say... sooo cute.. it is like saying ... choo chweet :) hehehe

gokulan42
02-24-2004, 05:10 AM
hehehe... athe va sagi mummy... ammam... im in sagi's team.. sori gokul .. hehehe
its true.... even u see gokul said cute.... so is it meant in good terms or wat?
as moviefreak mentioned... cute in some places is meant as ugly.. but why?
for me... personally what i feel is cute means something adorable and nice to look at... for eg..when i see a kid doing something naughty or somethin like that.. ill say... sooo cute.. it is like saying ... choo chweet :) hehehe
Cute means ugly and interesting? Come up with the evidence.

In some parts of US, keeping the office too organized or neat is considered as a gay thing (really). Does it mean the same everywhere? NOOOOOO

Dictionary says pretty and charming (I gave the url as evidence). If somebody disputes that, its your responsibility to bring the evidence. Then, I will learn, shutup & go...

sagi
02-24-2004, 05:17 AM
San don't worry da. I didn't want to tell the world what i know about cute. When i studied about it, i also thought its strange........that's the reason for bringing up this topic. just leave it...i am not here to fight :)

san2003
02-24-2004, 05:24 AM
me too ... im not here to fight
but its good u brought up this topic.. ill alwiz wondered wat it means in real... coz it seems now it is said as charming, beautiful and all the nice things
but i did learn n it was said as ugly but adorable... which simply meant its nice to look at coz adorable or interesting but in real fact it is ugly.... im tryin to find evidence as well :)

san2003
02-24-2004, 05:28 AM
i found this meaning in somebody's website... i dunno u can consider it to be evidence
"Cute is the lowest of the good looking people. Cute usually means that they have a few good qualities that make it easy to over look the bad qualities"
well.. basically i meant that... they r ugly but adorable.. so cute ;) hehehe

gokulan42
02-24-2004, 05:31 AM
Sans/Sagi, good decision. Im not here to fight - since everybody is telling that ;)
Would be nice to see some evidence from that eng teacher :)

sagi
02-24-2004, 05:34 AM
SO now all of you know that what i learnt was correct.I know that it was the right meaning...i even mailed my high school...waiting for my english head teacher's reply. :) thanks to you San. I am also from a western country.....and I was born and living for past 20 years...ippidi irukka ennellam pesi en english mela nekku doubt vara pannitele ;)