PDA

View Full Version : Football chat (Soccer for you 'Merricans)

dinesh
03-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I have some interest in this sport, and was wondering whether anybody else here share my interest???? We can have a chat about the current goings on in football under this topic.....Let's start with the English Premier League....

Do you think Arsenal has got what it takes to go all the way and win the League? Do you think they can do even better (a triple perhaps)? Do they have the squad depth to cope up with all the high pressure matches? Or will they capitulate like the last season?

Let's go!!!

san2003
03-08-2004, 04:36 PM
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!! :)
sori dinesh.. jus giving support to MU... dun really know much about EPL though :) hehe
sori :) :sm03: :sm03: :sm03: :sm03:

Bluelotus
03-10-2004, 01:49 AM
I doubt very much if many will join in this topic considering the majority is addicted to cricket and the rest to other sports more popular in the Americas.

San ...u too....Oh Well cannot be helped I suppose... :Ksp:

Well so far with an impressive 67 pts Arsenal is at the top of the premier league. Followed by Chelsea and Man Untd, Newcastle Untd and Birmingham city.

Man United is out of the Champions league, so potentially they have more time to concentrate now on the Premier league. The semi-final is to be played at Villa park...previous matches btween the 2 teams have not worked out in Arsenal's favour....wonder if it will affect them tht much this time
(Arsenal looks good so far...it has the most goals scored and the least number of goals let thru; 2 top ten scorers in Henri and Pires; have won 20/27of games played)
I think they stand a good chance of winning the FA cup….don’t know abt the others though..

I’m lost anyway between all these different competitions….what’s the difference between the League Cup and the FA Cup?
(Champions league/European cup, I totally get though)
Champions league…well the gunners definitely want to win it…they r good but don’t know if they’re that good…(and I do support them :ee: ) I mean teams like Real Madrid are quite scary… :?

I hope somebody actually comes and joins u Dinesh and makes this threat a lot more interesting… :ahha:

Comenaughty
03-10-2004, 01:54 AM
being an absolute soccer fan, esepecially of real madrid and arsenal, i have lost the track of the recent happenings in the front..... i read somewhere that MU is the richest team around in europe..... but still they r hopeless ;)... (my view).... guess arsenal will easily wint he EPL..... :b:....have to get updated with the champions league.....

i recently heard there was lotsa cheating in a recent game between valencia and real madrid.....wonder wat happnd.....wud be good if someone throws lite on this :b:

thanks

vasan
03-10-2004, 02:03 AM
I’m lost anyway between all these different competitions

Same here... Took some interest in checking it out, but while the game is not complicated, the clubs and the various cups are too confusing.. have a friend who is good AC Milan addict.. all these italians.. I tell you.. :Ksp: It was way too easier following mohan began, east bengal, kerala and goa..

Anyways.. Whats going on with Real Madrid? Any updates from THE People??

Bluelotus
03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Well the English FA (football association) was put together in the late 1800. All official football clubs are affiliated to it. The English premier league (EPL) is the top division of the English FA ( I keep saying English cos the Scotts have their own FA...can't remember abt the Welsh and the Northern-Irish...Although Eire has it's own FA too cos different country and all). U have many divisions within the FA to accomodate the different level of skills exhibited by all football clubs.

Now the Football league is a different thing all together. This association was created too enable the lower division clubs who naver seemed to rise to the top and make any money....to be able to do so.......The major Clubs like Man united and Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea...don't seem to be in the Football League...(this bit I don't actually understand)
But some of the clubs from the higher division of the Football League like Sunderland also play towards the FA Cup.

Both FA and the League have different sponsors.....yeah it's all abt money these days

It would be nice if someone who actually gets all this could come and shade some light ..

If u take part in the FA and in the Football League ...and ur in the top blablablah then u get to go play for the Champions league...a European Football Club tournament, where all the top clubs in Europe play. although so does Russia ....i mean sheesh the majority of Russian land is beyond the Ural mountains so not in Europe.....well tht's beside the point anyway

For Real Madrid u need to consult the Spanish League.......they're really good .....and kinda scared for the Gunners (Arsenal) cos of them.....and now Real Madrid also have Beckham...and I heard he seems to be doing really well

Well I heard the Man United was the richest club in the world....but tht's proble very old and eronous info......but they pretty rich ..I think they're even on the FTSE-100

Now there's another major European event coming up....the Euro2004....it's like the world cup comes only every 4 years but for European countries...including Russia and Turkey...yeah yeah I know I'll stop moaning abt the geography thingy....
It's gonna take place in Portugal...and last time France won the trophy

But first we should look out for the Semi-final btw Man U and Arsenal....

Bluelotus
03-10-2004, 09:29 PM
And just a quick PS: I don't want england to win the Euro2004...I thnk the Rugby one was more than enough for them :ee:

Bluelotus
03-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah Me Again :ee: ......just heard the news:
Arsenal, AC Milan, AS Monaco and Real Madrid ......all 4 through to the next round.

dinesh
03-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Er....good to see so many posts.....I'll write some stuff to clarify the points raised..

1. In England the Football Association(FA) is the overall authority for football. Every other footballing nation has its own FA.
2. Proffessional football is played in two levels. The Barclaycard Premier League(sponsered by Barclaycard) and the Nationwide League (sponsored by the Nationwide Building Society). The premier league is the top league and the country's top 20 clubs play there. The Natiowide League consists of three divisions, the First, Second and Thrid divisions. Plus there is also a Foruth division called the Conference. Each season teams are promoted and relegeted to and from every league according to their performances. For example the bottom three clubs in the Premier League, will be relegated to the First Division, and the top two clubs and the play-off(a mini-tournament) winner from the clubs ranked 3-6 go up to the Premier League. Same happens over the other divisions as well (This is how Sunderland is in the First Division now, they were relegated last year).
2. Two cup tournaments also take place in England. The FA Cup (the more popular one) and the League Cup. Both are knock-out tournamemnts(although some rules differ, like replays and two-legged matches) and are played with no distinction between the different leagues. Any team can play any other team in the country, according to the draw.
In England, the winners of either tournament will be awarded with a place in the UEFA Cup(explained below).
4. English teams also participate in Europe-wide tournaments. There are three such tournamemnts.
a) The Champions League (CL)- The prized tournaments played by the continent's top clubs, and a guaranteed money spinner. Each year four teams from England qualify for the tournament. These teams will be the first four teams from the Premier League form the last year(In this year's Champions League England was represented by Manchester United, Arsenal FC, Chelsea FC and Newcastle United). Similarly, other European countries will also get some places in the CL according to the standard of their league. This tournament has a four-tiered league for the first round and four knockout stages. Knockout stages are played over two legs, once each in the home stadia of either team, and the aggregate is used to decide the winner.
b) UEFA Cup - The other European tournament. This is played by the next level of clubs within Europe, ie the clubs which didn't get CL qualification. England has 3 UEFA Cup places each year. Two places are given to teams which win either domestic cup, and one from the league. In the event of either Cup winner getting a CL place, then the UEFA Cup place will revert back to the PL. (Certain teams from the CL will also compete in the UEFA Cup, after the first group stage....more later :))
c) The Inter-Toto Cup - This is a summer tournament from which three teams qualify for the UEFA Cup. England has one place for the Inter-Toto cup and the team is selected from the last years PL, as the team which is the highest placed team after the CL and UEFA qualifiers. Participation in this tournament is entirely voluntary for the clubs.

Have I missed anything? :think:

dinesh
03-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Eight clubs have qualified to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League.
1. Porto FC - Portugal (They knocked out Manchester United last night)
2. Deportivo de la Coruna - Spain
3. Olympique Lyonnais - France
4. Chelsea FC - England
5. Real Madrid CF - Spain
6. AC Milan - Italy
7. FC Monaco - France
8. Arsenal FC - England

One point I missed from the last post : England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have different Football Associations and play in different leagues, and are considered different countries by the FIFA. Ireland, by virtue of being a different country, has a different league as well.

san2003
03-11-2004, 01:23 AM
hi everyone.. sori to bother and slip into this topic... jus wanna ask ...when is the EURO2004? who won it previously :) hehehe... sori pa... jus need some info ;)

dinesh
03-11-2004, 01:28 AM
doll....Euro 2004 starts this summer....mid-June....Euro 2000 was won by France

dinesh
03-13-2004, 02:11 AM
The draw for this year's Champions League Quarter Finals

Arsenal v Chelsea (An all English, indeed all London, affair. Arsenal clear favourites, not having lost to the West London Blues in their past 16 meetings)
Real Madrid v Monaco (Should be easy enough for the galacticos of Madrid, but Monaco are naturally attack-minded, drubbed Deportivo 8-3 in the first round!)
Porto v Lyon (Not one of the usual superstars, but good enough to have progressed this far)
AC Milan v Deportivo (Milan should be strong enough to win this one, Milan's veteran defence line should have enough strength to see off the single striker tactics of Deportivo)

san2003
03-13-2004, 02:22 AM
doll....Euro 2004 starts this summer....mid-June....Euro 2000 was won by France

thanx dinesh :) am looking forward for it... i dunno who to support.. mayb England :) hehe

Bluelotus
03-13-2004, 02:34 AM
SAn don't...they really don't need to win this one :ee:
but it will be nice to see Becks v Zidane...considering they play for the same Fc right now.
Well they r in the same group for euro2004, france and england tht is...so looking fwd to it

dinesh
03-13-2004, 02:38 AM
I don't think England will win this anyway......they don't have enough quality to survive the whole tournement......
France and Italy will be the early favourites

but it will be nice to see Becks v Zidane...considering they play for the same Fc right now.

It'll be even better to see how Sol Campbell handles Henry. :sm12:

Bluelotus
03-13-2004, 03:40 AM
Perhaps England hasn't much to offer ...but u must admit that the French are getting pretty long in the tooth....I mean Dessailly and Zidane ...well can't really remember all the other old ppl.....they must be well past 30 now.

Henry v Campbell :Ksp:
go Henry go Henry....I'm really not biased truly :ee:
(guess it isn't that hard to see y I'm even interested in the game :ahha: )

dinesh
03-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Wellll.....The defence line is getting a bit old.....they really struggled during the world cup as well.....especially Thuram and Lizarazu the full-backs......always willing to go on a forward run but struggled to get back on the counterattack.

But I think France might use a different defence this time around. People like Gallas and Silvestre might get a chance.

But Zidane is still class. I don't think there's anybody around with his control, vision and passing abilities. Sure he is 32 but how many younger footballers can produce the same magic?

Otherwise the team is pretty young, arent they? People like Pires, Henry, Trezeguet, Vieira and Robert......they are quite young and full of pace.....

Bluelotus
03-14-2004, 03:53 AM
True....The oldest bloke in that Team is Marcel Desailly, followed probly by Barthez or lizarazu.
The team has definitly aquired some younger players since the Fiasco of the last World cup. Mind u the then coach Roger Le Mere...Wasn't extremely popular while Santini seems to be doing much better in the popularity stakes.
So which team would present the highest challenge for Fr ....I never seen the Swiss play....

Did u hear abt the possibility of Arsene Wenger coaching the english team if S G E quits after Euro2004? I think that would be a conflict of interest don't u?

yup zidane with a ball is just magnificent.

san2003
03-14-2004, 04:10 AM
Santini seems to be doing much better in the popularity stakes.

hi blues....sori to trouble u and to jump in to ur wonderful discussion about football (cool u know much stuff about football) :)

who is this santini? sounds italian.... from which team? ... jus curious ;) thanx blues (in advance ;)) hehehe

Bluelotus
03-14-2004, 05:03 AM
San babe....I don't know tht much....don't even watch tht many games
Jaques Santini is the French Coach ...the current one...he does seem to be much better at getting through to his players and coming up with game plans,etc than the previous coach Roger Lemer...After all it isn't just the players ...but also the coach and management team which makes a great team. (many French names may sound Italian German or even Spanish due to mixed heritage,etc)

PS: S G E...tht's my acronym for Eriksson (Swedish) the English Coach....and Arsene Wenger is coaching Arsenal, he's french.

No Trouble at all. My pleasure :D
But any real footy questions should probly adressed at Shidinesh or Comenaughty...

san2003
03-14-2004, 06:03 AM
blues blues... at least u know quite well about football...(hmm...we call it soccer here.. hehe.. watever)..... at least more than me :) hehe
thanx for the info .... :) u know why i asked who is santini... well... :sm02::sm02:
its my name (though different spelling :) hehehe..... oops...my secret out)... :ush:

Bluelotus
03-14-2004, 06:26 AM
What a beautiful name...peace I believe?.....shan't mention it .... :ush: :wink:

san2003
03-14-2004, 07:05 AM
thanx blues :) yes yes remain :ush: :)

dinesh
03-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Did u hear abt the possibility of Arsene Wenger coaching the english team if S G E quits after Euro2004? I think that would be a conflict of interest don't u?

I don't think it'll be conflict of interest, but I don't think Wenger would be willing to do it. Even though Arsenal are having a great season they have won precisely nothing, and they haven't acheived as much as Liverpool of the 70s/80 or ManU of the 90s. So I think Wenger would want to acheive some greatness with arsenal first....

san doll.....i'll also :ush: with your secret.... ;)

Bluelotus
03-22-2004, 01:40 AM
Right well 3 matches on Saturday(20th march)
Arsenal v Bolton 2-1
Man U v Tottenham 3-0
Chelsea v Fulham 2-1

And I didn't get to watch any of the games ...so Arsenal is still on winning streak ...which is a very good thing....
Which I hope means they r going to win something this year.

they haven't acheived as much as Liverpool of the 70s/80 or ManU of the 90s. So I think Wenger would want to acheive some greatness with arsenal first
very true, so he most likely won't give up on the FC just yet.

Bluelotus
04-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Lehman is an idiot !! :snooty:
:?

Arsenal 2-2 Tottenham

dinesh
04-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Arsenal 2-2 Tottenham

And Arsenal have won the EPL today :clap:

Bluelotus
04-25-2004, 11:26 PM
:sm05: :dance: :sm05: :dance: :sm05: :dance: :sm05: :dance: :sm05: :dance:

Yeaaaaa !! They won !! :D :D :D

gonna form a worship Wenger sect now :sm03: :ahha: with Henry as his messiah...
*just kidding*
:ee:

Well the current Gunners team has been described by many as the best team in British Football history...I dunno ...it seems to me a bit too much..I mean I think they are amazing...but if say Henry or Pires or Bergkamp was down ...would they still have been able to win the EPL... I doubt it. And sorry to be such a wet blanket but they did mess up those two games with Chelsea and Man Untd....
So all in all I don't think they are THE best ....but they come pretty near to being "the most devastating team" (Alan Hansen).

1 out of 3 is pretty Good...and winning the Title without losing a single game that's pretty darn amazing :b:

Go Arsenal ! :sm05: Go Arsenal ! :sm05: Go Arsenal ! :sm05:

Still think tht Lehman is an idiot though :Ksp:

Right that's over now ...back to work..... :sm10:

[PS: Dinesh what happened to Trisha :think: ...has she been relegated?]

dinesh
04-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Dinesh what happened to Trisha ...has she been relegated?

seasonal changes......can't stare at one pic for long.....even if it is beautiful.....so switched to another beautiful woman now.....will change this too after some time....... :ee:

you can even send your pic to be added to the queue.....might consider putting that up.....mind you, competition is very tough though.....so can't guarantee :ahha:

Bluelotus
04-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Dinesh what happened to Trisha ...has she been relegated?

seasonal changes......can't stare at one pic for long.....even if it is beautiful.....so switched to another beautiful woman now.....will change this too after some time....... :ee:

you can even send your pic to be added to the queue.....might consider putting that up.....mind you, competition is very tough though.....so can't guarantee :ahha:

you wanna scare away all the poor Geethamites :00: (either that or they might all swoon after seeing my gorgeous face :wink: )

However may I suggest a new pix :ee:
Well how abt a picture of Brad Pitt...so I get to drool :D ...(used to do that with Tiny Tom's pix...but Victor changed it :( )
(no more sneha plz...when does her season end??...they r too many of "her" in circulation rite now :Ksp: )

So back to Footy...what's next?

Bluelotus
05-15-2004, 09:15 PM
And South Africa takes it !!

not that the other countries even stood a fair chance...wat with political instability in hte Moslem world...don't think they did...even Morcocco (how do u spell that :think:)

hmmm not bad gunners 38 matches without losing......

Wonder if a SL will ever host it?.....probly not...being at the bottom of the world table :ahha:

Bluelotus
08-08-2004, 08:21 PM
:( :( :(

Patrick viera is gonna go over to Real Madrid leaving Arsenal :cry:

I hope his other compatriotes don't follow suite....he shall be sorely missed. :?

blue.

coolian
12-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Hahaha...just saw this post...I'm a crazy soccer fan :) so it's good to see fellow desis into the sport. I'm a hardcore Man Utd fan :d, may they shred the Gunners (as they already have) and rip the Reds apart!!! Chelsea...we're coming for you!!!!!!

PS: I played with Beckham (yes, David Beckham) once - in a 15 minute exhibition match - when Man Utd was touring S.E.Asia in 2001. They killed every team in the region though. An experience I'd never forget :ee:.

Bluelotus
12-02-2004, 10:16 PM
we can't be brilliant all the time :snooty: we need to take time to sort ourselves out and am sure will be back to our earlier form soon :pray: (like hopefully soon...otherwise I might send Wenger a hex :evil: )

blue.

PS: that is way cool dude ...kinda jealous......only an itsy bitsy bit.....I would be in seventh heaven if I could just kick a few balls with Zinedine :wink: ...fat chance of that happening :doh:

coolian
12-02-2004, 11:14 PM
நீல-தாமரை...Arsenal's going down...down...down...

Bluelotus
12-03-2004, 04:47 AM
well I don't know what you're on about கூலியன் :snooty: all great teams have off days (even off months :oops: hey some have off years too :ahha: )

they'll be back...and they just need to work on their game plan and thei confidence evel thats all :ee:

blue.

Bluelotus
05-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Liverpool beat AC Milan 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out to win the Champions League after sensationally coming from three goals down at half-time.

U kinda wonder what happened to Milan...
considering they probably were in possession of the ball more often than liverpool
shame the whole thing had to be decided on penalties.
anyway ... well done to Liverpool :b:

Funny thing is having coem 5th in the premiership...Liverpool will not be playing in the Champions League, well unless Uefa changes its rules :think:

vasan
05-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Liverpool beat AC Milan 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out to win the Champions League

Funny thing is having coem 5th in the premiership...Liverpool will not be playing in the Champions League

Soccer is one funny game. BBC says Liverpool just won the Champions League. Bleu BC says it will not be playing in the Champions League.. :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp:

Seriously.. don't you thing its bit tooo convoluted to follow.. :? :? :? :?

Me gets back to the truly entertaining BBall.. at least here we don't have 'cheating rules' like penalty... :ee: :ee: (If both the teams go to the penalty shoot, who really is at fault? :Ksp: :Ksp: )

:sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

me escapeeuuuuuu.. before the soccer fans.. (whats the special name they give.. some thing to do with vandalism..h.. something.. ) comes back at me.. :oops: :sm12: :sm12:

v- :P

ps: I am glad AC Milan got into trouble. I am writing a long email to an Italian dude (from Milan, naturally!) who keeps bugging me everytime India lost in Cricket.. :b: :b:

Bluelotus
05-26-2005, 05:51 AM
thatthaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :P
for next season...they don't know yet whether they can defend the title next season :ahha:

rsivaraman
05-26-2005, 06:28 AM
for next season...they don't know yet whether they can defend the title next season

why is that so??

-Siva

dinesh
05-26-2005, 07:36 AM
'Cos CL is sopmewhere only a nation's top teams from the league can participate. Liverpool were 5th this time. Only 4 go from England.

BTW....man what a match.....liverpool fans will be talking about this for the next hundred years :sm12:

goodcomplanboy
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
BTW....man what a match.....liverpool fans will be talking about this for the next hundred years

yea the fun part is they have'nt yet qualified for the next year's championship. But it was a great come back after the half-time by the Merseyside team. Kudos to the goalkeeper for saving two shoot-outs on the dying minutes of the extra time.