PDA

View Full Version : Is the Topics of Personal Nature Required?

sri_gan
03-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Everyone-

I have this question which runs by my mind, just thought to share and see a view out of the box.

Every one of you know Geetham as whole is a community. In a community bounded forums.

How many of you think, its not an issue to create a topic on personal needs and it has nothing to do with the community? State us the reason why?

How many of you think, it is an issue to create a topic on personal needs and it has nothing to do with the community? State us the reason why?

Some might feel this inside you when you see such topics, but didn't mind it, but I want to take a step forward and like to know what do you think and feel when we say Geetham a community.

This topic is of a dynamic nature though 'cause its everyone of you the one that decides to create a topic.

We are open for the comments. Lets make the thoughts recognized right here right now.

Any doubts why I started the topic, Read my signature quote which is Tamizh.

[glow=yellow:20bf9bfb03]GTeam[/glow:20bf9bfb03]

Bluelotus
03-29-2004, 03:37 AM
a community forum...shouldn't it cater for the individual as well as communal needs of the Geethamites?

I think that most topics which do begin as a individual query become by their sheer nature a community discussion/topic.

A community is many many individuals put together with somehting in common...therefore...if u do not cater for the individual this shan't be a community forum no longer.....don't u think?

and if u ban or restrict topics which are more individual in nature then u may in fact prohibit the growth of the community...alhtough ppl like to think themselves as individual and unique ...the truth remains tht the problems they face are not...so if one person wanna talk abt XYZ....it ay be tht another person also wants to know abt XYZ but was too shy to express it...

Does any of this make sense ?...or did I get the wrong end of the stick or the wrong stick altogether?

hmm abt:

Any doubts why I started the topic, Read my signature quote which is Tamizh.

Me clueless as always: "we shall create destiny/fate once more, once more" ??

anainar
03-29-2004, 03:50 AM
Sri,

I totally agree with Lotus on this. You got the right stick and the right end lotus. A community that does not address individual needs will die soon. It is even more true with online community. How do we know the community needs? Needs common to the whole community will be miniscule. So, it is ok to have personal needs also addressed in a community forum.

Only problem is we assume whoever comes here can think on his/her own. When a topic is posted he/she is going to be bombarded with varied views and it is upto them to segregate and make a choice if at all they are looking at community for ideas. That is the only problem I see as such. Otherwise, it is ok to have posts of personal needs.

Cheers

RaasuKutty
03-29-2004, 04:08 AM
I too agree with blues...

ppl just dont consider this forum as an entertainment forum... infact lot of members get active into the forums to kill the boredom, to clarify their thoughts and thinkings and to share their views... probably these kind of topics may be more generic and cater to the community as a whole...

But there are situations when a person gets little obsessive and might get into a situation when he feels that there is no one around to help him... ppl do get personal and the best help for this kind of cases are virtual friends.... As a big online community, the community can help him/her in ideas or in providing moral stability... This gives a comfort feeling to everyone that there r ppl around him to bail him out of trouble...

So I feel that there is nothing wrong in allowing topics of personal nature..

Luv,
...RK

vasan
03-29-2004, 04:56 AM
Unlike communities that are based on some 'special' interests (like for example, Linux users group or OpenSource), Geetham is a different community.

The way I see it is that Geetham is an online community of people - bound together because of some common interests - but the essence is not in 'interests' but in community. Isn't that the reason we call Geetham as an Online family? What sort of a family discusses only 'peripheral' things but not the needs of an individual person?

Ofcourse I do see Sri's point.. I can't 'bug' the whole of Geetham about every tiny little thing going on in my life - but being in a family, I would only be glad to talk about something major in my life. After all to whom am I sharing my life, but with my friends in Geetham?

Life is not just about 'views' and 'issues'. Its also about me, you and them. Geetham, being a family, should allow topics of personal nature. Sharing our joys and sorrows, triumphs and disasters build up friendships and communities. If I continue in Geetham - and I am addicted to it by now - its not because of 'topics' or movies alone. Most of it is because of the friends I have !!

I have not met any one in geetham in person. If I see you on the street, chances are that I would not pause in recognition. On the other hand, among the many friends whose views I cherish, friendships I enjoy, with whom I look forward to spending time, there are several in Geetham. All because we know them a little more - especially due to topics of personal nature.

I think there is nothing wrong in allowing topics of personal nature. I personally read ALL of them, and I sincerely believe its right at the core of what makes Geetham what it is: A home away from home!

Vasan

san2003
03-29-2004, 05:10 AM
i agree with blues and vasan :)
we create topics that might be personal but it actually signifies general issues... it may have affected some people and some may not be aware of it... thru geethamz.. everyone can voice their own opinion and probably the person affected can get answers and some who are not aware will learn somethin new :)
this is wat i have learnt and felt whilst my stay in geethamz :)

vennai1
03-29-2004, 05:29 AM
I think there is nothing wrong in allowing topics of personal nature.

I still expect moderation... :sm12:
or else everymorning I will be hearing an old man from the bay area crying that his
coffee pot is empty ! :sm12: :sm12:

vasan
03-29-2004, 05:36 AM
I agree with the vennai swamigal.. (Duh.. always looking at legal loopholes and fine print.. :ahha:)

True.. moderation is essential and important. Just that it should be moderation and not out right denial of service.. (che.. all these virus attacks.. make me talk like this.. )...

For the more innocent: Empty coffee pots can always be lamented at Random Thoughts which is the very purpose of that topic.. Or if you are a kid, you can spend time in chatting and goofing around in Kids Corner.. Please don't open new topics every time you want to do idle chatting.. :D :D :D Appadi seithaal vennai swamygal koba padalaam.. :D :D

sri_gan
03-29-2004, 07:36 AM
and if u ban or restrict topics which are more individual in nature then u may in fact prohibit the growth of the community...alhtough ppl like to think themselves as individual and unique ...the truth remains tht the problems they face are not...so if one person wanna talk abt XYZ....it ay be tht another person also wants to know abt XYZ but was too shy to express it...

When did I said anywhere I will ban, Don't worry BlueLotus! Relax.

sri_gan
03-29-2004, 07:47 AM
I totally agree with Lotus on this. You got the right stick and the right end lotus. A community that does not address individual needs will die soon. It is even more true with online community. How do we know the community needs? Needs common to the whole community will be miniscule. So, it is ok to have personal needs also addressed in a community forum.

When I see as a community there should be some respect from every person of the community to the community.

In here it is Geetham. If every single person thinks and works on taking the freedom of expressing though to abide their personal influences, I see that as a spit over a community.

Personally, I think, We never even notice, because of the nature we grown up with.

This is a just mirror reflection when a person sees the entire forum as whole and in some places which it requires some extra concentration.

If some one says something, it is not necessary that others must agree on it, well if they do then they must be able to stand the opposition also.

Well when a coin has two side, its a known fact about opinions.

If one can move topic a topic by pure feelings, the other can move it differently :D.

Seems to be Working, Share your views, First I thought of creating a poll, I had a clue later ;)... converted just as topic.

sri_gan
03-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Me clueless as always: "we shall create destiny/fate once more, once more" ??

No. It has nothing to do with Destiny / Fate :D. Its different.

If I thought of creating few Rules, Its no hard for me to Create topic in a place were few people can see, But I didn't do it, I just want to learn, how much people respect the community as they are the every part of it, so relax and share your views. :D

Atleast for the few you got reminded of something huh...:yes:

I welcome all sort of messages which justifies your Independent views ;).

Paakalam.

sagi
03-29-2004, 09:24 AM
i guess this is sri's reply to my PERSONAL topic "sagi-bye".

when i came everyone in geetham said " we are your family' so i thought its better to tell them when i leave. that's all. if its not a rite thing to do..then you people can always delete my topic. :)

sorry for any inconv

bye

sri_gan
03-29-2004, 01:52 PM
i guess this is sri's reply to my PERSONAL topic "sagi-bye".

when i came everyone in geetham said " we are your family' so i thought its better to tell them when i leave. that's all. if its not a rite thing to do..then you people can always delete my topic. :)

sorry for any inconv

bye

Sagi,

Its not necessarily you have to take it as a reply and think that its created for you only.

I'm just trying to find or acquire knowledge nu vachikongalen.

Personally, Enakku differenta theriyarathu mithavangalukku veramari irrukkum... when the majority leads either I have to convince myself to fit in or just move forward with what i can fit in. <--- Ithula naan theliva irruken.

Oru doubt vantha clear pannikka koodatha? :D.

Nenga sollura topic le sandaikana vellai jarura nadanthuchu... well opposite a pesurathu just a part to make different angles for the same kind of situation..

Inga ellarum oru side le than irrukanga... naan innoru side le irrunthu pakalaiya?

suha
03-29-2004, 02:28 PM
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

yennaku puriyalla :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp:

Bluelotus
03-29-2004, 04:47 PM
:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

yennaku puriyalla :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp: :Ksp:
You and me both Suha.....*just kidding* :D

I think what Sri is saying is that yes the individual maters but so does the community....and to preserve the right of other individuals one must adhere to a certain forum etiquette...or something along those lines.
Which I agree is a must for any successful forums...espceially one as big as Geetham.

:think: but What I don't get i how this is all connected to Sri's signature :think:

Blue.

sagi
03-29-2004, 11:27 PM
sri_gan banned ?? hehehe APILR 1 st coming? ;)

Shy
03-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Sri yaaraiyum ban pana mudiyaathu Sagi.. just some mistake.. will be rectified soon :D

Shy

unique
03-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Hmmm.....i was wondering abt the same thing :think: :think: ,sri banned from geetham....i don t think that s possible

gokulan42
03-30-2004, 03:05 AM
I thought Sri was the most powerful in geetham. Just curious... Is there somebody in geetham who can ban Sri???

Regarding the topic, I think the topic can be personal. If other individuals dont like it, dont open the topic. As simple as that. Or are we going to sugget them to go to some other forum for this purpose alone??

sagi
03-30-2004, 08:20 AM
well always bala anna has the rights to ban sri..ryte? :think:
anyway...
gokunna....:)

suha
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
:ush: :ush: :ush: :ush: :ush: sagi mom.........