PDA

View Full Version : YOU & YOUR FIRST SAREE

sagi
04-30-2004, 06:06 AM
HI GIRLS, SAREE IS A VERY IMPORTANT [ISSUE] IN OUR LIVES. AGREE OR NOT? IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU ARE..WHAT YOU ARE DOING......ONEDAY OR ONEDAY YOU HAVE TO WEAR IT [ I MEAN US....INDIAN CULTURE GIRLS]. AND I AM SURE WE HAD A GREAT TIME WITH OUR FIRST SAREE....LET'S SHARE OUR EXPERIENCES HERE....

let me start..

Sagi and her saree..

color - green and white
weight - anga thana problem e...too heavy..

to be honest before dad bought saree for me..i hv seen mum's sarees in dad's room...never touched them. i heard when i was young and cried for mum he used them as blankets..anyway let's come back to the topic.

it was my dad's friend's son's marriage. he is the only son so i became his dearest little sister. ok fine there we go it took me about 3 hrs to wrap that thing....[ naane net la instructions paarthu katti kitten]:ee:

finally i called daddy and said "DONE" and he asked me to come down to get into the car...and that's when i had problem...i cdt simply walk... :ee:

then he carried me to the car...then carried me to the wedding hall...called one aunty to solve this problem..

after she helped me also...annikku oru 5 thadavai mannai tottu vanakkam solla paarthenn :ee: thank god dad was there holding me..otherwise.....nera HOSPOTAL thaan :ee:

vasan
04-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Cute one Sagi... :D

Sorry I ain't got no experiences share though ... :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

Vasan

sagi
04-30-2004, 06:19 AM
hehehehe it's ok. we can tell you guys ..and you can give comments on em :)

pattu saree rombha ganam......:(

Bluelotus
04-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Oh that was such a long time ago :( now I'm an old woman

For guys, I do believe that their first Vettie experience will be of equal importance :think:

I must admit I hated my first Saree..........it was one of those very heavy silk ones...in purply-fushia, embroidered with gorgeous little golden flowers...but I just wasn't interested in it :?
I have to say that I was far more excited abt my first half-saree than my saree :ahha:
I was more involved in choosing this one...it was such an adventure....we went from shop to shop ...at that time it was really hard to find Half-sarees in England.....and in the end we bought this lovely simple silk saree to convert. I was so proud of it :D

Then I grew out of those :ahha: and really had to wear sarees...

I love watching my mother getting dressed ....the way she wraps the cloth around ...
The saree is one the most graceful dresses in the world.....
and the one you need most practice walking in :wink:

Now I am old...and well yeah I drape my own saree...but with a lot less grace than mother does :oops: u just can't escape from wearing it as u grow older and older ...and more wrinkles start to mar ur once flawless skin :ee:

sagi
04-30-2004, 01:11 PM
cool blue. that was nice. i am still finding my way to wear a saree properly..so far only a few times..may be 5-6 time wear panni irukken.....;) it too difficult to wear...toooooo difficult to walk with it..but i feel very nice when i wear saree...i feel very peace.. ;)

oh ok..let's hear abt vetti too ;)

seny
04-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Pasangalluku intha vishayathulla pirachanaiyae illai... No problems with Vaeshti.... but ennaku therincha varaikkum, for guys first vaeshti endra attachment ellam kidaiyathu saree/half-saree mathiri..

Seny

yogesh220
04-30-2004, 04:47 PM
hehehehe....I had to share my first saree experience here...It was in my fifth satndard and it was in my school fancy dress competition....My face was(is) so cute(FACT) that my teachers had told me to get dressed up like a girl...(Not exactly, a woman)...so here I go and my mother was there to help me out of the mess and I had my first saree on...(The saree was foldd in its middle along its length to suit my height...) I really loved that incident and will live those good old days whenever I happen to see that saree...

The funniest part was at the end of the function, I got the first prize for that make up and when I wlaked on the stage to get that prize, I fell right near the chief guest and then I just pretended to fall onto his feets to get his blessings...It brings smile into my, my mother's, my sister's and my father's lips even today....:lol:

Note:

I have to say that I was far more excited abt my first half-saree than my saree

I also like half saree girls more than tha full saree ones....and the sepcialty of half saree is that only "girls in the best age" can wear them...Anandamla sneha kattiyiruppaalee half saree.....superb....:D

Honeyarjun
05-01-2004, 12:09 AM
I always had a tough luck with saree... even now I dont know how to tie a saree properly with such grace my sisters do.. I would be the last one to get ready for all the functions as I need to beg some of my elder sisters(cousins) to help with the saree..

I just couldnt forget this one incident.. As usual oneday for a function I was going after one of my cousin sis to help me with a saree...she was in such a hurry to get ready for herself.. so she was tying it for me with such a rush..Like always I stood there like a doll letting her do all the work...finally after draping the saree...I started walking..I couldnt even move my legs..and was walking funnily.. My sis got so angry and started yelling at me.. 'Now..you dont act like as if you dont know how to walk wearing a saree..this is not the first time you are wearing a saree...'. I said..' I really couldnt walk..'. Then we found out that she had wraped the saree twice instead of once in the beginning..... Then she forgot all her anger (for me hindering her to get ready)...and was laughing ..she teases me even now with this story......

I think I can drape a saree now on my own. but not sure..never tried ..dont want to take the risk and scare people!!!)

anainar
05-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Wow! Funny to read all these experiences. Is wearing a saree so difficult? My sisters wear it like wearing a jean in less than 2 minutes. Gracefully too. But they all graduated to saree from half saree. So probably they were experienced by then. வீட்டுக்கா ரி கதை வேற. சொன்னா அடி உதை தான். :ee: :ee:

Cheers

suha
05-01-2004, 01:51 AM
yennakum saree udutha asai thaan. :sm05: .........but try pandhu illa :Ksp: ...........bha bhi vitla thaan irruka :think: ...........idhu ippovei try pannitu vandhu solrein :wink: ...........

dho vanteinnnnnnnnnnnn ta taaaa :sm11:

suha
05-01-2004, 02:24 AM
ok vantein ...........seri yenoda saree yeppadi irruku solungoo :wink:

http://www.geetham.net/photoshow/albums/userpics/17088/normal_saree02.jpg

anitam
05-01-2004, 02:39 AM
mmmmm first saree.. college -la padikum pothu vanginathu...Green color..one.

first saree experience.. 12th farewell party... payanthu payanthu kattitu oru nal poora kashta pattathu... bad experience..
eppa nenachalum sirippa varuthu.. :P

sagi
05-01-2004, 03:47 AM
yo yo you are very unique man :yes: aama annikku keela vilum pothu adi padaliya? :ee:

honey - hehehehehehehehehe i had a very similar exp..but that was not my first experience...i always have a story whenever i wear a saree ;)

Anainar - please tell me about your wife's experience...bcos ninga adi vangi rombha nalachame ;)

suha - so did you try or not?

Anitam - JOIN THE CLUB :yes:

madhu_aish1
05-01-2004, 05:25 AM
ooopsss.. peeped into the wrong topic :00: :00: is draping a saree so difficult .. i have never seen my sis or mom finding difficulty in wearing a saree.. the change sarees in seconds .. much faster than me [weird] :ee: :ee: I have helped my sis only to pin up the saree ... :D :D and have got thrashed creating minor injuries ..

As a personal perference i like people with half saree,. :wink: :wink: they look young, energetic and fresh :sm06: :sm06:

sagi
05-01-2004, 05:33 AM
have got thrashed creating minor injuries ..
and you forgot to mention about she came after you with an poorikattai :ee:

suha
05-01-2004, 03:24 PM
suha - so did you try or not?

adhu yein kekurinngo :doh: naan try panallam poninenna appo paathu...............room lock agiduchu.........keyum kannom......bha bhi saree laam cupboard la mattikichu yenna saiyei :Ksp: adhu thaan try panna mudilla :ee:

Priyam2004
05-02-2004, 12:30 AM
I have had both experiences (Saree + Vaeshti) :P :P :P :P

Sarees, I love wearing Sarees & pavadai/thavani ->

My 1st experience of wearing (well trying to wear) a saree was at my coming to age function (sadangu):

It was great fun, I couldn't stop laughing when my amma, aunty & aaya (grand-mother) were all trying to wrap a red coloured pattu saree around my hip then draping that over my shoulder (naa koncham chutty ~ so venumunae...I didn't keep still ;)). I can still remember that day clearly, my amma + aunty were both sweating after dressing me up - it was really funny! :lol: :lol:

After that they then told me to go downstairs to greet & gain blessings from everyone...I was like 'Ok...sure...no problem' and moved towards the door...but that's as far as I got :). I turned round to find that my amma and aunty were standing there laughing...I said to them 'Come on, this isn't funny pleeeease show me how you walk wearing this! :( '. Then I went down...and all my cousins (as all cousins would do) teased me...then I went all red and shy...!!!!! :oops:

That was my first experience...then after that whenever we go to kovil's/functions and all...I started wearing half-sarees (to be honest I love half-sarees ~ pavadai/thavani...better than sarees....whenever the chances arise I try to wear half-sarees first, if the chances are not there then I wear a saree!)

Vaeshti experience :D ->

Well just like Yogesh, I too went to a fancy dress function.....dressed as Lord Krishna :ee:
I was 3 years old at the time...my amma dressed me up...she used a green pattu half vaeshti for the bottom part. She did the hair do and I looked the part, she was even thinking of painting me blue, but my appa opposed the idea, that didn't matter though cos' I walked away with the 1st prize :ahha:

yogesh220
05-02-2004, 03:10 AM
I love half-sarees ~ pavadai/thavani...better than sarees....whenever the chances arise I try to wear half-sarees first, if the chances are not there then I wear a saree

me too priyam...but instead of the word wear just change it to look....

suha
05-02-2004, 03:32 AM
oi yogi adhu yenna mee too..............nee yenna girl la boya :? yenna ku sandegam vandhu duchu :think:

sagi
05-02-2004, 04:44 AM
haiyoooooooooooooo SUHA . yoyo kita maatikkathinga..read his last post..he said instead of "Wear".......

priyam you were smart enough to atleast walk down floor...me? :ee:

dinesh
05-02-2004, 05:09 AM
YOU & YOUR FIRST SAREE

No such thing, I'm afraid (should I be happy because of this, or should I be worrying :think:)....anyway, good to see so many nice experiences with sarees.....

I haven't seen much half-sarees, except the films, so not much preferences there. But, some sarees are beautiful, especially the cotton ones (is there a special name for them) and the dark ones, and the ones worn by beautiful people :ahha:

வீட்டுக்கா ரி கதை வேற. சொன்னா அடி உதை தான்.

தமிழில் எழுதும் feature இருப்பது பல பேருக்கு பல விதத்தில் பயன்படுகிற து :sm12:

Anyway...... சேலை கட்டும் பெண்ணுக்கொ ரு வாசமுண்டு... ..கண்டதுண்ட .....கண்டவர் ள் சொன்னதுண்ட ா? :think:

sagi
05-02-2004, 05:11 AM
[quote]and the ones worn by beautiful people[/quote
i think we got dinesh anna's point here :ee:

oh yeah :think: ithila oru patti mandram start pannalam pola irukke?

mahaling
05-02-2004, 06:31 AM
ok naan saree innum kaatve ille. enakku modalla katta theriyadhu.

but i've got two opinions about how my saree should be.
1. வெண்பட்டுல அரக்கு border போட்டு வேணும் எனக்கு.
2.அது இல்லேன்னா மடிசார்தான ். எனக்கு பிடித்தமான saree style adhu.

sagi
05-02-2004, 06:43 AM
oh ninga aiyaaraththu ponna mahaling? :)
i don't like the heavy ones..
lite a irukirathu thaan rombha easy..and feel nice

anainar
05-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Dinesh,

For sure சேலை கட்டும் பெண்ணுக்கு வாசம் உண்டு. It does make a woman look more complete atleast in my eyes. There has been lot of complaing in the Westerners that it does make the midriff visible, but a saree worn properly can cover that also gracefully.

Halfsaree is a wonderful piece of dress. My home town used to be a place where schools insisted on half saree from 9th standard onwards. But now all schools have changed that policy to chudithaars. So every girl wears chudithaar now and half saree became literally non existant.

Sagi, you did seem to have openend the memory banks of every one. Thanks for making us going back in time.

Cheers

Priyam2004
05-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Yogesh wrote:
Quote:
Priyam wrote:
I love half-sarees ~ pavadai/thavani...better than sarees....whenever the chances arise I try to wear half-sarees first, if the chances are not there then I wear a saree

YOGESH ->
me too priyam...but instead of the word wear just change it to look....

Aiyoooo.......onnumae puriya'illai...enna Yogesh solla varinga....koncham puriyum padi sollunga.....please........ :pray:

Wear panna....wear pannom nu thane solla mudiyum...athe 'look' nu solla solluringa, eppadi??? :doh:

:sm18: :sm18: :sm18: :sm18::sm18: :sm18::sm18: :sm18::sm18: :sm18:

Bluelotus
05-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Dinesh,

For sure சேலை கட்டும் பெண்ணுக்கு வாசம் உண்டு. It does make a woman look more complete atleast in my eyes. There has been lot of complaing in the Westerners that it does make the midriff visible, but a saree worn properly can cover that also gracefully.

Halfsaree is a wonderful piece of dress. My home town used to be a place where schools insisted on half saree from 9th standard onwards. But now all schools have changed that policy to chudithaars. So every girl wears chudithaar now and half saree became literally non existant.

Sagi, you did seem to have openend the memory banks of every one. Thanks for making us going back in time.

Cheers

I don't get the bolded Tamil bit :? Why do they have a different fragrance? They just look slightly more graceful...
Drapes or long pieces of cloth draped around a woman ...does make her look more elegant than a basic dress
Many cultures used to have this ...the Ancient Greeks, the Romans ...

Yeah a saree properly worn ...won't show anything...it's amazing how much 5.5metres can cover :wink:
But even more amazing are the different styles in which you can wear that simple rectangular piece of cloth.

But I don't see why a woman should be more complete in your eyes Anainar if she wears a saree...as opposed to jeans and tshirt? :think: still the same person right? :?

Wear panna....wear pannom nu thane solla mudiyum...athe 'look' nu solla solluringa, eppadi???

Priyam,
Yogesh sight adhikirethai pattri elludi irkaar :Ksp:

No such thing, I'm afraid (should I be happy because of this, or should I be worrying :think: )

Dinesh,
aassai irundha ungallukku special post onnu Shy-te kekellaaam Seelai eppdi udutthuraduu endru...so you can have a go :ee: ...we don't want you to feel left out :wink:

To see Half-saree wearing-sirumees...just drop by your closest Tamil Hindu Temple...athuuu thaan ippo oru uril fashion :ahha: (chumma thaan sonnein :ee: )
The cotton ones are called sarees...and the silk ones saree too :wink:
Cotton Kachipuram, crepe, georgette, chiffon, silk tissue, kanchipuram, mysore silk, and the list goes on....
:Ksp:

Priyam2004
05-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Anainar wrote:
For sure சேலை கட்டும் பெண்ணுக்கு வாசம் உண்டு

Blues akka wrote:
I don't get the bolded Tamil bit Why do they have a different fragrance? They just look slightly more graceful...

Athane Anainar, Blues akka sonna mathuri...athu enna saree oduthurae pengalakku thani vasam undu??? :think: Appo na...jeans podarae pengal naruvangalaa??? :cry:

unique
05-02-2004, 07:34 PM
My First experience in wearing a saree was during my 10th farewell party......Well i did nt have much difficulty in tying saree,cos naanave kattikalai friends kattivittaanga naan jamunu ninundu irundhen.....I did nt know how to carry myself with a saree appo......My juniors were conducting a fashion show they called out my name n asked me to come to the stage to join in fashion show......i tried to escape but ennai kozhi amukara maadhiri amukitaanga...they took me to the stage and asked me to walk around......Naanum bandha indha movies la vara maadhiri oru pakkam spalluvai thookitu stage la oru corner lendhu innoru corner nadandhu pogarthukku badhila odi poyiten :lol: :lol: ....Ellarum bayangarama sirichaanga.......

2nd time was during my 12th farewell....appavum naan kattikalai friends thaan kattivittanga....even during my college farewell naan jamunu nikkardhoda saree,friends thaan appavum kattivittaanga :wink: ......Hmmm....adhellam ninaichu paakum podhu sirippu thaan varudhu

Shy
05-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Anainar wrote:

Blues akka wrote:
I don't get the bolded Tamil bit Why do they have a different fragrance? They just look slightly more graceful...

Athane Anainar, Blues akka sonna mathuri...athu enna saree oduthurae pengalakku thani vasam undu??? :think: Appo na...jeans podarae pengal naruvangalaa??? :cry:

Priyam !!!

:sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

I cant stop laughing seeing ur post !!!

Kalakureenga poonga

Shy

unique
05-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Anainar wrote:

Blues akka wrote:

Nammaku munnadi generation ellam they use kasthuri manjal,arappu podi idhu maadhiri innum niraya varities of herbal products use pannuvaanga.....adhunaala gamagamanu irukkum....adhai thaan mean panni Selai kattum pennukoru vaasam undudu nu paadi irukaanga :wink: ........jean podara pengalukku different different vaasam undu,cos they use different kinda perfumes.... :wink: :wink:

anainar
05-02-2004, 08:23 PM
அடடடடடா!! ஒரு வார்த்தைக் கு இத்தனை சண்டையா?? கலி காலம்டா சாமி. வாயை தொறந்து ஒரு வார்த்தை சொல்ல முடியலை...

Nothing beats the natural beauty or scents. For one I dont like modern day perfumes. None of them could come near the scents what Unique wrote about. The oil bath, seekakai powder, followed by drying routine, then some saambirani on the hair, a bunch of malligai poo, with a arakku color silk saree.... Hmmm.. Tell me what comes near that? Calvin Klein or Lauder dont even come near that.

For sure the whole process takes time, but that is what life is about. I have to appreciate Kerala as a large percentage of Kerala women still maintain this ritual. People living in metros might have given away this for want of time. But that is a lame excuse. Time spent on personal grooming is always well sent.

Cheers

unique
05-02-2004, 08:32 PM
The oil bath, seekakai powder, followed by drying routine, then some saambirani on the hair, a bunch of malligai poo, with a arakku color silk saree

Anainar

Idhai padikkum podu ennaku Super star n radhika nadicha padam thaan nyabagam varudhu...like Superstar oda friend ketpaanga endha maadhiri ponnu onnaku pidikumnu ,appo rajini will give the above description u mentioned n he ll also say kalangarthala ennaku ennai vechu kulipaati vittu,malligai po maadhiri idli panni ennaku ooti vidanamnu.....radhika will over hear everything and next day morning abt 2a.m ezhundu rajini sonna maadhiri dress pannindu,she apply oil over his head kulika vechu,then oru ANDA (BIG DRUM)niraya idli vaathu vechu saapidu saapidu solluva....avalai paarthu rajini bayandhu poyiduvaar....... :lol: :lol: .....

The above was just for fun.....it is true herbal products nigar edhuvum illai thaan eventhough i like perfumes........

dinesh
05-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Dinesh,
aassai irundha ungallukku special post onnu Shy-te kekellaaam Seelai eppdi udutthuraduu endru...so you can have a go ...we don't want you to feel left out

Actually, I know how......don't ask me how I learnt it... :sm12: (though to be fair, I might have forgotten it now....lack of practice for a long time....)

To see Half-saree wearing-sirumees...just drop by your closest Tamil Hindu Temple...athuuu thaan ippo oru uril fashion (chumma thaan sonnein )

Well, I used to drop into one quite regularly, but never saw one there. Half-sarees are not very common in Sri Lanka. I've only seen it once or twice in literary functions, but then again it might be because I used to live in a highly urban area....I might have seen more in the countryside......

Athane Anainar, Blues akka sonna mathuri...athu enna saree oduthurae pengalakku thani vasam undu??? Appo na...jeans podarae pengal naruvangalaa???

It's a song Priya akka......Basically I think it is written that way to stress sarees make women different or special...or whatever...

Priyam2004
05-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Anainar wrote:
The oil bath, seekakai powder, followed by drying routine, then some saambirani on the hair, a bunch of malligai poo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Naa onnu nenechu parthen Anainar...ennaku siripu thanga'illai :lol: :lol: :lol: Neenga sollurae mathuri...oil bath, seekakai powder, saambirani, malligai poo...ethu ellam pannittu/vachukittu...jeans pottu veliye ponnaa...eppadi irrukum??? :think: Nalla irrukathu? :lol: :lol: :lol: (Just kidding), I agree with you though, herbal products are much better & healthy also! ;)

mahaling
05-02-2004, 10:08 PM
oh ninga aiyaaraththu ponna mahaling? :)
i don't like the heavy ones..
lite a irukirathu thaan rombha easy..and feel nice

oh sagi enn taste nala en identity therinju pochha.

naa 9 kajam katradhu romba easy and comfortable. kashtam ille.

neenga once try panni paarunga.

sagi
05-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Sagi, you did seem to have openend the memory banks of every one. Thanks for making us going back in time
adiyen paakiyan ;) anai anna ;)

mahaling - enna ippadi kettuttel ;) i also know how to wear a madisar saree. remember i learn tamil from a brahmin lady........so ofcs i know your traditions ;)

mahaling
05-04-2004, 02:04 AM
saree ellam vaysanavanga kattanum. but ippo vayasaanavanga modern dress pottu ponnungala insult panraanga so ippo chinna ponnunga ellam saree kku shift panraanga.

sagi
05-04-2004, 02:09 AM
agree...ellaththukkum oru limit irukkanumla ;)

mahaling
05-04-2004, 02:11 AM
aama sagi kids corner enge irukku.?

sagi
05-04-2004, 02:21 AM
click this link.....it will take you there..
http://www.geetham.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=90599#90599

ragi_kutty
05-04-2004, 09:25 AM
amma ennai saree katta vidurathilla so naan adhigamma saree katturathilla.......bt ippo entha thangachikku ceremony varappooguthu, so naan 1st time entha kaiyaala kattanum nu oru aasai.......summa try panninen.....and appuram thaan enakku purinchadu evvalavu kastam nu.......appaadaa.......naan padda paadu....bt after 3 or 4 hrs...eppaduyo kattitten.....eppadi irukka poguthoo, naan ceremony ku kattanum na......

sagi
05-04-2004, 11:46 AM
hehehe don't take risk on that day. you will end up wasting time. ask someone else to help you di. try another day. :) good luck. take care di , esp when you walk up and down :)

ANGEL.J
05-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Hey Sagi ~~~ :)
Cool Topic. I have sareez but never had a chance to wear it :(
I like your NAME , sweet name

Bluelotus
05-14-2004, 08:44 AM
Angel dear ...gonna assume ur a girl...cos u have sarees

:think: although with the high number of men who know how to drape sarees I am not sooo sure :00:

If u wanna wear a saree just wear it to work or school one day and pretend that's it's some funky ethnic festival...they will never know :ee:

ragi_kutty
05-14-2004, 08:48 AM
http://ashram.ru/india/recomend/saree.gif

Bluelotus
05-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Thank you Ragi for the instructions on how to drape the NEVI saree.
:D

ANGEL.J
05-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Hey Bluelotus dear ~~~~ YES FINALLY YOU GOT IT...Ofcourse i am a girl :sm10: ahrrrr so nowdays even guys have nick as ANGEL :Ksp: Too BAD :sm18:

Saree :dance: I don't mind :P BUT my buddies will :sm06: + :sm12: coz I can't walk with it. :oops:

Shri
05-17-2004, 11:23 AM
ehheee.....
cannot help laughing when i think of my first saree experience.

It was for my tenth farewell...i took full two hrs draping it.....my friends came in and were waiting for an hr outside my room till i finished wearing it....I didnt let anyone help me...coz i was confindent(over confident actually) that i can wear it easily. You can imagine how irritated my friends must have been waiting sooo long.

Well...i finished wearing and came out ...thinking to myself( well done... perfectly done) only to see my parents and friends lauging as hell. Only when i saw my friends in sarees did i realise that i had worn it in the opposite direction!!!! instead of the pallu in the left i had it in the right....:oops:

It was soo late for tha party that i had to go wearing it that way itself....it was sooo embarassing. And walking in it that way was a nightmare come true!!

But everyone had a nice laugh.....everything is not lost after all.... :ahha: :ahha: :ahha: :ahha:

dinesh
05-17-2004, 11:33 AM
ahrrrr so nowdays even guys have nick as ANGEL Too BAD

Actually, if you are in the UK you would know about one J. Angel who plays as the centre-forward for the premier league club Aston Villa. :sm12:
I was thinking of asking you whether you were related :sm12
But him being Colombian and having first names Juan Pablo doesn't sound much helpful ;)

On a diff note, our dear old Kiran is going to demonstrate how to wear a madisar saree in the about to be released film "New" it seems. So, that's something everyone will be looking forward to.....I guess :ahha:
Actually there were some stills in vikatan, if I can trace them I'll post them.........though there will be several poorikattai attacks to be expected.... :(

Bluelotus
05-17-2004, 03:46 PM
This is getting soooo weird
first I find out that guys wear sarees muche arlier than girls.
More guys have writen in this topic abt their experiences than girls :think:
they all seem to know how to drape one...now one of them is even offering to put up instructions for us :00:
This is sooo bizarre :00:

right that's it...me gonna go and try dad's vetti and sarong :ahha:

bet I can knot a tie better than the average male here :ee:

dinesh
05-17-2004, 11:38 PM
here is the pic, as promised
http://www.geetham.net/photoshow/logo.php?picturename=albums/userpics/11378/p21.jpg

actually, there is another pic showing earlier steps than this, aana athu post panna enakku adi vizum :(

ANGEL.J
05-18-2004, 12:03 AM
This is மடிசார்??? :Ksp: Looks a bit :sm06: Isn't it?

shidinesh ~~~~ சமூக சேவையா?? நடக்கட்டும ் நடக்கட்டும ் ?? :wink:

suha
05-18-2004, 03:04 PM
:00: :00: shidi anna idhu enna kutthu........... :nono:

akka inga vangalei :sm04: indha shidi anna va paarungo............saree eppadi uduthanum solli kodukurango :sm12:

Shy
05-18-2004, 06:54 PM
:sm15: :evil: :sm15: :evil: :sm15: :evil: :sm15: :evil:

Dinesh, u too !!!! that too kiran !!!

Butterfly engae vantu paarunga.. dinesh enna panraarunu.. varacha poorikattai big one and 2-3 poosinikaai yaeduthutu vaanga... Unique neengalum thaan.. ellarum saenthu oru vali panalaam evarai !!!

Shy

suha
05-19-2004, 12:25 AM
acho shidi anna sorry ......matti vittutein.........ungha madai nalla venghi pochu :Ksp: :lol:

shy akka ithanna per koturangalai.......adhu yaar yaar soluvingala..... :?

BTW shidi anna...........where is shi kaana pocha :?

ANGEL.J
05-19-2004, 02:18 AM
Shy ~~~~ Good use of perfect smilies :yes:

Hey all I remember reading a news about this "new" movie. That actor+director guy SURYA was saying "கிரண இதில பொண்ணுன்கள ே பார்த்தி ஆசை படுற போல காட்டி இருக்கேன்". :Ksp:

அட ராமா? இது என்ன கூத்து ? :00: பிராம்மணா கண்டா பாவம் :sm18:

suha
05-19-2004, 02:37 AM
angella akka super ra smileys poduvango ............ningo pathadi illiyo :think: .......acho cho........... :Ksp:

ok sample kamikatumma \

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ........ :wink: :wink: ........ :sm15: :sm15:...idhulaam akkavoda favorite smileys.... but mostly this :evil: :evil: :evil:

:sm12: :sm12: akka chumma kidding :ee:

ANGEL.J
05-19-2004, 02:43 AM
:sm15: ITS FUNNNYYYYYYYYYYY

Coming back to the topic, Some people don't wear பட்டுபுடவை :doh: anyone here? :think:

suha
05-19-2004, 02:48 AM
pattu puddavai naa.........silk saree ya.......... :think:

Shy
05-19-2004, 02:57 AM
marriage and occasion pattu pudavai thaanae katanum !!!

Shy

ANGEL.J
05-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Agree but some don't wear since it comes from பட்டுப்பூச ்சி :think: Is it true?

dinesh
05-19-2004, 09:11 AM
See.....my intentions were pure when I posted the pic. If you took it the wrong way that's not my problem. Kiran akka was just explaining how to wear the thing and I thought it'd be educational ( :ahha: ).

Anyway......Suha papa ellam unnala thaan...... :cry:

Coming back to the topic, Some people don't wear பட்டுபுடவை anyone here?

I have another pic for that :sm12:

ANGEL.J
05-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Really? please post it. I am curious about this பட்டு பூச்சி

dinesh
05-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Really? please post it. I am curious about this பட்டு பூச்சி

No no, I said I had a pic of someone explaining how to wear a பட்டுப்புட வை. Already my head is twice the size because of the previous pic. மறுபடியும் என்னால அடி வாங்க முடியாதும் மா. :(

But on the topic, I've never seen a woman who's reluctant to buy/wear silk sarees. Even if they have a cupboard-full of silk sarees they just want more. And the bigger the border the better. (And if continue with my pearls of wisdom, I'll sure be attacked in a guerilla style attack tonight :sm12: )

ANGEL.J
05-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Alright I understand. Dankz Mate :yes:

yogesh220
05-21-2004, 10:40 PM
http://www.kerala.com/fashion/hwsari.htm

ennai yaarum thittaatheengoo, pudavai katta theriyaatha namba geetham friendsukkaka potteen... dinesh mathiri ennaiyum adikka varaadheengooo...

appuram ithukkappuramum kashtapaduravungoo, "Automatic Saree" kattikoongo...

http://www.indiangarment.com/myshop/sareeinfo/autosaree.php3

Angel, http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/southasiacenter/saree/Sari.htm

this site explains and has pictures too about how to wear a silk saree...

Moderator, you are most welcome to remove this post, if you feel inappropriate.

king_143
05-22-2004, 04:59 AM
i dont know much about saree wearing,But I had touch the ground when I wore my first vetti, But I had a big excuse as I was from HYD But still it was quite embrassing infront my relatives and others.

But now I have learnt it quite easy it only needs little dedication to learn. As far as Saree is concerend I like cotton saree than silk sarees , and my mother said you will have a tough time with your wife.

If you sisters and brothers can tell me why it would be great?

ANGEL.J
05-23-2004, 06:26 AM
hey yogesh220 ~~~~ Danks for your help. Man i am running going crazy with this saree :)

king_143n ~~~~ May be your mum was mentioning about the material. Girls, young ones always go for silk ones. Cottons....mmmm :think: for old ladies [mostly]

yogesh220
05-23-2004, 03:00 PM
hey yogesh220 ~~~~ Danks for your help. Man i am running going crazy with this saree :)

king_143n ~~~~ May be your mum was mentioning about the material. Girls, young ones always go for silk ones. Cottons....mmmm :think: for old ladies [mostly]

u r most welcome angel... Btw, enga oorula angel ellaaarum white gown thaan pottuttu iruppaanga... ennaa avanga ellaam meela parappaangalla, appo saree kattunaa kashtammm ..Btw, saree kattittu cycle kooda ootta mudiyaathu.. :wink::wink:

Priyam2004
05-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Yogesh wrote:
saree kattittu cycle kooda ootta mudiyaathu..

Yaaru sonnaa??? Sarees'ae kattikittu jam jammunu ottuvanga.....ada neenga vera...neenga parthethu evlo than pola :D :D

yogesh220
05-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Yogesh wrote:
saree kattittu cycle kooda ootta mudiyaathu..

Yaaru sonnaa??? Sarees'ae kattikittu jam jammunu ottuvanga.....ada neenga vera...neenga parthethu evlo than pola :D :D

oops,aama aama athukkunnee ladies cycle irukkulla..? marandhe poitteen... :D:D:D:D

ANGEL.J
05-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Yogesh220 ~~~~ For a change I am going to wear saree....got sick of the white gown :)

teju
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
yeah i agree fully with priyam!! :cool: coz podava kattinaalum gals aala supera work panna mudiyum!! u know its a different issue whether we walk ao crawl wearing a saree :wink: .
u my expereince was a nice one! :P i wore saree in my mama piyan's wedding and i was really
getting concious coz i wore a pattu saree of olive green.....though everyone admired!! :ahha:
naa thatthhi tadumaaditen..:oops: but it was really fun u know first time saree experience.
and i say ponna porandha saree katanum at least on ocassions :b:
so gals try once its graceful!!!
hey guys wat do u say ??? :ahha:

Priyanka
12-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Have anybody tried madisaar saree! Appappa! It is the most toughest dress in the world. Athai kattikkarathu bayangkara complicated procedure. Still I don't know to tie 9 yards saree.

On the whole, saree is the most uncomfirtable dress in the world! :evil: Evan thaan kandu pidicchaano! :sm15:

jaggy4u
12-22-2004, 07:29 AM
you and your first date nnu pottirunthaa padil solliruppen, ithukku enna solratthu..hmm nadathungha

jaffna
12-22-2004, 11:13 AM
சாறி எமது பண்பாட்டு உடை.மணப்பெ ்களுக்கு முக்கியமான து கூறை.இது மருன் கலரில் தன் அதிகம் விரும்பப்ப டுகிறது.பெ ்களுக்கு மிகவும் அழகாக இருக்கிறது .

http://www.swayamwara.com/articles/saree-1.jpg

Shy
12-22-2004, 04:11 PM
On the whole, saree is the most uncomfirtable dress in the world! :evil: Evan thaan kandu pidicchaano! :sm15:

Acho yaen appadi solreenga !!! no way, when wore properly its the best one. Its so beautiful and cute, antha type of dress pathi eppadi soliteengalae PK !!!

Shy

dinesh
12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Have anybody tried madisaar saree! Appappa! It is the most toughest dress in the world. Athai kattikkarathu bayangkara complicated procedure
If you go to the previous page in this topic, you can see a pic of Kiran akka calmly explaining the procedures involved. :sm12:

vasan
12-22-2004, 09:39 PM
On the whole, saree is the most uncomfirtable dress in the world! Evan thaan kandu pidicchaano!

My mom says completely opposite.. for her, its the most comfortable dress in the world... and she has been wearing sarees ever since her late teens...

v-

silican
12-23-2004, 12:35 AM
On the whole, saree is the most uncomfirtable dress in the world! Evan thaan kandu pidicchaano!

Enna PK ippdi solliteenga :00: புடவை எந்த அளவுக்கு ஒரு பொண்ணுக்கு அழகா இருக்கோ அந்த அளவுக்கு கம்பீரத்தை யும், நளினத்தையு ம் கொடுக்கும் . நல்ல விஷயம் எல்லாம் கொஞ்சம் கஷ்டமா தான் இருக்கும். ஆனா End Result எப்போவுமே ரகளையா இருக்கும். ;)

sari sari, enough of Drooling. naan iththoda niruthikren :ush: .

- Silican

Priyanka
12-23-2004, 05:01 AM
Have anybody tried madisaar saree! Appappa! It is the most toughest dress in the world. Athai kattikkarathu bayangkara complicated procedure
If you go to the previous page in this topic, you can see a pic of Kiran akka calmly explaining the procedures involved. :sm12:

Dinesh. Neenga indha maadiri ellaam padam podrathu romba thappu. Yempa ellaarum brahmins-aiye kuri vacchu thakkareenga. Ithuve oru christianaiyo oru muslimaiyo kindal panna mudiyumaa ongalaala? Adi pinniduvaanga. Naanga onnum solla maattom-ngara dhairiyatthula thaane ippadi engalai kindal pandreenga. Brahmins-a partha enna avvalavu nakkal ungalukku.

On the whole I hate sarees! :evil:

Bluelotus
12-28-2004, 12:00 AM
hmm PKmummy ...what can I say you are one funky-Momma!! :yes:

veetla me and my sister, mummy kuda sanda poduvoam to allows us to wear sarees to the temple she always refuses unless saying that it would make her look too old :sm12:
too many Funky mummies in this world :wink:

Naanga onnum solla maattom-ngara dhairiyatthula thaane ippadi engalai kindal pandreenga. Brahmins-a partha enna avvalavu nakkal ungalukku.
not really .... :think:

blue.

dinesh
12-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Dinesh. Neenga indha maadiri ellaam padam podrathu romba thappu.
Picture from anandhavikatan. Please write to them with your objection. I believe more people would have seen it via vikatan than from this site. Also write your objection to SJ Suryah and Kiran for their part in producing the scene.

Yempa ellaarum brahmins-aiye kuri vacchu thakkareenga. Ithuve oru christianaiyo oru muslimaiyo kindal panna mudiyumaa ongalaala? Adi pinniduvaanga. Naanga onnum solla maattom-ngara dhairiyatthula thaane ippadi engalai kindal pandreenga. Brahmins-a partha enna avvalavu nakkal ungalukku.
That is a very harsh comment. People who have been here for some time would know that I am a very fair person and I do not differentiate between people on a race, social or gender basis. I fail to see where I was attacking brahmins. If there was something that needs to be attacked I will attack it, at the same time I will not attack someone's views just because he or she is a brahmin.

Shy
12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Dinesh. Neenga indha maadiri ellaam padam podrathu romba thappu.
Picture from anandhavikatan. Please write to them with your objection. I believe more people would have seen it via vikatan than from this site. Also write your objection to SJ Suryah and Kiran for their part in producing the scene.

Yempa ellaarum brahmins-aiye kuri vacchu thakkareenga. Ithuve oru christianaiyo oru muslimaiyo kindal panna mudiyumaa ongalaala? Adi pinniduvaanga. Naanga onnum solla maattom-ngara dhairiyatthula thaane ippadi engalai kindal pandreenga. Brahmins-a partha enna avvalavu nakkal ungalukku.
That is a very harsh comment. People who have been here for some time would know that I am a very fair person and I do not differentiate between people on a race, social or gender basis. I fail to see where I was attacking brahmins. If there was something that needs to be attacked I will attack it, at the same time I will not attack someone's views just because he or she is a brahmin.

Eppo thaan parthaen.. Im sorry to say this, but I dont agree to this accusations PK. I am actually sad you took it this way. I dont think this has anything to do with caste. That too dinesh never does that. Ippo sardhar jokes evaloo varuthu, appo athukunu since they are not opening up, we are attacking themnu arthama.. ellaiyae.. Its just misinterpretation. Entha padathula madisaar potu iruka, so eppadi think panreenga, what if shes wearing a kerala dress, appo entire keralitesa tamilpeople are attackingnu arthama, comeon !!!

Shy

anainar
12-30-2004, 05:45 PM
VPK,

I dont think the comment or pictures target a particular community. For that matter what is in the picture is not even Madisaar. Madisaar is worn without an underskirt. It cannot be worn with an underskirt. So, the picture is a general picture of a woman wearing a saree. One cannot draw inference about the community from the picture.

And Dinesh does attack things, but not against a community or in a partisan manner. So, take it easy.

Cheers

Shy
01-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Ok parkalaam, evaloo perkku therinchu irukkunu ;)
Anyone can you list me the type of sarees katikarthu in India? half saree is also included :)

Shy

Bluelotus
01-06-2005, 06:01 PM
the half saree
the nivi saree...pallu will hang at the back...what I wear :wink:
the madisar
the keralayan pallu-less saree
the one they wear in maharashtra...like a dhoti/trousers
the kandian...the one singhalese wear in sl
the gujurathi saree with pallu at the front
and then I dunno :Ksp:

anainar
01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
We also have a type called sungidi sarees, worn in a particular way, especially by women from villages. That too working class women of villages. Very neatly worn without affecting body movements.

Cheers

vasan
01-06-2005, 06:35 PM
No idea... I know only seven varieties.. but no idea about their names..

1) School uniform - half sarees..
2) Mom, Sis.. saree style.. (most common south indian style)
3) ammamma style
4) madisar (many thanks to SriDevi and Kamal and that movie.. forgot the movie.. some gokulam.. blah blah.. )
5) Kerala grandmas.. (neighbour)
6) North Indian... some thing complicated... (some movies SriDevi wears like normal south indian style.. mom/sis style.. but some times she is dressed in this complex patterns and especially a saree that has many small mirrors sewed into it.. :Ksp:)
7) Some things these models wear and call it saree.. but its not one single style...

all of them are kinda cute.. (except perhaps 7... its really dependent on the model.. some can do it, and many just look awkward.. )

v-

Bluelotus
01-06-2005, 06:39 PM
thattha,
how does your ammamma wear it :think: mine wears it just like me... :think:

Anainar,
is that like the one Revathy wore in Devar Magan? :think:

Shy
01-06-2005, 06:44 PM
sweetlotus,

exactly.. revathy mathiriyae thaan :D naraiya vilalge padathula.. elders appadi katikara mathiri katuvaangalae.. :) athae thaan

Shy

Priyanka
01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Bengalis wear saree in a totally different style.

aswin
01-06-2005, 09:05 PM
In Inner karnataka they wear different styles but not sure how they call it. Badga syle and some other .

My first saree experience is horrible coz of my elder sister. I have this evil kinda sister (if she reads this she prolly kill me..god pls forgive me for saying this ) . I wore her saree coz i din have my own saree, for the farewell party at college 1st year. She was in the 2nd year and she kept all her eyes on me lecturing me not to spoil her saree ..ye ukkarathay , nikkathey , iyyo kasakatha , iyyo yenna karai ithu ...ufff it was a torture.

Good thing is she couldn't come to our class for the final speech and i used that opportuinty and cleaned the desk with the saree pallu, never cleaned a desk before .... well, after that little misdeed from me i had to do her chores like washing and ironing her clothes, wiping her slippers and polishing her shoes, cleaning her plates ...horrible.

Whatever , she is also kinda sweet . It is nice to think of the past .
:sm12:

anjaligirl
01-22-2005, 11:07 PM
haha, my first saree was for my samathya veedu, since I didnt get to pick it I hated it and sulked all day wearing it. Piece of crap my mum still has it in her suitcase and altered it to fit her. Ugly red and green thing. I cant pretend that never happened cuz I still have pictures of that horribly embarassing day. Ive had some great sarees after taht but I got a say in those so im happy, and once you get used to it, its great and comfy to wear.