PDA

View Full Version : Working under women

Shy
05-24-2004, 06:25 PM
For years, women working under men was smooth. But as women started learning all the fields men were, today we have a situation where a women can be a boss. But it seems that3 in 10 men whine or hate working under a lady. Why is that. Is it because of their ego?

Shy

yogesh220
05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes...But one more thing, women ukku romba Porumai athikam...Atinaala men enna pannaalum veliya poruma maataanga, anaa men appdi illai... naanga ellaam veera parambarai, kodumainna pongi elundhuduvoom... :lol: :wink:

seny
05-24-2004, 07:58 PM
First reply for the post.. It could not be just ego. cos do the other 7 people dont have their own egos or what???

Shy neenga solli irukinga 3 out of 10 men whine or hate working under a lady... how does the number look like with woman :think::think: 10/10 whining or hating their male boss??? To me this seems to be biased...

Seny

anainar
05-24-2004, 08:19 PM
For sure women have their own abilties and so do men. Whining is a generic phenomena with working class and whether it can be colored with sex is debatable. Those 3 men might whine about "N" number of things about their bosses and that being a women might be just one of that. So I dont attach any significance to number.

My tryst with corporate world has been in male bastion except for a brief period during which I worked under a lady. I had and still have respect for her. Rest of the time I have been working only in male dominated companies. So, I really cant make objective statements. Only hypothetical.

Based on psychology I can say one thing. We always compare ourselves with our peers. Not necessarily in workplace but also with our relatives, friends etc. A women who is a boss is not a small thing. So a women boss will be considered to have achieved something among her peer group. That gives them a little bit of arrogance/ego,of having achieved something which makes them less target driven later. That is one of the reasons why there are not many women head honchos in corporate world. There are exceptions but they are exceptions and cannot be counted.

Cheers

Bluelotus
05-24-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't think that the sex of the boss matters at all.
Sex, race religion are things which should not be looked at in a working environment.

I think like Anainar said...it might simply be that these men just need any excuse to whine :ee:

After all we all whine abt our bosses :sm12:
Okie so I just had summer jobs ...but they count too :ahha:
It's not the gender but the attitude of the management which is far more important.

I found both male and female bosses to be of equal calibre and understanding....okie :ee: we're talking abt the customer service industry ...dunno abt the rest

If I wanted to moan abt a boss....gender wouldn't stop me :ahha:
u do tend to view them as just a pain in general terms...well when ur doing some worthless summer job anyway, which does not involve saving the world. :ahha:

Men may have found it harder to adapt to more women and top level women at that in their working environement....but this was more in the previous generation than in the current one :think:
I hope anyway....

Seny,
we don't hate the boss cos it's a he or a she....just cos it's the boss :sm12:
just natural distrust of authority....

dinesh
05-24-2004, 10:07 PM
But it seems that3 in 10 men whine or hate working under a lady.

Where did you get this statistic from? Or is it just that you had a bad day at office? :sm12:

seny
05-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Bluelotus, that is what i implied.. to whine abt the boss it need not be he or she..

Anainar "That is one of the reasons why there are not many women head honchos in corporate world. There are exceptions but they are exceptions and cannot be counted. "---> Exceptions never make an example...

Seny

ANGEL.J
05-25-2004, 12:54 AM
I personally think it's very easy to give your excuses to a male boss than a female boss :(:(:(

king_143
05-25-2004, 12:54 AM
I like to work under women provided they dont give me work ( :ee: :ee: :ee: :ee: )

Working Under Women WUW or
Working With Women

There is a lot of difference, the word UNDER is moslty used in India where people take pride on their ability to command. But working WITH is more appropriate in West. I dont have any problem working with anyone be it a male or female or both or none.

ANGEL.J
05-25-2004, 02:41 AM
I like to work under women provided they dont give me work

UNDER ???? :think:

king_143
05-25-2004, 04:55 AM
Quote:
I like to work under women provided they dont give me work

UNDER ????

Yes Under

butterfly
05-26-2004, 02:24 AM
king wrote,

There is a lot of difference, the word UNDER is moslty used in India where people take pride on their ability to command. But working WITH is more appropriate in West.

So true king...it all depends on the attitude of the person...I dont think ego has to do anything with it...its just women always acheive for the best...& in the process push others along with them :)...for eg...when u have party @ home its the women who look @ every details of even how the plates are set..how the napkins are folded...but men they are easy going wat the heck we are going to eat anywaynu solluvango ;)...or coming to cleaning the room women want it tidy all the time but men... this is not a show homenu solluvango :)...

it also depends how u treat ur subordinates...men & women do respect u when u consult with them & include them in ur plan before implementing ur action...also mingle with them in ur free time...having potlucks helps :)...I know it may not work In India..but for sure here it does :)

suha
05-26-2004, 07:34 AM
mmm.....aama ya correct :oops:

Priyam2004
05-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Like what Blues said...it doesn't matter which gender your boss is....if he/she gives you a lot of work/pressure...we're hardly going to say "thank you very much, I've always wanted to work so hard!" are we? :Ksp: Of course we're going to whine...it's part of every job role ;) If we don't whine, then something's not quite right..... :sm12:

Guys tend to whine more than girls...hmm :think:...yes to an extent that's true, simply cos' (I personally think) men are more impatience compared to women, therefore it's easier for girls to stay calm, whereas guys tend to lose their cool quickly :nono: :P

vasan
05-26-2004, 09:00 PM
This kinda 'trouble' is of recent phenomena. Only because the management style - and jobs available have changed over the years and we have nominal 'bosses' who are supposed to work with you and not control you. You report to them instead of you work for them.

Earlier such a thing did not exist as bosses are bosses and no close interaction is really needed. For example: My school had a lady Principal. All teachers were working under her - and the lines of command are very well spelt - and both male and female teachers were ok with it. Instead you take a situation in a class room, where a student group has a girl president or team leader - and being equal to other guys, it might create trouble.

Such differences arise out of three things: 1) The girl - not realizing that she is equal - bullies her people, and all are upset 2) Either guys have a 'superiority' complex (mild or severe) or Females have 'inferiority' complex (mild or severe) or vice versa and 3) misunderstanding between people (miscommunication etc).

In the modern environment - it is imperative to treat your coworkers - and people reporting to you are your coworkers, not your servants - with courtesy and consideration. It is also important to shed psycho hangups like superiority for what ever reason and learn to work with people - and practice open, honest and clear communication.

I am sure the 'trouble' we have seen or heard are transitory. With more women taking part and becoming an integral part of any work place - such things will die an eventual death. And all people will hate their bosses irrespective of their gender... :P :P

Vasan

ps: Would I hate my woman boss? Right now I don't have one... If I hate them it won't be because of their gender... probably.. :D