PDA

View Full Version : Boys Movie Review

meet_ram
08-31-2003, 04:53 AM
:cool: :ee:
For the past one year, Tamil cinema had been obsessed with youth culture and youthful films. 'Boys' is Shankar's expensive addition to this list.

The story resembles that of 'Thulluvatho Ilamai', so you are able to predict the twists and turns in advance. The only difference is- in 'Thulluvatho Ilamai', the story ends with the kids running away from their homes. Here, the story goes a little beyond and shows them succeed in their chosen professions.

Siddharth, Nakul, Manikandan, Bharat and Sai are from different colleges with different family backgrounds and with special talents in different aspects of music. They are inseparable buddies. Their only passion is girls and they would do anything to get a second glance from these girls (All these scenes are so full of youthfulness and energy!).

Harini arrives in the scene as the friend/girlfriend of these boys. Siddharth does something revolting for her and love blossoms between them. But, when the families come to know about it, they become very strict on them. So, with the help of Vivek, they elope to Thirupathi and get married. After winning in love, they swear to succeed in their lives too and the whole gang leaves home.

They begin to suffer when they run out of money. Vivek intervenes and with his help, they discover their musical talent and try to bring it out tot eh rest of the world. They form a band named 'Boys'. Just when everything is going smooth and they are going to make it big, a tiff erupts between the newly married. It is resolved and all ends well.

The hairstyles and costumes of the boys reflect the kind of styles we see in our everyday lives. There is no artificiality in the way they run behind girls (even women sometimes) for date or renew their friendship when they get into troubles and when they work hard to fulfill their dreams. All the scenes are very enjoyable.

Bharath's dance skills are wow! Devayani's brother Nakul has a very charming smile. Don't be surprised if the hairstyle becomes a rage in future.

Throughout the film, Siddharth has a longing in his eyes. Harini fits the role of a rich girl perfectly well (they have a good onscreen chemistry too). Sai, who gets drunk and turns the whole story around when he starts rambling and the middle- class Manikandan meet with a shocking end.

All the characters in the film are memorable.

Shankar's energy levels are amazing. There is not a single scene in the film that could be termed waste. The way the Bhuvaneshwari character is fitted in the climax shows the great script writing skill.

Though Vivek and Senthil were used sparingly for comedy, their characters are pretty strong too. Senthil's character deserves a special mention because even if the character is around for only a few moments, you probably would never meet such a person in our life.

The film is a technical treat. Ravi K Chandran's cinematography presents the film from some very different angles. You will have to see the film to understand the hard work that had gone into each and every frame. The boom boom' song is an example. The visuals begin from the set, pass through a Coke bottle and finally end in the Generator room in which Siddharth and Harini live. The audience starts clapping without prompting.

Sabu Cyril had done his magic too- the dating resort, the MTV stage in the climax and the huge set made with discarded materials bear testimony to his talents.

'Yenakkoru girlfriend' is the song of the year. AR Rehman has done a fabulous job with not only the songs, but also with the background score of the film. Raju Sundaram is unperturbed in spite of a spate of young choreographers. This film shows why. Then, there is the precise editing. Though the film is a technical masterpiece, the animated 'girlfriend' in 'Yenakkoru girlfriend' song and the 62 camera shot in 'Aley aley' song don't fail to amaze the audience.

The biggest plus of the film is the fact that the story doesn't stagnate at any point. The tremors at Chennai were just an incident, but it was a big inspiration for Shankar. He used it to turn the story around.

Sujatha's dialogues are pretty young too. "You named me after your girlfriend. I don't want to name my son after my boyfriend in his memory." Sharp and direct.

You feel sorry for them when they struggle for money and a chance to prove their talents. You feel tense when they, unknowingly, compose music for a terrorist gang to get money to pay their exam fee.

This only means, Shankar has hit gold the sixth time in a row.

Shankar's sharp analytical mind shows in this film. Though there is magnificence, it doesn't irk you.

Instead of showing that they had succeeded with just one song, it was pretty realistic on the director's part to show them gradually progress from composing music for a devotional album, a political campaign and then reach the MTV awards.

This time, Shankar had brought out the talents of a bunch of freshers, without relying solely on lavishness and stunning visuals.

When did Shankar go wrong, anyway?

arumugam57
08-31-2003, 07:44 AM
Nice Review.. I am waiting for the movie soon..

surya21_1998
09-04-2003, 10:58 PM
wish i am back home to watch this movie in theater! :sm19:

sweetie
09-05-2003, 03:13 AM
Yeah... This review looks nice :think: :think: :think: :think:

Hope / Wish someone posts the movie online somewhere soon ......

holland
09-07-2003, 03:19 PM
really nice and positive review!!
:cool:

albertpramod
09-11-2003, 11:16 PM
good job.....cannot expect any better review........

thamizh
09-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Saw the movie thanks to geetham.net, admin bala, thanks machaan! ;)
hmm, wht 2 say, i read a lot of reviews abt d movie commenting on d movie in both ways: gud and bad.
Overall d movie was njoyable, a lil heart-warming&funny but of cos it got a lil out of hand in too many places.
one advice "DONT WATCH THE MOVIE WITH YOUR PARENTS OR FAMILY!!! " :00:
Songs are jus superrrrrrrrrbbb bt thts jus old news! :wink:
Picturisation of d the songs is fantastic, loads of effort has been put in2 it. you cud watch d movie jus 4 d songs & probably most ppl r! :wink:
first half is boring&d film only starts movin in d 2nd part. D guys r cool & funny. Sumtimes d so-called comedy& sum vulgar scenes make u v uncomfy.
Not sure if u wil get d msg of d film at d end of it!
A film v expensively made, its a hit in india despite ppl hvin arguments abt d controversial issues of d film.
But, Shankar, v expected sth else frm u.....

coolgeez
09-15-2003, 02:29 AM
saw the movie and a word of advice - had one of my friends come with his parents and he was in big trouble. so if any of u r dumb enough to invite ur parents too think twice but otherwise its a great movie - enjoyable!!

vennai1
09-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Boys.... Nice Movie .. Nicely made ... :D

Hats off shankar :cool:

As always, there will be debates that it
could have been made better. But the truth is
it is an above average Tamil movie.

Hero : Good introduction.
Heroine : Not up to the mark.
(I am guessing she will make a maximum of
10 films in tamil... that would be a surprise to me if she
really does 10 films !! :P )

Ofcourse, the film does have vulgar dialogues.
No doubt. But cinema usually is a mirror of the real world.
So we have nothing to complain :ush:

My rating : 60/100.

aburvaraagam
09-16-2003, 04:02 PM
You all were able to watch the full movie,unfortunately as for me part3 i culd watch only for few mnts say upto the song Maro maro. Only so much got downloaded. I had requesting to help me in this but so far i ve not rcd ny favourable reply. :(

siva

dinesh
09-16-2003, 04:34 PM
try downloading the file again, sometimes this happens if the download isn't complete....most of the active members here have been able to watch it i think....

aburvaraagam
09-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Shindesh

Thanx for the reply,u know i downloaded part 3 atleast 10times but in vain. No use at all. Still the same problem.I don t know wat to do??????????????????????????

siva[glow=red:ab285e5c25][/glow:ab285e5c25]

silican
09-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Hi Sivakumar,
the first time when u downloaded, it came for 10 mins. So the next time when u download it refers to the memory (ur temp internet files) and reads the EOF "end of file" and completes the download again for 10 mins of video. So a better solution would be clean ur temp files and download to a diff location in ur HD. This should help u.

Silican

vennai1
09-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Siva, are you using DAP or any other software to download ?

Also do what my dear mamooty (*silican*) told you ... :P

arumugam57
09-16-2003, 09:52 PM
What Silican tells is 100% correct.
Hi siva don't delete any temp files just like that.. You know all system booting files ( some critical files) loaded in windows%temp file only. Don't delete any files just like that with out systems help. Use Clean Up the disk facility for removing unwanted files. Enjoy.

sri_gan
09-17-2003, 02:15 AM
Read the reviews from Vikatan, They give a super review :lol: "BOYS"

aburvaraagam
09-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Silican,vennai,6face

Thnx guys for u r help will do the same n will let u know the result.

siva

aburvaraagam
09-19-2003, 05:18 PM
thanx a lot for u r help guys,i successfully saw boys part 3 also. Thanx to u all......
siva

Virus
09-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Boys....Not Diseases….
that is virus if i attack continuously then where will u all see geetham...!......No chance for survival.....save our Tamil culture....if u wish to do so.... don't do all bads behind screen....show all bad to public and public should recognise itself which are bad and good....! In addition, they have to have rights to get decision themselves to avoid doing all bad for protect our culture and human community.... Shanger ...please continue ur job.....show all corners covered by screens to public and make public to get decisions with better understanding....! Don't be followers Do better thinking and get better decision...!
:fight: :yes: :ush: :nono: :00: :think: