PDA

View Full Version : Colors & Meaning......

anitam
06-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Based on the request from Butterfly.....for u guys......

Colors & Meaning......
http://www.geetham.net/photoshow/logo.php?picturename=albums/userpics/14899/DYKnowColor.jpg

Colors have a significant meaning throughout history. This can be seen and noted within several religions, cultures, races, & regions of the world! Below you find a sample of the meanings of main colors. Keep in mind that there are many systems for color meanings and magick. Use the givien guide for choosing clothing, home decorating, choosing ritual candles, crystals, and gems.

Red->Love, sexuality, good health, strength and physical vigor.

Pink -> Overcomes evil, represents honor, love, morality, friendship, general success.

Orange->Encouragement, strengthens the ability to concentrate, attraction, adaptability, stimulation. Yellow->Attraction, persuasion ( can change minds), instills confidence, charm.

Green->Money, luck, financial success and prosperity, fertility, good crops and harvest, cooperation. Blue ->Healing, peace, psychism, patience, happiness.

Dark Blue->Depression, moodiness, changability, impulsivness, unfortunate and very subduing.

Light Blue ->Understanding, health, tranquility, protection, peace, general happiness, sharpens the power to perceive, spiritual awareness, patience.

Purple->Power, healing severe disease, spirituality, meditation, religion.

Whilte->Protection, purification, all purposes. Symbolic of the Moon, freshness, snow, cold, and potential.

Brown->Hesitation in all matters, uncertainty and doubt, neutrality, robs energy.

Black->Banishing negativity, absorbing negativity.

Gray->Cancellation, stalemate, neutrality.

Yellow Green->Jealousy and anger, sickness, quarrels, discord, cowardice.
:D :D :D

vasan
06-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Red->Love, sexuality, good health, strength and physical vigor.

Green->Money, luck, financial success and prosperity, fertility, good crops and harvest, cooperation.

Dark Blue->Depression, moodiness, changability, impulsivness, unfortunate and very subduing.

Brown->Hesitation in all matters, uncertainty and doubt, neutrality, robs energy.

Black->Banishing negativity, absorbing negativity.

Gray->Cancellation, stalemate, neutrality.

I understand what the colors signify - but where are these colors supposed to be...? Serious-aa ketkiren paa.. Are these colors of walls at home? Or clothes? Or car? Or..

On a lateral note.. (blame Priyam, for these thoughts!)

I have RED/GREEN deficiency

I am BLACK - though ethinically people might call me BROWN (what can Mr. Brown do for you? :D )

I like DARK BLUE trousers/jeans.. (guys wearing pink is... well, hollywood has not affected me that much.. :ahha: )

My hair is gray... (or grey or whatever... )

I think, I am the embodiment of all that is evil and bad and wrong in this world... :(
See what each color signifies above.. !!

completely dejected v-

Bluelotus
06-01-2004, 06:39 PM
I object to drak blue being so depressing :(

anitam
06-01-2004, 09:42 PM
I understand what the colors signify - but where are these colors supposed to be...? Serious-aa ketkiren paa.. Are these colors of walls at home? Or clothes? Or car? Or..

Answering question seriously, :00: :00: :00:

I think its just ur favourite color......... :ush:

Priyam2004
06-01-2004, 11:53 PM
1st of all...thanks Anitam for explaining abt colours :sm08:

2ndly...ooooiiii Vasan...ennanga neenga....sollurathu ellam sollitu...en melai thooki poduringa :? Just kidding :sm09:

3rdly...my fav colour is RED....ooohhh....so that's what it means huh? :sm10:

butterfly
06-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Thanks anitam :sm08:
Got some more for everyone :)...specially to make vasan annoii more confused :)

Roses come in a wide range of colors. Each different color has a different meaning.It sends a silent, yet extremely important message from the sender to receiver.

Make sure you are sending the right message when you select roses for someone, else he or she will get the wrong message!

Red - Love, beauty, courage and respect
White - Purity and innocence, silence or secrecy, also reverence and humility
Pink- Appreciation,"Thank you", grace, perfect happiness, and admiration
Dark Pink- Appreciation, gratitude
Light Pink - admiration, sympathy
Yellow- Joy, gladness, friendship, delight, the promise of a new beginning
Orange- Desire, and enthusiasm
Red and White- Given together, these signify unity.
Red Rosebud - A symbol of purity and loveliness
White Rosebud - Symbolic of girlhood
Thornless Rose - Signifies "Love at first sight".

Thanks to gardenersnet.com :)

My hair is gray... (or grey or whatever... )

annoi,
thats wats called salt & pepper :)...appadinu inge irukire aunties solluvango :)

Shy
06-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Wow, thats good info anitam and pattams :b: Great !!!

I love red, black & white :ee:

Shy

unique
06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info Anita n Bfly......ennaku ella coloursum pidikum,appo :think: :think: .....sari mauve,cyan,beige indha maadhiri innum niraya colour vittuteengalae adhukku meaning

seny
06-02-2004, 03:42 PM
:think::think: hmmmm.. too many things to be worried abt in selecting the colours too??

vasan for house and wall colours go to a good vasthu fellow.. :ahha: he will empty ur pocket and suggest good old fashioned colours... :lol::lol:..

when it comes to dress, i personally dont care unless i am uncomfortable with how i look.. ahahahaha..

Shy
06-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info Anita n Bfly......ennaku ella coloursum pidikum,appo :think: :think: .....sari mauve,cyan,beige indha maadhiri innum niraya colour vittuteengalae adhukku meaning

Unique.. Basic colors vachu u got to find for all the other ones.. For example, to get a soft mauve u mix black and white. Also Red and blue gives u another form of mauve. So basic color ooda characters yaeduthu we can assign it :D

Shy

vasan
06-02-2004, 05:42 PM

Unique.. Basic colors vachu u got to find for all the other ones.. For example, to get a soft mauve u mix black and white. Also Red and blue gives u another form of mauve. So basic color ooda characters yaeduthu we can assign it :D

Shy

But Teacher...

Aren't RGB the only basic colors.. :00: Well, you can add Black (no colors) and White (all colors), but why so many Basic Colors... :Ksp:

Seny: rrr... Vasthu ahh.. ? I am planning to live in a tree house up on mountains.. No Vasthu there.. all nature and its brilliant hues and colors.. Renounce the civilization and all that... :P :P

Or the lovely beaches in Baja California... :P

Vasan

Bluelotus
06-02-2004, 05:56 PM

Shy

:00: :00:

Shy Akka
black and white doesn't give mauve...it gives grey

mauve is from red and blue with a dash of white

basic colours are the primary colours red blue and yellow
(and white I suppose...but black will be obtained from mixing all 3 primary colours...I am not talking abt light here :ahha: )

Vastu ellam vendam...
just paint ur walls all blue :wink:
any blue ...
there are so many :ee:

Blue. :ahha:

anainar
06-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Is there a color called Mauve? Cant believe these!! On top of that explanation of Mauve that it is red and blue with a dash of white? Enga poi muttikka thalaiyai? All I can see is Red, Green and Blue. And to some extent Yellow. Orange and Pink always confuse me. Mauve and Peech are uknown territories for me. So that way I am colre deficient.

It is for this reason that I stay away from shopping. The shop guy will embarass me with all his knowledge of peech and mauve while I will be scratching my head, what the heck is the RGB component of this color?

My favourtie color kept changing. I used to like black earlier but now I like red a lot. Does it mean my personality underwent a change operation? Too confusing. :think: :think: Yaaravathu vilakungo please...

Vasan, California Beaches? Of course you will see a lot of color there. Some of them come with a huge price tag too as G/F once you express your desire to them. Take your pick and you have to mortgage your tree house also to pay their bills.

Cheers

Priyam2004
06-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Colour Chart ->

http://www.figureskatewear.com/Boutique/colors.jpg

The silver stated in this chart can also be quoted as grey (cos' it is matt).
Mauve is a beautiful colour...!!! :D
However in this chart...Melon seems to be slightly different...the colour of a melon is usually dark yellow! :Ksp: :Ksp:

Anyways' red is still my fav...very vibrant, live and attractive ;)

Anainar enna solluringa...mortgage for the treehouse...really??? Achacho...Vasan...you have to pay me rent...cos' I have a mortgage to pay now :( ((Just kidding! :P :P ))

Shy
06-02-2004, 07:06 PM
First vasan'ku answer...

There are 2 divisions in colors. PRimary and Secondary. Primary colors are Red, yellow, and blue. Orange, green, and purple are secondary colors, which are really composed of the two colors on either side.red and yellow make orange colors, yellow and blue make green colors, blue and red make purple colors. Black is no color and white is like brigthest pure color.

So basically intha colors vachu we create as many different shades we can get. Mauve, grey pink etc we create from these colors.

RGB as far as I know is a concept of colors, its not the only basic colors. okvaa :D

Second sweet lotus'ku answer

There are many shades of mauve. 50% or white and 50% of black gives u medium gray. but 90% of black and 10% of white gives u a different shade of mauve. But the actual shade of mauve with be combination of purple, I dont know the percentage, but red and blue as 90% and 10% thou. As u said, mixing white wit red and blue does give u mauve, but a different shade :D

Shy

anainar
06-02-2004, 07:23 PM
RGB are primary colors. Any other color can be created with the right combination of these. I dont know how Yellow became a primary color. That is the basic premise behind graphics on computers. Whatever signals that you pass to TV, they internally get converted to RGB and displayed in right mix.

Apparently the bandwidth requirement of RGB is too high for transmission along cable signals and hence the electronics wizards found another term called Component Video Output, especially with DVD players and HDTV. It is called Y,Pb,Pr. These are in turn functions of RGB. which are the basic colors. A 256 level differentiation for each RGB value can create 16 million shades of color which human cant differentiate. Component Video uses this human limitation to reduce the bandwidth requirement.

The point behind all these explanations is, Red, Green and Blue are the primary colors. Everything else is secondary or tertiary colors.

Cheers

Shy
06-02-2004, 07:37 PM
RGB are primary colors. Any other color can be created with the right combination of these. I dont know how Yellow became a primary color. That is the basic premise behind graphics on computers. Whatever signals that you pass to TV, they internally get converted to RGB and displayed in right mix.

Apparently the bandwidth requirement of RGB is too high for transmission along cable signals and hence the electronics wizards found another term called Component Video Output, especially with DVD players and HDTV. It is called Y,Pb,Pr. These are in turn functions of RGB. which are the basic colors. A 256 level differentiation for each RGB value can create 16 million shades of color which human cant differentiate. Component Video uses this human limitation to reduce the bandwidth requirement.

The point behind all these explanations is, Red, Green and Blue are the primary colors. Everything else is secondary or tertiary colors.

Cheers

RGB is not primary color ji.. RYB is !!!

RGB is the color concept used in TVs and other animations

Shy

vasan
06-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Well well well... Trust the men to divert a nice topic on colors to some thing boringly technical.. :P :P :P

Here we go:

Both RGB and RYB are primary colors. Depending on your definition. Infact many use CMY (Cyan, Magenta and Yellow as primary colors too..)

There are two possible ways to obtain all the other colors. If you are using additive method (mix color lights and get a new color, like you would on a computer screen) we would call RGB as primary colors. On the other hand if you use Subtractive method (such as paints and pigments) then you will have either RYB or CMY as your primary colors.

If you use a prism to split colors what we get is a spectra color (which is the basis of colored light). On the other hand when light is reflected from a substance that is colored then you would want to use Subtractive model. The basic difference between emission and reflection, ladies and gentlemen.. :P

In short: If you are choosing clothes, paints for your door and house and car and nails.. choose consider CMY or RYB as primary. If you are a designer for computer screens, Adobe, Digitial Wide Screen TVs, RGB is the mantra...

Try "define: Primary Colors" (with out quotes !) in Google.. and also

http://www.colorcube.com/articles/theory/glossary.htm
http://www.cybraryn.com/support/resources/graphics/graphicsglossary.asp
http://www.chromalink.com/glossary.htm

Enna problem solved-aa? Ippo sollunga.. What is Cyan, Magenta and Yellow.. :Ksp: :sm12: :sm12: How does it look... gosh.. this is terrifying.. :(

Priyam2004
06-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Shy, Anainar & Vasan...neenga ellorum sonnathu correct regarding primary colours! :P :P

As far as paint and material is concerned...the primary colours are 'Red', 'Blue' & 'Yellow' as what Shy said. :)

As far as light colourings (ie: TV screens, etc) is concerned...the primary colours are 'Red', 'Green' & 'Blue' as what Vasan and Anainar said. ;)

anainar
06-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Shy,

Finally we seem to be disagreeing on something. Good to pull out supporting casts. There are two kind of color models. RGB and CMYK( Cyan - Magenta - Yellow - Black) model. The primary colors cannot be mixed between these two schemes. So it is either RGB or CMYK. So yellow cannot be a primary color in RGB scheme. It is generated by mixing Red and Green.

Now, RGB is used predominatly in Computers/CRTs and digital displays while CMYK is used in printers, essentially because of color behaviour of inks is different with color behaviour of CRTs or LCDs.

Any doubts on this check this web page. Very interesting piece about colors. Of course nothing connected to psychology though...

Click Here (http://www.omsi.edu/visit/hightech/techinit/phase2/content/colormix.cfm)

Cheers

madhu_aish1
06-02-2004, 08:09 PM
This isn't getting better as days pass .....

Earlier posts of "what animal you are " , chinese signs . something.. something .. matched our personalities with our birthday. that was damn easy . i just had to find when i was born and choose my personalities and get dejected . Now tables have turned and you are asking us to choose our favorite color . (Oh man ! when it comes to choice its significantly difficult ). I dont know what my favorite color is .. albeit people say i like red ... i cant imagine my walls painted in red :00: :00: thats a killer color..

BUt when it comes to giving rose . I like fluorescent yellow :P :P which is not listed over here :? :? more or less equivalent is "Yellow Green->Jealousy and anger, sickness, quarrels, discord, cowardice" this is distraous to me :sm19: :sm20: :sm20:

anitam .. help me out .. I am sinking :pray: :pray:

seny
06-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Pesama intha sectionla colour blinda irukuratha nallathu... :00:.. ithana colour irukurathu nala than problems ellam... kanamoodikitu pasanga mathiri colour choose panna problem irukathu :ahha:...

dinesh
06-02-2004, 08:16 PM
I thought Melon and Peach were fruits :00:

sri_gan
06-02-2004, 08:17 PM
This isn't getting better as days pass .....

Earlier posts of "what animal you are " , chinese signs . something.. something .. matched our personalities with our birthday. that was damn easy . i just had to find when i was born and choose my personalities and get dejected . Now tables have turned and you are asking us to choose our favorite color . (Oh man ! when it comes to choice its significantly difficult ). I dont know what my favorite color is .. albeit people say i like red ... i cant imagine my walls painted in red :00: :00: thats a killer color..

BUt when it comes to giving rose . I like fluorescent yellow :P :P which is not listed over here :? :? more or less equivalent is "Yellow Green->Jealousy and anger, sickness, quarrels, discord, cowardice" this is distraous to me :sm19: :sm20: :sm20:

anitam .. help me out .. I am sinking :pray: :pray:

Unmai Kasakka than seiyum inna pannurathu :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12: :sm12:

seny
06-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Dinesh, ella fruits kum irukura colour eduthu oru special colournu ippa akitanga vera onnum illa..

Bluelotus
06-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanx Shy akka :D great explanation....
hmmm considering I do my best not to get involved in anything TV or IT or technology in general if I can help it...RYB rules :ee:

enough :Ksp: :Ksp:

there is no such thing as a bad colour.
Colours are all beautiful
It simply that some cultures associate certain colours for different purposes.

Yellow is actually a happy colour......when children use yellow in their drawings ....they are usually happier than when they use olive-green for example
Red ofcourse is the colour most associated with passion..and danger
the brighter the colours the more alert ppl are ...I think :think:

Most bright colours are happy colours ...the sombre ones are the opposite ...as they seem to correlate with our darker moods.

But then I usually wear blue and dark colours...must say that in colder countries ...it seems to be the norm to wear darker colours

Colour preferences does change over time.
it does somehow reflect the level of change you have undergone (maturity or experiences, etc)
Just rememember they are all nice.

and new colours are created everyday....u can't keep naming them after weird sequences of numbers ...so we use fruity names...or flowers etc
I mean there's a very small difference in nuances btwn magnolia and off-white...
they all look sometimes :?

just a question Vasan,

can you see green :think:
can u see the little red berries on the shrubs :think: is it all differnt shades of grey?
sorry just curious :ee: abt colour blindness

vasan
06-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Blues,

Yeah. I can see green and I can distinguish green from red (traffic lights!!). What is more bothersome is those colored dots that have different shades of these colors and often with no or very little pattern. For persons with no defficiency, they will see 2 or 8 or some such stuff, and all I would see will be like some random pattern or some other number..

Doc said, its pretty mild form.. (the first ten or so slides I could breeze through, and only the last few were troublesome.. !). Other than that there is no problem..

Apparently, of all the things, I am told this is incurable.. :( :( Once color blind always color blind.. :(

My fav colors are anyways, blue/gray/black and all that is sombre and dull.. just like me.. :P :P

vasan

vasan
06-02-2004, 09:24 PM
By the way, yo people of the little island... It is written...

C O L O R

and not colour.. :nono: Watch the spelling, would you folks.. :P :P :sm12: :sm12:

Bluelotus
06-02-2004, 09:27 PM
thanx Vasan

colour blindness is actually hereditary ... not curable...but it's a not a huge huge problem though is it.....unless u wanna become a pliot or sumthing :think:
anyway ...u have mild form of it ...cheer up old chap ain't the end of the world :wink:

well ppl like the colours that appeal to them most :ee:
and actually grey and blue can be very cheerful ...depends on the shadees ....
yada yada yada :Ksp:
:ahha:

I have to say though...the most irritating colour combination in the world is fluorescent green worn with candy floss pink :evil:

colour colour colour colour colour
pala murai sonnaal unmai aahum :sm12:

butterfly
06-03-2004, 01:34 AM
unique,
enakum mauve rombha pudikum...& they do have mauve roses...meaning kidaicha podaren :)

after seeing this topic on colors...am tempted to start a topic on interior decoration... :sm12: :sm12: ...ideas eppadi varuthunu parkalam :)

vasan
06-03-2004, 01:52 AM
unique,
enakum mauve rombha pudikum...& they do have mauve roses...meaning kidaicha podaren :)

after seeing this topic on colors...am tempted to start a topic on interior decoration... :sm12: :sm12: ...ideas eppadi varuthunu parkalam :)

மாவு கிடைச்சா தோசை சுட்டு போடுவீங்கள ா? :wink: :sm11: ஹையா.. ஜாலி தான்... :P

decoration? :00: ஒ ஹோ... :doh: கலர் பத்திதான் இன்னும் பேசிட்டு இருக்கீங்க ளா... சே.. நல்லா ஏமாந்திட்ட ேன்... :(

butterfly
06-03-2004, 02:12 AM
:sm12: :sm12: :sm12: ...pasiode vandhu padikatheengo...nalla saptu vandhu padingo...appo ellam theliva therium :)