PDA

View Full Version : Nature or Nuture

Shy
06-11-2004, 04:42 PM
ஒரு மனிதன் பிறக்கும்ப ோதே வன்முறையாள னாகப் பிறக்கிறான ா, அல்லது சூழ்நிலை மட்டும்தான ் அவனை அப்படி ஆக்குகிறதா (Nature அல்லது Nuture?)

For those who cant read tamil.

Which makes a man VIOLENT, is it genetics or situations ?

I was reading vikatan, when I came across this. They say that this question is still under research and theres no answer for it yet. Why dont we anaylse this ??? :D

Share ur thoughts.

Shy

sri_gan
06-11-2004, 04:52 PM
50% - 50%

ferny
06-11-2004, 04:56 PM
I say situations. Even if it is in the genes...fire needs fuel to burn

vasan
06-11-2004, 05:05 PM
I am a moralist/absolutist.... While nature might have a very small component to provide the stimuli, it does not make a man/woman violent (or non-violent). So are the situations. And nurture. Two people growing up in exact same conditions don't end up in exact same fashion.

How an individual reacts to situations in totally under his/her control (unless the person is mentally ill and can not control his own behavior). We have no excuse - except our own selfs, for what we are.

Vasan

venky1974
06-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I think the major part lies in the problem solving ability of the person.

If the person lack's the skill then he is bound to get tensed and stressed up.

Once he reaches that state then depending upon the situation can make him violent.

Side track:

Take Phil Jackson for Example, Head Coach for LA Lakers. He is so calm and quiet in the court.

Piston Head coach is always stressed up...

anainar
06-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Genetics? And Violence? I dont think they are connected. The environment one grows in has more impact than genetics. If it is genetics, then every serial killer or murderer should have a heir for himself by now. That does not happen.

I second Vasan. We are responsible what we are. Anger or violent temper is not uncontrollable. Of course every individual has a dark side and given a chance that might come out. But making sure that it does not cross boundaries of civilization is entirely upto an individual. Genetics is no reason at all.

Cheers

yogesh220
06-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Anainar, they are connected, but they are not the dominant factor...Given the same circumstances and the same growth pattern and the same situations, two persons behave differently... that subtle difference is what determined byt eh genes and soo.. I will say may be the 10% and 90%.. so I voted Situations.

Btw, Shy Violent spelling maathunga... yaarum english veriyarkal paathu violent aahida pooraanga....:lol:

goodcomplanboy
06-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Its the situation, that has the major effect in a man's life and how he handles them. So its kind of 10-90 as yogi said.

Bluelotus
06-11-2004, 09:13 PM
yes true ...nature can only blamed to an extent ...nurture and current state of affairs will certainly have very strong impact on the behaviour of the person.

However....with violence in mind...

When related to brain activity you may be surprised or not as the case may be...that the impact will be greater than many of you originally thought.
If the genetic let's call it "mutation" for now...affects brain chemical activity detrimentally then one cannot help one's violent nature...

If part of the nervous system has not fully developed due to lack of certain gene activation or whatever else....then yes the person can be extremely violent depending on "what is missing"
they would not even realise they are being "violent" and anti-social for they would not be able to even comprehend "social"

Much research has been carried out by criminal psychologists on serial killers ...and they have concluded that although those criminal look and behave very civilly it is but a show ...and deep down they have many "character"/ "personality" traits in common....even though their Nurture/family and social background differed considerably....

so I will go for genetic on this one...
although.....a multifactorial solution is the right one ....with genes at perhaps as high as 75% and other factors at 25%.

doubtful-but-winging-it
Blue.