PDA

View Full Version : Laptop keeps turning off

ferny
06-11-2004, 05:10 PM
I have a toshiba laptop and keeps turning off every hour or so. I don't know why. I have checked the battery (its okay), I have checked for viruses using Nortron Antivirus (it seems okay), I have checked for the Sasser virus from the windows website (I don't have it). I don't know what else to do. Has anyone experienced this before or know what the problem is. Also, does anyone know how I can check for spyware on my computer?

Thanks!!

venky1974
06-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I would imaging you better check the Power management under control panel.

You might have to change the settigns there. There is an option called Hybernation and you need to either configure that. Let us knwo if it fixes your issue.

If not we can go more in that. If it does not let us know a few things

Is there any program you are running when its shuts off or

How much time does it run before it shuts off etc..

Cheers,

ferny
06-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your reply venky.

I have checked the power management and it says that it will go into hibernation if my battery power reaches 3%. But my computer turns off even when it is at 70% battery power.

I usually use just internet explorer or office applications. It doesn't seem to matter what software I am using when it turns off. Once I was just doing a virus scan with Nortron and it switched off. It seems to do it every hour.

I just don't get computers....:(

vasan
06-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Ferny,

How old is your computer? How many batteries do you have?

Does it also turn off, when you are connected directly to a power line? Was the computer idle (meaning you were not using the keyboard or mouse) before it went off?

Batteries are not meant to last for ever. Usually, it will be done by like 2-4 years. Though the monitor might show it still holds 70 % or whatever charge. Thats sad, but thats how it is..

If it goes off even when you are connected to a powerline directly, then we will have to worry.. Any way, do let us know..

Me just don't get the computers either. Worse, I don't get people either.. :( :(

vasan

anainar
06-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Well, Ferny, not only neither do we get computers. Switching off after an hour is normally because of power settings. There might be a thermal shut down also. Does the computer get extremely hot after 1 hour? The CPUs have auto shutdown beyond a temperature. If the CPU fans dont function properly the temperture might go up causing the shut down.If this happens, your laptop is due for a service visit. Or get a Dell laptop. I have had many Dell laptops( Lattitudes, Precision and Inspirons ) so far and never had any trouble with any of them.

Cheers

Cheers

ferny
06-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm glad to know i'm not in on this alone!

I bought the computer only 8 months ago. It still has warranty. As far as I can tell it is not a power problem because it seems to turn off even if use the power cord.

I'm not sure how hot..hot is. It seems warm but isn't that normal for a computer. I didn't have this problem two weeks ago. I remember seeing a two hour movie and it was okay.

Maybe you are right anainar...I'll just take it to those service people.

When something like this happens..it just gets me really depressed. Thanks for the help guys :)

anainar
06-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Ferny,

Any time dude. You are not alone in Geetham. :P :P :P

See if the fan runs fine. It normally sits in the rear. If it running properly then the problem could be something else too. I dont think viruses or spyware work on time bound fashion. You can check for spyware using the software Adware from Lavasoft.

Cheers