How to rip DVDs into AVIs
Closed Thread

Thread: How to rip DVDs into AVIs

Default How to rip DVDs into AVIs

Guys,

There have been requests to post details of DVD Ripping with Dolby Digital audio. It is relatively simple job. A little bit of fundas..

DVD is basically copy protected with encryption. It is a scam by the DVD companies to rip customers based on the geographical location. So, you cannot copy the DVD directly to your PC and play. It has to be decrypted.

There are freeware available to do that. The best one is DVD Decrypter. Download it from here Click . On running you will get a screen like this

This will decrypt the DVD and copy it to hard disk. The files will be called VOBs, normally of 1 GB. These files contain both audio and video. If you are planning to rip, make sure you use IFO mode. As soon as you start decrypter, press I and that puts you in that mode. Streams are categorized as PGC( Program Chains ). The main movie will be the largest chain with time. Select that to decrypt the main movie. This is the first step. This is common which everway you want to go for making the AVI file.

Now comes the second step. You need to get the audio track of the movie. Many times, the AVI creater like Dr.DivX may not identify the audio track or even if it identifies, will convert it to MP3. If you dont want any of those two, you need to use this software DVD2AVI. Download it from here. Click

Operation is piece of cake.

Starting the software gets you the above screen. Click File->Open and pick the first VOB file. Normally that will be VOB_02_1 or something like that. Once you pick the first one, the software will ask you whether you want to add all the VOBs numbered 2_1 till the end( something like 2_8 or 2_7 ) based on the length of the movie. Select all of them and click ok. You will see the movie in the software window. Press F5 for preview. It will play the movie and show a status window showing the frames per second, whether interlaced or not etc. View for a few seconds and press Esc to stop. Now press F4 to save the project. Remember, dont save it as AVI. Just save the project and it will prompt for file name. Give it some name "abc". It will run for 3-4 minutes and finish. If you look at the directory, you will have the VOB files as well as a new file "abc.d2v" and "ABC AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 1568ms.ac3". This file is the audio track. You can play this track alone in any software DVD player and hear only the audio of the movie. This step is required only if you want Dolby Audio or Dr DivX would not identify the audio track.

Now comes the Video compression. You have a variety of software for doing this. Dr.DivX is the easiest and a paid software. You can crack it though. Or use freeware like Gordian Knot/VirtualDub combination which can be downloaded from here Click . If you are downloading the whole pack, it has the DVD2AVI and decrypter packed. So you dont need to download any thing else. The site www.doom9.org has extensive guides on using Gordian Knot to do video encoding. Follow them if you want to use that. I found out Virtual Dub to give better results for the same file size but it is a little involved process and many parameters to fiddle around. There is one more product called NanDub which is supposed to give the best results because of its variable bit rate algorithm, but I had little succes in ripping a movie so far. Am trying still. So, if you dont want to spend time in fiddling around, go with Dr.DivX. If you are of my type to fiddle around anything anywhere always, try VirtualDub or Nandub. VirtualDub for sure is a good freeware. Adding logo is a little bit involved process of requiring to edit and create scripts. But I can pass across the script if anyone is interested.

If you want to use Dr.DivX, life is easier. Click Video files and select the first VOB created as you did in DVD2AVI. It will add the remaining VOBs automatically. You will get a screen like this once picked the VOBs.

Now you need to pick the right file size and resolution. Click make 1 file or 2 files of appropriate size. Dr.DivX will fill in the resulting resolution and and file size automatically in the bottom. These are guidelines on the size. Select appropriately and click next. You get a screen like the one below.

Set the file name. Click Modify settings and you will get the next screen like the one shown will come up.

It will also preview the video. You can clip the video or add filters if you want to put in the geetham logo. There is a seperate post on how to add logo.

Select Advanced settings if you want to fiddle around to get better quality. You will get a screen like the one below.

Bit rate decides the quality of the ripped movie. If you want high quality and encoding video only, set the bitrate in the range of 900-1000 kbps. Another 400 kbps will be coming from Dolby audio. If you are using only MP3 audio, then you can increase the video bit rate to 1100-1200 as MP3 takes only 128 kbps.

Set the output to progressive. Performance/Quality decides the speed of encoding compromoise. If you set the standard, the movie encoding happens in 3-4 hours and slowest takes 20-24 hours. The quality of the resultant movie is better with more time. I normally set it to slow. Set the high motion filter slightly to high side if it is an action movie. Or set it to the other side.

There are key frame intervals, and scene change threshold which can be left alone. Now start encoding and get on with your other work. It will take minimum 3-4 hours to encode. Once finally done, you are all set if you have picked the audio in track itself in Dr.Divx. If not, or you want Dolby audio, you need to mix audio, as only video is encoded so far.

I use this software calle AVIMux. It is fairly easy one. It requires one Video track and one audio track. Download it from here Click Start the appilcation. You get a screen like this picture

Drag the video file created using Dr.DivX into the window and click Add video source. Drag and drop the audio track created by DVD2AVI. There is a field called Delay in this frame. It decides when the audio track starts in comparison to video track. This is the key to lip synchronisation. The delay is extracted by DVD2AVI and is embedded in the file name. In the example file in this post, the delay is 1568 ms. Enter that value in the delay field.

Click settings and AVI structure and make sure you click Frames check box as shown in the following picture.

You can also split the file into 2-3 based on the size. Click start and that is it you, will get a encoded avi file with audio and split accordingly.

Piece of cake, huh??? But it is fun fiddling around and when see the results and WOWs by the people who watch movie, you will feel all the effort is worth it. யான் பெற்ற இன்பம் பெறுக இவ்வையகம் :D :D

This is a first draft of the tutorial. I will be adding more as time passes.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

iyannaar anne,

danke for the nice explanation ! hope it helps many out there !

PS: A new Dr.Divx Version has been released. (July 15 2004)
    It does AC3 Surround sound detection and conversion too.
    makes life easier for the non-geeks out there like me :P

______________________________ ______________________

do u have that program..........or link for that program??
    நான் பெரிது நீ பெரிது என்று வாழாமல் நாடு பெரிது என்று வாழ்வோம்!

Thanks a lot for the tutorial....let me give a try....
    Un Kannil Neer Vazhinthal.....En Nenjil Uthiram Kotuthadi......

Closed Thread