6 75.00%
  • Definetely a Lover.

2 25.00%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Soul Mate

Default A Soul Mate

Everyone-

This is one of the topics I feel like to analyze. Share your thoughts on the same.

Most of you could think a soul mate is a spiritual entity, to be honest I feel its not, its like the rest of things like a friend or classmate or lover for the fact they may know little more about each other.

Personally I feel that A soul mate can be a friend and so does my vote.

Don't think its a hard topic or only certain people can talk, just bring it on board with what you think and feel free to share.

My vote..is for "Definitely a lover"........mmmm athu husband-a irukkalamla....

I couldn't share everything with my friend....... ana husband-a kandipa share pannalam..

So my soul mate is my hubby.......

I would have preferred a neutral option of no one, because a soul mate could be you yourself. Or may not feel like having one. There are many things one wont discuss with spouse/lover and many many things that may not be discussed with friends. So, the mere fact that some things are not left in the dark side means that both spouse and friend have limited accessibility to inner thoughts of an individual. More over the one's thoughts can be colored to suit that of a friend or spouse for the fear of alienating them. So given these things, I would have preferred a "No one" but since that is not there voted for lover.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyanaar
    I would have preferred a "No one" but since that is not there voted for lover.
    I know why you have voted for that... Illati veetu amma nalla mothuvanga ungala

Iyanaar wrote:

I would have preferred a "No one" but since that is not there voted for lover.

I know why you have voted for that... Illati veetu amma nalla mothuvanga ungala
    Lol athuvum seri thaan.

In my opinion, a soul mate need not be definitely related to you (As in the case of a lover/spouse). A soul mate can be urself, a friend or a lover. So my vote is for "can be a friend".

anainar:
    There are many things one wont discuss with spouse/lover and many many things that may not be discussed with friends.
    clearly says you cannot have a friend as a soulmate. I have a friend who happens to be a girl (not a spouse nor a lover, just a friend, but very very close friend). I discuss everything with her, things which I dont even think about telling my girl friend.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

yes.. a soul mate could be a friend whom you trust, whom you confide upon, with whom you feel like telling watever you want to, you understand each other just by looking into each others' eyes.. and in most cases that friend eventually becomes one's spouse..
    God is real unless declared integer.

I tend to agree with anainar that a true soul mate is simply near impossible...to be able to share all your inner most fears and self-doubts as well your wicked and darkest thoughts with another being and expect them to understand is very very difficult.

but then again a soul mate is a person who accepts you for who you are, and will tell you frankly what your faults are.

A soul mate is definitly a friend.

and as your "soul" evolves, you may require a different soul mates at different times in your life.
    The soul mate you had at the age of five may not comprehend you when you're 25, unless they eveolved in the same way as you did and had similar life experiences.

a friend....not a lover.

NB:
    they cannot become spouse, if they are the same gender as you.
    Hence not all soul mates can be your partners.

Blue.

Blues,

That was very thoughtfull.

Iyanaar,

Possibly I didn't give No one 'cause, Usually I have different situations to meet some people and they impressed in the way I look at it now...I feel it will evolve further as I grow older... So I didn't thought about No one. If its no one then its no one.

A Relationship defines a boundary, but in case of soulmates it could be beyond that, so i tend to think it could be friends.

My mind is all foggy today...

Just who exactly is a soul mate? And should it be a single person?

Is he/she some one who understands you thoroughly (my therapist?).. Who loves you unconditionally and accepts you as who you are (like, moms perhaps?).. Who stands by you in your time of trials and troubles (like may be your best friend or bro or sis?)...

I don't really know whom or what exactly we mean by soul mate... I am thoroughly muddled....

If a soul mate is also a person you should be romantically linked with (meaning if your 'soul' includes your romantic heart) then there can't be anyone other than your spouse (present or future or some other likely candidate.. :P ).... rrr.. normally.

sorry for being a dull head,

Vasan
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Hey Dull head,

Dictionary can say anything, but not necessarily the truth ... unless you experience 'em correcta? Thats why we are analyzing it with personal exposure.

Have some sleep or caffine which ever works for you

sri wrote,
    This is one of the topics I feel like to analyze. Share your thoughts on the same.
    I agree with vasan anna...to share our thoughts we need to understand the meaning of soul mate...some say its lover...some friend while some themself...so wat is the role of a soul mate??...isnt soul ur aathma??...ur innerself??

Quote Originally Posted by vasan

If a soul mate is also a person you should be romantically linked with (meaning if your 'soul' includes your romantic heart) then there can't be anyone other than your spouse (present or future or some other likely candidate.. :P ).... rrr.. normally.
    The definition varies from person to person...

:? why must they be romantically linked?

sometimes your soulmate (if a person of a different gender) is not the right person for you to spend your days with.

but a soul mate ...if one is lucky enough to have one....is definitely someone whom one feels 200% comfortable with...a person with whom you can be truly yourself warts and all.

Has anyone read "Anne of Green Gables", it is a children's book. However Anne describes a soul mate so beautifully in that book.

"a Kindred Spirit"

Blue.

but a soul mate ...if one is lucky enough to have one....is definitely someone whom one feels 200% comfortable with...a person with whom you can be truly yourself warts and all.
    Blue,
    If this is true...then u wud have more than 1 soul mate

If anne descibes a soulmate as "a Kindred Spirit" ...then a soul mate wud be just urself...coz am sure there wud be noone who wud agree with u in everything...if they do then they are not true to u ...am i confused :?

Achacho!!! So many confused souls around. :P :P :P

First and foremost romance is a big part of life and how many would be comfortable discussing their romantic life with some one who is not romantically associated with them? Can the friends group discuss their romantic life with their friends?

Also a soul mate does not have to agree with you on everything. You both can agree to disagree and move on. A husband-wife relationship is essentially that. Atleast I believe in that.

Mom being a soulmate also has loopholes. So, finally it boils down to oneself. I am absolutely comfortable discussing anything with me. I may agree or may not agree but I cannot seperate myself from me. So life goes.

Did I confuse every one more?? Mission accomplished

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

To be honest, I don't yet know what the dictionary says about soul mate.. give me a second.. The reliable Merriam-Webster defines
    Main Entry: soul mate
    Function: noun
    : a person temperamentally suited to another
    OED Online, the 'most-confooosing them all' do not have the word soulmate, but defines soul as
    1. The principle of life in man or animals; animate existence. Obs. (very useful.. v-)
    2. The principle of thought and action in man, commonly regarded as an entity distinct from the body; the spiritual part of man in contrast to the purely physical. Also occas., the corresponding or analogous principle in animals. Freq. in connexion with, or in contrast to, body.
    3. The seat of the emotions, feelings, or sentiments; the emotional part of man's nature.
    4. a. The emotional or spiritual quality of Black American life and culture, manifested esp. in music (see quot. 1973). (Hurray!! Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles.. !! :P )
    and adds...
    21. With the names of persons, etc. (chiefly agent-nouns), as soul carrier, -curer, -mate, -thief, -twister, etc. (and quotes.. v-)
    1822 COLERIDGE Lett., Convers., etc. II. 89 You must have a *Soulmate as well as a House or Yoke-mate. 1915 F. M. HUEFFER Good Soldier III. v. 202 He thought that Mrs Basil had been his *soulmate. 1976 BOTHAM & DONNELLY Valentino ix. 71 Convinced that he had found the woman who would be his life's soulmate.
    (Note: If you have not used the unabridged OED, please bear with me. Nothing to beat it. All my prior comments about OED are just to irk Bleu, which is currently ma fav pasttime.. :P :P )

Therefore, is soul be the seat of emotions, feelings and sentiments, and if a 'mate' is a noun with a soul as an agent (agent-noun, soul-mate), then my soulmate is some one who understands my feelings, emotions, and sentiments.

Kinda the person, who also cries at the same part of the movie. Whose sentimental heart beats for the same lines in a poem. Who falls into similar reverie upon chancing a rainbow, a flower, a baby... The person who would know the depth of your pain, and anguish, and can see the deepseated pleasure in your heart on a good thing... Yeah.. Like Bleu said.. Kindred Spirit is a good way of saying it.. Alter Ego.. too.. (spirit, soul, ego.. too many meta physical things... I was happy when the world has to worry about, mass, energy, force, temperature, and numbers and logic... )

If such a person is your soulmate, you could have several of them. On the other hand, if it includes romance (spiritual and physical), its hard to have some one other than your spouse, unless you are really really 'naugty'. Apart from the physical relationship part, I agree you can have soulmates other than your spouse..

some times people you have not met face to face, are and can be your soulmates too. If your definition can be stretched to include...

I fully go with Butterfly's statements, and think I might have many soul mates... (three of them, any of you can name, :P :P, if you can't you might want to watch Ayutha Ezhuththu once again.. )...

Vasan

ps: Another lateral thinking comment.. :P :P For Bleu and PQP, especially.. if you study in All Souls, and if you are in a rowing team, would your team mate be a Soul Mate..
    Literally... :P :P
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by anainar
    Achacho!!! So many confused souls around. :P :P :P

First and foremost romance is a big part of life and how many would be comfortable discussing their romantic life with some one who is not romantically associated with them? Can the friends group discuss their romantic life with their friends?

Also a soul mate does not have to agree with you on everything. You both can agree to disagree and move on. A husband-wife relationship is essentially that. Atleast I believe in that.

Mom being a soulmate also has loopholes. So, finally it boils down to oneself. I am absolutely comfortable discussing anything with me. I may agree or may not agree but I cannot seperate myself from me. So life goes.

Cheers

I totally talk to my soul mate about my non-exhisting romantic life
    not a problem.

no they do not have to agree on everything but they do understand each other, and they can be frank with each other.

I doubt I could be as frank with a partner as with my soul mate.

for married life is all about give and take ...and loads of compromise...and sometimes subterfuge (I don't actually have any experience of married life :? )

Butterfly,

yes I think we do have more than one soul mate.
    I do not see a soul mate as a static entity....I think as one matures and undergoes different experiences...are soul mate may have to change
    if they don't change with us ...then we just gotta acquire a different one...

In Fact Anne and Diana were "kindred SPririts" but towards the end ...Anne and Diana had moved on so much and grown so much appart ...that they were no longer "kindred spirits"

I frimly belive that they are more than one "kindred spirits" for each one of us :D

we obvioulsy feel comfortable with ourselves....well hopefully we do.

but soul mates ...is about a special relationship we have with another Athmaa.

It isn't our relationship with oneself.

Blue.

Iyanaar,

We know that you do the atmost for the Romance part... No one can argue with that.

But for that reason, the rest of the people will get confused na... thats not possible I guess.

I'm not sure how many has spent the time in knowing about others beyond the fellow human being... some people will definetely mean something to you the moment you open the conversation... Some time it could be a unreasonable talk we feel like telling it out and later you realize why did I told this to that person.. guess after a few yrs not meeting you will meet again and share even more...

Do you guys think its not possible?

To my knowledge there can be more than one soulmates, its just fact how much affection you show in response to others beyond the pretty smile...

More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by vasan
    Therefore, is soul be the seat of emotions, feelings and sentiments, and if a 'mate' is a noun with a soul as an agent (agent-noun, soul-mate), then my soulmate is some one who understands my feelings, emotions, and sentiments.

The person who would know the depth of your pain, and anguish, and can see the deepseated pleasure in your heart on a good thing... Kindred Spirit

If such a person is your soulmate, you could have several of them.

ps: Another lateral thinking comment.. :P :P For Bleu and PQP, especially.. if you study in All Souls, and if you are in a rowing team, would your team mate be a Soul Mate..
    Literally... :P :P

yes ...you can several Kindred Spirits ...in fact in the whole series of Anne books
    Anne comes accross many Kindred spirits.

And from personal experience I can tell you that I have more than one soul mate
    (only 2 but hey ...haven't seen much of the world yet ...and yet to meet more ppl )

Romantic linking of soul mates...well although possible ..is not an absolute requirement

married life will still be the same even if you're not soul mates.

Blue.

PS: rowing-mates of all souls

anainar wrote,
    ade pavame...idhu ungaluke nalla iruka

blue wrote,
    do not see a soul mate as a static entity....I think as one matures and undergoes different experiences...are soul mate may have to change
    if they don't change with us ...then we just gotta acquire a different one...
    U caught me there blue ... :? ...a soul mate is supposed to understand u & be there for u to confide...& then how can u all of a sudden feel he/she is not right & drop them like a hot potato ...so wat kind of relationship is that...

sri wrote,
    To my knowledge there can be more than one soulmates, its just fact how much affection you show in response to others beyond the pretty smile...
    wat do u mean by this statement sri ??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast