Grad School Admission/GRE/TOEFL/Asstsp Help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grad School Admission/GRE/TOEFL/Asstsp Help

Thanks yogesh.. just heard it from one other friend of mine, athaan kaetaeen.. but i understand ur point :D

Vasan...thanks much, i am learning a lot from u all :D.. preapp pathi solraen.. Any more will sure come and bug u all :D

Madhu, thanks da.. sure will do.. appuram professors contact pannina nalathu solra.. how will he know .. websitela prof info , i mean email contact ellam irukuma?? is that what ur saying???

Suryan, thanks much.. yes i too thought better be honest than get caught later. iruntha solavendiyathu thaan right :D . Yes, also told him to have his other options open too... :D

Thanks again u all :D

Shy
    I Geetham

yep kaaa...

School Websites will have a general compilation of all the Professors info. The template would be same .. i mean it would be like a resume of all the Prof's current research and investigations. The best and the simple way of contacting a prof is by email . He/she is busy enough to attend calls. If your bro is interested in a particular professor then he might do more hunting like finding out the students working under him and establishing contact with him/her .

Hope it helps
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

Thanks madhu !!! :D

Shy
    I Geetham

Just bumping this thread up. Need to add some more things on Assistantships and other related info.

Vasan

ps: Teacher, I just edited the thread title to read as US Grad School Admissions (GRE/TOEFL/Assistantships).. Hope you won't mind..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

will write more tomorrow.. ippo half asleep..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

No problem at all Vasan

Thanks to you !!!

Shy
    I Geetham

Vasan

Ur information to shy was very useful to me too

actually i have dun masters in biochemistry and i tried for job here even though i am eligible to work in US legally but i didnt get any job, currently i am working as a volunteer.
    so i thought of doing MS or to work as a research associate in any universities.
    i kept on mailing to diff professors in diff universities but everyone said they had no openings
    one of my friend who s doing MS (engg) after completing GRE said that i have to go personally and meet people for any opportunities.
    Also i tried to prepare for GRE but i am vey poor in math, my hubby helped me teaching, but my pick up is so slow, i think i have to practise a lot, only then i can answer all the tricky questions being asked n the exam within the time.
    Hmmmm now i am not pracitising it :-(

can u suggest me any ideas related or apart from this, i feel watever i have studied is getting wasted. somehow or the other i have to study here or work.

I appreciate response from others too!!!!!

thanks

Vasan,

Even I am waiting for you to complete and ask to disturb u further.
    If you can give some more info rather than masters and also for further studies, assisstanship, time of application and all other useful info will be very helpful

Waiting for you to complete.
    தீயினால் சுட்ட புண் உள்ளாறும் ஆறாதே நாவினால் சுட்ட வடு - திருவள்ளுவ ர்

Sanravi,
    what is the current educational qualification you have so far ? and what field are you interested ? are you a perm resident or in some non-immigrant visa status ? you MS in Biochem, did you do it in the US ?
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

IIG..

Apart from masters, i have a year of research experience where i did only basic research, so not even fully involved, i didnt learn much of the techniques too.
    Initially i thought of doing Ph.D but now since i am married i have look up my family, so i feel doing PhD is difficult,cos u have to keep on thinking abt ur work rather than ur home.
    so i thought of just doing as an assistanship initially and if i feel comfortable i thought of proceeding further. also wen i do the assistanship, my guide may let me to do lots of work so that i can learn a lot and get in touch with techniques and other stuffs.

i dont know wat else i shd furnish
    if u have any questions apart from these specifially, pls let me know, i will answer them.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iig View Post
    Vasan,

Even I am waiting for you to complete and ask to disturb u further.
    If you can give some more info rather than masters and also for further studies, assisstanship, time of application and all other useful info will be very helpful

Waiting for you to complete.

hi ns80

My Current qualification is M.Sc Biochemistry and that i did in india. i neither have work exp or nor have studied here in US.
    also i m not a permanent resident, jus came 1 yr back.I am in H4 where i am permitted tos tudy na dnot to work, if i need to work i will not be paid.
    I am basically interested n life science stream, so i can switch to biotech also.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ns80 View Post
    Sanravi,
    what is the current educational qualification you have so far ? and what field are you interested ? are you a perm resident or in some non-immigrant visa status ? you MS in Biochem, did you do it in the US ?

Will write back more later today people. Sorry for keeping you waiting..

v-
    Short Measures

how did i miss this post now

thanks a lot for the info:D
    Though you are a past Dream,I'm still wandering in that Dream....

Minnal..

Subscribe to this thread and keep an eye on it. You might find some useful info soon.

v-
    Short Measures

why nobody is giving me any suggestions, waiting for ur replies pa

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post
    Minnal..

Subscribe to this thread and keep an eye on it. You might find some useful info soon.

v-
    Oh sure thaatha :D
    Though you are a past Dream,I'm still wandering in that Dream....

Quote Originally Posted by sanravi_1970 View Post
    why nobody is giving me any suggestions, waiting for ur replies pa
    San, I think you misunderstood my post above. I was asking in general for further studies like Ph.d. after Masters for some useful souls like me.

And I am also eagerly waiting for more details regarding US as i am as of now no way connected to US studies

Sorry I cannot help. May be few can give you few tips.

All the very best.
    தீயினால் சுட்ட புண் உள்ளாறும் ஆறாதே நாவினால் சுட்ட வடு - திருவள்ளுவ ர்

Sanravi,
    Actually I dont have much idea related to your stream. I remember hearing from my friend that one person did a MS in Physics in US, she already had a MSc Physics in India.

The best solution for your situation is to explore the universities in the city you live. First see the requirements for Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering Departments (I mean GRE, TOEFL, acads etc). Since you've just lived a year in the US, TOEFL would be required I suppose. It is mostly the state universities that have funds for assistantship, and I dont know if state universities accept admissions without a GRE score. Am not sure specifically for Life Sciences, you should check the specific university websites.

Once you have a fair list of universities, you can schedule an appointment with the graduate coordinator and few professors matching your interest and talk to them about your admission (spec requirements, is there any requirement that can be waived or whatever). After you do some talking you'll have a better idea than what you feel now as for your next plan of action (whether to take GRE or not/TOEFL or not / directly apply).

I remember a site gradschools.com that has a list of univs that offer graduate programs. There are a lot more sites if you google.

thatha (vasan) will have a better idea, he is from CA where H4 -> F1 is not a new thing.
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

Quote Originally Posted by iig View Post
    San, I think you misunderstood my post above. I was asking in general for further studies like Ph.d. after Masters for some useful souls like me.

And I am also eagerly waiting for more details regarding US as i am as of now no way connected to US studies

Sorry I cannot help. May be few can give you few tips.

All the very best.
    ok iig, thanks. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ns80 View Post
    Sanravi,
    Actually I dont have much idea related to your stream. I remember hearing from my friend that one person did a MS in Physics in US, she already had a MSc Physics in India.

The best solution for your situation is to explore the universities in the city you live. First see the requirements for Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering Departments (I mean GRE, TOEFL, acads etc). Since you've just lived a year in the US, TOEFL would be required I suppose. It is mostly the state universities that have funds for assistantship, and I dont know if state universities accept admissions without a GRE score. Am not sure specifically for Life Sciences, you should check the specific university websites.

Once you have a fair list of universities, you can schedule an appointment with the graduate coordinator and few professors matching your interest and talk to them about your admission (spec requirements, is there any requirement that can be waived or whatever). After you do some talking you'll have a better idea than what you feel now as for your next plan of action (whether to take GRE or not/TOEFL or not / directly apply).

I remember a site gradschools.com that has a list of univs that offer graduate programs. There are a lot more sites if you google.

thatha (vasan) will have a better idea, he is from CA where H4 -> F1 is not a new thing.
    ns...thanks for ur reply, my final decision as of now is i have to go to nearby univ and enquire in person...only then i can get some idea as u say...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast