Words of the Bible !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Words of the Bible !

Default Words of the Bible !

[highlight=#a300ff:23478fcce5]Words of the Bible ![/highlight:23478fcce5]

எல்லா புகழும் இறைவனுக்கே !

God Bless us all

Blessed are we, who are born in this world as humans.
    Even blessed are those who get the oppurtunity to hear good words.
    Good words imbibe good thoughts in us and lead to good actions.

It has been my long standing desire to explore the niceties of the Holy Bible
    for everyone to rejoice !

Many of us have a variety of trials and tribulations all through
    their worldly lives. At those troubled times, respite comes in the
    name of the Lord.

Lets hope this is a rewarding exercise for everyone involved.

With those words, I kneel before Almighty and invite one and all
    interested in savoring the Lord's love and share thy knowledge with us.
    Let us seek the sacred heart of Jesus and his love !

In days to come we will start with the various gospels, psalms
    from New & Old Testaments. Praise the Lord !

Please bring forth your favorite verses too and let us relish them all
    together with friends.

Thanks

Ungal
    -Victor

Thanks for starting a wonderful new topic Vic. (Wow.. :P :P Really a great idea, Vic..:P)

I am sure this will be an inspiration to look deeply into the words and wisdom of Jesus Christ.

And certain that this would definitely be a rewarding for all the participants.

Will talk about some of my favourite sayings from the Bible.

Vasan
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Psalm 66:6

"He turned the sea into dry land; they went through the flood on foot; there did we rejoice in him."

It is a striking assertion, "through the floods" (the place where we might have expected nothing but trembling and terror, anguish and dismay) "there", says the Psalmist, "did we rejoice in him!"

How many there are who can endorse this as their experience: that "there," in their very seasons of distress and sadness, they have been enabled, as they never did before, to triumph and rejoice.

How near their God in covenant is brought! How brightly shine His promises! In the day of our prosperity we cannot see the brilliancy of these. Like the sun at noon, hiding out the stars from sight, they are indiscernible; but when night overtakes, the deep, dark night of sorrow, out come these clustering stars - blessed constellations of Bible hope and promise of consolation.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

Good Topic Vennai ...

In days to come we will start with the various gospels, psalms
    from New & Old Testaments. Praise the Lord !
    Let me start with genesis then

Genesis 24

The chapter which taught me about faith & submission to the will of God @ times of confusion

A beautifull Love story ...
    For ppl who know the story just concentrate on verse 58

1 And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 And I will make thee swear by the Lord, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

4 But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

5 And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest?

6 And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again.

7 The Lord God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence.

8 And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again.

9 And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter.

10 And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor.

11 And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, even the time that women go out to draw water.

12 And he said O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.

13 Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:

14 And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.

15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.

16 And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.

17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.

18 And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink.

19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.

20 And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.

21 And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the Lord had made his journey prosperous or not.

22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold;

23 And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?

24 And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.

25 She said moreover unto him, We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.

26 And the man bowed down his head, and worshipped the Lord.

27 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the Lord led me to the house of my master's brethren.

28 And the damsel ran, and told them of her mother's house these things.

29 And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban: and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the well.

30 And it came to pass, when he saw the earring and bracelets upon his sister's hands, and when he heard the words of Rebekah his sister, saying, Thus spake the man unto me; that he came unto the man; and, behold, he stood by the camels at the well.

31 And he said, Come in, thou blessed of the Lord; wherefore standest thou without? for I have prepared the house, and room for the camels.

32 And the man came into the house: and he ungirded his camels, and gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet, and the men's feet that were with him.

33 And there was set meat before him to eat: but he said, I will not eat, until I have told mine errand. And he said, Speak on.

34 And he said, I am Abraham's servant.

35 And the Lord hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great: and he hath given him flocks, and herds, and silver, and gold, and menservants, and maidservants, and camels, and asses.

36 And Sarah my master's wife bare a son to my master when she was old: and unto him hath he given all that he hath.

37 And my master made me swear, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife to my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I dwell:

38 But thou shalt go unto my father's house, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son.

39 And I said unto my master, Peradventure the woman will not follow me.

40 And he said unto me, The Lord, before whom I walk, will send his angel with thee, and prosper thy way; and thou shalt take a wife for my son of my kindred, and of my father's house:

41 Then shalt thou be clear from this my oath, when thou comest to my kindred; and if they give not thee one, thou shalt be clear from my oath.

42 And I came this day unto the well, and said, O Lord God of my master Abraham, if now thou do prosper my way which I go:

43 Behold, I stand by the well of water; and it shall come to pass, that when the virgin cometh forth to draw water, and I say to her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher to drink;

44 And she say to me, Both drink thou, and I will also draw for thy camels: let the same be the woman whom the Lord hath appointed out for my master's son.

45 And before I had done speaking in mine heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the well, and drew water: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee.

46 And she made haste, and let down her pitcher from her shoulder, and said, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: so I drank, and she made the camels drink also.

47 And I asked her, and said, Whose daughter art thou? And she said, the daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bare unto him: and I put the earring upon her face, and the bracelets upon her hands.

48 And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the Lord, and blessed the Lord God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter unto his son.

49 And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me: and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.

50 Then Laban and Bethuel answered and said, The thing proceedeth from the Lord: we cannot speak unto thee bad or good.

51 Behold, Rebekah is before thee, take her, and go, and let her be thy master's son's wife, as the Lord hath spoken.

52 And it came to pass, that, when Abraham's servant heard their words, he worshipped the Lord, bowing himself to the earth.

53 And the servant brought forth jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment, and gave them to Rebekah: he gave also to her brother and to her mother precious things.

54 And they did eat and drink, he and the men that were with him, and tarried all night; and they rose up in the morning, and he said, Send me away unto my master.

55 And her brother and her mother said, Let the damsel abide with us a few days, at the least ten; after that she shall go.

56 And he said unto them, Hinder me not, seeing the Lord hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master.

57 And they said, We will call the damsel, and enquire at her mouth.

58 And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go.

59 And they sent away Rebekah their sister, and her nurse, and Abraham's servant, and his men.

60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou art our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them.

61 And Rebekah arose, and her damsels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man: and the servant took Rebekah, and went his way.

62 And Isaac came from the way of the well Lahairoi; for he dwelt in the south country.

63 And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels were coming.

64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.

65 For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.

66 And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done.

67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

This verse inspired me

And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go.
    How many of us have such blind faith?...how many of us say Yes to God's will?...we often doubt the will of God & question Him ...& even try running away fear of the unknown or our own commitments...but God's plan always succeeds & God has peculiar ways in fufilling His will

I naturally went to the Love Story part, right away.... :P :P Cute.. :P

Nice one, butterfly. Blind faith? mm.. More like a complete trust, you mean? Because Rebekah seems to have listened to that old friend of Abraham's, and trusted him implicitly..

Trusting God need not be blind. Some times Gods ways are mysterious, but God is always the same. His love is what you trust, and that doesn't change, right? Go wherever he takes you, trusting, He will protect and care.

Not trying to contradict you, Pattampoochi.. Just thinking aloud. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks GCB & Pattampoochi, for the inspirational words.. :P

Vasan
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

It is a striking assertion, "through the floods" (the place where we might have expected nothing but trembling and terror, anguish and dismay) "there", says the Psalmist, "did we rejoice in him!"
    very hard to do GCB...but guess we can try

Not trying to contradict you, Pattampoochi.. Just thinking aloud. Hope you don't mind.
    No Problemo ...isnt this wat this thread is supposed to be for ...to think aloud & discuss

Nice one, butterfly. Blind faith? mm.. More like a complete trust, you mean? Because Rebekah seems to have listened to that old friend of Abraham's, and trusted him implicitly..
    I put it has blind faith coz...she hasnt met abraham or isaac...all she knows is this person standing in front of her asking her if she wud go with him?..to marry his master's son....so she hasnt had a chance to trust them...so isnt by faith she is saying yes...I believe the spirit of God was with her ...

Something I read today which kept me thinking...wanted to share it with all of u

The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.
    ISAIAH 40:8 NIV

How important is it to write out our thoughts and feelings? I’m so glad God decided to put His thoughts and feelings into the written word! I love to know that He thinks about us constantly and carries us in the palm of His hand. I’m thrilled to learn about His character and read about the experiences others have had in His presence. Words have power—and we have the privilege of preserving them in our journals every day.

When we take time to record memories, journal our prayers, and write down our thoughts, we truly give ourselves a gift to be opened over and over again. We can recall times of laughter, be encouraged by God’s faithfulness in difficult situations, and feel a sense of comfort by expressing and managing the emotions He’s given to us. It feels good to revisit the joys and even the struggles in our lives, because God is working in us and building our trust through every circumstance. We never outgrow His gentle and wise instruction. We never graduate from the learning process.

As another school year begins, we might all use it as a little nudge to begin an ‘essay’ on the days God gives us on earth. No due dates, no grading scales, simply an opportunity to appreciate the gift of the written word—and a chance to allow God to encourage our hearts and remind us of His unconditional love and continued faithfulness. Our journals can become one of our favorite reads…and perhaps one of our greatest teachers.

Bonnie Jensen

As another school year begins, we might all use it as a little nudge to begin an ‘essay’ on the days God gives us on earth.
    Hm... Something to be considered.. I think..

Quite a worthwhile task.

Thanks, Pattampoochi..

v-
    Short Measures

A very nice topic vennai!!

The following words were taken from Paul's second letter to Timothy.

"If we have died with him
    ..we shall also live with him.
    If we continue to endure,
    ...we shall also rule with him.
    If we deny him,
    ...he also will deny us
    If we are not faithful,
    ...he remains faithful,
    ...because he cannot be false to himself."

Sometimes when I find it really hard to see the point of praying I read these words.

Ferny

Nice one Ferns. I took a print out and pinned it in my cube
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

Right after these words.. Paul continues.. :

"Keep reminding them of these things !"

How very appropriate.. ! Thanks for reminding us, Ferns !

God is faithful, for he cannot be false to himself, is one of the most encouraging words. To know that God's faithfulness to his promises aren't dependent on our feeble efforts..

Vasan
    Short Measures

"If we have died with him
    ..we shall also live with him.
    If we continue to endure,
    ...we shall also rule with him.
    If we deny him,
    ...he also will deny us
    If we are not faithful,
    ...he remains faithful,
    ...because he cannot be false to himself."
    Right after these words.. Paul continues.. :

"Keep reminding them of these things !"

quite true.
    A Prayer is a great thing ! It helps one perceive the eternal light.
    The very thought of the Lord purifies one's mind and matter
    as his pristine flow of love towards us is the cause for all jubiliation.

One has to keep reminding himself/herself that joy comes in the Lord's
    Holy name and He is always there for us, even for those who dont faith
    their heart in Him as all of us are his sons and daughters.

Thanks ferny that is one of the verses we love to overstate everytime
    we get a chance.

______________________________ ___________________

I am glad there are lot of interested friends out here to relish
    the Lord's Words. We will try to keep it going. The floor is open
    for all your favorite verses.
    So let the divine niceties flow.

(vasan, butterfly,ferny, goodcomplanboy -- thanks and keep it going ! )

pattams, special thanks for all those verses ! need a calm reading again

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his inner being shall flow rivers of living water - John 7:38

Some of us are shivering and wondering why the Holy Spirit does not fill us. We have plenty coming in, but we do not give it out. Give out the blessing that you have, start larger plans for service and blessing, and you will soon find that the Holy Spirit is before you, and He will present you with blessings for eservice, and give you all that He can trust you to give away to others.

There is a beautiful fact in nature which has its spiritual parallels. There is no music so heavenly as an Aeolian harp and the Aeolian harp is nothing but a set of musical chords arranged in harmony and the left to be touched by the unseen fingers of the wandering winds. And as the breath of heaven floats over the chords, it is said that notes almost Divine float out upon the air, as if a choir of angels were wandering around and touching the strings.

And so it is possible to keep our hearts so open to the touch of the Holy Spirit that He can play upon them at will, as we quitely wait in the pathway of His service.

When the apostles received the baptism with the Holy Spirit, they did not rent the upper room and stay there to hold holiness meetings, but went everywhere preaching the gospel.

"If I have eaten my morsel alone,
    The patriarch spoke with scorn;
    What would he think of the Church were he shown
    Heathendom - huge, forlorn,
    Godless, Christless, with soul unfed,
    While the Church's ailment is fullness of bread,
    Eating her morsel alone?

Freely ye have received, so give,
    He bade, who hath given us all.
    How shall the soul in us longer live
    Deaf to their starving call,
    For whom the blood of the Lord was shed,
    And His body broken to give them bread,
    If we eat our morsel alone!"
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

Quote Originally Posted by goodcomplanboy
    He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his inner being shall flow rivers of living water - John 7:38

Yes GCBoy, it is the words from the savior himself !
    One of those lines that mark their spell on us and is accentuated most
    of the time.

Thinking of which, we must be thankful for the very meal and water
    we are given everyday as it is from Him and His love which provides
    us - His sons and daughters our daily meal.

Let us share His love with our friends and dear ones all time
    and thank the holy spirit for protecting us for all dangers.

Thanks GCBoy for those thoughts.
    Butterfly you are welcome too to write your favorite words
    and all other geetham friends too.

Please keep the bible thoughts coming friends,
    requesting all believers with love to come forward and
    enliven His words !

Some of us are shivering and wondering why the Holy Spirit does not fill us. We have plenty coming in, but we do not give it out. Give out the blessing that you have, start larger plans for service and blessing, and you will soon find that the Holy Spirit is before you, and He will present you with blessings for eservice, and give you all that He can trust you to give away to others.

So true GCB...Thanks for reminding

Vennai,
    waiting to hear God's words thru u too...words to enrich & encourage

Here are Some more promises which I enjoy

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3,

Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. 1 John 3:21-22

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:11

But God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me! Psalm 66:19-20

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7
    Loved reading that quote butterfly!! Thanks for highlighting it. I felt moody the whole day and when I ready your quote I felt so empowered. thanks

Ferny

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. 17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20 So he got up and went to his father. "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. '

22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

25 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "

Courtesy of International Bible Society and http://www.biblegateway.com/ (Luke 15)

What bothers me most when I fail? Is it the disgusting feeling of messing up yet again, or the frustration of not mastering my impulses? What does keep me from 'sinning' again and again? The fear of punishment?

In one of the most celebrated parables, Jesus spoke about failure and heart break and mending a relationship. The prodigal son failed - not because he squandered all his wealth away - but mainly because he ran away from his father. My failure is not just because I indulge in (often repeatedly) things I ought not to be doing.. but in running away from the relationship we have with God. What should offend me most, when I fail, is the betrayal of trust God has in me. What I should grieve really is the broken relationship with God. That and the dependence on God's grace is what would keep me from sinning repeatedly.

Who hasn't failed in his or her life? But that needn't hold us from coming back to God for the repair of our relationship. The prodigal kid knew that he did the wrong thing - and he came back to his father begging him to reinstate in some relationship - as he was not worthy of being his father's son. His father - talked nothing of his failures and life time of squandering - but just embraced him with warmth and restored him..

Some how every time I read this passage, it is more eloquent and meaningful than I understood before. And everytime it comforts me to know that, what God values most is the relationship I have with him.. and that failures need not be the end of my story. What would I be, but a vagrant and lost soul, except for his forgiveness and mercy !!

v-
    Short Measures

Thats one of the most spoke parable Mr.v-. Nice one to know that God always looks for you to return. You just have to turn towards him.

Thanks for sharing v-.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

Sometimes it is very hard to live by faith. I think more and more people are driven by rewards, profits; in general a hope of something in return. I'm not sure if others feel the same...but I find it hard to leave everything up to god. If anything bad happens to me...its hard to just say that it is for the best; that god teaches me something important in every page of my life. It is hard to watch others reap success after success without doubting your own faith. I try to be as faithful as I possibly can so then where is God to help me when I need him? Why then should I continue living by faith??

The following is a passage from Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians. It is dedicated to those of you plagued by the same questions that I am. I hope it helps

We who have the spiritual treasure are like common clay pots, in order to show that the supreme power belongs to God, not to us. We are often troubled but not crushed; sometimes in doubt, but never in despair; there are many enemies, but we are never without a friend; and though badly hurt at times we are not destroyed.

We must never become discouraged. Even though our physical being is gradually decaying, yet our spiritual being is renewed day after day. And this small and temporary trouble we suffer will bring us a tremendous and eternal glory much greater than the trouble. For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts for ever.

Ferny

We must never become discouraged. Even though our physical being is gradually decaying, yet our spiritual being is renewed day after day. And this small and temporary trouble we suffer will bring us a tremendous and eternal glory much greater than the trouble. For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts for ever.
    Thanks Ferny ...sometimes we place our trust in wrong places & then blame ourself for it & feel miserable about it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast