Words of the Bible ! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Words of the Bible !

Why Is Sin So Bad?

"He was wounded for our transgressions." - Isaiah 53:5

Pain. Abject, horrible, excruciating pain. Unrelenting, unbearable, unspeakable pain. With each slash across Jesus' back and with every muscle-burning step up Golgotha's hill, our Savior received the punishment for our sin.

In our let's-make-everything-okay world we often look at sin and wonder, what's the big deal? After all, our sin isn't so bad. If we lie a little or cheat just a bit - what's the harm? If we gossip some or use coarse language a few times - whom will it hurt? What's so bad about sin?

It's bad because of what it put Jesus through. Yes, our sin was the reason for the torment Jesus suffered as He made His way to the cross - and as He hung on that cross and ultimately died a horrific death.

Of course we can never undo what has been done; that pain can never be reversed. Yet we must understand that if we continue to sin knowingly, we are in effect turning our back on Jesus and His pain. It's as if we're saying that it doesn't matter to us what we put Jesus through, we're going to do what we want. To sin in the light of the cross is to tell Jesus that even His intense suffering has not taught us about the awfulness of sin.

Why is sin so bad? Look what it did to Jesus. - Dave Branon

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
    Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
    Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
    Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."
    - Deuteronomy 33:27

In the tender song of Moses found in today's Bible reading, God is portrayed as a dedicated mother eagle who can be trusted by her young, even in the scary experience of their learning to fly (Deuteronomy 32:11-12).

A mother eagle builds a comfortable nest for her young, padding it with feathers from her own breast. But the God-given instinct that builds that secure nest also forces the eaglets out of it before long. Eagles are made to fly, and the mother eagle will not fail to teach them. Only then will they become what they are meant to be.

So one day the mother eagle will disturb the twigs of the nest, making it an uncomfortable place to stay. Then she will pick up a perplexed eaglet, soar into the sky, and drop it. The little bird will begin to free-fall. Where is Mama now? She is not far away. Quickly she will swoop under and catch the fledgling on one strong wing. She will repeat this exercise until each eaglet is capable of flying on its own.

Are you afraid of free-falling, unsure of where or how hard you will land? Remember, God will fly to your rescue and spread His everlasting arms beneath you. He will also teach you something new and wonderful through it. Falling into God's arms is nothing to be afraid of. - Joanie Yoder

"He will ever keep your soul,
    What would harm, He will control;
    In the home and by the way
    He will keep you day by day."
    -Psalter

God's love does not keep us from trials but sees us through them.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

By the Rivers of Babylon !

Psalm 137 was written by a group of singers who were captured from their country and taken as slaves. Their new masters - the army, people of Babylon - asked them to sing some songs of Zion (or Israel) and the response was this song.

How do you sing the songs of joy when you are depressed? Songs celebrating the love of God while you feel let down or neglected? How can you put on a happy face, when all you could do is to try not to break down before every one? How could we smile when all we want to say is: Why God? Why me? Why now? Why this? And for the rest of the world and ourselves, we have no answers. No strength to sing the songs of Zion in Babylon.

Its amazing how true this captures moments of desolation in our lives. The psalm in fact does not explain or give any encouragement. It simply seems to make you cry - just break down and lament.

Yes. Desolation, loneliness, and sorrow are not new. And while God does not necessarily say why this happens, He does want us to know that He sees our broken spirit - and understands the pain of our hearts. So much so that, as a record, He did inspire this song.

God knows my sorrow. He knows why I feel depressed, angry, upset, and soooo.. alone. I don't see Him drying my tears - but I hear this song.. By the Rivers of Babylon... We sat down and wept - and God being faithful, hears my crying and my anguish.

God knows me. God hears me. God sees my tears. And God loves me.

Psalm 137

By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
    when we remembered Zion.

There on the poplars
    we hung our harps,

for there our captors asked us for songs,
    our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
    they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"

How can we sing the songs of the LORD
    while in a foreign land?

If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
    may my right hand forget its skill .

May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
    if I do not remember you,
    if I do not consider Jerusalem
    my highest joy.
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Orange Peels
    =========

"Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall."
    —1 Corinthians 10:12

Back in 1911, a stuntman named Bobby Leach went over Niagara Falls in a specially designed steel drum—and lived to tell about it. Although he suffered minor injuries, he survived because he recognized the tremendous dangers involved in the feat, and he had done everything he could to protect himself from harm.

Several years later, while walking down a street in New Zealand, Bobby Leach slipped on an orange peel, fell, and badly fractured his leg. He was taken to a hospital where he died of complications from that fall. He received a greater injury walking down the street than he sustained in going over Niagara Falls. He was not prepared for danger in what he assumed to be a safe situation.

Some of the great temptations that roar around us like the rushing waters of Niagara will leave us unharmed, while a small, seemingly insignificant incident may cause our downfall. Why? We simply become careless and do not recognize the potential danger. We mistakenly think we are secure (1 Corinthians 10:12).

We must always be on guard against temptation. A victorious Christian is an alert Christian who watches out even for those little "orange peels." —Richard De Haan

Take the name of Jesus ever
    As a shield from every snare;
    If temptations round you gather,
    Breathe that holy name in prayer. —Baxter

Whenever we fall, it is usually at the point where we think we are strong.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

Thanks, GCB..

Enna our daily bread-la kooda, Niagara falls-nnu vara pages thaan poduveengalo? :P

v- :D
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Enna our daily bread-la kooda, Niagara falls-nnu vara pages thaan poduveengalo?
    good catch
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

Our Times Are In His Hands

Anyone who is familiar with the story of Alice In Wonderland will probably remember this quote, “I’m late, I’m late for a very important date.” All of us are impacted by time, appointments, schedules, days, and dates. Calendars have been a great tool to help us remember what day it is, what’s coming up in our schedules, and what important matters will need our attention. At the end of each year, a calendar is like an album containing little snapshots of what we’ve done and where we’ve been.

At home, our family has one simple rule, “Write everything down in pencil.” One important lesson a calendar teaches us is that plans can change. Doctor’s appointments get canceled, dinner dates get rescheduled, and anticipated events don’t work out. Thankfully, that doesn’t mean that our lives are out of control, that nothing is certain, and that there’s nothing we can trust in.

The Bible tells us that our times are in God’s hands. That means that God is bigger than time, dates, and appointments. God’s plans for your life do not hinge on someone else’s schedule. God’s plans for your life cannot be frustrated by what others do or don’t do. God knows where you’ve been, He knows where you are, and He knows where He is leading you. His plans for you are made according to His wisdom, His love, and His power to perform them.

God wants you to move through this day with a quiet heart, an inward assurance that He is in control, a peaceful certainty that your life is in His hands, a deep trust in His plan and purposes, and a thankful disposition toward all that He allows. He wants you to put your faith in Him, not in a timetable. He wants you to wait on Him and wait for Him. In His perfect way He will put everything together...see to every detail...arrange every circumstance...and order every step to bring to pass what He has for you.

Thanks to Daysprings.com

nice one Pattams. Thanks for sharing
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

God wants you to move through this day with a quiet heart, an inward assurance that He is in control

Thank you Pattampoochi.. Quite reassuring..

v-
    Short Measures

A Nighttime Prayer...
    Interrupted by God

My Dear Father in Heaven...
    * YES?

Don't interrupt me. I'm praying.
    * But you called Me.

Called You? I didn't call You. I'm praying...
    My Dear Father in Heaven...
    * There, you did it again.

Did what?
    * Called me. You said, "My Dear Father in Heaven." Here I am. What's on your mind?

But I didn't mean anything by it. I was just, You know, saying my prayers for the night.
    I always say my prayers. It makes me feel good, kind of like getting my duty done.
    * Oh. All Right. Go on.

I'm thankful for my many blessings...
    * Hold it. How thankful?

What?
    * How thankful are you for your "Many blessings?"

I'm... well... I don't know. How should I know? It's just part of the prayer. Everyone always said that I should express my thanks.
    * Oh well. You're welcome. Go ahead...

Go ahead?
    * With the prayer.

Oh yeah. Let's see... bless the poor and the sick and the needy and the afflicted...
    * Do you really mean that?

Well, sure I mean it.
    * What are you doing about it?

Doing? Who, me? Nothing. I guess. I just think that it would be kind of nice if You got control of things down here like You have up there, so people don't have to suffer so.
    * Have I got control of you?

Well I go to church, I pay my tithing, I don't...
    * That isn't what I asked you. What about your temper? You have a problem there, and your friends and family suffer. And then there's the way you spend your money... all on yourself. And how about the kinds of books you read?

Stop picking on me. I'm just as good as some of the rest of those I see every Sunday at church.
    * Excuse Me. I thought you were praying for me to bless the needy. If that is going to happen, I'll have to have help from the ones who are praying for it... like you.

All right. I guess that I have a few hang-ups, now that You mention it. I could probably mention some others.
    * So could I.

Look, Father. I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than usual. Bless the missionaries to be led to the doors of the honest in heart.
    * You mean people like Ralph?

Ralph?
    * Yes, the guy around the corner.

"That" Ralph... but he smokes and drinks and never goes to church.
    * Have you ever looked in his heart lately?

Of course not. How can...
    * I have. I looked. And it's one of those honest hearts you were just praying about.

O.K. then, get the missionaries over there. Do you think I like having a non-member for a neighbor?
    * Aren't you supposed to be a missionary? I thought I made that pretty clear.

Hey, wait a minute. What is this? Criticize "me" day? Here I am, doing my duty, keeping your commandments to pray. And all of a sudden you break in and start reminding me of all my problems.
    * Well, you called Me. And here I am. Keep on praying. I'm interested in this next part. You haven't changed the order around have you? Go on...

I don't want to.
    * Why not?

I know what You'll say.
    * Try Me and see.

Please forgive me of all my sins... and help me to forgive others.
    * What about Bill?

See. I knew it. I knew you'd bring him up. Listen Lord, he told lies about me, and I got fired. All my co-workers think I'm a first class creep, and I didn't do anything. I'm going to get even with him!
    * But your prayers. What about your prayers?

I didn't mean it.
    * Well, at least you're honest. I guess you enjoy carrying that load of bitterness around, don't you?

No, I don't. But I'll feel better as soon as I get even.
    * Do you want to know a secret?

What secret?
    * You won't feel better. You'll feel worse. Listen to me. You forgive Bill and I'll forgive you.

But Lord, I can't forgive Bill.
    * Then I cannot forgive you.

No matter what?
    * No matter what.
    But you're not through with your prayer yet. Go on.

Oh all right... please help me to control my feelings and not yield to temptations.
    * Good. Good. I'll do just that. But you stop putting yourself in all those places where you can be tempted.

What do you mean by that?
    * Quit hanging around the magazine racks and spending so much time in front of the tube. Some of that stuff is going to get to you sooner or later. You'll find yourself involved in some terrible things before long... and don't use me for an escape hatch either.

An escape hatch? I don't understand.

* Sure you do. You've done it lots of times -- you find yourself in a crisis situation, then you come running to me. "Lord, help me out of this mess and I promise I'll never do it again." It's amazing how the quality and intensity of your prayers improve when you are in trouble. Do you remember some of those bargains you tried to make with me?

Well I don't think... Oh... yeah... like the time Mom's visiting teacher saw me coming out of that movie about... Oh brother...
    * Do you remember your prayer? I do. "Oh God. Don't let her tell my mother where I've been. I promise I'll go to nothing but "G" rated movies from now on. She didn't tell your mother, but you didn't keep your promise. Did you?

No Lord, I didn't. I'm sorry.
    * So am I. Go ahead and finish your prayer.

Wait a minute. I want to ask you a question. Do you always listen to my prayers?
    * Every word. Every time.

Then how come you never talked back to me before?
    * How many chances have you given me? There's not enough time between your "Amens" and your head hitting the pillow for me to draw a breath. How am I supposed to give an answer?

You could, if you really wanted to.
    * No. I could if *you* really wanted Me to. Child, I always want to.

Father, I am sorry. Will you forgive me?
    * I already have. And thanks for letting me interrupt. I get lonely to talk to you sometimes. Goodnight. I love you.

Good night, and I love You too.

Thanks to crossdaily.com

Nice one Pattams. How true that sometimes I just say my prayer for the sake of saying it This post, definitely revealed my mistake. Thanks

You know what, this is how God lets you know messages. This is really helpful for me Pattams. Thanks again.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

Have read something similar before, but it was refreshing to read again.. :D

Thanks Pattams..

v-
    Short Measures

I was just thinking it's probably a good thing I have a monologue with the almighty at the mo.....
    a good reminder B'fly

blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Hand Delivered Bouquets

Max Lucado

Rejections are like speed bumps on the road. They come with the journey.

You cannot keep people from rejecting you. But you can keep rejections from enraging you. How? By letting his acceptance compensate for their rejection.

Think of it this way. Suppose you dwell in a high-rise apartment. On the window sill of your room is a solitary daisy. This morning you picked the daisy and pinned it on your lapel. Since you have only one plant, this is a big event and a special daisy.

But as soon as you're out the door, people start picking petals off your daisy. Someone snags your subway seat. Petal picked. You're blamed for the bad report of a coworker. Three petals. The promotion is given to someone less experience but with USC water polo looks.

More petals. By the end of the day, you're down to one. Woe be to the soul who dares to draw near it. You're only one petal-snatching away from a blowup.

What if the scenario was altered slightly? Let's add one character. The kind man in the apartment next door runs a flower shop on the corner. Every night on the way home he stops at your place with a fresh, undeserved, yet irresistible bouquet.

These are not leftover flowers. They are top-of-the-line arrangements. You don't know why he thinks so highly of you, but you aren't complaining. Because of him, your apartment has a sweet fragrance, and your step has a happy bounce. Let someone mess with your flower, and you've got a basketful to replace it!

The difference is huge. And the interpretation is obvious.

God will load your world with flowers. He hand-delivers a bouquet to your door every day. Open it! Take them! Then, when rejections come, you won't be left short-petaled.

God can help you get rid of your anger.

Take the flowers. Receive from him so you can love or at least put up with others.

~~~~~~~~~~

With Many Thanks to Mr. Lucado and Crosswalk.
    Short Measures

Quote Originally Posted by vasan
    God will load your world with flowers. He hand-delivers a bouquet to your door every day. Open it! Take them! Then, when rejections come, you won't be left short-petaled.

With Many Thanks to Mr. Lucado and Crosswalk.
    hand-delivers a bouquet to your door every day
    thanks chells..........,

December 1

Our high priest is able to understand our weaknesses.
    Hebrews 4:15

When God chose to reveal himself, he did so (surprise of surprises) through a human body. The tongue that called forth the dead was a human one. The hand that touched the leper had dirt under its nails. The feet upon which the woman wept were calloused and dusty. And his tears... oh, don't miss the tears... they came from a heart as broken as yours or mine ever has been.

Ash Wednesday !

Today (03/01/2006) is Ash Wednesday, in Church calender. This day is the beginning of Lent Season - traditionally meant for reflections on the suffering and death of Jesus on the Cross. Ash Wednesday also is a reminder of our own mortality, that we are but dust, and one day to dust we all shall return.

May this season of Lent be a blessing for all of us, and help us remember things that are truly relevant and important. God bless you....

~~~~~~~~~~

Here is one of my fav. hymns, especially relevant during Lent season :D

Abide With Me

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
    The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
    When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
    Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
    Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
    Change and decay in all around I see;
    O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

Not a brief glance I beg, a passing word,
    But as Thou dwell'st with Thy disciples, Lord,
    Familiar, condescending, patient, free.
    Come not to sojourn, but abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
    Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
    Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
    In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

~~~~~~~~~

- Words: Henry F. Lyte, 1847
    - Music: William H. Monk, 1861

Lyte was inspired to write this hymn as he was dying of tuberculosis; he finished it the Sunday he gave his farewell sermon to the the parish he served so many years. The next day, he left for Italy to regain his health. He didn't make it though; he died in Nice, France, three weeks after writing these words.

For more than a century, the bells of his church at All Saints in Lower Brixham, Devonshire, have rung out "Abide With Me" daily. The hymn was sung at the wedding of King George VI of Britain, and at the wedding of his daughter, Queen Elizabeth II.

The music used here, titled "Eventide," is by far the best known of four different tunes used over the years. Mrs. Monk described the setting for her husband's composition of the tune:
    "This tune was written at a time of great sorrow; when together we watched, as we did daily, the glories of the setting sun. As the last golden ray faded, he took some paper and penciled that tune which has gone all over the earth."

http://members.tripod.com/~Synergy_2/lyrics/abide.html

~~~~~~~~~

Come not to sojourn, dear Lord, but abide with me.

Vasan
    Short Measures

Just a chapter from the book of Isaiah.. felt like putting it up..

Isaiah 55

Invitation to the Thirsty

1 "Come, all you who are thirsty,
    come to the waters;
    and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
    Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without cost.
    2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
    Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
    and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me;
    hear me, that your soul may live.
    I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
    my faithful love promised to David.

4 See, I have made him a witness to the peoples,
    a leader and commander of the peoples.

5 Surely you will summon nations you know not,
    and nations that do not know you will hasten to you,
    because of the LORD your God,
    the Holy One of Israel,
    for he has endowed you with splendor."

6 Seek the LORD while he may be found;
    call on him while he is near.

7 Let the wicked forsake his way
    and the evil man his thoughts.
    Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him,
    and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,"
    declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10 As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
    and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
    and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
    but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

12 You will go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
    the mountains and hills
    will burst into song before you,
    and all the trees of the field
    will clap their hands.

13 Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree,
    and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
    This will be for the LORD's renown,
    for an everlasting sign,
    which will not be destroyed."
    Thanks to gospelcom.net and NIV !

Vasan
    Short Measures

Good one B'fly.

True that sometimes I just say my prayer for the sake of saying it.

Thanks for sharing.It kinda of reminding me.

Thanks Curious ....how come ur so familiar to us

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,"
    declares the LORD.
    So True....Thanks anna for the reminder

Learning From Kids

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my yard. My kids see flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff, you can wish on.

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away. My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't have much rhythm so I sit self consciously and listen. My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words. If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk. My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me that. My kids say, "Hi God!!! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight. Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

When I see a mud puddle, I step around it. I see muddy shoes and clothes and dirty carpets. My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross and worms to play with.

I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to be taught? No wonder God loves the little children!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast