Words of the Bible ! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Words of the Bible !

Very true pattams. Thanks for sharing. :P
    - Valluvan

Answered Prayers….

A voyaging ship was wrecked during a storm at sea and only two of the men on it were able to swim to a small, desert like island. The two survivors, not knowing what else to do, agreed that they had no other recourse but to pray to God. However, to find out whose prayer was more powerful, they agreed to divide the territory between them and stay on opposite sides of the island.
    The first thing they prayed for was food. The next morning, the first man saw a fruit-bearing tree on his side of the land, and he was able to eat its fruit. The other man's parcel of land remained barren.

After a week, the first man was lonely and he decided to pray for a wife. The next day, another ship was wrecked, and the only survivor was a woman who swam to his side of the land. On the other side of the island, there was nothing.
    Soon the first man prayed for a house, clothes, more food. The next day, like magic, all of these were given to him. However, the second man still had nothing.

Finally, the first man prayed for a ship, so that he and his wife would leave the island. In the morning, he found a ship docked at his side of the island.

The first man boarded the ship with his wife and decided to leave the second man on the island. He considered the other man unworthy to receive God's blessings, since none of his prayers had been answered. As the ship was about to leave, the first man heard a voice from heaven booming, "Why are you leaving your companion on the island?"
    "My blessings are mine alone, since I was the one who prayed for them," the first man answered. "His prayers were all unanswered and so he does not deserve anything."

"You are mistaken!" the voice rebuked him. "He had only one prayer, which I answered. If not for that, you would not have received any of my blessings."
    "Tell me," the first man asked the voice, "What did he pray for that I should owe him anything?" "He prayed that all your prayers be answered."

For all we know, our blessings are not the fruits of our prayers alone, but those of another praying for us.

Forwarded.. Thank you !

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

WOWWW.. Very good one Vasan

Very very true..

Frankly I am not sure if I would have prayed like the First man.. thanai pathiye think panaama ippadi oru charactera ..

Shy
    I Geetham

thanks V-.

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

9 What does the worker gain from his toil?

10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men.

11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.

13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.

14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

15 Whatever is has already been,
    and what will be has been before;
    and God will call the past to account

One of my fav passages..

Though of late, I have been thinkin.. rr.. more like.. rr..

there is a time to work hard and graduate..

Thank you Pattams !!
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post
    One of my fav passages..

Though of late, I have been thinkin.. rr.. more like.. rr..

there is a time to work hard and graduate..

Thank you Pattams !!
    U can & u will with the Blessings frm above

எல்லா புகழும் இறைவனுக்கே !

Psalm 34:

1 I will extol the LORD at all times;
    his praise will always be on my lips.

2 My soul will boast in the LORD;
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.

3 Glorify the LORD with me;
    let us exalt his name together.

4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.

5 Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.

6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
    he saved him out of all his troubles.

7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
    and he delivers them.

8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
    blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

9 Fear the LORD, you his saints,
    for those who fear him lack nothing.

10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
    but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

11 Come, my children, listen to me;
    I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

12 Whoever of you loves life
    and desires to see many good days,

13 keep your tongue from evil
    and your lips from speaking lies.

14 Turn from evil and do good;
    seek peace and pursue it.

15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous
    and his ears are attentive to their cry;

16 the face of the LORD is against those who do evil,
    to cut off the memory of them from the earth.

17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
    he delivers them from all their troubles.

18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

19 A righteous man may have many troubles,
    but the LORD delivers him from them all;

20 he protects all his bones,
    not one of them will be broken.

21 Evil will slay the wicked;
    the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
    22 The LORD redeems his servants;
    no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

Default Noah's Ark

1) Dont miss the boat

2) Remember that we are all in the same boat.

3) Plan ahead. It wasnt raining when Noah built the ark.

4) Stay fit. When ur old, someone may ask u to do something really big.

5) Dont listen to critics, just get on with the job that needs to be done.

6) Build ur future on high ground.

7) For safety's sake, travel in pairs.

8) speed isnt always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.

9) when ur stressed, float a while.

10) Remember the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.

11) No Matter the storm, when ur with God, there's always a rainbow waiting.

suriyan80 Guest

thankssssssssssssssssss

Good ones pattams..

Thanks for the article.

v-
    Short Measures

Popeye,

I am glad you enjoy reading various religious texts. I do read every now and then texts of various religions (in english, to be exact). While I do not claim any sort of knowledge on religions other than christianity, I do believe that some aspects of Bible you have mentioned were wrongly understood.

It is true that there are several common factors across religions. So far as I know all of them encourage charity, piety, seeking God among other things. However, if you would read the bible in its entirety and you would also note that the person Jesus addresses as Father is not 'devine force' to which we lose our inviduality, but really a person who loves us and cares about us. That is to say, Christianity does speak of God as a person (with such qualities as love, anger and grace) as opposed to a cosmic force that pervades everything. And yes, we are NOT gods - that is to say, the Bible does not say that we are gods in the sense you have written (I am brahman)

More over it is not repeating Gods name, or feeling of Christconsicousness that 'salvation' is achieved. Indeed the Bible says nothing we can do will 'credit us' with salvation. Also what the bible describes as salvation is far different from what you have explained.

Anyways, instead of explaining my understanding of what Bible really teaches etc, I would rather leave it to you to explore it yourself. As it says in the Bible, Jesus came to reveal his father, not to clothe him in more mystery. Reading about him and what he taught (in its context and completeness) should explain much about God as Jesus taught.

Please do read, as much as you can. There are plenty of websites where Bible is freely available - in english, or tamil or most other indian languages too. Perhaps, one day we could have a longer discussion on these topics.

Good luck on the journey.

still travelling v- :D

ps: I am truly ashamed to say, I don't know that much about other religions. As they say, art is long, time is short. But I am glad you are reading various texts !!
    vasan_torrent is vasan when he is using torrent.

Oh.. I am sorry.

I thought the entire purpose of talking to each other (or posting) is that we could engage in a dialogue. I apologize if you found it to be a issue of debate.

Whichever way you choose, good luck.

Vasan
    Short Measures

Success
    The University of Chicago did a five-year study of leading artists, athletes, and scholars. The research was conducted by Dr. Benjamin Bloom, and was based upon anonymous interviews with the top twenty performers in various fields. These people included concert pianists, Olympic athletes, tennis players, sculptors, mathematicians, physicians, and a number of other achievers. Bloom and his team of researchers from the University of Chicago probed for clues as to how these people developed their skills. For a more complete picture, they even interviewed their families and teachers.
    The report stated conclusively that it was not great talent, but drive and determination that led to the extraordinary success of these individuals. Bloom noted, "We expected to find tales of great natural gifts. We didn't find that at all. Their mothers often said it was another sibling who had the great talent". The report, I believe, underscores that for us to live a successful life in our world today, we must do so through drive and determination. The apostle Paul was able to say, after shipwrecks, beatings, political ostracizing, and disappointment, "Now the time has come for me to die. My life is like a drink offering being poured out on the altar. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have been faithful." (2 Timothy 4:6-7) He had lived a successful life. Why? Because he was determined to be faithful, despite his setbacks, disappointments, and trials. Are you determined to live the faith?

Pattams..

v-
    Short Measures

This audio bible website is very nice.

http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

Quote Originally Posted by Teena View Post
    This audio bible website is very nice.

http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html
    Thanks teena .....will check it when i get home

anna

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234