Employers' top ten turnoffs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employers' top ten turnoffs

Default Employers' top ten turnoffs

Inexperience

‘Students should be thinking about their CVs while they’re at university,’ says Paul Tolley of recruiters sf group. ‘If someone comes straight to us as a graduate, it’s harder to help them. If they’ve had a year’s relevant work experience, we can help them every day of the week.’

Careless CVs

Never rush an application. ‘Why would somebody spend three years and get £10,000 into debt to knock out poor-quality CVs?’ asks Simon Perriton of Just IT training.

Mis-spelling

Never express an interest in a ‘pubic relations’ career. ‘If someone sends us an application that has mistakes in it, we won’t even read their CV,’ say PR firm White Oaks.

Circumlocution

‘I think these days people are more impressed by clarity of expression and thought than they are by the extent of somebody’s vocabulary,’ says Tony Maher of the Plain English campaign.

Making excuses

‘I don't think you should ever use the words "I've only". You have to accentuate the positive,’ advises Carl Gilleard, chief executive of the Association of Graduate Recruiters.

Door-knocking

‘You might be very good, but if you knock on the door without an appointment and ask for a job, that tells us all we need to know about you. We’re very busy!’ comments LEWIS PR’s Clive Booth.

Postgrad (sometimes)

‘You can't do a postgraduate course because you can't think what to do, or there isn't anything else to do,’ says Carl Gilleard.

Poor speaking

‘Employers are recognising that whilst a particular person might look great on paper, if they can’t communicate verbally and put their ideas across well, they’re not the sort of person they want to hire,’ says Cristina Stuart of Speak First.

Dangerous hobbies

‘If you say you go Formula One driving and hang gliding they might be inclined to question whether or not you’re going to make it in in one piece on a Monday morning!’ says careers professional Mike Cox.

Being boring

'We sometimes find ourselves dealing with indistinguishable robocandidates. An awful lot of people are "happy to work as part of a team". We look for people who stand out, and who have thought more about what we do and what they can offer us that's remarkable,' says Pearson Education’s Richard Stagg.

by: Emma Bartley, Editorial Team, Graduate Prospects

These aren't always true.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

These aren't always true.
    Thats about kinda sums it up.. mee thinks...

Some how the descriptions make you dread.. You are kinda being turned into a corporate Robot..

Interesting article, bleu.. also does it tell us something about 'mary'?

Vasan
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

HR's talks the same way all thru the universe.. If ppl need u, they wudn't even need ur CV..

Anyhow, this gives some Basic tips and some of them r logical tooo..
    I have been in diet for six months and all I have lost is six months's good food

hmmm...what is a CV?? cover letter?

Blue,

There is a simple solution for the first four mistakes!! Get the resume written by a professional. That industry is growing leaps and bounds these days.

Honestly, the only tip that I tell people is, restrict the resume to 1 page or maximum 2 page. 5-6 page resumes are a big turn off. It will be sheath of papers like functional specifications and no one will ever read it. One page/2 page documents are normally a termination order or a pay raise and hence every one read it.

Ferny, you are joking right?? Currivulum Vitae.. Is that Latin or French????

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Good one Blue !!!

I second anainar.. no essay type resumes.. very crisp and most importantly clearly specify ur responsibilities thats what attracts the employer most.. get to know more abt you.
    Also be very specific in using keywords.. yes.. using a professional help to write ur resume is a good option

Shy
    I Geetham

CV is curriculum vitae, Latin.. , as the people of 'decadent & victorian' english call it.. :P)..

Its the same as what you Yanks, the 'cruel dictators' of modern english, call as Resume which is French.. (shouldn't they rename it, like they did with french fries.. )...

Indians call it CV in school (usually), resume, in software jobs, or while applying to US schools... :P ..

Wonder what Aussies and the rest of the world calls it..

v-

ps: So, did I offend everyone under the sun..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

everyone calls it the CV appart from misguided souls in the new found American continent

what utter nonsense Decadent victorian, Indeed!!!
    we move with the times too

Ferny babe....chummah joke thaanae

btw CV services offered by Bluelotus plc just £15 per page

blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelotus
    everyone calls it the CV appart from misguided souls in the new found American continent

what utter nonsense Decadent victorian, Indeed!!!
    we move with the times too

Ferny babe....chummah joke thaanae

btw CV services offered by Bluelotus plc just £15 per page

blue.
    I don't know if I offended every one.. yet.. but some, yeah..

As dear John said, Give peace a chance, Blues..

v-
    Short Measures

Blue,

Is it going to be in "Decadent, Victorian English"? Not many people understand that.

£15 is too less. Indian companies themselves charge 3500 Re which is equivalent to £50. So Blue's version in Decadent Victorian English deserves more, right?

Cheers

PS: Some of the movies with such cultural clashes are a fun to watch. Serving Sara where Mathew Perry and gorgeous Liz hurley is one hilarious movie. Another one I watched recently in Grant( I think brother of Hugh Grant ) as an upright Brit, who lost his wife in childbirth accidentally runs into and hires Miss Spiley, a Yankee as Nanny. Another Brit Judy Dench as mother of Grant adds spice. Overall I love Brits and their idiosyncracies.

£50 really!!
    It will be written in plain english ..with just a dash of "Je ne sais quoi" to attract the employers' attention
    an extra £15 to be a little more decandent
    either way guarranteed to stand out form the robotic versions

Today is not my day is it
    idiosyncronacies!
    Vitorian!
    Decadent!

and someone wants peace too...with a couple of red tulips ...me thinketh not...perhaps a dove will have to be found

My Goodness me....and here I really thought Tony managed to get everyone to believe in "Cool Britannia"

blue.

PS: hughie has a brother, but me thought he was a banker ...you never know ..perhaps banking wasn't lucrative enough :P

£50 really!!
    It will be written in plain english ..with just a dash of "Je ne sais quoi" to attract the employers' attention
    an extra £15 to be a little more decandent
    either way guarranteed to stand out form the robotic versions
    Sorry, Blues. This is what you wrote before..

Circumlocution

‘I think these days people are more impressed by clarity of expression and thought than they are by the extent of somebody’s vocabulary,’ says Tony Maher of the Plain English campaign.
    I would rather go plain.. If nothing, at least I would have saved some money..

v-
    Short Measures

Hei Guys,
    Before you choose to go for a professional Resume writters, please read below.

I went to a Career devlopment center and the lady took my Resume and scanned with a careless reading and took out her green pen.

She first drew a line on the address. "Dont put South Michigan Avenue, Make it S Michigan Ave,.." (dhoda ! )

2nd line " Dont put Apt, use # " (Soreenga Officer)

"Dont write your name in Bold, make it 12 pt size use Times New Roman" (Or can I better remove my Name Off rather than having it in 12pt size )

"Dont put your education on the top..put that at the last, No employer will look for that" (To hell with you, I spent 6 years in college to get these Degrees)

and I dont want to put the rest of the humiliating remarks I received. :aaha:

Finally after making all the changes (that she made) , It didnt look like mine. It could be anyone's Resume. Change the name and address and anyone can send tht Resume to IBM or Oracle and in the next 15 mins, You will get an offer call. What crap

Then I decided to sit and do my Resume on my own. I took almost 2 weeks, but trust me its really worth the effort.

Silican
    Idhellam kandukkura padadhu Yenna Idhu Vaalipppa vayasu!
    சிலிக்கன்

Silican,

For sure, nothing is more gratifying than writing one's own resume. How often you get a chance to talk good about yourself?? For those who are not good in linguistics, writing, etc, that is an option.

I never tried one resume writer though. But after reading your experience amd inclined to try and see how decadent they can get..:D :D

Cheers

Seriously Anainar,
    I was really frustrated that day when that lady was making so much fun. I was already so down with job-search and she was like, "You need to make lots of changes to get a job"

And later once by mistake I sent my Resume to an Indian "Body shopping" company in NJ. That afternoon I got a call from the HR guy (I wonder if they really have a HR dept ) from that company and he said, "Your Resume looks impressive and we are submitting for 3-4 jobs in the Bay area"

Ennamo pannu'nu I left that. Next day, Im getting a letter from tht guy, "We have submitted for the following positions. Please find a copy of the submitted Resume"

My resume had drastically been changed...It had words like Structs, EJB, beans, carrots and pattani in it. while I had applied for a Java application Developer position.
    சிலிக்கன்

Well, Java, pattani is not new. That is a first turn off for me. I used to work in Bangalore and hiring was part of my job. I am in Graphics/Analysis software development area and we touch Java/sumatra/beans/pattani with a 10 feet pole. For us those are a big turn off. But it might not be true with some web developer or Enterprise software developers. But meddling with a submitted resume is totally unprofessional. Thank God, I never had to deal with these so called middlemen.

But I want to try one of those resume writers and see how best my writing skills are Blue, are you game for that? Since you are not in IT field, you cannot put EJB/Pattani or what ever Silican is talking about.

Cheers

Hmmm resume writter... good to know that i am not aloe in the group of ppl... except that i spent $250 for getting my resume done.... and pretty much wasted.... here is an interesting story that happened to me....

I was getting really tired of applying for jobs when one of my frieds asked me to try and get an "ALL AMERICAN RESUME DONE" .... and then searched and he gave eme a few sitesand places that were GOOD....

went online and filled out their form , took me 3hrs... and submitted my old resue to them etc etc.. paid them in advance.... and eveything... 5 mins later u get a call from the pro resume writter and she asks u all the exact details that u filled up in the forms online, all through wasting my day time minutes on repeating the information.... she asks u about thte weather and the roses and the girl nesxt door too ..(i should hav rather called a friend to discuss this), then after close to 1hr.... she says i am brilliant and should be in a job in the next week....

next weeek!!!!!! i dont ear from them for the next 3 days .. no replies to emails... an non working 1800 number .... they snd me back a heavily reformatted resume... all the keywords i put in them are gone and replaced by some flambouyant english... and heavy formatting as table s and columns ... ok all that for spending that much money....

Then I submit it online and this is what get as a reply from one of the employer...

Please send in your resume in plain word format ....

Finally had to sit down and make another resume of my own since the calls literally stopped coming...

moral of the story: U are ur best judge... and so only u can make ur resume....
    மின்னல் பாதி தென்றல் பாதி மங்கை ஆனது

sorry to hear abt your experience Silican....I don't know what the woman was thinking
    good thing you re-did your CV yourself.
    there's no-one who knows you better than yourself...

Anainar I'm game if you are ....wouldn't dream of including carrots or beans or pattani...what is it a new kind of veggie? (free of course for you Oh Guru )

Thattha,
    maybe my new money making scheme isn't a complete flop just yet

Oh Ashok ...Et Tu....
    at least you know better now...

serioulsy though peeps...a CV or resume is supposed to reflect who you are...the all american resume isn't you

But meddling with a submitted resume is totally unprofessional. Thank God, I never had to deal with these so called middlemen.
    You have escaped a very big community in the United States and Europe.. All they need is ONLY ONE LINKING word.. They know the remaining stuff.. Even more terrible is that even some big companies also do this... Cant help...
    I have been in diet for six months and all I have lost is six months's good food

Idhu madhiri en Friend oru company'kitte maatikittan. Tht company Founder is a telugu lady. She has been in the US for the past 25 years doing some Textile business. Then she had started this so-called Software company this year with some of her friends ( ?? idhukke bayandhutta eppadi..continue reading )

My friend is a core-java programmer (very-skilled) and she said, right now we are employing (she used the same word, didnt say recruiting) only J2EE so we can change your resume and apply ( We both were completely shocked). She cool'ly said, " If you are hungry and there is a banana tree, there is nothing wrong in climbing the tree" God only knows what she wanted to imply.

But there are such people who dont know A,B,C's but start such firms. It is just another 'business' to them. So watch out guys.

Silican
    சிலிக்கன்

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast