Career change
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Career change

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Garden State
    Posts
    29,956

    Default Career change

    Ok is there a chance of changing profession?

    Ok now a software developer irukaanga, what are the other professions they can try?

    Can they become a doctor? Not doctor , but anything related to that profession?

    Guys/Girls in USA please give me your opinions

    P.S : The girl has did her BE and is working for CTS in USA. But wanted to change to some other profession, because for her this IT seems to be overwhelming.. Appo Medicine seat ellama joined BE.

    Shy
    I Geetham

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,799

    Default

    If she feels IT as overwhelming, she better don't go to Medicine, She needs a lot of patience and it requires a lot more attention.

    The best I could suggest for her is interior designing or catering even arts.

  3. #3

    Default

    If things are related to some bio stuff, a good option with her background would be bioinformatics. You don't have to major in biology.. (even math is cool.. ).. And its kinda hot field.. .. there are several more related to bio stuff available.. Might require some training - would be great if a masters from US could be done (usually a year and half to 2 years of oor-suththufying.. .. )

    Changing professions in midstream is not that big a deal Teacher.. Hopefully she is young and willing to adopt.. it would be a bit of hardwork for the first year.. then it would be cakewalk.. Definitely it wouldn't be coding or something like that day after day..

    Best wishes..

    v-

    ps: Practicing medicine in US is a whole new thing.. It would require several years of schooling.. Definitely possible, but certainly not recommended as a changing career.. the reason being, by the time you get to practice, you will be kinda old compared to the newer docs, and practicing would be very very hard.. competition there is a killer..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Shy,

    This thought has crossed my mind too very often. Not because IT is overwhelming, but more because of boredom. I look inside myself to see and all I get is nothing. I know I cannot be a doctor, but there is a host of other professions. I am very interested in Law and am seriously contemplating. That is quiet feasible too, if one is really motivated. Other options are Management.( Sales, Finance etc ). The only catch being the cushy life that one has now has to go as it is like starting afresh.

    I know of one extreme case too. One of my class mate, engineering graduate worked in an Auto majore in their Styling dept for more than 4 years. But developed interest in Cinematorgraphy, took pains and finished his Diploma in Pune Institute of Film Technology. 3 years course he did and now started a new career in Chennai as assistant to PC Sriram. He is still lying low but some day he will hit it big and then I can proudly say, "Hey, I shared my dosa with him at Pune", while I might still be drudging myself in technology..

    It all depends on what one's ambitions are, what price one is willing to pay.

    Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

  5. #5

    Default

    Sir.... :P :P :P

    Teacher-kku ethaavathu idea kudupeengannu paarththaa soliloquy-la irangeetieenga.. :P :P

    Lawyer - ideaaavum sooper thaan. Criminal law padinkaa.. ennaikkavathu eethavathu vambu thumbila maatikittaa udhava nambikkaiyaana oruththar thevai engallukku.. :P :P

    Seriously.. Was watching Kobe trial.. and Pamela Whatever.. (his attorney.. !).. She is very bright.. and handled the case totally professionally. I think the difference between success and failure in that case was totally based on their lawers.. :P :P It would be a cool thing.... I am quite addicted to John Grisham.. :P :P Think lawyers are pretty cool..

    v-

    ps: sorry about the side track teacher..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Garden State
    Posts
    29,956

    Default

    Thanks much guys

    Sri.. Overwhelming in the sense, this is the 3rd time in a year shes travelling across the world and even when shes in USA, one week in NJ, then 2 weeks in Texas and so on. So its like eating all her energy I guess. Also from the start he did like medicine a lot, but unfortunately she didnt get a seat. Thats the reason she was inclined to that profession.

    But I totally agree vasan, even a doctor from India has to do lots of schooling to start their career here. So it might be impossible.. but not doctors what abt like something in that field?

    Anainar, law?? that sounds interesting. but for that shouldnt you have some base knowledge or degree on that? Can they start learning from scratch here and then come up? Thats really good coz, just criminal lawyers appadinu matum ellama, theres not of options right and they can choose whatever they want to be neenga enna criminal lawyera ishtama

    Vasan, np.. very true.. kobe trial ellam amazing mind game theriyumma.. that lady is one great product ofcourse. summva they say shes the costliest and most demanded lawyer in colorado

    Shy
    I Geetham

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Vasan,

    Since the thought crossed my mind also, gave a soliloquy. Otherwise it would be a plain session and stale, right teacher? When one's innerself is shared, the truth content goes up and bullsh** comes down.

    Shy, if she is so worried about travelling, there are other options. May be she can take up product development which normally does not entail much travel. If she does not life the field of computers/software at all. it is a different story and she is better off changing as early possible. Forget about medicine in the US. It is very rigorous for doctors from India and she might have to do interns in very remote places and go through hell before ending up in a nice place.

    She can look at pharmaceuticals/management/Bio informatics. might be worthwhile exploring. But it might still end up eating her after a while.

    Law requires a basic degree. Plus additional degree on Law. Specialisation could be Criminal Justice, Constitutional, Economics law etc.. And what we studied in basic degree does help. And yes, it takes time, but courses can be studied through many ways like full time, part time, mail etc.. I read a lot of Constitution of India, thanks to recent efforts by govt to make it available in the net. May be some day when I will take the final plunge. Till then it is "y = m(d2x/dt2) + k(dx/dt)+c. Or some thing similar. :D :D :D

    Cheers.
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chalk Country
    Posts
    10,477

    Default

    professions allied to medicine are so numerous...

    she can consider clinical physiology, midwifery, physiotherapy, even nursing
    some ppl even study ayurvedic medicine and homeopathy...

    all the above require her to do a bachelors again....but if she doesn't mind studying ....then there's no problem is there?

    biotechnology, bioinformatics, microbiology, science is such a huge field...

    the thing to do Shy Akka is to consult a university careers adviser...they will be able to guide her in the right direction...

    Medicine doesn't have to be doctoring only ...

    Sri,
    were you taking the mickey out of the poor woman....interior decoration


    Anainar,
    I'm sure that if you wish to pursue your interest in law you could follow courses by correspondence like with the "open University" or a US equivalent...even online courses...

    don't be afraid of chaging directions...but do consider all your options carefully...
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelotus
    Sri,
    were you taking the mickey out of the poor woman....interior decoration
    Thayee Blue Magamayeee,

    I just gave a peaceful suggestion comparing the gathering nature of women and the senses towards perfection.... I don't know about mickey and why it has to be inside a women to come out when I say this.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chalk Country
    Posts
    10,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sri_gan
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelotus
    Sri,
    were you taking the mickey out of the poor woman....interior decoration
    Thayee Blue Magamayeee,

    I just gave a peaceful suggestion comparing the gathering nature of women and the senses towards perfection.... I don't know about mickey and why it has to be inside a women to come out when I say this.

    Sri Aiyaah,
    my mistake
    so sorry ...how could I possibly suspect you of ever taking mickey out of anyone...after all Mickey Mouse has many perfectly good homes

    I'm afraid however that I wish to disagree with you on the "natural sesnse of perfection"exhibited by all women.....it's bit too much of a generalisation.

    blue.

    PS: why "Magamayeee" ...wouldn't Lady Durga object?...she might not be so happy your using her name in vain

    PPS: just in case "taking the mickey out of " is an expression which simply means "making fun of "
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blues
    I'm afraid however that I wish to disagree with you on the "natural sesnse of perfection"exhibited by all women.....it's bit too much of a generalisation.
    Every one in Geetham knows you are a special person ( ) so its natural you think like that :P.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Garden State
    Posts
    29,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anainar
    Vasan,

    Since the thought crossed my mind also, gave a soliloquy. Otherwise it would be a plain session and stale, right teacher? When one's innerself is shared, the truth content goes up and bullsh** comes down.

    Shy, if she is so worried about travelling, there are other options. May be she can take up product development which normally does not entail much travel. If she does not life the field of computers/software at all. it is a different story and she is better off changing as early possible. Forget about medicine in the US. It is very rigorous for doctors from India and she might have to do interns in very remote places and go through hell before ending up in a nice place.

    She can look at pharmaceuticals/management/Bio informatics. might be worthwhile exploring. But it might still end up eating her after a while.

    Law requires a basic degree. Plus additional degree on Law. Specialisation could be Criminal Justice, Constitutional, Economics law etc.. And what we studied in basic degree does help. And yes, it takes time, but courses can be studied through many ways like full time, part time, mail etc.. I read a lot of Constitution of India, thanks to recent efforts by govt to make it available in the net. May be some day when I will take the final plunge. Till then it is "y = m(d2x/dt2) + k(dx/dt)+c. Or some thing similar. :D :D :D

    Cheers.
    Very true anainar.. but u know our priority level politics in Indian IT companies and also CTS has some products, but mostly they are into consulting. She has often asked offshore projects alone, but in vain hence the travel. Of course she can resign and join some local company back home. But I guess she isnt interested in IT itself. I mean no more codes and other stuff related.

    pharmaceuticals/management/Bio informatics - seems to be good. Management shud be fine, I mean she can change to management easily and do her MBA too right.. pharmaceuticals???? eppadi u mean work in a drug company or something? but athukkum chemistry or something basic therinchu irukanum ellaiyaa? bio informatics pathi sollungo enakku theriyaathu..

    waiting for that day to see the Lawyer anainar

    Shy
    I Geetham

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Garden State
    Posts
    29,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelotus
    professions allied to medicine are so numerous...

    she can consider clinical physiology, midwifery, physiotherapy, even nursing
    some ppl even study ayurvedic medicine and homeopathy...

    all the above require her to do a bachelors again....but if she doesn't mind studying ....then there's no problem is there?

    biotechnology, bioinformatics, microbiology, science is such a huge field...

    the thing to do Shy Akka is to consult a university careers adviser...they will be able to guide her in the right direction...

    Medicine doesn't have to be doctoring only ...

    Sri,
    were you taking the mickey out of the poor woman....interior decoration


    Anainar,
    I'm sure that if you wish to pursue your interest in law you could follow courses by correspondence like with the "open University" or a US equivalent...even online courses...

    don't be afraid of chaging directions...but do consider all your options carefully...
    thanks sweetlotus.. Yeah there are many areas in medicine. but for everything she needs to have a Bachelors.. shes already 26, inemael padichu

    university adviser, shes working aachae... eppadi eva poi kaekarthu..

    Madhu kita I was talking, I was thinking abt physcology or something in counselling.. antha area eppadi..

    Shy
    I Geetham

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chalk Country
    Posts
    10,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shy
    the thing to do Shy Akka is to consult a university careers adviser...they will be able to guide her in the right direction
    shes already 26, inemael padichu

    university adviser, shes working aachae... eppadi eva poi kaekarthu..

    Madhu kita I was talking, I was thinking abt physcology or something in counselling.. antha area eppadi..

    Shy
    Counselling is different from a psychologist/psychotherapist and a psychiatrist

    psychiatry requires an MD or MBBS
    psychologist and psychotherapy have usually completed a BSc / BA in Psychology
    a counsellor doesn't necessarily have to hold a degree..perhaps she can take a shorter vocational course?

    I mean Shy Akka....

    she could contact univeristies and tell them that for example she is interested in midwifery ...and talk to them ab ther options...
    not really go to the careers office

    if not univeristies...night colleges or adult education colleges..or whatever it's called over there

    ask and you shall receive info (slightly modified from Mark )

    that way she can find out abt unis, courses and options availble to her...

    perhaps she may even use some of her credit from her primary degree to get exemptions for the second one ...?



    :P :P :P Akka...26 is nothing.....that is soooooooooooooooo young....she would be 29 after doing a degree...still very young.... no big deal :P

    considering there are 70yr old OAPs (old age pensioners) enrolling in Law degree courses in the uk


    blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chalk Country
    Posts
    10,477

    Default

    oh ! what abt a PGCE (post graduate certificate in education..I think) basically teaching?
    or social services?

    interesting career paths...involving a lot ppl contact, and I'm sure it wouldn't involve too much travelling...but certainly challenging :D
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    considering there are 70yr old OAPs (old age pensioners) enrolling in Law degree courses in the uk
    Why does this sound like being targetted at me??? I am the only one talking about Law, but am not in UK. Is it done purposely to confuse??? Good try Ujjala.

    Yep, 26 is nothing. Why cant she consider marriage? Some thing new and tortuous, one way ticket?? Just kidding...

    Many of the US universities offer research/opportunities in Bio-informatics, Computational Biology. She might have to take Biology studies and work on protein synthesis, DNA or something similar and create mathematical models and simulate. Kind of interesting and I looked at initially, but was never a fan of biology. If she has inclination for biology, she can take that path and it is challenging.

    Psychiatry is more of medicine/clinical oriented, while psychology is more of art/science oriented. First one is very lucrative, while the second one, well it is anybody's guess. If you have watched the sitcom Becker, ther character Reggie gets a "A" in Psychology major only to find out that the hooker staying on top of Becker's apt is also a Psych Major and so is the guard who stands at Empire State Building. I am not saying, it is the creation of Dave Heckel and Ted Dancen. So, direct your brickbats to them.

    Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anainar
    Psychiatry is more of medicine/clinical oriented, while psychology is more of art/science oriented. First one is very lucrative, while the second one, well it is anybody's guess. If you have watched the sitcom Becker, ther character Reggie gets a "A" in Psychology major only to find out that the hooker staying on top of Becker's apt is also a Psych Major and so is the guard who stands at Empire State Building.
    Iyaa,

    Ennakku thalai odaikuthu ennu theriyalai?

  18. #18

    Default

    Bluey wrote:
    were you taking the mickey out of the poor woman....interior decoration
    Athane career change from IT to Interior Decoration'aaa?????

    PGCE is a great idea (as what Blues said)....maybe Shy akka your friend could think of that route driving her career towards Education...!!!! :P :P

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chalk Country
    Posts
    10,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sri_gan
    Iyaa,

    Ennakku thalai odaikuthu ennu theriyalai?

    அய்யோ பாவம் குழந்டைக்க ு தலை வளிக்குது

    oooh the poor baby ...does your head really hurt....
    only one thing for it ... "monitor-le poi thalaiya leesaa muttikungo"
    I'm just kididng really

    -------------------------------------

    shy akka ...sooo sorry ...for deviating

    ------------------------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by the very young Anainar
    Why does this sound like being targetted at me??? I am the only one talking about Law, but am not in UK. Is it done purposely to confuse??? Good try Ujjala.
    now now...would you like to tell me why you came to that conclusion

    seriously though it wasn't aimed at you ...the truth...absolute as it stands...we have seen a slight increase in the number of retired members of society enrolling for uni courses to while away time

    Yep, 26 is nothing. Why cant she consider marriage? Some thing new and tortuous, one way ticket?? Just kidding...
    marriage is not a career option..it doesn't provide you with stimulation, wage or a pension
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum


  20. #20

    Default

    Blues wrote:
    "monitor-le poi thalaiya leesaa muttikungo"
    I'm just kididng really
    Blues...athu enna leesaa muttikungo nu solluringa....nalla nachu nachu nu muttikka sollungo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Change Your Thoughs and Change Your Life
    By garyzukav in forum Devotionals - Discourses / Upanyasas
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-09-2016, 01:32 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM
  3. Career in Nursing
    By sWEEtmICHe in forum Career
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
  4. career path to motherhood
    By Bluelotus in forum Women's Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts