[discussion] Do you lie to your Dr ?

View Poll Results: have you ever lied to your doctor?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 50.00%
  • no

3 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [discussion] Do you lie to your Dr ?

Default [discussion] Do you lie to your Dr ?

Do you tell your doctor the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

or

do you withold certain pieces of information on a selective basis?

would you ever consider telling your doctor for instance that you do not smoke when you do?

or perhaps that you exercise regularly and eat low fat food...when you don't and you suffer from high cholesterol level and hypertension?

and if you do "lie" a little to your doc...............why do you do it?

fear ?
    embarrassement?
    why should I tell him/her so much abt myself?

or some other reason?

It would be nice if you could all share your views :D
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Blue,

I never lied or no doctor asked me questions that I had to lie. So, I can say comfortably I never lied.

But I always had this notion. We have million different habits and how do we know what is relevant to the current health problem? It is the job of the doctor to ask relevant questions and get an answer. Dont you agree??

I am not embarassed of telling doctor anything that might help him diagnose the problem.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Blue,

I am sure I will be an ideal candidate for this kustin..

Haven't been to Doc many times.. Usually its like flu or some such.. And the doc does not ask anything other than, does it hurt (pressing the glands) or do you have cold and so on.. Nothing to lie about, really..

The only time went for a check up was for cholestrol and blood sugar.. He asked do I smoke, drink blah blah. Didn't tell any lie. He asked me about food - I didn't lie, but numbers are vague.. who keeps a track of average # pizzas or burgers? Told him.. probably this or that.. and told him I can't remember..

My eye doc, does not ask anything, except, can you read the last line now..
    Can't lie there, now, can I?

Haven't had anything else that might prompt some 'white lie'..

Moreover, I speak 'truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth'.. (and some statistics, of course.. )

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Naan naraiya doctors kitta naraiya doop vitrukken. Kaaranam.. vera enna! Bayam thaan.

Enakku doctors-ai partha bayangara bayam. Sonna namba matteenga! India-la doctors appointment irunthathunna annikku bayatthula enakku loose motion-e vandhudum. Yenna Indian doctors are not co-operative. Not all of them, but most of them. Kelvi kettale mela erinju erinju vizhuvaanga. Athu ennavo theriyalai. India-la naan partha doctors orutthar kooda sariyillai. Oru velai enakku than rasi illaiyo ennavo.

Doctor-a patthina bayame enakku US vandhu thaan pocchu.

I till now havent lied but I have heard/seen some of my friends lying to the doctor for smoking/drinking habits..

Doctors should understand and ask certain questions to the patient when he is alone.. They can expect a fair answer by asking "Do you smoke/Drink?" in front of your parents.. Otherwise, There is nothing embarassing when you r talking to the doctor ..
    I have been in diet for six months and all I have lost is six months's good food

Quote Originally Posted by Anainar
    I never lied or no doctor asked me questions that I had to lie. So, I can say comfortably I never lied.

But I always had this notion. We have million different habits and how do we know what is relevant to the current health problem? It is the job of the doctor to ask relevant questions and get an answer. Dont you agree??

I am not embarassed of telling doctor anything that might help him diagnose the problem.

Cheers
    well done

Well I do agree that it is quite difficult for the patient to differentiate between relevant and non-relevant information required by the doctor.

When you do pay a visit to the doctor you usually are unwell, right?

well in that case you should tell your doctor all the symptoms that you have, he/she is no soothsayer they cannot divine it for you...you must tell them..even if you think it is terribly unimportant and of no consequence.
    If you are unsure of anything why not ask the doctor abt it.

however you do raise a very valid point.
    anything you tell the doctor will be recorded, and records are no longer (this I believe is truer in the USA than anywhere else) completely safe from prying eyes.

-----------------------------

Vasan,

you are not the only one it seems ....the reason why doctors may ask you details of your diet is to make sure that IF you have high cholesterol or hypertendion it is trully linked to your diet and lifestyle as opposed to some other reasons (say for example there could be a genetic link instead )
    they really have no desire to know abt your meals beyond their professional need (am quite sure most have some other interesting hobbies )

My eye doc, does not ask anything, except, can you read the last line now..
    Can't lie there, now, can I?
    well actually you can ...but you shall find out that it serves no purpose ...because you end up going back and getting those thicker lenses anyway

--------------------------

Priyanka,

I am sorry to hear that you were afraid of you doctor back n India. I'm sorry I am unfamiliar with Indian Doctors, the ones I know from the Indian sub-continent are really nice ppl.

But I think the problem may lie in the fact ...that in India a "god-like" status is given to doctors. They are no gods...just mere humans...

frankly if you feel uncomfortable with your doctor for any reason ...then you should change him/her.
    orai oru kelvi...Priyanka ungal Amma Doctor thaanae? so eppdi ippdi ellam bayapidringal?

a doctor should answer all your questions (abt the disease, treatment, medical stuff only not abt their persoanl affairs )

----------------------------

Raasu,

well done !

doctors shouldn't ask such questions in front of anyone form the patient
    lack of professionalism!!

having said all this ...

well I must admit that I haven't always been truthful to my dear old GP...

when it comes to taking medication as prescribed..well I have never quite been able to follow the intruction to the letter...usually end up missing at least a couple days of whatever drug he felt the need to prescribe

I have as yet never told him abt that

apparently many are trully scared of their doctors.....and lie quite often to them, abt their symptoms, etc
    it sort of defies the point of visiting one's doctor if one is going to lie :?

blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

"Yes" appadinnu innum rendu peru vakkalicchirukkanga! (Athula naan orutthi) Bakki rendu peru yaaru. Inga ennadaanna ellaarum "Naan poiyee sonnadille"ngaraanga! Aana "No"nu othare otthar thaan vakkalicchirukkaanga.

Onnum puriyalaiye!

Yes" appadinnu innum rendu peru vakkalicchirukkanga! (Athula naan orutthi) Bakki rendu peru yaaru. Inga ennadaanna ellaarum "Naan poiyee sonnadille"ngaraanga! Aana "No"nu othare otthar thaan vakkalicchirukkaanga.

Onnum puriyalaiye!
    Kelvi, POI solluveengalannu. Athukku kudukkara bathil unmaiya poiyaannu eppadi kandupidipeenga?

Ithula onnume puriyailainaa enna pannarathu?

Kutty- pasangallukku onnum puriyaathu..

Some write and forget to vote. I voted and wrote. So the one vote you see is mine.
    Others have not voted.

Many others just vote stuff, not write anything and vanishuuu.. enthaa moley, priyakutty.. manasilaayo?

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

No I dont.

How embarassing the answer/question may be, I think one shouldnt lie to the doctor. Reason we are going to the doctor to get some help. Only if we are helpful to them, they will do the right thing. no good is going to happen by lying to them.

Shy
    I Geetham

Acchaccho Vasan! Ithai naan kindalaa "Ithula yaar poi sollirukkaanga"ngara artham vara maadiri ezhudhinen. Neenga ennadanna nejamaave enakku puriyalainnu nenacchukkittu explain panniyirukkeenga! Nalla comedy.

Sorry for the lolls.

hey blue ........nice topic for discussion.Good that u have brought this up.

Due to lack of time I could not able to see this post early.Anyway,here is my answer.

So far I have told 100% truth to my doctor.It is necessary that we should tell the fact to the doctor never mind it's physiological or phychological.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues
    orai oru kelvi...Priyanka ungal Amma Doctor thaanae? so eppdi ippdi ellam bayapidringal?
    That is the main reason why I fear doctors. Enakku enga ammavai paarthaale innikkum kolai nadungum. Enga ammava parthale oru puliya parkara maadiri thaan irukkum. Very very nice lady aana bayangara strict. Oru velai andha bayam dhan doctors mela bayama thirumbiduccho ennavo.

Eththanai doctors-ai maattharathu. Indiala enakku amanja doctors ellarume sidumunji pervizhigal thaan.

Quote Originally Posted by Priyanka View Post
    Naan naraiya doctors kitta naraiya doop vitrukken. Kaaranam.. vera enna! Bayam thaan.

Enakku doctors-ai partha bayangara bayam. Sonna namba matteenga! India-la doctors appointment irunthathunna annikku bayatthula enakku loose motion-e vandhudum. Yenna Indian doctors are not co-operative. Not all of them, but most of them. Kelvi kettale mela erinju erinju vizhuvaanga. Athu ennavo theriyalai. India-la naan partha doctors orutthar kooda sariyillai. Oru velai enakku than rasi illaiyo ennavo.

Doctor-a patthina bayame enakku US vandhu thaan pocchu.

Athu ennavo unami thaan...naan ponaa vayasaana doctorsta poven...
    Last edited by chinglees; 05-17-2007 at 04:26 AM.

~~~
    Blog

Enna chingiii...old thread ellam revive panreengo

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Enna chingiii...old thread ellam revive panreengo
    Chumma fly ...priyanka sonnathu siripaa iruku

Enna Shakti

Quote Originally Posted by chinglees View Post
    Chumma fly ...priyanka sonnathu siripaa iruku

Enna Shakti
    Yep..it used to be fun to have her around ...Enjoyy

Fortunately I have been diagnosed by the same doctor ever since I was a 10 month old. He's never put me in a situation to answer embarassing questions. I think lying to your doctor is just going to make things more worse to diagnose. So NO.
    ~~~~~~~
    OPM seems damn paranoid about doctors
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

Quote Originally Posted by ns80 View Post
    Fortunately I have been diagnosed by the same doctor ever since I was a 10 month old. He's never put me in a situation to answer embarassing questions. I think lying to your doctor is just going to make things more worse to diagnose. So NO.
    ~~~~~~~
    OPM seems damn paranoid about doctors
    Same pinch.... till I came to US.. but leavela India porache. avalangai poi oru yettu paarthutu varuven

OPM paavam..

Shy
    I Geetham

I'll get beaten up if I lie to my doctor, because he's known me for 23 years.
    Over and out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast