Firefox related help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox related help

Default Firefox related help

Folks,

Just want to find whether it is just me or other's have problems using firefox to view geetham.net (even posting new topic makes it more interesting...).

Eager to hear from the firefox/Geetham.net users...

thanks and regards
    TVN

I sometimes use firefox and geetham, but I dont have any problems.....well except for some of the tamil fonts.... ...

I use it for almost all other sites apart from geetham.....it can't display tamil fonts properly as yogesh said
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Yup me too. Just the tamil fonts.

hey i use firefox as well. im able to see tamil fonts in geetham quite properly. by any chance do u people use windows 2000. then goto regional settings. under general>languages. select indic..that shud install most of the asian fonts. in firefox options...under general>languages. ive added tamil as one primary fonts and encoding as UTF-8. does this fix things for u?
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

Its not just fonts. (i cant see them:i 've selected both utf-8 and tamil in firefox). U cant see the top bar in firefox(both linux and windows.) thats where the links to the torrent sites are ...
    --N
    I Will Be Back!!!

i always use firefox. i dont have problems.

hey narayana...do u mean the menu bar that appears above the google public service ads?

p.s - my name is narayanan too :D

Its not just fonts. (i cant see them:i 've selected both utf-8 and tamil in firefox). U cant see the top bar in firefox(both linux and windows.) thats where the links to the torrent sites are ...
    --N

Am new to Geetham... Whats firefox, is there anyway I could download it and try it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyan
    Am new to Geetham... Whats firefox, is there anyway I could download it and try it out?
    Kalyan, its yet another browser like IE.. Mozilla Firefox is a freeware, so there are many sites u can download from :D

shy
    I Geetham

Kalyan, to get a basic look and feel of firefox. u can try the earlier build of firefox(named firebird). needs no installation for this version.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../releases/0.7/

the most uptodate v1.0 needs installation though.

makkale....those who are having trouble with tamil fonts. u probably might not have those fonts.

here is a site which has a huge library of fonts -> http://www.angelfire.com/empire/thamizh/1/

i too wasnt able to see the thatstamil article which jagga sent few days back. i installed the fonts and it seems to be working in firefox as well.

dynamic fonts seems to be working quite well in IE. but not in firefox. donno how to do that though

there is a discussion about embedded media streaming in firefox here. but dint work for me . if it works for you, please update this thread with your success story.

UPDATE March 4, 2005 4:30 pm EST: you do not need to install the media connectivity plugin to run embedded windows media on Firefox 1.0. ActiveX installation for Firefox 1.0 seems working :D.

I have not had issues with streaming media in firefox for as long as I can remember. The firefox media connectivity plugin detects the stream and tries to invoke the native player but incases of Real etc.. the content type itself is audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin which is usuaklly .rpm files. In this case Real needs to download additional components but cant play a plugin. So you are stuck with the embedded object.

I have winamp configured to play Real using the Tara input plugin - wma files can be played by default in the latest winamp.

i use mostly firefox and had no troubles with font display.. i am not sure what kind of fonts i installed... sorry about that.

BTW if you going to install firefox install the new version firefox 1.0.1 .. its been patched for few holes
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

Quote Originally Posted by ns80
    hey narayana...do u mean the menu bar that appears above the google public service ads?

p.s - my name is narayanan too :D
    he he posting reply after a month.. yes. thats what i mean
    --N

EDIT: One other problem i noticed was that I am not able to view some uploaded photos; I am not too eager to install activex in mine. So i've installed the IEView plugin which gives an option ti open link in IE.
    I Will Be Back!!!

Narayana, there is a plugin called User Agent Switcher which allows you to mimic IE and other browsers within Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by ns80
    Narayana, there is a plugin called User Agent Switcher which allows you to mimic IE and other browsers within Firefox.
    i installed it. What does it do? make the website think that i'm using IE? Still i'm not able to see the menu bar nor can i see the avatars of many. am using Firefox 1.0.1
    --N
    I Will Be Back!!!

The User Agent Switcher merely changes the user agent. For e.g.
    Firefox default is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1 and
    IE is Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

This will NOT make your browser behave like IE it only FOOLS the server into thinking that IE is requesting the data.
    This is helpful for those sites that insist on IE for idiocy sakes but in reality have content that can be rendered quite well in firefox/mozilla.

BTW one of the most useful extensions that I love in firefox is the Adblock - try that out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast