All about vioxx, celebrex and alleve
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All about vioxx, celebrex and alleve

Default All about vioxx, celebrex and alleve

VIOXX

Vioxx, the popular arthritis medication, has been pulled from the market by drug manufacturer Merck & Co. The company announced an immediate, voluntary, worldwide withdrawal of the drug after a three-year colon cancer study confirmed long-standing concerns the drug raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.

ALLEVE

The over-the-counter drug Aleve, sold generically as naproxen, joins the list of recent painkillers facing federal scrutiny for potential heart risks. The National Institutes of Health has suspended an Alzheimer's prevention trial involving Aleve and Celebrex, because Aleve was shown to increase the risk of heart attacks or stroke by 50% among healthy elderly patients

CELEBREX

A new warning is out about the popular arthritis drug Celebrex, saying it increased heart attacks in a recent study. This is the same class of drugs that contains Vioxx, which was pulled from the market due to an increased risk of heart attack and stroke, and Bextra, which had a heart warning added to its label this year.
    Pfizer announced that it has suspended the use of Celebrex, the popular arthritis pain medication, in a cancer-prevention study because those who took Celebrex had 2.5 times as many fatal and nonfatal heart attacks as those who did not take the drug. The company said that it has no plans to pull it from the market until it studies the data.

www.webmd.com

thanks for the info sivam akkov.. sometimes the side effects and warnings of these allergy medicines and generic drugs are so scary... still people do buy these drugs....

PS : Dr. Sivam avatar looks crooked...doesnt reflect the same feel as your usual avatars..
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

I don't think people who are aware of these drugs would never go for these pain medications. Actually doctor prescribed me vioxx for 2 weeks before this was pulled away from the market. Thank God I did not take it for a prolonged period of time.

PS: My avatar pic. is not so clear....yeah I can see that. I dunnu why? :?

ALLEVE

The over-the-counter drug Aleve, sold generically as naproxen, joins the list of recent painkillers facing federal scrutiny for potential heart risks. The National Institutes of Health has suspended an Alzheimer's prevention trial involving Aleve and Celebrex, because Aleve was shown to increase the risk of heart attacks or stroke by 50% among healthy elderly patients

I Have been using Aleve for sometime. For Nasal congestion and Sinus. Thnx for the info.

- Silix
    Idhellam kandukkura padadhu Yenna Idhu Vaalipppa vayasu!
    சிலிக்கன்

Are u using alleve for nasal congestion and sinus? Doctors usually prescribe alleve for arthirtis and related pain.

Alleve has not yet pulled away from the drug store but it's better to stop using it.

Teena, .. does ibuprofen falls in that list too

thanks a lot :P

Shy
    I Geetham

This happens only in the US of A

Drugs prescribed for curing ailments causing so much trouble; while pills like Via@#$ are said to reduce risk of heart attack.
    if this post is inappropriate: Moderators please remove it.

-Siva
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

No shy ............so far nothing negative about ibubrufen. Hopefully there should not be any in the future.

Teena,
    Very good article

I dont understand Y ur Dr is prescribing Viox,celebrex,alleve,iboprufen :?

They are all non - steroidal anti-inflammatory medications...usually prescribed for ppl with arthritis...when it comes to pain for older adults they wud rather take a celebrex than medication with steroids or narcotics....coz its given for the inflammation
    But I am sure everyone here is young so even if the Dr prescribes it ask him Y ...check again with the pharmacist if its the right medication before taking it....If still not sure check the net...u will get all the information ...

silican wrote,
    I Have been using Aleve for sometime. For Nasal congestion and Sinus. Thnx for the info.
    Silican,
    adhu congestionuku tharalai...he must have given it for pain...Thalai valinu solli irupeengo so adhu prescribe panniirukango.

Siva,
    each medication has its own side effects...so its best to read & get to know about the medication one takes.

aleve, celebrex and vioxx are precribed for arthritis pain only...

since there hasnt been any major scientific break thorough in generic drugs these days .. the drug companies have started a different marketing strategy with medicines .. like make generic drungs for pain relief and nasal decongesant , hig temperature etc .. composite drugs..

psudefed is a nasal decongestant ... sandwiching it newer versions of arthritis drugs...

alleve for pain and flu... advil body ache and sinus...

2 weeks ago i had flu and was shocked to see the variety of drugs over the counter.. finally i ended up with advil and antidamine (prescriped drug) .....

Silix,

if you have only nasal congestion and you have the need to take medicines then you can take psudefed rather than alleve...

any docs around please let me know if there are errors in my post...

why oh why are you all taking so much medication for such little things?

My father takes about 30 odd tablets a day...just seeing that puts me off medicines for life
    you guys actually go out there and voluntarily take drugs for simple things like nasal congestion?

I'm sorry if I seem rude, but just because it's available does not mean you have to pump your body full of chemicals.

if you have flu, take loads of fluids and rest...unless you're in one of the risk groups, which basically only includes chronically ill patients, health care workers and the elderly (+65),
    otherwise stick to kottumallui and ginger/lemon/honey teas
    and you may allow yourself a couple of paracetamol...

unless it gets real bad...then only then go see the doctor.

seriously don't over do the drugs...

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Teena and B'fly and Madhu
    for the info

blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Madhu nalla kaetukoo

Shy
    I Geetham

Blues wrote,
    I'm sorry if I seem rude, but just because it's available does not mean you have to pump your body full of chemicals.
    No Blues...Ur right...Ppl swollow antibiotics like m&m's

Madhu nalla kaetukoo
    Echo of shy akka

its shud be silix ketukooo

thodaaaa .. i hate to take english medicines.. when i had flu i tried to sleep through it .. wasnt sucessful.. appuram than had advil and prescription drug.. although had few samples of psudafed .. only thing in my mind was to get rid of flu... you know ..its killing to stay indoors...

aama meow kettuko...

apddiye enoda tabletssum sapitukko

yesterday bhabhi kitta mulunga sollittein....today nee sapituko meow pls

In the OA studies they noted that

abdominal distension, abdominal tenderness, abscess, chest pain, chills, contusion, cyst, diaphragmatic hernia, fever, fluid retention, flushing, fungal infection, infection, laceration, pain, pelvic pain, peripheral edema, postoperative pain, syncope, trauma, upper extremity edema, viral syndrome.

asthma, cough, dyspnea, pneumonia, pulmonary congestion, respiratory infection.

Approximately 750 patients were treated with a single dose of VIOXX 25 mg or 50 mg in two single-attack migraine studies. Approximately 460 patients in the 3-month extension phase of one study treated up to 8 (average 3) migraine attacks per month. In single attack studies, the following adverse events were more frequent in the VIOXX treatment groups (25 mg and 50 mg) compared to the placebo group, and occurred at an incidence of at least 2% of patients treated: dizziness, nausea, somnolence and dyspepsia. In the 3-month extension phase of one study, the following adverse events occurred at an incidence of at least 2% of patients treated in the VIOXX treatment groups (25 mg and 50 mg): dizziness, dry mouth, nausea, and vomiting.

links @ http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/rofecox_ad.htm
    Friends give ur info to the neww pattimandram topic.thank u

it is good i like it.

great, like it again.

Pongal Wishes in Tamil

Quote Originally Posted by getold View Post
    great, like it again. https://shayaristatussms.com/pongal-wishes-in-tamil/"]Pongal Wishes in Tamil[/URL]
    Cảm ơn bạn!

+ Reply to Thread