thuvaiyal - can i use a coffee grinder?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thuvaiyal - can i use a coffee grinder?

Default thuvaiyal - can i use a coffee grinder?

I don't have a sumeet, but I want to make thenga / inji thuvaiyal i will buy a new coffee grinder if necessary... but can i use my grinder to grind the thuvaiyal paste?? i'm sure i can grind jeera or milagu or dry spices... please tell me your experiences! i wonder if i can use it for dhania, i.e. in araitha sambar.

Only grind all dry spices & condiments using the cofee grinder but no-no to wet spices.(like garlic, ginger).

You can use food chopper if u wish. If u want to make a paste then no other choice u only have to put it in a mixie.

Its not that u need sumeet for all these.. even a normal blender should be fine ..

Shy
    I Geetham

welcome rasikan

ennaku itha pathi ellam onnum theriyathu samaiyalla ippa than 6mths experience.......intha shy irrukangale avunga than cooking teacher.....avunga asistant than intha teena.....avunga sollratha senchu parunga......

Whatever you do, don't use the same grinder for coffee and anything else.

Its an ETERNAL CRIME to contaminate coffee with anything !! Tamil movie style-la sonnaa: Kaalam ungalai mannikkavE mannikkaathu..

i will buy a new coffee grinder if necessary
    I am glad you wrote this line. IT is necessary. :P :P :P

Coffee-kku mattum theevira rasikan,

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Rasikan,
    Vandiya eduthukittu nera Walmart ponga. $13.49'kku Rollback'nu (Was $13.54 )Sticker otti Sunbeam 6-Speed Blender onnu irukkum. Adhai vaangunga. onnum prachchanaiye illama Chutney Thuvaiyal araikkalam. Naan Thosaikke idhula dhan Maavaraippen'na paathukkonga.

- Silix
    Idhellam kandukkura padadhu Yenna Idhu Vaalipppa vayasu!
    சிலிக்கன்

Me second Vasan. Coffee grinder should not be used for anything else. That is an eternal sin which will take you to hell, for the next 14 jenmas. BTW, do you grind your own coffee? கொஞ்சம் காலை காட்டுங்கோ , நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணத்தான் . Do you use those Coffee beans that you get in grocery stores, roast it and grind it? I miss the Narasu's coffe, filtered in that stainless steel filter, smelling like heaven, first thing in the morning.

Yep, you can buy blenders for cheap prices here which can do the job of chutneys. Oster is a good brand and lasts longer also.

Silix, dosai sari, saapidara maathiri irukumaa??

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Silix, dosai sari, saapidara maathiri irukumaa??
    Konjam Thalaiya left'ka thiruppi Avtar paarunga. Andha Range'ku varum. Starting'la konjam uppma madhiri dhan vandhuchchu..appuram dhosaikku maavu oora vaikkiradhu/araikkiradhu/thanni alavu/Tava temperature matraiya pala sootchumam purinjadhum Weekend poora Dhosai Thiruvizgha dhan My ex roomie used to call out to me "Master murugal'a oru Roast".

Most Importantly, $1000.00kku Mixie vaangunalum, Ishtappattu Dhosai panna dhan Dhosai madhiri varum. Illena innum konjam thanni ooththi veedu poora Kolam poda vendiyadhu dhan.

- Silix
    சிலிக்கன்

vow! mikka nandri guys. i will buy the sunbeam blender. aana, for dosa which setting should i put it? grind? how long does it take? ok, dosa maavu will be fine in the large size glass... but if i want to do SMALL QUANTITY thuvaiyal, how can i do? i don't want to use the large thing... is there a small jar? maybe i can use the small jar for the sambar and thuvaiyals.

so shy is the expert here? maybe i can finally learn how to make "hotel sambar"...
    although i'm not an expert, i am still pretty decent in most dishes, good enough for a bachelor.

my secret reference? (besides calling amma...)

"Dakshin"
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

buy this cookbook. romba nalla cookbook... all the "classic" south indian recipes are inside. click "search inside" and then view a few pages and recipes and read the reviews. simply amazing. it has all varieties of sambar, rasam, kootus/poriyals, ALL podis and thuvaiyals, all dosa/idli, dessert, even pickle. excellent reference... i normally hate cookbooks, but this is the standard. of course nothing can beat kai raasi from experience (this is coming from absentminded me... by mistake i put manjal podi in avial thinking it was more kuzhambu... ooops)

nice to see this forum!!

my secret reference? (besides calling amma...)
    No need for secret ref. Teacher irukka bayam yean?

Not only the recipes are posted immediately- you can 'assured'.. :P :P And questions? on the recipes... yes, step by step guidance.. all here.. :P :P

Only problem.. appo appo kovam vanthaa poorikkattaiyiley rendu saaththu saathiduvaanga.. .. (rr.. to be honest.. ithuvaraikkum kovam vanthu paarthathu illa.. but, still.. :P)

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

rasikan good to see one more person in the coffee club
    namma geethamla irrukara internet techies yarravadhu, netla anntha cookbook irruntha kanndu pidichu sollunga, , addikatheenga ippove booka order pannaren
    :D :D
    -Siva
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

Rasikan,

1) For Dosas the clue lies in the amount of time u soak Ulundhu and Rice. When blending ulundhu use Ice water and use the Level 4 speed for 2-3 mins. Then move on to Blend speed and it will take another 10 mins to be completely done. Abt rice Im not sure how much nice u want it to be. I usually stop when its slightly coarse (nora nora level) so that the dosas are a bit extra crispy.

2) Usually when I make Thuvaiyal I make it a lot. Just lot enough for side-dish with thayir sadham or for mixing with rice when I make vaththa kozhambu (paruppu Thuvaiyal+rice+vaththa kozhambu+popular appalam- just Rocks..) or with Dosa in the weekend. Pudhina Thuvaiyal can be used for making sandwich just like using Guacamole. So how much ever I make, it gets over pretty quickly and I never needed a small jar.

- Silix
    சிலிக்கன்

yenna proportion ulundhu/rice? which kind of rice do you use? and how long do you use for?

what about for medhu vadai? proportions/soak time/etc?

my "secret" for making perfect vadai:
    http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?product=BE3168

it is excellent... "donut dropper"... you can find a cheaper price from froogle.com maybe. it comes out perfectly shaped and looks great. no more aavin paal packet method!! i made a big vadamalai for anchaneya jayanthi with this.

yenna proportion ulundhu/rice? which kind of rice do you use? and how long do you use for?
    1 Cup Ulundhu for 3+3/4 (Moone mukkal) cup Swad/Lakshmi brand Idly arisi..Shd be available in most Indian grocery stores.

Thanks for the Donut Dropper . Last time we gathered for a pot luck and the sambhar vadai and Thayir vadai looked totally deformed. Should try this one.

- Silix
    சிலிக்கன்

Silix..... ...neenga vera veruppeththaathinga........ava tar-la dosai-a pottu..........

தோசை தின்னு நாளாச்சு.... ல்ல
    தோசை தின்னு நாளாச்சு
    - Valluvan

hello silix(dosai master)

ulundhu.. ethanai mani neram ura vekainum and rice ethanai mani neram ura veikanum..

sari. mixie ordinary (glass r plastic) mixie madhiri iruku adhula rendum araika mudiyuma..

ayya ungalukku. kedaikara pola ellam inga engalukku kedaikarathu illa....

dosai preparation oru good algorithm starting from a 2 z sollunga papom..

ellaina cooking teacher shy avarkalae.. konjam help pannunga please
    தீயினால் சுட்ட புண் உள்ளாறும் ஆறாதே நாவினால் சுட்ட வடு - திருவள்ளுவ ர்

thanks silix sir-
    timings for soaking? how much water do you grind with -- the same amount of water which you soaked?

Dhosaikku iththana varaverpa ??

Naane Bachelor's Kitchen'nu oru thread aarambichchu simple'a easya tasty'a samaikkara madhiri sila recipes podalamnnu irundhen. But ippo konjam busya irukkaradhunala couldnt do it. Anyways,

Dhosai Preparation for Dummies

PrefaceThe first time when u try dosai it wouldnt be a satisfactory experience usually, but with subsequent trials you could master it. While making Dosa for the first time consider having Dosa for Saturday morning breakfast, so that even if the project fails u can very well make something else without having 2 worry about running late to work/school.

Friday
    Start this on Friday evening when u get back from work/school.

1) Take Urud Dal (Ullutham Paruppu) 1 measure and soak it 2 measures of water.
    2) Similarly soak Idly arisi ( The common swad brand/Lakshmi or any other brand which u get in Indian Grocery stores) 3+3/4 (moone mukkal) measures in 8 measures of water.

Keep them aside for 5 hours. In the meantime u can cook ur Dinner or go out with friends or watch movies.

3) After 5 hours once the rice and ulundhu have been properly soaked, drain the rice and put them in the mixer, add 1 measure of water and start with level 4 Speed (on a 6 speed mixie/blender) for 5 minutes .once the rice has been coarse ground, add another measure of water (if needed) and move to blend mode (the maximum speed) in your mixer/blender for 10-15 minutes till u feel that the dough is good enough.
    Remember: Dont add too much of water. U should get something like Dhosai maavu..Dont make it like "Neer-More".

4) Now empty the dough into a big vessel and put the soaked Ulundhu (after draining) in the mixer. Use 1/4 measure of Ice water and start grinding in Max. It should take lesser time than Rice, as ulundhu is much softer than Rice. This will take like 6-7 minutes and once u get the feel that it is properly done, stop the blender and empty the Ulundhu dough in the Rice dough. Add sufficient salt [ I am not specifying the amount cos, it varies with the amount of dough u get. Typically if u r working on a figure of 20-25 dosas to be made use 1 T-Spoon Salt]

5) Mix it well and set aside. I usually pour the mixture into the blender again and leave it in Level 4 for another 10 minutes to ensure that the dosa mix is a Homogeneous mixture (Refer 9th class Chemistry syllabus for homogeneous and heterogeneous )

cover the mix with a plate with venting slightly on one side and leave it overnight for the yeast to work on it. It usually takes 8-10 hours for that to be done. In winter it takes even more time.

Important Wash your Blender/mixer and other utensils immediately used for mixing or it would get dry and irritating to wash the next day.

Saturday

We r not professionals. So we cant expect to get Paper roasts out of the shallow frying pan which we have been using for more than an year. So get a new Teflon coated Tava dedicated for Dosa and Dosa ONLY. Take half a T-spoon of ghee, if you r not worried abt ur Love Handles (thanks Teena for the word )and generously spread on the dosa while making it. Enjoy with Vengaya sambhar and Thenga Chutney.

- Silix
    சிலிக்கன்

aha.. aha.. arumaiyana.. algorithm....

Quote Originally Posted by silican

5) Mix it well and set aside. I usually pour the mixture into the blender again and leave it in Level 4 for another 10 minutes to ensure that the dosa mix is a Homogeneous mixture (Refer 9th class Chemistry syllabus for homogeneous and heterogeneous )

cha.. itha munnadiyae.. padichu irudha.. chemistry examla.. pass ayirupaen.. eppadinu kekureengala.. homogenous, heterogenousnukku.. indha.. example solli escape ayirupaen..

mikka.. nandri..

dosai master

silix avargalae...........
    தீயினால் சுட்ட புண் உள்ளாறும் ஆறாதே நாவினால் சுட்ட வடு - திருவள்ளுவ ர்

wow silican.. shuper poonga...

Ellarkkum nala puriyara mathiri explain senchu irukeenga shuper... hope iig, rasikan finds this helpful

Try and let us know

Shy
    I Geetham

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast