help for searching Ph.D. availabilities - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help for searching Ph.D. availabilities

I am just starting my search of Ph.D., I need everything like

1. Universities available
    2. Qualification required ( GRE AND TOEFL)

1. What they will specifically look for in ph.D. application like final grade r Thesis done r they will be evaluated with their interview r something with the prof.

and for USA, how GRE and TOEFL is calculated for ph.d., applications.

As I am starter in this Even i donno more.. If u say something I will go through that and I will ask doubts what ever I have

IIG,

Welcome to PhD stuff..

First things first though.. Are you totally sure? In US, you are looking at a 4-6 year long committment and unless you are quite quite willing and committed, its not fun. So, be warned. :D

Secondly, process engineering is a very broad area. I am assuming that you are now working on some degree program (may be an MS), and if so, would you like to continue doing very much close to what you are doing? If you are indeed doing research, you must have read several research papers. Look at the more recent ones, and see who are the authors. Chances are that you will find several profs from US on those papers. You can apply to those schools. In fact, if you want to change into some other 'more interesting' area of research also, you can find several authors/profs in these papers, and you can apply to their schools. (if its my research area, I can comment better.. unfortunately I am not working on process related stuff!).

How do you know if there is phd available? If its a school, it has a phd program. In USA there are no such thing as phd availablity. Its there. If you can get an admission.

How to find out if there is enough research money with the prof? Only he knows it. Chances are though, if he is publishing tens of papers, and has several students and post-docs, he has money. If he is working on a topic that is of interest, write to them. More often than not, unless a guy is working in the very same lab (or knows some one in that lab) he will have no idea about the financial position of the lab.

So, how to apply?

1) Choose your area of interest. Check the research papers and conf. proceedings and pick a list of 20 profs who are working on your field of interest.

2) Check each of their webpage. See how many recent publications they have, how many students they have and so on..

3) Narrow it down to 10 profs, which means 10 schools. In general, the faculty that publishes good many great works are in schools that are really good research-wise. Chances are that they are in the top 100 schools in US. So no worries there.

4) From their web pages, find their contact info, and send them emails and tell them you want to apply there..

5) TOEFL is a must. GRE is also a must. Often the scores you get are important. Sometimes they are not. If you have terrific academics (say president Gold Medalist, IIT Madras, MS from Stuttgart with 4 research papers in IEEE, forget about all that), just apply to any school. You will get an admission! In case you don't have such creds, but not too bad either, its best to have a good score. It won't get you an admission, but it will not harm you. In any case, its REQUIRED by the school for most admissions. Only very exceptional cases do they forego such stuff.

5) Once you have the scores, apply to the schools. If you are looking at Fall 2006 (most schools admit students only in Fall, which starts in late july-early sept), you must submit your applications by Feb 2006 (done point 1-4 by then!!).

6) You need to make sure that the apps and other material clearly state that you are looking for financial assistantship.

7) Keep email touch with the profs you want to work. Inform them about your apps, and ask them about it..

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thats it.

There is a good chance that you will get an admission. Usually its pretty straight forward. When I applies eons ago, I chose 6 schools (two top, two mid-rank and 2 not so great). Note that in all the schools the profs I applied were truly doing great work, but the school rankings are different. So, sow your seeds wisely. லாஸ்டா அந்த மாங்கா உங்களுக்கு தான்.. :P :P

Good luck!

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

visa related question...

PHDkku enna visa.. are they F1 too?

Shy
    I Geetham

All students have F1 visa.

F1 means a student. He/she is not allowed to work on any off campus jobs. On campus also, he/she is allowed for 20 hrs a week, provided that job is related to studies or directly benefit the student.

I am on F1 too..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Thank you very much vasan for detailed reply.

I will be back with my queries in next week.

thank you once again.
    தீயினால் சுட்ட புண் உள்ளாறும் ஆறாதே நாவினால் சுட்ட வடு - திருவள்ளுவ ர்

Sure.

Good luck again, IIG !

v-
    Short Measures

iig, you could try http://tiptop.iop.org .. i guess you wuld have tried it already, anyways..

hey by the way, if someone is looking for scholarship for masters programme in EU countries, check out the erasmus mundus scholarship programme.. there is another thread about it..

------
    Seny

good info vasan. iig vasan's info and advice is the best way to start ur search. All the best.

first of all, u need to be really organised to process this. decide when u r planning to join, accordingly divide ur days for TOEFL, GRE and application sending.

u first decide on which area u want to work. if u r badly in need to get admission in foreign university, then dont be focussed on one topic of research area i.e., u r into process engr now right?u must be doing some project on specific topic right? there must be some other topics in ur area itself right? so dont restrict urself to the same project topic for phD.
    bcoz when u apply for industry jobs after phD, if u r vesatile in ur area, it wud be an advantage.

then, regarding GRE and TOEFL, TOEFL is a must in all univ.in most of the US univ GRE is must.
    in some of the canadian univ, if the concerned prof whom u contact doesnt need ur GRE score,
    then he can waive GRE. TOEFL is must. Mainly the admission depends on ur gpa of ur current program and TOEFL , GRE score.

As vasan told, u collect the info reg profs ,their research interest, funding and publications.
    if any of ur current profs know detail about the profs doing good research in ur area, consult with him. bcoz ur prof may've more contact.

If u have any idea on what type of project u want to work on for ur phD, then prepare a prject proposal that wud be an added advantage.

if ur joining in any of canadian univs, visa is not a problem at all. not like US. its flexible.

all the best iig

lasik

oi oi.. good and detailed info.. super vasan. naan eppadi indha thread miss senchen..

cheers,

neenga appo geethmla oru pathu naaal illai

oh ya ya.. correct.. but any ippo paarthutten.. good info..

cheers.

romba thanks lasik..

have looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooong way to go.. still

Quote Originally Posted by iig

have looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooong way to go.. still
    good..

cheers.

enna iig, vasan ivalavu type panni irukkaaru ore vaarthela long way to go nnu solliteenga. :?

atleast give him an update at level r u now?

do ur level best iig u will get it

lasik

nichayama update pannuraen..

still in process appadingaradhaaaaa thaaan appadi sonnaen lasik..

oh appadiya, continue continue

lasik

kandippa update seyyuvaar iig.. dont worry lasik.

cheers.

Thanks v-, krish, ggg, lasik and all others for suggestions and advice

eggy..

kalakkunga..

2006-la update panna solli krish sonnathukku marakkaama 2008-la post pottu asaththiteenga..
    Krish-kku poruththamaana kuselan- neenga..

v-
    Short Measures

Quote Originally Posted by vasan View Post
    eggy..

kalakkunga..

2006-la update panna solli krish sonnathukku marakkaama 2008-la post pottu asaththiteenga..
    Krish-kku poruththamaana kuselan- neenga..

v-
    Naan open panna thread eppadi marakka mudiyum v-

நன்றி மறப்பது நன்றன்று'ன பெரியவங்க சொல்லி இருகாங்க இல்லையா v- :wik:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast