Do you cry watching sad movies?

View Poll Results: Do you cry during a sad film?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO way..U kidding...can't you see I'm too macho for that?

3 23.08%
  • No...my bf/gf/wife/hubby does all the crying for me

1 7.69%
  • I don't watch sad movies

0 0%
  • A few tears if I can't help it

7 53.85%
  • I am usuallly prepared with a box of tissues and a shoulder for support

1 7.69%
  • Shed a few buckets full everytime! Usually prepred with IV incase I get dehydrated.

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you cry watching sad movies?

Default Do you cry watching sad movies?

I wonder how many people will own up to crying during sad movies?

Movies (especially sad ones) are meant to dig into you and pull out strong emotions such as empathy, joy, anger etc. But who actually gives in? Which movies have found a way to break you?

Myself, I can keep it together at the movie theaters but at home I break quite easily. I couldn't watch the last scene of Nanda...oh I get a lump in my throat just thinking about the scene. Mahanadhi was emotionally-draining to say the least. I needed a few days to recover. I think a good shrink would have helped too.

Ferns

I don't cry. Thats not to say that the movies don't affect me - many make you feel very sad and picks on your empathies. And make you think....

Philadelphia is one such movie... Still makes one think, doesn't it? Spielberg made a believer out of me with Schindlers List (the last scene when the jewish jeweller presents him with a gold ring... terribly poignant!)... Watch Driving Miss Daisy... Woww..

Haven't watched any tamil movie in recent years (and earlier ones I don't remember!) that invoked such reactions..

Other pathos, and over acting blah blah makes me roll my eyes, and often hurt my stomach (laughing so hard.. )..

Vasan

ps: Igloo village became concrete jungle, and all of a sudden several topic trains are leaving off the Ferns Station, at very regular intervals.. :P :P Whats up Ferns? Sapiteengala? :P
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

i have shed few tears for few movies.. one of them is Schindlers List. although i have seen various versions of world war II.. this is one movie which knocked tears out of me. I dont know how many more of schindler jews exist .. would like to meet one of them ..

tamil movies are either scary , sarcastic , dump , funny , etc but i havent caved for any of them may be its because i fwd those scenes ....

have shed a few tears out of laughter too..

me to have a PS to ferns : after a long time ferny has changed avatar and location. whats up.... any change in status quo.. or have you broken da vinci code ?? lol
    Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing their idiot (re: George W. Bush)

I sense a cover up...'Macho Thatha'

Actually I didn't find Philadelphia all that compelling. Maybe it was because of Denzel...dunno I didn't even think Hanks deserved an Oscar for that.

ps: Apparently I'm better at physics than I am at choosing ice cream flavors It was last night that I took the train from King's cross station, platform nine and three-quarters. Igloo village to concrete jungle in a matter of hours. Mr.Kraft and Mrs.Sidekicks keeps me well fed

have shed a few tears out of laughter too..
    Perhaps I'm more lenient with tamil movies...but its the over acting, the sudden spurt of sudha tamil, the 'dun dun dun' musical score that get me choked up!

Yeah madhu Schindlers was pretty sad. I saw that at the theater..and I'm pretty good in public

PS: Nope no change..just a little sprucing up. I'm as ferny as always. As a matter of fact I did get to the bottom of the davinci code. Haven't solved the mystery yet though.

Nothing macho about it, missie. Just that the movies don't affect me that way.. :D

Books are another thing though.. I have laughed with Mr. Jeeves, felt lonely with Copperfield, cried with Pip, won races with Red, buried with a Set of Instructions not to mourn my death with the Mayor, cracked my head and learned something with Ganesh, and yeah been broken and forlorn and miserable and brave and sacrificial with Carton...

Oh.. I could go on and on... It takes a while to move me ( awwww Shuttttuppp !!!! Nothing to do with my body mass !!!!!!! ), and movies are too fast to move me to tears... You gotta sneak in on v- mind and grow on him.. not dazzle him like minnal..

Okvaa?

not a macho man, but just a mortal man v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

I dont like sad movies. but there are a two movies that have moistend my eyes
    1. life is beautiful
    2. kannathil muthamitaal.

I dont like movies with truck loads of tears or sad scenes which depict every hardship in life. always comedy movies thaan

-Siva
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

It takes a while to move me
    Ha but.....
    Nothing to do with my body mass !!!!!!!
    ....oh nevermind then

ok ok got it. Thatha's like to be strong for their youngins righta?

It was last night that I took the train from King's cross station, platform nine and three-quarters. Igloo village to concrete jungle in a matter of hours. Mr.Kraft and Mrs.Sidekicks keeps me well fed

Advanced booking panniyaacha? For the movie & the book? :P

Heard that Amazon is already taking orders... :P

v-
    Short Measures

Horray for Siva! A guy who finally can admit to 'moistened' eyes!

HOrray for comedies too..can't get enough of them either.

Heard that Amazon is already taking orders...
    Not yet. Should look into that. Or could start hinting that gifts with the Rowling brand are what I want this year!

Books are another thing though.. I have laughed with Mr. Jeeves, felt lonely with Copperfield, cried with Pip, won races with Red, buried with a Set of Instructions not to mourn my death with the Mayor, cracked my head and learned something with Ganesh, and yeah been broken and forlorn and miserable and brave and sacrificial with Carton
    did not see this bfore. yeah vasan, books are more appealing, they give the reader the previlege of creating there own stage, which is something the movies can never achieve.
    one of my favorite is Mill on the floss. :P :P

sorry ferns about the side track :D

-Siva
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

cried for movies..naah. i did feel a little hard to digest seeing certain scenes though, not cry, but feel it too much to see it again like Passion of Christ, second half scenes especially climax in almost every Bala movie(Sethu, Nandha, Pithamagan)

I hate seeing this stupid thali sentiment, or overacting annan thangachi sentiment..these are movies you gotto get a group of friends and make running commentary on.

I do like seeing some emotional movies like Sindhu Bhairavi, Kannathil Muthamittal, Sethu...never felt like crying for them though :P :P.
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

Never cried...though came very close once, while watchine a French movie called Irreversible. Those who might have seen it would be able to guess which scene I'm talking about.

Tamil movies are far too dimb mostly, to make you feel any emotion other than humour. In scenes where you need subtle emotions you get a generous triple helping. People change their faces as if though they have drunk vilakkennai in sad scenes, which is extremely funny.

I dont know why I can't shed a few tears. Maybe it is because I'm not an emotional person myself....
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Movies? Mostened eyes?? Sure, many movies( a correction, not necessarily movies, but scenes of even dumb movies ) have moistened my eyes.

Philadelphia for sure ranks high. Some scenes of Passion-Jesus Christ made my eyes wet. Mississippi burning, Time to Kill, No Mans Land, all had scenes which made that lump in my throat bigger.

Only recent Tamil movie that made me feel the same way would be Kannathil Muthamittal. The acclaimed Nanda, Sethu did not even make me blink an eye. Like dinesh said, the word subtlety has no place in Tamil movies. The lump that is supposed to be in my throat is in every character of that scene. The quota gets over and it becomes funny rather than serious.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

The recent movie "Kathal FM" moistened my eyes. Not because the movie moved me. Aana indha alavukku kooda keeeevalamaa oru padam edukka mudiyumaangara kaduppula nejamaave enakku azhugai vandhuduththu.

I very very very rarely cry watching movies. Almost 'no'nne sollalaam. One of the very few movies that made me cry was "Mahanadhi". Even when I watched "Nandha" I was just emotionally upset but did not cry. Other movie was "Black".

nalla supera azhuga varum........started with mondram pirai,anjali, .....................green mile,pasion of christ,anbe sivam............adhu periya list..................

The recent movie "Kathal FM" moistened my eyes. Not because the movie moved me. Aana indha alavukku kooda keeeevalamaa oru padam edukka mudiyumaangara kaduppula nejamaave enakku azhugai vandhuduththu.

Well, I have never cried after seeing a movie or even when I watch the movie But have felt sad/moved after seeing some of the movies like

Passion of the Christ - couldnt watch the scene where they rip off his back with the lash, man it was too hard to digest that scene

Anbe Sivam - a real touchy movie, I have ever seen in my mother tongue. Kamal has done an excellent work. No movie of anyone else' stands close to this one in Tamil.

Troy - very few scenes like, the scene where Hector dies after a great fight with Achilles

Pithamagan - just one scene, where Surya is cut into pieces and tied together in a sack (I wonder why Bala is not able to direct one happy movie )

நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

I have cried for lots of movies.. not through out the movie.. but for some scenes..
    here are few i could think of now...

Time to kill--> this is one of my favourite movie.. i cried at the climax court scene..

Kanaththil Muthamidal --> I think this would be the only movie i cried so much for .. too much memories

can't think of anything else right now.. will update this later
    azhagu kutty chellam unnai aLLi thookum pOdhu, un pinju viralgaL mOdhi naan nenjam udaindhu pOnaen

Just out of curiousity, Anbe Sivam'la azhara/eyes moisten aagara alavukku enna irundhuchu ive seen that movie twice, it was a very good movie, but nothing to cry in that movie though am i missing something
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast