On transit visa
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: On transit visa

Default On transit visa

Hi all

I am presently in Canada on a work permit and I also have valid US vistors visa. My question if I want to go through frankfurt do I need to get transit visa prior to my departure. Has anyone expereinced this? Please can they help me?

I saw in the webistes they say that if we have valid US/Canada visas then they do not need to get transit visa prior to departure and they will be issued when they arrive in the german airport. But to be more sure I want someone who have expereinced it to advice me so that I willo feel more comfortable. If they will issue transit visa in the airport do we have to pay any fees for that? Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you
    sakthi

Sorry.....emyesbee......I have no idea....I am bringing it up now......May be someone can help.

Cheers,
    - Valluvan

German consulate people told I need a transit visa but German website clearly shows if we have US/canada visa we need not get transit visa prior to departure. It is really utter confusion. I think it is better to avoid Frankfurt to be on the safer side.
    ~~~
    Blog

I am presently in Canada on a work permit and I also have valid US vistors visa. My question if I want to go through frankfurt do I need to get transit visa prior to my departure. Has anyone expereinced this? Please can they help me?

I saw in the webistes they say that if we have valid US/Canada visas then they do not need to get transit visa prior to departure and they will be issued when they arrive in the german airport. But to be more sure I want someone who have expereinced it to advice me so that I willo feel more comfortable. If they will issue transit visa in the airport do we have to pay any fees for that? Your help will be appreciated.
    I am not sure about the Canadian Visa Regulations. But as far as the USA visa's are concerned. You need to have the German Transit Visa, if your US Visa is already expired (you stayed back in US with your I-94, even after your visa expired). Same case with France too.

All my colleagues had to get the Transit Visa before they went to India for vacation, get it stamped with the new US Visa and then you dont need the transit visa. You basically should have an Active Visa from the place you come from and you go to (or the residential permit)
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

Default Re: On transit visa

Quote Originally Posted by emyesbee
    Hi all

Thank you
    sakthi
    i am not sure.. sakthi.. better to check with your travels agency.. they should give u a better answer.
    azhagu kutty chellam unnai aLLi thookum pOdhu, un pinju viralgaL mOdhi naan nenjam udaindhu pOnaen

Emyesbee,

I have not travelled via Frankfurt recently. But from the discussions we had among Indian group here, they dont insist on a transit visa if you have a valid visa and a confirmed onward ticket.

The airlines would be the best source. They wont allow you to board if you dont have the visa. Check with them.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Emyesbee, u dont need any transit visa for Germany when u r just taking the next flight to india. but if u want to go out even just for 5 min, then u need german visa. this i know it for sure becos some of my family members has already done that inorder to visit me.

hope this information is helpful for u.

cheers.

Hi all

Thank you very much to all of you. To be on the safer side I plan to book via London. As far as travel agents there is no problem if I go through London. The city which I was hesitant to go through at first now I am going through. That is life !!
    ~~~
    Blog

Hi all

Thank you very much to all of you. To be on the safer side I plan to book via London. As far as travel agents there is no problem if I go through London. The city which I was hesitant to go through at first now I am going through. That is life !!

sakthi

emyesbee,
    I dont think u need a transit visa if ur not planning to leave the airport....going thru london is an hassle with all the security u have to go thru...frankfurt is much quieter....Y dont u check with the Travel agent before booking thru london.

You won't need a transit visa if you're staying within the airport Sakthi (like Krish said). If it's a connecting flight...then you won't be asked for a transit visa! If you wish to go "out" of the airport...then depending on that country...you'd need a visa...!!!

Sakthi,

Post 9/11, all EU countries and US insists full visa obtained prior to arriving when you hold an Indian Passport. (Americans for example don't need prior visa).

If you are with in the international airport, out of one plane and into another, you are in the transit lounge. That area is as good as your airplane. YOU don't need a visa. But if you have say 10 hours stopover and instead of staying awake at the airport terminal, want to visit the city, you WILL need a visa. (It does not matter whether you have US visa, green card (!!), or onward ticket.)

So, if you are hanging out waiting for your next flight, and killing coupla hours at the airport terminal, it does not matter which airport (or country) you fly into. You are perfectly OK. But if you want to go out, you will need VISA for any of the EU countries.

Singapore it used to give one day transit visa (no fees, just stamping on your passport), prior to 9/11. But it seems like even they insist on full visa now. I don't know this for sure - but I heard it..

Vasan

Ps: London pona, Prince Charles & Lady Camilla-kku hello sollungo..
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by vasan
    So, if you are hanging out waiting for your next flight, and killing coupla hours at the airport terminal, it does not matter which airport (or country) you fly into. You are perfectly OK. But if you want to go out, you will need VISA for any of the EU countries.
    No Vasan.. if u r flying with british airways.. that is flying through london.. then u need UK visa even for flight changeover. we are experiencing this problem for the last 6 months. sometimes British airways gives cheap tickets but we cant use it becos of this visa problem. if we take this visa it is much expensive than other flight tickets.

so its better that sakthi should chek it with travel agent before he books his ticket.. but in germany, he dont need any transit visa if he is just taking connecting flight.

cheers.

Krish,

I flew via London in March 2005 and did not face problems with transit visa. I flew Air India though I suspect it might be the case with other airlines too. I did get out of the plane to the transit lounge.

Vasan, Frankfurt and London has this transit visa deal for passengers from India, Sri-Lanka( basically non-white countries, kind of racist, but yeah life sucks that way ). They are exempted only if they are flying to US and a list of countries with a valid visa and confirmed ticket.

Cheers

here is a relevant excerpt from http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch...1d2c66#except4

Airport transit travelers who are holding a valid visa for the USA (an approval notice is not sufficient), Canada or Switzerland, are not obliged to obtain an airport transit visa prior to departure. Until further notice for these travelers a “visa on arrival” will be issued by the competent authorities at the respective airport in Germany and no specific action is required from them to obtain an airport transit visa.
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

anainar, its really strange. when i asked travel agents about this he told me that i need visa for UK if i book ticket in British Airways. I really donno about the rules behind it.

but in frankfurt, its not like that. becos lots and lots of my friends are flying through frankfurt and also many of my relatives do that. but i am not sure about london now..

cheers.

You don't need to get a DATV(Direct Airside Transit Visa) for UK as well, if you are travelling in or out of US, Canada, Australia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Passengers exempt from the DATV requirement
    Holders of certain documents are, regardless of nationality, exempt from the requirement to hold a Direct Airside Transit Visa when transiting the UK.

A transit passenger is not required to hold a transit visa if he holds or a person with whom he arrives in the United Kingdom holds on his behalf:

1. a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country in respect of which the visa is held;
    2. a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country in respect of which the visa is held to another country or territory;
    3. a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, provided that the transit passenger does not seek to transit the United Kingdom on a date more than six months from the date on which he last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for entry to that country;
    4. a valid USA I-551 Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 21st April 1998;
    5. a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28th June 2002;
    6. a valid common format Category D visa for entry to an EEA State;
    7. a valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA State pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002;
    8. a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China; or
    9. a diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or,
    10. a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

Source: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1020786334922
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

Krish,

The transit visa is not required only for specific countries. From NS's list Germany does not figure in that list. So, if you are going to any country other than those three, you need transit visa.

But the airlines will not allow you to board if they know ahead of time about the visa requirements. It happened to one of my friend flying via London from the US to India. The airline staff refused boarding, but then she called her supervisor and HQ who faxed the order. Only after that they were allowed to board.

Cheers

Hi Guys

The problem was ultimately solved. I spoke to German consulate they told since I have valid Canadian visa I do not need to get transit visa before my departure but I will be issued in the German aiport itself without any charge and it is not our work they have to issue it, it is their problem not ours One more important thing is we have to make sure if the airlines which we are flying provides this facility to issue transit visa for us. For this I enquired in Lufthansa and they told they are providing it. So I have again reverted back to go through Frankfurt as I can avoid security hiccups in London I hope this will be a nice info for people gng from US/Canada to India via Frankfurt.

Once again thank you very much to you all for your responses. Geetham is great :P :D
    ~~~
    Blog

Emy where in Canada are u from???

I am from Canada too
    azhagu kutty chellam unnai aLLi thookum pOdhu, un pinju viralgaL mOdhi naan nenjam udaindhu pOnaen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast