Pls help me !!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pls help me !!

Default Pls help me !!

Hi All ,

I am Msc Business IT graduate , and im planning to do Phd .... but the problem is im not sure about phd , i dnt know what is all about ... i need someone to guide me ... I came to US 6 months ago , im currently on J2 visa ... Im not good in computing / IT , so that's the reason makes me difficult to choose a IT / computing based Topic for the Phd .... I have another question also , is there any possibilities where we can do distance learning / online Phd programs , i dnt have any working experience , i graduated 4 months ago and im 23 years only ... Do i need to do Phd only in computing field , or can i choose any other field i.e, psychology or anything else ... Pls advice me ....

Hi

welcome to geetham.pl be patient.......some one will help u. :D

You can do a PhD in any field you have a good academic background. I think you still need to take TOEFL and GRE. PhD in Distance learning never heard . I dont think experience would matter a lot, the only problem would be the acceptance of your MSc degree for a direct PhD admit. You might want to enquire a shortlist of universities with your academic background and research about the requirements.

Welcome to Geetham replysoon adhenna replysoon'nu oru id

PS: bobby enna post increasing strategy'a
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

PS: bobby enna post increasing strategy'a Wink

achoo appadi ellam illa NS ....vanthu pathuttu summa ponna nallava irrukum..athan oru reply poten

I am Msc Business IT graduate , and im planning to do Phd .... but the problem is im not sure about phd , i dnt know what is all about ... i need someone to guide me ... I came to US 6 months ago , im currently on J2 visa ... Im not good in computing / IT , so that's the reason makes me difficult to choose a IT / computing based Topic for the Phd .... I have another question also , is there any possibilities where we can do distance learning / online Phd programs , i dnt have any working experience , i graduated 4 months ago and im 23 years only ... Do i need to do Phd only in computing field , or can i choose any other field i.e, psychology or anything else ... Pls advice me ....
    if you ask me, I would suggest you to orient yourself first, on what you need to do. If you want just a namesake PhD you can do it anything, but somehow I feel it will be better to do your PhD in what you want to pursue in your career with.

If you can tell us specific area you wanted to continue with, we can suggest you on what can be done. I believe there are quite a lot of long-distance PhD courses available online. Not sure about the value it adds nor the value the certificate will bring for you. Simplest way is to google-it. Thats what I am gonna do, if I were to search for you. I would suggest you doing the same, rather than me doing the same and given the google search over here.

Let us know if we can be of any help in your pursuit. We would be glad to help you out.
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

Maybe you should try some finance or business management oriented course....even an MBA. Then again, you should only choose something that will play to your strengths. Without knowing what areas you are good in, I don't think it'll be possible to give a good answer.
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Replysoon,

When you have an id- like that, I am very tempted to reply a week later... Joking apart, first things first.. Welcome to Geetham..

And second of all... No ONLINE PhDs. Not unless you want to be self-employed. For example, doing an online PhD on English lit might be useful or fun - if you want to be a freelance writer.. just adds up to your resume and all that (so long as they are not giving you a job, they don't care how you got your degree.). If you are considering engg or business or science - don't even think about it..

Applying to a school for PhD admissions is the best possible solution - if you are in USA. In order to do that - or to go for any higher degree in USA, you MUST write GRE/Toefl. Ofcourse every self-respecting school in US would want it (only excuse is, if you are donating a couple of hundred millions to some schooll...!).. Note that performing arts schools have their own requirements.. And many business schools would ask for other exams than GRE...

PhD in computing field - pure/applied computer science - is pretty much limited to Computer science or Math Majors in most schools in US. Even if you have 10 years of experience as a user (pretty much every one has some experience) you will not get an admission with out this back ground..

Having said all the negative things.. here is some possible suggestions:

1) Based on your undergraduate/Masters curriculum, pick up a field thats closely related to your education. If I were you, I will look at a bunch of school webpages - take stanford.edu (the best), uci.edu (top 100), calstate fullerton (google it) a low ranking state school, for example - and see what Masters and PhD programs they have in Computer Science, and Business Schools. YOu will know where you stand and what is best for you - and how to seek more pointed help from any one..

2) Visit a school nearest to where you live. Each school will have people/officials who are employed just to guide students seeking admission. A quick look at the school webpage will show you who they are, and how to get an appointment etc.

3) Why do you wanna do a phd? I mean, are you planning to eventually find a job in an industry or do you wanna teach or do research (as your career?!). Business phds hardly get tons of employment as researchers - nearly every one end up as profs. If thats what you are interested.. then go right ahead. If you are only interested in being gainfully employed, please take a hard look at other MS options available. Shorter commitment and pretty much all the benefits..

4) One really good thing? You are amazingly young.. If you act reasonably quickly, you could finish things up and be employed and do what ever you intended to do... So all the very best - and tons of luck on your pursuits..

feel free to ask any other questions you might have. With the amount of details you have given, this is probably as much I can (or any one else) do at the moment..

best,

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Hi All ,

Thanks for the replies .. As a Msc Business IT graduate can i do Phd in psychology , do i need to start from the degree and if i want to do Phd in US do i need to master again , if yes it will take lots of time , i hate to redo it again ... I really dnt know what topic to choose , confusing .... Can anyone tell me which field is better , for job wise ...

Waiting for the reply ...

Once again thanks to all the replies ....

replysoon,
    in my personal opinion i would'nt advise for a PhD totally out of your academic background, perhaps a Masters in Psychology might give you a certain orientation to what you want to do in your Phd. somtimes your PhD research work might well be an extension of your Masters research work. some of people who'm I know have done like that, the overall length before you complete your PhD might be a little long, but it would be a lot more smoother in the sense, you would get a feel while you do your Masters that this is something you want to do your PhD on.

the first thing you might want to do is to compile a list of univs that offer psychology and get the requirements. that should give you an idea how to proceed.
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

Dear Replysoon,

In my personal opinion, you can choose a interdisciplinery topics like Industrial and Business Psychology only if u are really interested in Psychology. The other options may be Financial management, IT management, International marketting etc. Do not opt for a static subjects unless you have a Masters degree in it.

Thanks

Senthil
    Katrathu kaiviral nagathalavu, kallathathu ipperandam alavu

+ Reply to Thread