+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boy talks to girl in college, both are fined

Default Boy talks to girl in college, both are fined

Boy talks to girl in college, both are fined

Thursday, March 18, 2004
    Boy talks to girl in college, both are fined
    Thursday March 18 2004 10:40 IST

CHENNAI: What can happen when a boy and girl are ‘caught’ talking to each other in college? Try this: They are fined, suspended or made to stand in the sun for two or three hours. They may also lose attendance points and their pictures are put up on the notice board for all to see.

And all of these often happen in some co-educational centres of learning such as the Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, and other Jeppiar institutions such as St. Joseph’s College, Panimalar College, St. Mary’s College and some other engineering colleges like RMK Engineering College and Madha Engineering College. Boys and girls in these places are not allowed to speak to each other and are punished even if they converse on academic subjects or are constrained to borrow anything from one another.

In Sathyabama Institute, they sit separately in classrooms and labs. The boys have male lab attendants, the girls have female attendants. There are ‘attenders’ (read spies) to make sure the young people are not breaking rules. They are punished even if found together outside the campus.

Karthika (name changed) of Sathyabama Institute describes how absurd the policing can get: ‘‘Once my friend was pulled up for asking the boy next to her about a computer program. Both their parents were called.’’ She found it outrageous that the authorities should bother about such trivialities when there aren’t any campus interviews at the institute.

Preethi (name changed) of RMK College of Engineering had an even more bizzare story: ‘‘Two of my classmates are twins, a girl and a boy. They were suspended for a week for speaking to each other.’’

Sudheesh (name changed) of Sathyabama Institute sounds worried: ‘‘This will affect us when we go out into the professional world. We won’t be able to communicate with our women colleagues.’’

Mercifully, as Smitha (name changed) of Madha Engineering College says, rules are not always kept. ‘‘In spite of the rules, we speak to the boys. As long as we are careful and don’t get caught, it is all right.’’

What do the colleges have to say? Chairman of Jeppiar Educational Trust, Jeppiar, denies there are any such rules: ‘‘Some families give instructions to their children and the children themselves may follow it. We have not punished anyone for talking to each other. In fact, at seminars and symposiums they do talk to each other.’’

But he goes on to say that the day scholars are not allowed to mingle with the boarders. Why? ‘‘Because that is bad habit.’’

Also, Jeppiar does not see why his students should visit cinemas or restaurants. ‘‘We provide everything here. I do not even have a canteen run by an outsider. We provide them with whatever they want, sweets, ice-creams, you name it. Why should they go elsewhere? If my students go out and mingle (in cinema theatres, restaurants) somebody will let me know about it,’’ he says.

Does he punish the students? ‘‘No, we don’t punish them. We only inform their parents,’’ he says.

Dr MRJayatheertha Rao, Principal, RMK College, says students are seated separately in class and he does not see what’s wrong with that. ‘‘Do you want them to sit next to each other?’’ he asks. ‘‘Anyway, they have mixed seating during the examinations and they do their training programmes together.’’

Pressed for more details, he says there are ‘‘some restrictions’’ for Ist and 2nd year students to ensure that the youngsters’ minds are ‘‘not diverted’’. But he adds that the students are only ‘‘warned’’ if caught talking, not ‘‘punished’’.

Repeated attempts to reach the Secretary of Higher Education Department over phone and fax, drew a blank. But, more than a month ago, a senior department official confirmed receiving the fax and said this was the first time the department had heard about what’s going on in these colleges. He said he would comment only after receiving a report that he has asked for from the Director of Technical Education.

On Wednesday, after waiting to hear from him all this time, when this reporter called up the same official, he said a team was supposed to visit these colleges to ascertain what was happening, but they hadn’t because the Director had been busy with some court cases.

He also said that he would speak to the Director again and would get back in a week’s time.

Whatever the ‘‘merits’’ of not letting boys and girls talk to each other, the psychologists on this paper spoke to do not think it is a good idea.

Dr Cherian, Director, Research and Treatment, TTK Hospital, says ‘‘suppression’’ only leads to unhealthy behaviour. Dr R Padamavati, Director, SCARF (Schizophrenia Research Foundation) and Psychiatrist, Sundaram Medical Foundation, says treating young adults like kids does not help because youngsters do not learn to behave like adults.

Sudha Ramalingam, Advocate, Madras High Court, says there is no law governing codes within a campus, but colleges cannot form by-laws preventing interaction between the sexes.

if u dont believe me go see dis site....
    http://www.my-tamil.com/n/a/arc2-2004.shtml
    Expecting the world to be good to you coz you're good to them is like expecting a lion not to eat you coz you're vegetarian. ~!~

கலிகாலம் வருதோ இல்லையோ.. ஸ்டோன் ஏஜ் வந்து இருக்கு...

The civil law in India is so pathetic.. Otherwise the student should sue the heck out of the schooollll.. Bunch of idiots..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Preethi (name changed) of RMK College of Engineering had an even more bizzare story: ‘‘Two of my classmates are twins, a girl and a boy. They were suspended for a week for speaking to each other.’’
    how stupid

these people are perverted souls. I dont know what benefit they get by these kind of rules, but definitely its harmful as the psychologist has mentioned
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

what the hell
    azhagu kutty chellam unnai aLLi thookum pOdhu, un pinju viralgaL mOdhi naan nenjam udaindhu pOnaen

JPR....yokkiathaaa ooorukee theriyum.......
    I am back.........

Quote Originally Posted by GCB
    how stupid

these people are perverted souls. I dont know what benefit they get by these kind of rules, but definitely its harmful as the psychologist has mentioned
    ithanaikum, they were my batch, my friends,next block la than ECE dept..

ivanga inga kodukira justifications athanaiyum appatammana poi
    100% liars...
    intha mathiri ethachum thappu panna.. namala kevalama thituvanunga..
    even use bad words..
    and ask our parents to report to college in person..
    parents vantha kandukavey maatanunga...
    kalaila vantha parents evening 5 varikum chariman block la ninnutu irupanga..
    becoz it was their ward who did the mistake so being his/her parents they have to
    be waiting for the whole day .. like a punishment ..

ivalavu yen. ... ennoda first freshers day anniku, function nadakum,
    enga coll than saapaadu podarthula no.1 aachey..
    function mudinjathuku aprum ellararyum mess ku poga sonnanga.
    anga pona appa ellam thaniya seperate mess, amma ellam thaniya seperate mess..
    ithuku enna solreenga ?
    Expecting the world to be good to you coz you're good to them is like expecting a lion not to eat you coz you're vegetarian. ~!~

What do the colleges have to say? Chairman of Jeppiar Educational Trust, Jeppiar, denies there are any such rules: ‘‘Some families give instructions to their children and the children themselves may follow it. We have not punished anyone for talking to each other. In fact, at seminars and symposiums they do talk to each other"
    What a Blatant lie. Jeppiaar definitely wouldnt have said this. I can bet my last Euro on this. I have never heard him speak a regular sentence in english. Google for Jeppiar jokes if you dont beleive me.

- Silix
    Idhellam kandukkura padadhu Yenna Idhu Vaalipppa vayasu!
    சிலிக்கன்

Stone age people

Being a product of one such college, I've gone through all this as well.

They are fined, suspended or made to stand in the sun for two or three hours. They may also lose attendance points and their pictures are put up on the notice board for all to see.
    I have seen the others occur, but the boldened one seems way too outrageous does that exist

The boys have male lab attendants, the girls have female attendants.
    this is too much. but if the college has so much money they can go ahead with such stupid investments.

In fact, at seminars and symposiums they do talk to each other.
    infact thats the only place they talk, illena matha college pasanga munnadi pannina maanam poidum'la.

But, more than a month ago, a senior department official confirmed receiving the fax and said this was the first time the department had heard about what’s going on in these colleges.
    are these people in caves or what? i am sure what happens inside Sathyabama and similar colleges is pretty well known among engineering students and people associated with it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    An interesting event that happened in my college days related to the above topic. One of my senior's parents were called in during one such incident. Instead of the principal advicing, the parent blasted the principal for wasting his time for such a petty incident. adha kettu kettu sandhosha pattom.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    But seriously the people who are affected the most with all such restrictions are the hostel girls. poor souls used to be treated like crime suspects. guys dint have much pressure hostel-wise. college wise both are treated equally bad.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    And despite all the restrictions, there are still quite a good number of love marraiges that take place every year.
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

silix don worry man, i have a huge collection of jeppiar jokes
    written by an alumni of sathyabama..
    athu apruma jokes section,la post panren...

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie
    But seriously the people who are affected the most with all such restrictions are the hostel girls. poor souls used to be treated like crime suspects. guys dint have much pressure hostel-wise. college wise both are treated equally bad.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    And despite all the restrictions, there are still quite a good number of love marraiges that take place every year.
    ah ha... ungaluku 10kilos Meiji chocalates vangi koduthu, McDonalds la oru periya treat vaikanumnu thonuthu...
    intha oru varthai kekka 4yrs nan kathu irunthen...

Quote Originally Posted by legend
    function mudinjathuku aprum ellararyum mess ku poga sonnanga.
    anga pona appa ellam thaniya seperate mess, amma ellam thaniya seperate mess..
    ithuku enna solreenga ?
    ennappa solre idhu romba overa irukke appa, amma'vellam restrict panrathukku ivanunga yaaru seriously though, I never knew RMK too had "psycho" staffs (i hope you don't mind the proud adjective.) like this

enna panradhu irukkura kaduppa ippadi kotti theethukitta dhaan undu .

Appo enna pasangalukku male faculty and ponnungalukku female facultyaa... Illai usuala faculty ellam antha collegelaiye graduate aana studentsa irupaanga... athaan kaetten ..
    மின்னல் பாதி தென்றல் பாதி மங்கை ஆனது

Quote Originally Posted by ns
    (i hope you don't mind the proud adjective.)
    ivala than neenga enna purinjikiteengala ?
    intha mathiri bracket'la potu enna kadupethateenga...
    naney thitta mudiyama enna control pannitu iruken..
    neenga thitum bodhu nan poi mind pannuvena..

Quote Originally Posted by ns
    enna panradhu irukkura kaduppa ippadi kotti theethukitta dhaan undu
    hmmm,.. ipdi than enga 4yrs kazhinjathu...
    ipo sollunga nangalam evallo miss panni irukom vazhkaila..
    illa vazhkaila nu solla koodathu,.. vazhkaiye ....

Quote Originally Posted by ashok
    Appo enna pasangalukku male faculty and ponnungalukku female facultyaa... Illai usuala faculty ellam antha collegelaiye graduate aana studentsa irupaanga... athaan kaetten ..
    u are bit rite ashok.. some of our lecturers are our seniors..
    ipo enga college'la ME vera 2 dept start pannitan..
    so ini professors kooda ethir pakalam...
    rmk'vil padithu rmk'viley job. ...

nalla offer illa...

Cool way to make money......if only the uni's here use it, they would be able to offer free education for every student
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Quote Originally Posted by ashok
    Appo enna pasangalukku male faculty and ponnungalukku female facultyaa
    idhuvaraikkum andha madiri engayum kelvi padale.

Illai usuala faculty ellam antha collegelaiye graduate aana studentsa irupaanga.
    hehe adhennamo unmai dhaan. adhunga dhaane train aagi irukkunga
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ungaluku 10kilos Meiji chocalates vangi koduthu, McDonalds la oru periya treat vaikanumnu thonuthu.
    eppo eppo seekrama sollu
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    one more interesting happening was when one of our lecturers got engaged to another from a different department. both were called to the principal's office for that

Hmm!! Do these incidents actually happen? I had a classmate during my masters who worked at one such college. He used to recount stories of how they used to segregate based on gender, but it was still not to this extent.

One word! Horrible!! I wish these things in the name of moral policing stops.

Cheers
    Every dog has its day. Today is my day.

Quote Originally Posted by anainar
    Hmm!! Do these incidents actually happen?
    ithu romba romba aniyayam..
    ivallo neram ellathayum padichitu..
    ipdi kekureengaley...ithu nyayama ?
    apo nan, nanga ellam poi ya sollitu irukom...

ivala than neenga enna purinjikiteengala ?
    intha mathiri bracket'la potu enna kadupethateenga...
    naney thitta mudiyama enna control pannitu iruken..
    hehe adhunaala dhaan chinna level'la use panninen. mathappadi illena 'ponmozhigal' dhaan .

nadantha visayatha than nan solren. i dint cooked it or tailored it,....
    neenga keta athey kelviyathan nangalum engalukulla ketukitom.
    adhellam parents dhaan pa kekkanum. avanga pasangaloda future'ku bayandhu kekka maatengraanga. appuram namba anga student'a irundhu enna kekka mudiyum sollu .

ipdi than enga 4yrs kazhinjathu...
    ipo sollunga nangalam evallo miss panni irukom vazhkaila..
    illa vazhkaila nu solla koodathu,.. vazhkaiye
    appadi ellam illappa. 4 years are over. no use crying about it. the people who'm you studied don't disappear. they're still there. now that you are free from the clutches of the "college" whose stopping you from talking to them? sure it would take some time to get out of that stupid mentality and get back to your sane state.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    anainar, these things do happen in certain colleges. the reason is because some parents do encourage such crap. and nothing can be any external agency on such things unless a serious problem arises.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast