Buying Vegetables & fruits
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying Vegetables & fruits

Default Buying Vegetables & fruits

Vendaikaiai udachu paarthu vanganumnu solluvango...inge udachiti irundha kadaikarar kobapaduvaru ...the one i always have problem is getting coconut...paartha nalla irukum veetile vandhu udachu paartha its spolied :? .....Can some experts share their expertise how to buy good vegetables & fruits

Vanakkam, Pattampoochi..

Enakku therincha tips solluren.. Whatever I seemed to remember..

1) Drumsticks முருங்கை காய் - hold it own hand, and gently twist with the other hand. The good ones are young and flexible and easy to twist. Old முத்தின காய் will be hard to twist. So avoid.

2) egg plant / brinjal கத்தரிக்கா ய் = you can see the stems. If it looks green and fresh, the vegetable is fresh. If it looks dull and lifelfess, don't bother.

3) All the leafy vegetables & cauliflower - you can see if its fresh or old. Cabbage and Cauliflower, also look at the stems. Some times these people will remove top leaves and make it look artificially fresh. But the stems will show if its old and dried.

4) Coconut - car key vacchu light-aa, on the shell, thattunnga.. if you hear clear sound, the thengai is good. If you hear muffled sound, (like you are tapping on some cloth covered on the shell), its mostly spoiled. You can also see the kaN கண் for the thengaai.. if its spoiled, it will look too soft... you can push lightly a key too see how soft it is.. (kaN is the three dimples you will find on the top of the coconut.. you know, under the 'kudumi'.. :P )..

5) When you want to buy eggs கோழி முட்டை.. :P, take two, and dash them against each other.. damaalnnu rendum odainchittaa, left hand-la irukkirathu good egg..

rr.. All comments are my opinions.. most of them are correct. however, you might have to experiment a little bit before you see the 'wisdom' in thaathaa's words, and take it in the correct sense..

If you still think the 5th suggestion is true, avoid going to the market..

v- :D
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Thanks for the tips anna

Coconut - car key vacchu light-aa, on the shell, thattunnga.. if you hear clear sound, the thengai is good. If you hear muffled sound, (like you are tapping on some cloth covered on the shell), its mostly spoiled
    Will try it next time i get a thengai ...guess it might work for watermelon too ...have seen ppl tapping on watermelon :D

all the thengai here comes with kudumi...& we cant take the kudumi off appuram annachi kobapaduvaru

5) When you want to buy eggs கோழி முட்டை.. , take two, and dash them against each other.. damaalnnu rendum odainchittaa, left hand-la irukkirathu good egg..
    Duhhhhhhhhhh...its supposed to be kozhi muttai with vaathu muttai ...appo than correcta kandu pudika mudium

wat about mangoes?....coz when i buy mangoes they look good but within 2 days the outside turns black & it gets spoiled...even if u get it when its green :?

its supposed to be kozhi muttai with vaathu muttai

Really.. hmm.. the only time I saw vaaththu muttai was in my maths test.. (My teacher was really mean.. :P )..

~~~~~~~~

Buying mangoes is an art. Haven't had much experience either.. (Vegetables buying was my job.. fruits and such are my Dad's.. )... However, I have seen my dad check for firmness of the mango. Don't squeeze it hard but hold it in your hands and slightly press.. If the Mangoes are firm and its good. If its over-ripe or going bad, it will feel like watery and 'loose'...

The color of the skin is only a good indicator for certain mangoes. Some mangoes will have the green color, even when its ripe, and fall off the trees rotten. So its not a good indicator.

Also, Mangoes are typical tropical fruits. Once harvested, it would not stay in prime condition for longer than a week or ten days. Certainly after two weeks it will go bad.. (refrigerating it won't help, because mangoes will lose its fresh taste, and any tropical fruit which is not fresh is just plain bad..)..

So, if you buy the mango fruits, pleae eat before 3-5 days.

If you buy kutti-mangoes (unripened ones, small sized for vadu maanga.. or to pickle it), it will stay for a week of so, but even that its best to salt it and let it become pickle.. :P

Having grown up in mango-land, I should have paid more attention... Sadly, all I did learn was, how to aim at a mango and bring it down with one shot, and run to catch it, before it hits the ground.. :P :P But thats a different art, and meant for another day..

Vasan
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

fly............. i know how to buy veges and fruits...

take ammaa grocery shopping
    azhagu kutty chellam unnai aLLi thookum pOdhu, un pinju viralgaL mOdhi naan nenjam udaindhu pOnaen

Vendaikai: Okra:

Just press in the middle..rombha azhunthuchinaa pinchi....azhutha mudiyalai na muthalaa

Brinjal:
    Stem paarunga then rombha soft aagavm irukaa koodaathu rombha hard aagavum irukka koodathu

Coconut:
    My mom always used to ask me to take the shell off...when she takes the coconut to the temple...
    She never allows anyone to remove the shell if the coconut is for temple...

Coconuts in europe and america are not fresh....
    Two things you should do:
    1) shake the coconut u shd hear the sound of water inside, if not do not buy it
    2) if u play carrom board u hit a striker with middlefinger pressed against the thumb..similarly strike the coconut u shd hear a sound if u strike a table (tok tok)..
    The more the sound the better is the coconut (do not break your fingers or break the coconut).

Jackfruit:
    Check the gaps between the thorns....more the gap better is the taste

Vera enna vanganum Butterfly.......
    I am back.........

Apple:
    There is to be a belief that darker the colour better is the taste...but recent findings prooved that no such relationship exist.
    But i still persist with the belief in buying the apples

Banana:
    Do u want it to eat in a day...make sure its pale yellow intha color

If u want to have it after couple of days: buy greenish yellow

Permogranates:Guava
    The harder is the better. Also make sure there are no damages and surfaces are free from dark brown colour.

Lemon:
    Press it , should be hard. if the shop keeper doesnt notice just scratch the skin with u nail and smell the fragrance...A good and fresh lemon should have strong fragrance.

Potato, carrot, (all veg that grow beneath the ground)
    Free from surface damages
    Peel the skin should be hard again, and if u cud c some moisture its fresh potato.

Buterflyyyy

Thengai...just like Vasan said - tap it and check the eyes Also....nalla thengai na colour light'a irrukum...if the colour is really dark brown then that means it's most probably an old thengai...so avoid buying those ones! And also...just as Captain K said...shake the thengai..if it sounds like the thengai is full (waterwise) and feels heavy, then that's a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa
    kaN is the three dimples you will find on the top of the coconut.. you know, under the 'kudumi'..
    Vasa...enakku oru santhegam Ellathukkum rendu kannu....so athu yean thengai'ku mattum moonu kannu??? :? :?

Thanks so much katteri & Priyam

Katteri,
    I have problem buying coconut, mangoes,appuram plantain :?

Thanks for the tips will follow them on my next shopping

shake the thengai..if it sounds like the thengai is full (waterwise) and feels heavy, then that's a good one
    Priyam & katteri,
    This is wat amma tell me too...but doesnt seem to work :?

Oh ho...theriya'illaiye Butterfly...amma appadi than vangavanga........

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly
    Thanks so much katteri & Priyam

shake the thengai..if it sounds like the thengai is full (waterwise) and feels heavy, then that's a good one
    Priyam & katteri,
    This is wat amma tell me too...but doesnt seem to work :?
    Easy idea..pattams. :D

Shop-laye odachchu vaangirunga.....If it is spoiled, annachchi-ya vera coconut thara sollungo..okaya?
    - Valluvan

12. Thumbs up tips for veg.

As said see the head pavadai of the brinjal, it should be fresh, thick and the handle of the brinjal should not be ''SURINGI, OLLIYA '' IRUNDAL, adu old.

Carrot see the leaf portion ; the thick top ;to check whether it is old. so also for radish, beetroot.
    Bittergourd notmany thorny ones, better to select the medium green, young small ones.
    PUDALANGAAI also to slightly twist and see for ''MUTTINADU ''

After bringing them., cut the top dark side of carrot, radish to make them fresh.
    Always remove the top layer of cabbage once you bring home to prevent any infection[ many would have taken it in hand to see]
    Never keep anything with brinjal , as brinjal has the tendency to rotten other vegetables.

Remove the stem[ kambu] of green chillies and store them. It will stay longer.
    Cutting drumstick into pieces will make it remain fresh.
    Before cookking the vegetables apply salt and keep for 2,3 min to enhance cooking.
    If possible boil for 2 min in hot water, esp veg; like [dhondaikai, cabbage, pavakkai, pudaklangai.]

i was thing to start this thread............

Butterfly.....ippa coconut olunka buy pannureengala??

for mango.......smell it and buy it.....

athusari how do u guys buy casava kilangu(maravallikilangu)

naan buy pannaaika.....adipaakam(end of the root) killipaarthu vaanguvan....other then that any other way ????
    நான் பெரிது நீ பெரிது என்று வாழாமல் நாடு பெரிது என்று வாழ்வோம்!

Quote Originally Posted by vennpuraa View Post
    i was thing to start this thread............

Butterfly.....ippa coconut olunka buy pannureengala??

for mango.......smell it and buy it.....

athusari how do u guys buy casava kilangu(maravallikilangu)

naan buy pannaaika.....adipaakam(end of the root) killipaarthu vaanguvan....other then that any other way ????
    Pura...kizhangu i used to buy the thin one and strong one.....athu ilasa irukkum..i mean...if u steamor boil...it becomes tender soon...athu nalla tastya irukkum... don't buy the big size ones...romba harda irukkum cook panna...it consumes time also to boil...

yaso

but u see...sometime anthakilangila.........black/greenish coloraa varumai....athu illaama eppadi paarthu edukkirathu???

Quote Originally Posted by vennpuraa View Post
    but u see...sometime anthakilangila.........black/greenish coloraa varumai....athu illaama eppadi paarthu edukkirathu???
    Pura athaan sonnene...first see the bright colour...nalla brownisha iruntha athu fresh one...then u see the strong ones....kai thotta nalla kallu mathiri irukkanum....methu methunnu iruntha thats is old one sariya... athu thaan antha colour changeku karanam...

yaso

sari..next time follow pannuran

+ Reply to Thread