which dry fish to buy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: which dry fish to buy

Default which dry fish to buy

Hi ,
    I wanted to know which canned dry fish to buy in US to make karuvaadu . Please suggest some brands of canned dry fish or the name of the fish which we can get in some of the asian markets in US .

Thanks,
    Mgan

canned dry fish

I don't think there is any such thing as canned dry fish.. Canning and drying/salting are two different ways of preserving food. No one would do it twice.

I am also not sure if dry fish is available in most of the general grocery shops in US. Your best chance is to try some asian grocery shops. There aren't any famous brand names that I know of..

On what to buy.. buy a little bit of several varieties.. and choose whatever you like.

Oh.. If you make some nice karavattu kuzhambu, send me too.. :P :P (I will cook nice nice hot hot rice.. )..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

i brought karuvaadu from SL..........

have to get my mom to make it for this weekend
    azhagu kutty chellam unnai aLLi thookum pOdhu, un pinju viralgaL mOdhi naan nenjam udaindhu pOnaen

dry fish = karuvaddu

nethli karuvaddu kutti kutit ya irukemi adhu thaneei

my bhabhi eppavum panum..my bhaiya yummy ya sapiddum

karuvattu kolambu en machaannuku rombho piddikum.

iddhu song

sorry no idea amurugan.
    (but mum buys small dry fish pieces- maldive fish pieces, I think she gets the Leela brand comes in a bottle (sl brand)dunno if u get that it USA)

while we're talking about fish,
    can you make fish kulambu using smoked fish?

blue.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Hi You can try croaker fish dried (salai karuvadu) and anchovy (nethili) in Chinese Asian Market (CAM) which are really good for making karuvattu kolambu and chukka.

Murugan if you are in NJ, try the Asian Food Center (AFC) in Route 27 or You can always go to Chinatown. You get all kind of dried fishes there
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

+ Reply to Thread