Sports Bar (random sound bytes on sports) - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sports Bar (random sound bytes on sports)

Ric Bucher on the DailyDime for ESPN.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ilydime-060411

Let's see your valuables, sir
    By Ric Bucher
    ESPN The Magazine

Anybody else sick of the MVP race already? I haven't even filled out my ballot and I don't want to read, hear or say another word on the subject. Being the kind of guy who finds self-inflicted pain interesting, naturally I volunteered to write a column on the subject.
    This year, it seems, the MVP conversation began two weeks into the season and has never let up. Remember when Elton Brand was a front-runner back in December? Didn't even Andrei Kirilenko get a mention after the Jazz bolted to that 4-2 start? Or was that his wife after ESPN The Magazine revealed her once-a-year-freebie for Andrei?

My point being: All the fuss about who is deserving and who isn't and what makes for an MVP and what doesn't is akin to debating what length of skirt turns a girl from sexy to a ****. No one ever has defined it and no one ever will. You eyeball the evidence and decide based on your personal tastes.

From all the conversations I've had on the MVP subject -- and, trust me, I've had five for every comment I've made on air or online -- MVP has a variety of meanings. For some, it's MEP, or the league's Most Excellent Player. For others, it's MVPOAWT, or Most Valuable Player on a Winning Team. Here's a popular one: MSIPOATTWBTE or Most Statistically Impressive Player on a Team That Was Better Than Expected. Generally, the easiest and safest pick is MVPOTBT: Most Valuable Player on the Best Team. This year has brought a new one to the mix: MDPDTSOATTFS, or Most Dominant Player Down the Stretch on a Team that Finished Strong. And, finally, there's MIP, or Most Indispensable Player, as in the guy whose team would absolutely fall apart without him.

If there's a reason to be particularly fed up with all the Let-me-tell-you-who-the-MVP chatter is this season, other than it has been going on all season and continues to mutate, that's precisely it. Without first defining MVP, and acknowledging that it's your definition and not necessarily anyone else's, it's like raging at your friends for not agreeing with your choice of Air Jordans.

So, for what it's worth, here are my choices for all of the above. And, yes, here's the disclaimer: These are my definitions. Acronymites, feel free to create your own, order your own hardware and have your own happy little award ceremony. The guy who eventually wins the real deal will not feel slighted, I promise you.

MEP --Kobe Bryant.

MVPOAWT -- Dwyane Wade.

MSIPOATTWBTE -- Elton Brand.

MVPOTBT -- Chauncey Billups.

MDPDTSOATTFS -- LeBron James.

MIP -- Steve Nash.

Of course, I might just ask my 3-year-old daughter, Chance, to draw five stick figures -- she just learned how -- and make my selections based on which NBA players they most resemble. The problem with that is, having seen her work, I might have to explain to the league office how Stromile Swift and Francisco Elson made my ballot.

And when it comes to self-inflicted pain, you have to draw the line somewhere.
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Picture is there, but not so clear..

Here is the playoff cuts.. who made it.. :P Their seeds are tight.. will know them later this week..

East:

Rk Team GB
    1 -Pistons* -
    2 -Heat* 12.0
    3 -Nets* 15.0
    4 -Cavaliers 16.0
    5 -Wizards 24.0
    6 -Pacers 25.0
    7 -Bucks 25.0
    8 -Bulls 25.0

WEST

1 -Spurs* -
    2 -Suns* 9.0
    3 -Nuggets* 17.0
    4 -Mavericks 1.5
    5 -Grizzlies 14.0
    6 -Clippers 15.0
    7 -Lakers 17.5
    8 -Kings 18.5

Knicks are the last.. Just one place point better than the trailblazers..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

Adding a new flavor...

Rossi is on top after Qatar... is he going to emerge back on top in 06 after a weak start??? see this weekend...
    மின்னல் பாதி தென்றல் பாதி மங்கை ஆனது

LAAAAASSSTTTT Day of Regular Season. :P :P

Lakers taking on NewOrleans (to retain their 7th seed & play off against Suns)
    Wizards taking on Pistons (possibly 2nd tier team) to retain 5th position and a chance against Cavs.. :P :P

Rest of the 10 + games are just exhibition games.. :P :P

Lets see how it turns out.. :P :P

NEXT WEEKKKKK PlayOFFS.. .:P :P WOWWWWW>>>> :P :P

v-
    Short Measures

PLAY OFF brackets are SET >>>>

First round begins this Saturday with Lakers taking on Suns at Phoenix

Eastern Conference

No. 1 Detroit (64-18 ) vs. No. 8 Milwaukee (40-42)
    No. 2 Miami (52-30 ) vs. No. 7 Chicago (41-41)
    No. 3 New Jersey (49-33 ) vs. No. 6 Indiana (41-41)
    No. 4 Cleveland (50-32) vs. No. 5 Washington (42-40 )

Western Conference

No. 1 San Antonio (63-19) vs. No. 8 Sacramento (44-38)
    No. 2 Phoenix (53-28 ) vs. No. 7 Los Angeles Lakers (45-37)
    No. 3 Denver (44-37) vs. No. 6 Los Angeles Clippers (47-35)
    No. 4 Dallas (60-22) vs. No. 5 Memphis (49-33 )
    So? Any predictions for the first round? :P

v-
    Short Measures

Havent seen the playoffs for quite a while, anyways here are my predictions though..

Eastern conference
    No.1: Pistons
    No.2: Heat
    No.3: Nets
    No.4: -no idea-

Western conference:
    No. 1: Spurs
    No. 2: Lakers (Kobe is da man :P)
    No. 3: -no idea-
    No. 4: Mavs
    ~~~~~
    This weekend is the race Imola babay :P :P
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

My pick

EC
    Pistons
    Heat
    Pacers
    Caveliers

WC
    Spurs
    Suns
    Nuggets
    Mavs
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

Qualifying results at Imola (look at that last name, I cant stop laughing at that):

1. 5 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'22"795
    2. 12 BUTTON Honda M 1'22"988
    3. 11 BARRICHELLO Honda M 1'23"242
    4. 6 MASSA Ferrari B 1'23"702
    5. 1 ALONSO Renault M 1'23"709
    6. 7 R.SCHUMACHER Toyota B 1'23"772
    7. 4 MONTOYA McLaren Mercedes M 1'24"021
    8. 3 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'24"324
    9. 8 TRULLI Toyota B 1'24"172
    10. 9 WEBBER Williams Cosworth B 1'24"795
    11. 2 FISICHELLA Renault M 1'23"771
    12. 17 VILLENEUVE BMW Sauber M 1'23"887
    13. 10 ROSBERG Williams Cosworth B 1'23"966
    14. 14 COULTHARD RedBull Ferrari M 1'24"101
    15. 16 HEIDFELD BMW Sauber M 1'24"129
    16. 20 LIUZZI Toro Rosso Cosw. M 1'24"520
    17. 15 KLIEN RedBull Ferrari M 1'25"410
    18. 21 SPEED Toro Rosso Cosw. M 1'25"437
    19. 18 MONTEIRO Midland Toyota B 1'26"820
    20. 19 ALBERS Midland Toyota B 1'27"088
    21. 22 SATO S. Aguri F1 Honda B 1'27"609
    22. 23 IDE S. Aguri F1 Honda B 1'29"282

look at that last name, I cant stop laughing at that
    :P :P :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the road.. Five mins of bad shots and undefended perimeter. 0-1 in the play offs..

Kobe needs to loosen up and hike up his number of shots too.. Its all well and good to keep them involved. The trick should be to keep others involved as well as take shots. Right from tip off.. Suns get up and run.. like crazy. No use getting started late with them.

Lets zee whatz the zen master upto next..

v-
    Short Measures

MAv's Avery Johnson - Coach of the Year !

NEW YORK (Ticker) - After helping the Dallas Mavericks get defensive, Avery Johnson received a prestigious honor.

Johnson, whose Mavericks set a new franchise record for fewest points allowed per game, on Tuesday was named the NBA's Coach of the Year in his first full season with the Western Conference power.

Johnson received 63 first-place votes and 419 points. Phoenix's Mike D'Antoni, the winner last year, was second with 27 first-place votes and 247 points, while Detroit's Flip Saunders was third with 18 and 223, respectively.

More: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

~~~~~~~~~~

Great Choice.. Coach Johnson has turned around the team - even with no performance Finley and the loss of Steve Nash. Good Job..

Saunders did an awesome job too, but Pistons are already a fine team (not great but fine.. :P).. So, even with a great performance, Coach Saunders has no chance.

v-
    Short Measures

NASH repeats as MVP

(and Dime thinks its a Joke.. )

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5542940

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5542552

NBA shot an air ball.. Idiots..

v-
    Short Measures

Nice piece by Aravinda de Silva on today's state of Sri Lankan cricket
    [web:394bcb759f]http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,1774592,00.html[/web:394bcb759f]
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Brown Buyout in the works??

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5609498

Newyork Post & Daily News reported earlier that Coach Brown's contract may be bought out. Possibly Isaiah Thomas might replace him..

My take:

1) What the heck ?
    2) LB deserves this - if it happens. After professing his promise to be the coach for ever of Pistons he leaves them, only to take on his 'dream job'.. What sorta man, lies through his teath and expects people to respect him? If he had quarrelled with Pistons team and left its one thing.. but ditching them..
    3) Knicks front office houses the biggest idiots in any sports franchise. $ 120 million payroll, Hall of Fame coach, dig time prez.. and heck, they end up slightly better than pot smoking, gun fighting trail blazers?? Just how mismanaged is this team? I mean, come on... Bobcats, Hawks, Warriors, Raptors.. all of them ended up with better records.. And yeah.. check out their team bankroll..

How to fix it.. ? Not that the owner is gonna listen.. but here is some place..

Fire Isaiah Thomas. Throw away Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and both the Roses.. Build from ground up. Make BASKETBALL decisions, people.. Start by picking up some decent free agents, and drafting some young, committed players.. (Noah, anyone.. )

v-
    Short Measures

hmmmm
    azhagu kutty chellam unnai aLLi thookum pOdhu, un pinju viralgaL mOdhi naan nenjam udaindhu pOnaen

Series heats up a plenty..

Spurs by luck and lots of it with Timmy saved their season yesterday. Now they stand 2-3.

Pistons got whacked (and even v- grudgingly respects James!).. Now they stand 2-3.

Suns and Clips go back and forth, and now they stand 3-2 in fav of suns..

Awesome.. :P :P

Only the Heat wrapped it up early and are resting..

Thrilling playoffss..

v-
    Short Measures

These playoffs are making me crazy
    all the teams I support are doing badly
    Every time I turn on SC , lebron is the center of attraction, hope they don't
    start showing his clips in baseball tonight

Go spurs. Its a very bad match up of two great teams so early in the playoffs

Nash & Co , lets see if they can hold off the clps :D :P

-Siva
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

adap paavingala 199 target'aya ivlo tension'a izhuthuttu poranga

lost by 1 run

:D

[web:ad74b35a69]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2537951472569458063[/web:ad74b35a69]

Wayne's well.....keeps live UK's world cup hopes.

[web:b9578ddd08]http://www.mirror.co.uk/worldcup/news/tm_objectid=17170854%26method= full%26siteid=94762%26headline =wayne%2ds%2dwell-name_page.html[/web:b9578ddd08]

Thanks to,

Mirror.co.uk

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast