Random musical thoughts
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Random musical thoughts

Default Random musical thoughts

Hi guys,

A thread to discuss random stuff about music, mainly to continue discussions starting on the Song of the Day thread.
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

hmm...orutharume pesaratha illa.......

விழியில் விழுந்து இதயம் நுழைந்து
    உயிரிற் கலந்த உறவே
    உன் வெள்ளிக் கொலுசொலி வீதியிற் கேட்டால்
    அத்தனை ஜன்னலும் திறக்கும்
    நீ சிரிக்கும் போது பெளர்ணமி நிலவு
    அத்தனை திசையும் ஜொலிக்கும் etc....
    was a song written without the tune and Maestro made the tune for the words......does anyone know other such occurences?

without the tune and Maestro made the tune for the words
    most bharathiyaar songs..

yaakkai thiri kaathal sudar was also written like that.. Vairamuththu wrote it for a magazine, and ARR set it to tune.. :D (probably the anbe.. anbe.. part was added as an afterthought.. but.. )

v- :P
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

most bharathiyaar songs..
    well....most of them tend to stick to the tunes Bharathi himself put to the songs, which makes that claim a bit dubious.....

But yeah, loads of vairamuthu poems have been turned into songs, Evano oruvan from alaipayuthe and kathalithu paar from aasaiyil or kaditham some other.....

I always thot that many songs in the 40's and 50's were worded then put into tune later,

-Siva
    -Siva
    "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"-- :D Calvin

I thought most of the old songs are like that probably till the 70s atleast
    I know I know I know I know I know I know I know

I thought most of the old songs are like that probably till the 70s atleast

I too think like that; I think even MSV did that if I am not wrong

well....most of them tend to stick to the tunes Bharathi himself put to the songs, which makes that claim a bit dubious.....
    though bharathi has composed his songs no one ahere's to that tune and each one sing in their one tune. so I think mostly the bharathi songs in tamil cinema are all tuned by the music directors; I might be wrong in few songs but mostly it was tuned by music directors of that film.
    ~~~
    Blog

I love this song on Geetham mid channel: Kanavodu Engum (Anbe Odi Vaa) Mike Mohan is a gifted soul to get so many musical hits

Now that its been about a month(and more) or so since the audio release of Vettayadu Vilayadu, Pudhupettai and Godfather. Movies had atleast one listenable song. What did you guys feelt about the music in these as well as other recently released ones in general?
    ~~~~~~~
    Godfather - I did'nt venture listening any song other than 'Innisai' - the Mahathi-Saindhavi version. First listening made me feel like it had more effects of KS.Ravikumar on Rahman's music as it did in Thenali.
    ~~~~~~
    Vettayadu Vilayadu

Manjal Veyyil would be higher on the list. Liked Hariharan and a few tunes in the song.

Partha Mudhal is good for the voices, but damn horrible monotonous beats

Karka Karka is like 36-24 in Panchatantiram. nothing special. sounds like a standard intro song.

Why does Harris Jayaraj overload his songs with too many beats? infact there are very few songs he's come up with these monotonous beats.
    ~~~~~
    Pudhupettai

I loved Oru Naalil inspite of Yuvan singing it. Enga area comes second on that list bcos I havent heard the other songs many times. Boss has been recommending Pul Pesum for quite some time. kekkanummmmm
    ~~~~~~
    Ragasiyamanadhu Kadhal from Kodambakkam (Harisha Ragavendhra version) is pretty neat on first couple of listenings
    ~~~~~
    Poi, Jerry, Azhagai Irukkirai Bayamai Irukkiradhu are safely avoidable.
    ~~~~~
    Pen in your thoughts too. Any recommendations, please do

thanks dinesh for this thread, should divert some music discussions into this thread than overloading them on Random Thoughts thread.

Godfather....well innisai is the best...it is officially one of my favs now
    At first I didn't like any from this, but now I think most are listenable

Pudhupettai, no favourites, most of them are dialogue based, and that is something I hate in songs

Vettaiyadu....only started properly listening to it now, will have to wait for a bit before it grows in me

Ragasiyamanthu kadhal is a good song...the rest from that movie are mediocre. I never liked Sirpi as a music director...too many copycat tunes

Poi, Jerry, Azhagai Irukkirai Bayamai Irukkiradhu are safely avoidable.
    Agreed

Pen in your thoughts too. Any recommendations, please do
    Solla Varthaigal from Mercury Pookal is decent, Sudum Nilaavu + Jakkamma from thambi and dishyum songs were the better ones from the latest releases.

What did you think about Thirupathi? Only listened to it once in a hurry, so not sure about the quality yet.

thanks dinesh for this thread, should divert some music discussions into this thread than overloading them on Random Thoughts thread.
    That was the reason I started the thread. I should also move the rare songs discussion into Geetham Radio forum....

What did you think about Thirupathi?
    Not worth it, except for 'Ennaye Enakku' every other song has a 'saavu molam' beat Ever since 'Manmadha Rasa' came that beat has caught up with every composer and that sucks. 'Tirupathi Vantha' might be better of the 'saavu kuthu' songs. We have better kuthu songs than this one, would'nt survive among them.

Morover I dont pin much hopes on Bharathwaj, he gives a hit song with the frequency Deva does.
    ~~~~~~~
    Sudum Nilavu sounds good, but doesnt it sound like its inspired from mulitple songs (Azhagana Ratchasiye is the start). Few which my friend said hearing the song: azhagana ratchasiye, poo maalai vangi vandhal pookal illaye, chinna kannan azhaikiran, naadha vinodhangal (only swarangal bit "ni, ga-ma-pha-dha ni" )
    ~~~~~~
    I liked Nenjankootil from Dishyum is a nice song, one of the songs I liked after Innisai in Godfather.
    ~~~~~~
    I didn'nt note who the composer for Kodambakkam was The start of Ragasiyamanadhu sounds a little like the old Vani Jairam song 'Aaramba Kaalam', after a transition music it does'nt sound like an old song.
    ~~~~
    Heard Solla Varthaigal just once on the day you posted in SOTD, has'nt caught up with me yet.

the new Request thingy is pretty darn cool..

v-
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

anybody have the தமிழ் தாய் வாழ்த்து with music?
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

GCB, try this. I havent heard it yet. So have no idea of the contents.

will try from home, tonight. Thanks! Looks like its sung by Susheela. Is there a male version of the same
    நட்புடன்,
    ஜிசிபி

View Geethamites' Best Pics

I heard it now, its a TMS-Susila version from some movie I guess (Panjavarnakili ?)

This request thread is not playing requests is it?

definitely not working....the list is showing something, and the radio is playing something totally different...

I dont find the currently playing on the now playing list at all

Yaruba mid-time songs thodarnthu request panrathu?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast