Read This b4 COMING TO U.S.A
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read This b4 COMING TO U.S.A

Default Read This b4 COMING TO U.S.A

[highlight=yellow:76e11e3e8c]WELCOME TO UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TOPIC AND TAKE A PRINT OUT AND HAVE IT WITH YOU BEFORE COMING TO UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOR STUDIES.[/highlight:76e11e3e8c]

INTRODUCTION:
    ------------------
    ------------------

Usually, before anyone comes to the U.S.A for the first time from India he/she will start talking to people who have been here before and get information from them about what to expect, what to do etc. Though this gives some idea it doesn't make one confident or better prepared and moreover how much can one absorb at once.

So we felt the need for a small, informal document which anyone could carry alongwith or read on the plane before he/she gets to the U.S.A.

The objective of this document is to make you aware of things, situations to expect and enlighten you with facts so you can be comfortable once you get there.

This friendly topic started by the great 6face@geetham.net/forums
    will guide you during your stay in the U.S. You will be better prepared for the trip if you read this document before going or Just after reaching. It tries to give information on preparing for the trip, food, travel, stay and culture in the U.S.

---To Be Continued.

Default Re: Read This b4 COMING TO U.S.A

CARRY LUGGAGE
    ------------------
    ------------------
    The carry baggage is the biggest problem while coming to U.S. What to carry? How much to carry? Do I carry more woollen clothes 'cause its cold out there?

Well, we all think, it depends !!

Don't carry too many heavy utensils, cooker etc. You can buy most of the
    utensils there. They are not costly and you don't have to carry much.

You can carry some spices with you if you want to, 'cause after going there you may start missing the Indian food taste.

Don't carry too many warm clothes (unless you are going there in winter), or sports shoes etc. It would be better if you buy them after going there.

That way you can buy the latest style. But you should carry leather shoes From India, since leather items are costly in the U.S.

Rest, it all depends on you and your needs !!

---To Be Continued.

Makaale.. You also share your info here.
    I can not explain every things.

Cheers.

Default o

i thought there are many members from usa here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u r correct vijey. but due to their busy schedule they won't open thier mouth.

Cheers.

Busy schedule onnum illa 6Face. I will upload all my files to a server and give the links in Geetham in the next 2-3 days. OK ?
    Idhellam kandukkura padadhu Yenna Idhu Vaalipppa vayasu!
    சிலிக்கன்

U share your advice here first..

Cheers.

Hi all,
    again ths is from my old archieves I used to start to the US. Its not a hard and fast rule tht u need all of these. just have it as a starter list to get some ideas.

Silican

Baggage:Buy two 26" suitcases. I personally prefer soft suitcases as they have a smaller chance of breaking, and also are lighter and you can pack more stuff into them. Buy another 18" strolley for use as hand-luggage. Once you check in your luggage, you can loiter around with your hand baggage, and usually airport trolleys are not allowed in those areas. It is much more convenient to have a strolley than to lug a slightly heavy backpack or a duffel bag. Assume that you will be keeping the hand-luggage empty except for a file containing your documents. You will be quite surprised how much stuff has to be added to your baggage at the last moment. While packing, try to distribute the weight evenly. For some wierd reason, I am always about 10-15kg overweight (I am talking about my luggage when I return from India. What did I do? Well, transfer all my weight intensive stuff like books etc to my hand-luggage. Hand luggage is typically not weighed. When you reach the ticketing counter, dont mention anything abiut your hand luggage. After all, it will be in your possession all the time. Strangely. Indian ticketing clerks want to weigh your hand luggage also if you mention it. The weight restriction for hand-luggage is about 6kgs, which is attrociously stupid.

Your hand-luggage should contain stuff which money cant buy. This would include all your documents, recorded compilations of CDs /cassettes, cards, diaries et al. Also keep some basic clothing- jeans & a T, toothpaste/brush etc in it just in case your baggage arrives later than you do. On the other hand, checked luggage would contain stuff that money can replace. It is a good idea to do all the packing yourself so you know what is where. In the rare situation that you have to unpack your suitcases (not rare for me!) and transfer stuff to your hand luggage, you better know what iswhere. Also, God forbid, if your suitacse gets lost, you will have an idea of how much to claim from the airport authorities. Print your name, and route (like BOM-HKG-LAX-PHX) and your destination address (preferred, or your home address if you dont have a destination address). Make copies of this label and stick it on top/bottom of both your suitcases.

Every year there are numerous cases of students getting their luggage misplaced and getting it days and even weeks after their arrival in US. In such cases, be very agrressive and make sure you get adquate compensation from the airline responsible for it. Typically they should reimburse you for all the expenses incurred due to the delay. That would include clothes and and other items for daily use for the period of delay. When baggage does not arrive when you do, most airlines will send your bag on the next flight. In general, the airline is responsible for any expenses caused by this delay. Because of this, many airlines now provide overnight toiletry kits. If you need additional purchases (such as a change of clothes or medication), request a check from the agent before leaving the airport or keep receipts from purchases and hope to be compensated.

The Warsaw Convention provides the rules that determine the liability for lost, delayed or damaged baggage. Unfortunately, these rules will not work to your advantage. Damages are calculated based on the weight of the baggage, regardless of the real value of the baggage or its contents. The Warsaw Convention states that the value for lost or damaged baggage is $9.07 per pound (or $20 per kilogram). If your bag was weighed before the flight, then the value is determined by multiplying the weight of the bag times $9.07. For example, a 20-pound bag would be valued at $181.40. If your bags were not weighed, the airline will generally assume that your bag weighed a total of 70 pounds, and will reimburse you $634.90. So its not a good idea to carry more than $600 worth of goods in each suitcase! To add insult to injury, an airline can completely avoid responsibility for lost or damaged baggage if it can prove that the damage was caused by error in piloting, in the handling of the aircraft or in navigation, and that, in all other respects, the airline and its agents took all necessary measures to avoid the damage. For the domestic part of your flight, an airline can limit the amount it must pay if baggage is lost, damaged or delayed to $1,250 per passenger. You can get around this limit by declaring at check-in a higher value for the baggage, up to the airline's maximum, which is likely to be between $2,500 and $5,000. If you declare a higher value, the airline will charge you a fee based on a percentage of the declared value. The airline then becomes liable up to the declared value if it loses, damages or delays delivery of the baggage, unless the airline can prove that the actual loss was lower than the declared value.

Aid
    This is possibly the first thing you would be interested in, sometimes even before registering for your courses! Learn HTML and Javascript. You will be surprised how many on-campus jobs you can get with your HTML/ JavaScript/ Word/ Excel skills. there are 4 ways one can get assistantship.

Research Assistantship: This is awarded by a professor who assigns you some work in his/her field of work. Apart from your basic GRE/GPA scores, they would also be interested in knowing if you have any skills that they can use. If you have worked in a project/research similar to theirs, mention it. Otherwise, explain to them why/how you are interested in working with them. Mention your understanding of basic concepts/algorithms and analytical skills. Understand that apart from getting assistantship, RAs also get the oppurtunity to work on leading edge technology and research and can prove invaluable for your future job- both with the skills you gain and also with the professors personal contacts. Apart from a monthly salary, your out-state tuition is waived. In some other universities, you pay no fees at all.
    Teaching Assistantship: This is awarded by the department you are enrolled in. TAs need to communicate with students a lot, most universities would take a SPEAK test or see your TSE scores. If you haven't taken TSE, you can always take the on-campus SPEAK test when you reach your university. Your responsibilities as a TA wouLd depend on the course/instructor you are assisting, and would include (all or some) teaching, administering tests, correcting assignments/projects, solving students' difficulties, maintaining a course web page (HTML), assisting with course grades (Excel), making notes (Word).Apart from a monthly salary, your out-state tuition is waived. In some other universities, you pay no fees at all.
    Graduate Assistantship: Awarded by other departments for jobs which the university deems more important that hourly jobs. the job responsiblity varies depending on the kind of position, but can be web page development, tech support, lab asst, administration etc. Apart from a monthly salary, your out-state tuition is waived. In some other universities, you pay no fees at all.
    Corporate Leaders Program: To understand this, you have to keep body-shopping in the back of your mind. You work for the industry as an intern. It is obvious what skills would be required for this- same as the job you would do when you graduated with your bachelors. Apart from working for the industry, you also do some community work, attend some leadership classes etc. The idea is to have a all around person instead of just being engineers. The other side is that you work out of the campus and have to commute. In some cases, the company might loan a car for you. If not, buying a second hand car is no big deal. [As a sidenote, though this is not intended as a car buying advice, Hondas & Toyotas are like Bajaj- very reliable, and you dont have to tilt to start them either. So they are safe bets for purchase as second hand cars. So many Desis buy the Honda- Accord that its termed the Hindu car.]

Apart from learning new skills (any engineer can learn HTML/Excel in a day, JavaScript maybe 2-3 days depending on your programming background), you must make a resume for applying to these positions. Keep in mind that all of the above positions are different and ask for differnt type of skillsets. For a GA position, your skills with HTML or Excel are more important than your ability to develop new algorithms in contrast with RA positions. Make different resumes for positions that you intend to apply. My resume is available online and may be used as a starting point for CS people. Ofcourse, you would have to make modifications. Also, always keep updating your resume everytime you remember a skill that you have, or when you learn something new, or when you complete projects. You will be using a variation or an updated version of your resume for applying to companies for intersnhips and full time jobs. I have spent over 4 months in making my resume, and I would say it has paid off well.

Medical
    If you have any ailments, get them treated. If you wear glasses, (or even if you dont) get your eyes examined. Get a new pair of lenses/frames if required. Buy a spare pair of glasses if you can afford it. Consider buying antiglare glasses if you are in a field using computers. Have your teeth examined by a dentist and do the necessary. If you underwent any treatment in the recent past, keep all the necessary documents/prescriptions with you. Same holds true if you are using any prescription medicines. Also buy some Vicks, Iodex, Amrutanjan, and any other medicines which you use often. Have some Band-aid strips handy if you are using a knife in the kitchen for the first time.

Watch
    Every guy must have a nice analog watch for formal occasions. Nothing chunky, but simple and elegant. If you have been wearing a sports watch all these years, invest in a new one. Gold/leather watches, which Titan has for about Rs 1000-2000 are difficult to find in US, and are expensive if available. Another problem is that they are usually larger and dont look good on the avarage Indian male.

Regardless of how many watches you have, get an additional pair of straps for all your watches. If you havent replaced the cell in the last 2 months, get a new one. Replacing a cell costs about Rs 40 which is less than the bus fare to the nearest mall. Straps usually sell for $10-20.

Money
    The exact amount depends on your university, whether you have any kind of aid, or someone in the US who can support you etc. If you dont have aid, you should have money to pay the fees for first semester. You should also have money to pay rent/deposit for about 6 months. Apart from all this, keep some small change, $20/ $5/ $1 bills for making phone calls et al. Carry most of your money as Travellers Checks.

Groceries/ Spices
    Possibly more stuff is available in the Indian stores in US than the store in the corner of the street in India. Prices are also very affordable even for a student in US. However, for the first few months, you tend to convert everything to Rs and they seem expensive. Also, you dont get the variety you would do in India. Get the regular home made spices (Sambhar masala, Rasam Masala, Garam Masala etc). Buy your favourite brand of masalas as they might not be available here. You might want to stock up on Chhole/ Pav Bhaji Masalas and anything more that you can think of. Buy tamarind paster as no one seems to use regular tamarind. Buy whatever pickles you like. If they are homemade, pack them in PET bottles, and then have 2-3 layers of plastic bags over them. Oil stains can ruin all your clothes and you have to be really careful with pickles etc. If you are buying them from the store, remember that they might not be as well sealed as they look, especially under the different temperaure and pressure conditions.

Toiletaries
    Buy toothpaste, shampoo, soaps for a month. If you are particular about the soap that you use, stock up on it. Same holds true for tooth brushes. Shaving foam is more common than shaving cream, and pretty inexpensive. Stock up on razors. However, if you use Mach 2/3, they are cheaper here. Also buy some Indian blades for cutting use. Get an extra pair of shaving brush. An electric shaver costs about $70-100 if you intend to switch sometime. if your skin is sensitive to a particular type of after-shave, get that along. Girls- I have heard that epilators are not available here, but I am not sure about this.

Gifts
    Buy some Indian gifts for people to whom you will want to show your gratitude or for other occasions. Something small/ easily packable is a good bet. Consider silk paintings, sandalwood paper cutters/figures, flower vases etc. In general, anything that has an Indian touch to it and/or is handmade.

Books
    This list is for CS people. Others can get an idea from this. It is always a good idea to keep books on core subjects even if you dont intend to specialize in that area. You would need them for reference, or for preparing for interviews. I bought about about 8-10 books all for Rs 2000 from Nai Sadak/Delhi. Buying a single book would have costed me about $50 here. The flip side is that books are usually heavy and increase your baggage weight.

Operating Systems: Silberschatz and Galvin

Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach by Pressman

OS/Unix: The Design of Unix OS- Bach

Database Systems: Elmasri and Navathe

Computer Networks: Tanenbaum

Unix: The Unix Programming Environment: Kerninghan and Pike

Compilers: Aho, Sethi and Ulman

Data Structures: Tanenbaum/ Horowitz, Sahni

UML: The UML User Guide- Booch

C++: C++ Programming language- Stroustrup; More/Effective C++ - Scott Meyers

Core Java I & II: Sun

Also have some books on HTML/JavaScript and in your other areas of interest. For Java, the Sun/Gosling series is the best book. However, it is not available as an Indian edition or at a discount. So you are better off buying it in US than in India. Same holds true for any other book which retails in a similar manner.[/b]
    சிலிக்கன்

SoftwareDon't have to carry any software. U can download most of them at ur college labs, though u might have problem installing it due to administrative options.If you have any shareware or other such stuff you cant live without, keep it on a CD/floppy. Better yet, upload it to a directory in your homepage. Also preserve softcopies of your SOP and all other application material. Even if you dont need it, there will be someone else who will.
    Email
    Have a web based email account that you can use permanently. Avoid email addresses with _ or any such symbols. Keep it something simple that can be spelt over the phone to someone else. Its better to use standard web email providers like hotmail yahoo [I recommend Yahoo!] instead of something that people have never heard of. However, it might be difficult to get a userid that you want- so think properly. Derive the email userid from your name, not your fantasise. Userids like SexyGuy/Girl@yahoo.com can be embarassing when giving out to future employers. Depending on where you work, email accounts have to be used properly. Dont use your work email for personal use. If you are working as an intern in xyz.com and you have been assigned myname@xyz.com, dont give that out to all your friends- use it for professional/work related use only. You never know what someone might send you. Many companies are very strict about sexual harassment and improper use of office facilities.

Use proper language when emailing someone. Email is not an excuse for wrong spelling or bad grammar. Dont use r , u, wot and the like. Dont use all small letters, or all CAPS either. Avoid 10 line signature files. If it is a work related email account, dont include your home address in it, and vice versa. Instead of Residence and Office, use Work and Home. Dont reply with the original text unless it is required. Dont reply with parts of the original mail and your answers to them. Reply in such a way only if the original mail consisted of bulleted/numbered questions. The Subject field is for subject. Think of a proper subject for each mail that you send. Its not difficult at all. Avoid sending emails with blank subjects, or with "Your mail", "Hi", "Hello" etc which convey nothing. Dont use words like today/tomorrow etc- they are relative. Use absolute dates as you can never be sure of the date/time when the recipient would read it. Dont send large attachments. Instead- upload it to your webpage and send the url to everyone. Dont assume everybody has a PC and all the software that you use. Text is something that everybody understands. Dont send Word documents unless specifically asked for. There are many people who hate Microsoft and would not like it if you sent them a Word file assuming them to be a MS-Office user. Many people use Unix /Mac machines.

Documents
    Carry your passport, I20, cash/checks, ticket, sheet contaning basic phone numbers/addresses, keys, on your body. If you are wearing a jacket, dont keep them in the jacket pocket. They should be with you at all times, even when you use the restroom etc. Have some one check you before leaving to make sure you have them. I hear of so many people forgetting them or keeping it at the wrong place that its better to be safe than sorry. Also keep copies of the above documents in your hand luggage and both your suitcases where it can be easily taken out (like the zipper pocket on suitcases) after unlocking. Also carry your SOP, transcripts, recommendation letters and such application material in your hand luggage. You will need them if you want to transfer to a PhD program or a different university.

Utensils

Possibly the most important utensil you need is a cooker. A Prestige pressure pan is good because you can use it for boiling as well as making curries etc, including shallow frying. If you want to get a single utensil from India, this should be the one. Also get a couple of extra safety valves, weights, and gasket. I managed to have the safety valve break on the first day- something my mom couldnt in 25 years

Get about 2 dozen stainless steel teaspoons. Get a couple of knives. I would also recommend Anjali's Fantastique that is a chopping board with a knife. Its really useful especially for cutting large amounts of vegetables. Most people dont make anything that involves deep frying, but you might want to get a small karahi if you are the adventorous type. Its a waste getting stainless steel plates. Usually china/glass plates are used that are also microwavable. It is a good idea to get some good quality plastic square edged boxes in a set. They can be used for taking lunch, keeping leftovers in the refrigerator and nuking [microwaving] them next day.

Do not get any other utensils. Learn to cook with minimal number of vessels. My idea of a perfect kitchen consists of a pressure pan, a deep large saucepan (16" dia X 5"depth) with a glass lid, a large cooking vessel or a big pressure cooker and a tava for chappatis etc. You dont need anything more for cooking. For storage, its best to use rectangular microwavable plastic boxes. Its much easier to keep the kitchen clean with the bare minimum of vessels. If you differ from me in this, I would be more than happy to give you a piece of my mind

Change of department or specialisation
    Even of you specified Networks as your area of specialization, there is nothing binding about it. You can formulate your own set of courses and decide/change your specialization until the last semester.

For change in departments, e.g., from Civil to Comp. Sc., you would need to meet the advisor for the CS dept when you reach here. Typically, you would need to take some additional pre-requisite courses. This means that you might take a couple of semesters more to graduate. I am not aware of any more issues involved with it.

Clothes
    Dressing is usually casual. Jeans/khakis/shorts and t shirts can be worn most of the day. I havent found a big difference in prices of clothes between India and US. So no need to buy any new ones- just get the ones you already have. Usual prices: Jeans: $15-25, Khakis $20-30, T Shirts $3-10, Shorts $5-15. If you are buying any new clothes, get a size extra: all the cheese and meat and icecreams add up- besides your clothes will shrink a bit when you put them in the dryers

Get about 2 weeks supply of underwear- relatively expensive here. Sports [white cotton] socks are affordable here, but its a good idea to get a supply of dress/formal socks. You would usually not need handkerchiefs, but I personally prefer to carry them so you might want to get a few. Get a bedsheet- the sizes are almost the same as in India. If you can stuff a blanket in your baggage, go ahead with it.

For girls:
    wearing salwars is not a good idea unless you are in a place where desis have a good majority.

Get a nice dressy ethnic wear- you will need it for festivals and other occassions when people wear such outfits. I also brought some casual long cotton khadi kurtas- they look cool with khakis

Get a set of formal wear if you plan to apply for interships- otherwise you wont need them until the last semester before you apply for full time positions. You would probably go to India inbetween and you can get your suit then. The reason is you might put on some weight and the you will get a better fit if you have one made closer to the time you plan to use it. Some bare basics of formal dressing:

Dark navy blue blue conveys a sense of discipline and is the most favored color. Next is steel gray.

If you are getting one suit- make it a single breasted one. The second can be double breasted.

Buttons on suit should be plastic/nylon- not metal.

Tie should contrast the suit. Maroon/crimson is a good color to go with navy blue.

Shirt should be plain white- no self design patterns, no other color.
    சிலிக்கன்

The Arrival

~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy your flight. Try to learn more about other nations from the

co-passengers. There can be international stops on your way to the U.S.

International Stops

Generally passengers are required to get down at an International

stop, which might be for Security checkup or cleaning of the

airplane. You will be given a 'transit card` or say 'transit

visa`. Normally the halt is for a couple of hours. Listen to the

announcement which is always made before the international halt.

You will hear information about departure time, gate number etc.

After getting down at Intl. Airport, you can move around in the

airport. But be at the gate within 45 minutes of your flight's

departure for the onward journey, 'cause they may require to

check your tickets etc. Once you get in, you are all set to take

off for the final destination.

Immigration

The first thing you need to go through at the port-of-entry U.S.

airport (international airport where you first land in the U.S.),

after landing is the immigration and customs clearance. After

which you may board a domestic flight to reach your final

destination. Before getting down at your port-of-entry final

international halt, inside the plane, you will be given a form

to fill up called I-94. SPECIFY DCI`s CONTACT NUMBER, ADDRESS AND

OTHER OFFICIAL INFORMATION AS YOUR CONTACT NUMBER, ADDRESS WHERE

YOU WILL STAY etc.

On alighting from the plane you may ask people or signs will guide

you to the immigration. Keep your passport, H1-paper ( Blue form )

and the form you filled inside the plane, handy. At the counter

you might be asked some questions. TALK ABSOLUTELY TO THE POINT.

DON`T TRY TO LIE. MAKE SURE THAT WHATEVER YOU SAY IS WRITTEN ON

THE PAPER. You will be given the counter foil of I-94 form. Keep

that very carefully. And say to yourself "WELCOME TO USA".

Baggage Claim

Try to acquire some 25 cent coins (called "quarters"), which

you may need for getting a trolley cart for your baggage and

also for making telephone calls etc. Thereafter move towards the

baggage claim carousel assigned to your flight, simply follow the

signs directing you to the place. Collect your luggage and look

for signs directing you to customs clearance.

At the customs clearance they may ask you to open your bags for

a security check/verification.

Domestic Flight

Since the Port-of-entry may not be your final destination in the

U.S. and you have to proceed onwards, locate the counter for the

domestic airline you will be taking to your final destination.

Above all don't hesitate or feel shy to ask for help from airport

support staff (at information desks) or police officers, if you

need anything.

Follow signs directing you to your domestic flight because you

will need a boarding pass. If it is far away, take the Airport

shuttle (bus) service which is free. If you don't know where to

get down, tell the driver in advance and he will drop you off at

the proper place. At the counter (podium) check-in your baggage

and get your boarding pass issued and ready.

On arrival at the final destination, collect your baggage once

again and look around for that someone who may be there to receive

you. If you don't find anyone or you already have specific

instructions, follow those, otherwise call up (telephone) the DCI

area co-ordinator whose tel. number you should be carrying.

Therefore remember to keep phone numbers handy. Get information

from the DCI area-coordinator on the stay arrangements made for

you. Finally, if no one comes to pick you up, try to locate the

information counter from where you will get all the information

regarding how to call for taxi and so on.

Also the Public Transport section of this guide will help you in

understanding the travel facilities available in the U.S

i would like to lend one word that while coming to us regarding winter clothing checkkout the weather status in you universitites location . most part of the us is chilly in the winter but there are also parts where there are no snow falls so check that before you pack your bags.

No need to bring thermal wear as I never found use for it here in Maine (one of the coldest places in US)... Problem is if u wear it u have to remove it once u enter some building (which has heating) so better to wear some thick jeans or some similar pants during winter... So moral is dont waste money on thermals...
    வாழிய செந்தமிழ்!

Hi sabeshan,
    I dont completely agree with you . Last December, when I had to travel daily 2 hrs for my work, I used 2 be freezing at the Bus Stop. Sometimes the wait used 2 be more than 30 mins as I had 2 get the bus to the suburbs..So without thermals I wd have suffered a lot. The point is you wont really know till u get to a situation. Spending 500Rs is not a waste anyways considering the amount u need 2 spend here.

Silican
    சிலிக்கன்

I have to actually make an addition to my post... what I said is true only for states like Maine whereas silican is in Chicago... the difference is that there is no public transport here in Maine as in Chicago so most of the people travel by car and there is not much exposure to the cold as in Chicago... So that way you might consider using thermals but once again I must remind you guys that thermals can "avichify" your internals once you enter a building which has heating... so think about it... and moreover I have walked for around 5 km when it was snowing... I din have thermals on too but I dint feel the cold that much as long as I had the upper part of my body covered...
    வாழிய செந்தமிழ்!

Guys!!
    Neenga kolanthaya irunthappa romba keerai thinnu irunthaa you won't feel cold in USA.
    Otherwise you will feel very cold in USA.

So select your dress as per the quantity of keerai U took in your kid age.

Iyooo.. Amaaa.... Sabesan enna kalutha maathiri othaika varaaaannnnnnnnn...

Quote Originally Posted by silican
    Get about 2 dozen stainless steel teaspoons. Get a couple of knives. I would also recommend Anjali's Fantastique that is a chopping board with a knife.
    Flight officials and officials at US airports are very nervous chaps these days, so avoiding the knife would be better. You can always buy the them at the nearest supermarket.
    Same goes for blades as well. Better to avoid all these things, which might cause confusions, especially if it's your first trip to US.
    Trolling Geetham since 2003...

Dinesh.. avoiding knives would be better ellam ellai.. SIMPLY NO TO KNIVES. It will be a real headache for u, if u get caught.. Immediately they will run a background check, passport vaangi paapaanga.. they wont give it u at all... etc etc... Entry board'a... why u didint read, athula NO knives pootu erukaennu solli paduthuvaanga.. One of friend eppadi thaan she bought a knife to cut fruits.. she had to miss the connection flight and was stranded in germany for few hrs.. and had to get another one.. SO NO TO KNIVES.

Shy

Agreed Shy and Shidinesh,
    Its better to buy knives here in the US. But I didnt have any problem while coming here. As I had them in my Suitcases and not in my handd Luggage.

Silican
    சிலிக்கன்

mm.. nalla kaalam.. random checking'la after checking, unga baggage open pana solli check panalai.. at times they do.. eppo ellam very rare i guess. In customs here.. after that attack.. appo ellam random'a they select few passengers and they go thru the hand and as well as check in luggage.. embarrasing'a irukkum, because namba oor thaan mostly they will call... mostly asian people.. kashta pattu we would have packed.. enagae vanthu again open everything.. ethukaagavae they said..u cant tight ur luggage etc appo..

Shy

Quote Originally Posted by Shy
    mm.. nalla kaalam.. random checking'la after checking, unga baggage open pana solli check panalai.. at times they do.. eppo ellam very rare i guess. In customs here.. after that attack.. appo ellam random'a they select few passengers and they go thru the hand and as well as check in luggage.. embarrasing'a irukkum, because namba oor thaan mostly they will call... mostly asian people.. kashta pattu we would have packed.. enagae vanthu again open everything.. ethukaagavae they said..u cant tight ur luggage etc appo..

Shy
    Not in some airport in US.. (If I say the particular Airport, I would be revealing a bit more than Mods will allow... ... ) In this particular airport, if you are travelling abroad, there is no random checking. EVERYONE needs to open the stuff... They rip off the nice giftwraps, spill the chocolate and give you back your bag in a mess. My friend bought some chocolates - since these people ripped off all the covers - threw out the whole lot, right before them in the trash... I was watching it and so were the other thirty or so people standing in the line...

In this particular airport (atleast on that day) we had a bad combination of complete incompetents manning the stations with no guidelines and utter panic on what might be inside...

God help us if we travel those times and get caught.. These are the times you are sorely tempted to argue for death penalty for the terrorists (Shy... are you smiling?!)

Vasan
    Short Measures
    It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us - Isaac Disraeli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast