Guide to Sushi Making
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide to Sushi Making

Default Guide to Sushi Making

Guide to Sushi Making

Sushi - traditional japanese food which has became famous around the world with many sushi bars, jap restaurants opening constantly
    Sushi's can be made to your own taste... of course there are the traditional sushi's like californian roll, kappamaki, tempura etc etc

the most important things in making sushi are the rice, the bamboo mat and not forgetting the seaweed sheet or called nori sheet. all ingredients can be found in asian grocery, jap store or in asian section in your supermarket

Making the sushi rice:

INGREDIENTS:
    3 cups Japanese-style rice
    3 1/4 cups water
    1/3 cup rice wine vinegar (optional)
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt

PREPARATION:
    After washing the rice well, cook it by pan or rice cooker. See how to cook Japanese rice. Prepare sushi vinegar (sushi-zu) by mixing rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small pan. Put the pan on low heat and cook until the sugar dissolves. Cool the vinegar mixture. Spread the cooked hot rice into a large plate (if you have it, use a wooden bowl called sushi-oke) by spatula. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold the rice by shamoji very quickly. Be careful not to smash the rice. To cool and remove the moisture of the rice well, use a fan as you mix sushi rice. This will give sushi rice a shiny look. It's best to use it right away.
    Makes 6 cups of sushi rice.

Japanese rice is a medium-grained rice and gets sticky when it is cooked. The long-grained American rice isn't proper for sushi because it is drier and doesn't stick together.

How to make sushi roll:

Step 1
    Prepare sushi rice. Put a nori sheet on top of a bamboo mat (makisu)

Step2
    Spread the sushi rice on top of the nori sheet. Place fillings lengthwise on the rice

Step3
    Roll up the bamboo mat, pressing forward to shape the sushi into a cylinder

Step4
    Press the bamboo mat firmly and remove it from the sushi

Step5
    Cut the rolled sushi into bite-sized pieces. Wipe the knife with a wet cloth before slicing sushi

once you got the rice and know the method of rolling.. the ingredients is piece of cake coz as i said u can mix and match and use watever vegetable for vegetarians or any meat/seafood for non veg ppl all ingredients shud be cut into sticks or long thin slices

this is a picture of the seaweed sheet/nori sheet:

Here are some recipes:

Kappamaki

INGREDIENTS:
    4 cups sushi rice
    4 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)
    1 cucumber

PREPARATION:
    Cut the cucumber into thin and long sticks. Put a nori sheet on top of a bamboo mat (makisu). Spread sushi rice on top of the nori sheet. Place the cucumber sticks lengthwise on the rice. Roll up the bamboo mat, pressing forward to shape the sushi into a cylinder. Press the bamboo mat firmly and remove it from the sushi. Cut the rolled sushi into bite-sized pieces.
    Makes 4 rolls
    <--- Kappamaki

Californian Roll

INGREDIENTS:
    4 cups sushi rice
    4 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)
    1 avocado
    3/4 cup crab meat
    1 tbsp mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp salt

PREPARATION:
    Peel an avocado and cut it into strips or mash it. Put imitation crab in a bowl and mix with salt and mayonnaise. Cover a bamboo mat with plastic wrap. Put a sheet of dried seaweed on top of the mat. Spread sushi rice on top of the seaweed and press firmly. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the sushi rice. Turn the sushi layer over so that the seaweed is on top. Place avocado and crab lengthwise on the seaweed. Roll the bamboo mat forward, pressing the ingredients inside the cylinder-shaped sushi. Press firmly the bamboo mat with hands, then remove the rolled sushi. Cut the sushi roll into bite-sized pieces
    <--- Californian Roll

http://www.eatsushi.com/demos.asp this website has a demo showing how to make the roll also about the rice and other things
    Inari-zushi: - my very most favourite

INGREDIENTS:
    6 abura-age (fried tofu)
    4 cups sushi rice *rice and sweet vinegar mixture
    1/2 cup dashi soup stock
    1 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp mirin
    3 tbsp soy sauce

PREPARATION:
    Put abura-age into boiling water for a moment and drain well. Cut the abura-age in half so that each piece have an open end. Put dashi soup stock, sugar, mirin, and soy sauce in a pan and bring to a boil. Add abura-age pieces to the pan and lower the heat. Put a lid over the pan and simmer for 15 minutes. Take out the abura-age into a plate and lightly press to remove the liquid. Shape into small sized ovals and press into an abura-age pocket. Fold in the open side to close the pocket.
    *Makes 12 pieces
    <--- Inari

besides rolls...there is another type called temaki (see below pic)

How to Make Temaki-zushi:

Take a piece of nori. Place a small amount of sushi rice on top of the nori. Pick your favorite ingredients and put them on top of the sushi rice. Roll the nori into a cone shape to wrap the ingredients and rice. Dip the sushi in the soy sauce and wasabi mixture and eat.

more info can be found from http://japanesefood.about.com/

common ingredients used in sushi/temaki etc : avocado, cucumber, scallops, sweet omelet, raw tuna, raw salmon, crab meat, squid, salmon egg, lettuce, and more ; and sushi is alwiz served with soy sauce, wasabi* and pickled ginger*
    * wasabi and pickled ginger can also be bought in jap store/asian store etc

<--- wasabi
    <--- Pickled ginger/Gari

sushi is a type of food you need to acquire a taste for becoz of the seaweed and for nonveg the raw meat... but its easy and light personally i love sushi becoz i can put anythin i want in the roll and i love seaweed

im sure valls can give his opinion on sushi and jap food (if he has tasted it )
    I'M BACK!

im sure valls can give his opinion on sushi and jap food (if he has tasted it )
    Who knows? May be without knowing that the food is sushi, I might have eaten it.

tasty and healthy food
    i like veggy 1

Looks great and guess it is simple to make... will try it sometime this week and post my feedback.. Thanks San...
    மின்னல் பாதி தென்றல் பாதி மங்கை ஆனது

+ Reply to Thread