Thanksgiving Recipes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thanksgiving Recipes

Default Thanksgiving Recipes

Erick's Deep Fried Rosemary Turkey

"This is one of the most flavorful and moist turkey's you will ever savor. Easy to prepare, a definite hit at parties, this is how Thanksgiving was meant to be enjoyed! I like to use about a 16 pound bird"
    Original recipe yield: 16 servings
    PREP TIME 30 Min
    COOK TIME 55 Min
    READY IN 1 Hr 25 Min

INGREDIENTS
    1 (12 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
    1/2 cup minced garlic
    salt and ground black pepper to taste
    3 gallons peanut oil for frying
    3 sprigs fresh rosemary
    12 cloves garlic, peeled
    1/2 cup chopped fresh ginger root

DIRECTIONS
    Fill an outdoor deep-fryer with the peanut oil (see tip below), and heat to 325degrees F (160 degrees C). This will take about 30 minutes.

Rub the turkey with minced garlic, salt and pepper on the inside and outside. Fill the cavity with rosemary, garlic cloves and ginger. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinate.

Remove the herbs and garlic from the cavity of the bird, and discard. Make sure the opening at the neck of the turkey is at least 2 inches wide. Trim skin back if necessary. This will prevent pressure from building inside. If the turkey has a pop-up doneness indicator, it must be removed beforehand.

Place the turkey in the fryer basket, or hanging device, and slowly lower it into the hot oil. Be sure to maintain the temperature of the oil while it is frying. Cook for 3 1/2 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature is at 180 degrees F (82 degrees C) when taken in the thickest part of the thigh.

Carefully remove the turkey from the hot oil, and turn off the deep-fryer. Let the bird cool for 5 minutes, then pat dry.

Tip

To test for the amount of oil needed, place your unprepared turkey into the fryer, and fill to 2 inches from the top with water. Remove turkey, and note the water level by making a mark on the fryer. Dry completely before adding oil.

To reuse oil, strain, filter through a cloth, and keep refrigerated. When properly stored, oil may be reused up to 4 times. When oil has gone bad, it will smell rancid, smoke excessively when heated, or will not bubble up when food is added.

courtesy:allrecipes.com

specially dedicated to tinkz
    I'M BACK!

Pumpkin Cheesecake in a Gingersnap Crust

"Pumpkin cheesecake with ginger snap crust - an old classic recipe."
    Original recipe yield: 1 - 9 inch springform pan

PREP TIME 30 Min
    COOK TIME 1 Hr 30 Min
    READY IN 10 Hrs

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
    3/4 cup ground hazelnuts
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups canned solid pack pumpkin
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    4 eggs

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan.

Using a fork, combine gingersnaps, hazelnuts, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and melted butter. Press mixture onto the bottom and two inches up the sides of the pan to form the crust.

With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the pumpkin. Mix in the cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing until smooth.

Pour batter into prepared crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes, or until center of cheesecake is set. Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes, then refrigerate overnight.

I'M BACK!

BREAD PUDDING

"This recipe is enjoyed by everyone I have ever served it to. There are never any leftovers because it is so creamy and rich."
    Original recipe yield: 1 - 8x8 inch dish

PREP TIME 20 Min
    COOK TIME 50 Min
    READY IN 1 Hr 10 Min

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 1/2 cups cubed day old French bread
    4 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups milk, scalded
    1 pinch ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
    1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Generously butter an 8x8 inch baking dish. Prepare a water bath for the baking dish by placing a larger dish in the oven, and partially filling it with hot water.

Place bread cubes in the baking dish. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the scalded milk. Pour over the bread. Sprinkle with nutmeg, brown sugar, and pecans.

Place the baking dish in the water bath. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve either hot or chilled.

I'M BACK!

Sunshine's Potatoes

"Wonderful do ahead potatoes which can be frozen until you're ready to defrost and use them. Stays piping hot at the table."
    Original recipe yield: 10 to 12 servings

PREP TIME 20 Min
    COOK TIME 30 Min
    READY IN 50 Min

INGREDIENTS

5 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1/2 cup butter, sliced
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash with butter. Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
    Last edited by san2003; 11-19-2006 at 09:54 AM.
    I'M BACK!

San..

sunshine potatoes picture paarthu romba pidichu pochu.. sari ennoda potluckkku athai senchutu polaamnu padicha.. mashed ones i dont like them.. sbarro.. hmm..italian restuarantla.. ellam ponina, potatoes thara paaru..ovenla roast pani, athu mathiri i want to make..

Shy
    I Geetham

oops.. did i get the picture wrong then... sorry shy akka

so did you want like roast potatoes? ill try to get that recipe
    I'M BACK!

Twice-Baked New Potatoes

"I've used these rich potatoes as both an appetizer and side dish. Guests seem to enjoy the distinctive taste of Monterey Jack cheese and basil. These satisfying mouthfuls are perfect for a late-afternoon or evening get-together when something a little heartier is needed. -- Susan Herbert, Aurora, Illinois"
    Original recipe yield: 12 servings

PREP TIME 1 Hr 10 Min
    COOK TIME 10 Min
    READY IN 1 Hr 20 Min

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup minced green onions
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled

DIRECTIONS

Pierce potatoes; rub skins with oil. Place in a baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 50 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool to the touch. In a mixing bowl, combine Monterey Jack, sour cream, cream cheese, onions, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cut potatoes in half; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a thing shell. Add pulp to the cheese mixture and mash; stir in bacon. Stuff potato shells. Broil for 7-8 minutes or until heated through.

ps: shy akka ... this recipe looks good.. you could ommit the bacon bit i reckon.. but also this sounds abit fatty once awhile is ok i guess
    I'M BACK!

acho aama, but cheatfood once matum sapitukurennu sweetlotus kitta solanum.. on thanksgiving day only..

Thanks a lot for recipe ma..

Shy
    I Geetham

COOL SANZDOLL.........
    ZEP CAN BAKE N COOK ALL THESE STUFF.....,
    EVERY WEEKENDS ---- DHOOL IN MA HOME ..

sanjaan super thank hon

akka enaku all recipes saithu kodungo except turkey athu vanthu tinker mamaa errrrrrrrr tinkerrrrrr ji

but akka unaglauku only bread and jam neengo ippo diet shhhhhhhhh

Cranberry Sauce

"The tart flavor of cranberries makes a nice complement to any Holiday feast. This is a classic!"
    Original recipe yield: 12 servings

PREP TIME 5 Min
    COOK TIME 10 Min
    READY IN 15 Min

INGREDIENTS

1 cup white sugar
    1 cup orange juice
    1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries

DIRECTIONS

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the orange juice. Stir in the cranberries, and cook until they start to pop (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.

its not thanksgiving without cranberry sauce enjoy everyone
    I'M BACK!

Sauteed Green Beans

"Sauteed green beans with bacon and slivered almonds. I made this as a side for Easter dinner this year and everyone raved!"
    Original recipe yield: 6 Servings

PREP TIME 5 Min
    COOK TIME 25 Min
    READY IN 30 Min

INGREDIENTS

5 slices bacon
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
    1/4 cup butter

DIRECTIONS

Place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until browned on one side, then turn over to cook on the other side. Add the almonds to the skillet at this time, and cook, stirring until light golden brown.

Remove the bacon from the skillet, leaving the bacon drippings. Crumble or chop bacon, and return to the skillet. Melt the butter in with the drippings. Add the green beans; cook and stir until tender, about 8 minutes.
    I'M BACK!

Roasted Root Vegetables With Apple Juice

Serves: 8

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons butter
    3 cups apple juice
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 1/4 pounds turnips
    1 1/4 pounds parsnips
    1 1/4 pounds carrots
    1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes
    1 1/4 pounds rutabagas
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Boil apple juice and wine in a large saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 30 minutes. Whisk in butter or margarine.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Peel and cut vegetables into l/2 inch pieces. Divide between 2 roasting pans. Pour apple juice mixture over vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.

Roast until vegetables are tender and golden, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.

ps: shy akka.. this looks alrite.. get some lowfat butter n roast the veges ... sounds yummy
    I'M BACK!

jorry ps: enna san madam, etho oru naal SHY thittitaanga appadnnu ippadi recipeya potu thallureenga

ithu irukarae veg. item ellam yaaravatu senjuttu flight ticket book pannitu koopita vanthu saptu pogalaaaaaaaaaam

who is ready?
    தீயினால் சுட்ட புண் உள்ளாறும் ஆறாதே நாவினால் சுட்ட வடு - திருவள்ளுவ ர்

SO which ones have you tried and tested san?

Eggy...
    good point.. what do vegetarians do for xmas and thanksgiving dinner
    Last edited by Bluelotus; 11-19-2006 at 04:49 PM.
    Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelotus View Post
    SO which ones have you tried and tested san?
    i tried the sauteed green beans .. was goood.. i did vege style
    n the veg roast.. butdidnt have apple juice.. jus put some herbs n salt pepper some olive oil

eggy... too late... ellam mudinju pochu
    I'M BACK!

I am gonna try mashed potatoes, and the sauteed green beans, cranberry sauce (posted here, by AA )..

BUT, NOT deep fried turkey..

I am gonna follow Alton Brown's Roast Turkey recipe (with reduced proportions because the turkey is small.. )..

I will post the recipe here: Will comment on how good/goofy it was later.. Until then, try it at your own risk..

~~~~~~~~~~

Good Eats Roast Turkey Recipe
    courtesy Alton BrownSee this recipe on air Thursday Nov. 23 at 11:00 AM ET/PT.
    Show: Good EatsEpisode: Romancing the Bird (A Good Eats Thanksgiving) 1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine:
    1 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 gallon vegetable stock
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
    1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
    1 gallon iced water

For the aromatics:
    1 red apple, sliced
    1/2 onion, sliced
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 cup water
    4 sprigs rosemary
    6 leaves sage
    Canola oil

Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.

A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500 degrees. Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard brine. Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels. Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil. Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350 degrees F. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.
    vasan_torrent is vasan when he is using torrent.

wow.. looks good thatha.... enjoy ur thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by vasan_torrent View Post
    I am gonna try mashed potatoes, and the sauteed green beans, cranberry sauce (posted here, by AA )
    will wait for ur reviews
    Last edited by san2003; 11-23-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    I'M BACK!

good one san gal

Thanksgiving Recipes
    Feast on our wide array of specialities and enjoy your thanksgiving holiday.
    A.Turkey Recipes:

1.Herbed Roasted Turkey::
    Ingredients:
    1 whole 12 to 14 lb turkey, 1/2 cup rosemary sprigs(fresh), 1/2 cup sage leaves(fresh), 1 apple(quartered), 1 stalk celery(halved), 1 onion(halved), 1/2 cup butter(melted).
    Method:
    Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for other uses if desired. Rinse turkey with cold water and pat dry.Loosen skin from the turkey breast a bit not totally detaching. Place rosemary and sage under skin then smooth skin over herbs and back into place.Place apple celery and onion into the neck cavity. Place the turkey breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and brush with melted butter. Cover turkey loosely with a "tent" of aluminum foil.Bake at 325 degrees until meat thermometer registers about 180 degrees. This should take from 3 1/2 to 4 hours but begin checking after 3 hours. Remove turkey and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with gravy.

2.Turkey Breast Braised With Garlic And Rice:
    Ingredients:
    1 Cup long-grain rice, 1 Can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, 1/2 Cup white wine, 2 Teaspoons dried parsley, 1/2 Teaspoon each dried rosemary, thyme and sage, 1 Bay leaf, 1 bone-in Turkey Breast (5-6 pounds), Paprika, 3 Cloves garlic.
    Method:
    Preheat oven to 350.In 5-quart Dutch oven combine rice, broth, wine, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage and bay leaf. Place turkey over rice mixture and sprinkle turkey generously with paprika.Cut off root ends of garlic cloves. Place whole garlic bulbs, cut-end-up, in rice around turkey breast.Cover top of Dutch oven with foil and lid.Bake at 350 degrees F. 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 170-175 degrees F.Allow to stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. To serve, carve turkey into slices and place on platter. Spoon rice mixture into serving bowl.Squeeze garlic from skins onto turkey and rice.

3.Barbecued Turkey With Maple-Mustard Sauce:
    Ingredients:
    For turkey:
    6 quarts water, 2 large onions(quartered), 1 cup coarse salt, 1 cup chopped fresh ginger, 3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar, 4 large bay leaves, 4 whole star anise, 12 whole black peppercorns(crushed).
    1 13- to 14-pound turkey,niblets discarded.
    4 cups hickory smoke chips(soaked in water 30 minutes, drained), Disposable 9x6 1/4x1-inch aluminum broiler pans.
    2 large oranges, cut into wedges, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil.
    For glaze:
    3/4 cup pure maple syrup, 1/2 cup dry white wine, 1/3 cup Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter.
    Method
    First the turkey is soaked overnight in a brine to improve flavor and ensure moist meat. (Be sure to use a pot large enough to hold both the brine and the turkey.) The smokiness of the turkey is offset beautifully by the tangy, sweet glaze, which incorporates two quintessential Napa Valley ingredients: wine and mustard.
    To Prepare Turkey:
    Combine first 8 ingredients in very large pot. Bring mixture to simmer, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Cool brine completely.Rinse turkey inside and out. Place turkey in brine, pressing to submerge. Chill overnight, turning turkey twice.
    If using charcoal barbecue:
    Mound charcoal briquettes in barbecue and burn until light gray. Using tongs, carefully divide hot briquettes into 2 piles, 1 pile at each side of barbecue. Sprinkle each pile with generous 1/2 cup hickory chips. Place empty broiler pan between piles. Position grill at least 6 inches above briquettes. Position vents on barbecue so that chips smoke and briquettes burn but do not flame.
    If using gas or electric barbecue:
    Preheat barbecue with all burners on high. Turn off center burner and lower outside burners to medium-low heat. Place generous 1/2 cup hickory chips in each of 2 broiler pans. Set pans over 2 lit burners. Place empty broiler pan over unlit burner. Position grill at least 6 inches above burners.
    Remove turkey from brine; discard brine. Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Place orange wedges in main cavity. Mix olive oil and sesame oil in small bowl. Brush over turkey. Arrange breast side up on grill, centering above empty broiler pan. Cover; cook until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 160°F, adding 1 cup hickory chips (and 6 briquettes if using charcoal barbecue) to barbecue every 30 minutes, about 3 hours.
    For glaze:
    Bring all ingredients to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.Brush glaze over turkey; cover and cook until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F, covering any dark areas of turkey with foil, about 1 hour longer. Transfer turkey to platter. Tent with foil and let stand 30 minutes.Serves 8.

4.Thanksgiving Turkey:
    Ingredients:
    1 turkey, 1/2cup butter, 2(12 fluid ounce) canscola-flavored carbonated beverage, 1 apple(quartered), 1 onion(chopped), 1tablespoon garlic powder, 1tablespoon salt, 1tablespoon ground black pepper, 4cloves crushed garlic, 1tablespoon salt.
    Method
    Preheat an outdoor smoker to 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C) Remove all innards from the turkey and reserve for gravy, if desired. Rinse turkey under cold water and pat dry. Place butter or margarine, cola, apple, onion, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper into the cavity of the turkey. Rub the crushed garlic over the outside of the bird and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Place the turkey in a 10x15 roasting pan and cover loosely with foil. Smoke at 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C) for 10 hours, or until internal temperature equals 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). (Note: Be sure to baste the bird every 1 to 2 hours with the juices from the bottom of the roasting pan).

5.Five Spiced Turkey:
    Ingredients:
    6 tablespoons low-sodium soya sauce, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil, 2 teaspoon parsley, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder, 1 (12-pound) turkey, water.
    Method:
    Combine soy sauce, garlic powder, ginger, paprika, basil, parsley, pepper and five-spice powder in small bowl and let stand 20 minutes to thicken. Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Wash turkey well, then pat dry and season inside and out with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 marinade over turkey, reserving other 1/2 for later use. Place turkey on rack in roaster. Pour about 1 cup water in bottom of roaster. Prepare foil tent to cover roaster. Spray underside of tent with non-stick cooking spray, place over turkey and seal sides. Roast turkey at 325 degrees, basting often, until nicely browned, about 15 minutes per pound. Remove from oven, let turkey rest and serve on platter with reserved marinade as dipping sauce on side.Makes 12 to 14 servings.

From 101lifeStyle.com

Last edited by zephr; 11-24-2006 at 07:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread