Rice(சாதம்) : Pongal(பொங்கல்)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice(சாதம்) : Pongal(பொங்கல்)

Default Rice(சாதம்) : Pongal(பொங்கல்)

Assured for Trying - நீங்கள் இதை முயற்சி செய்யலாம்.

Please read the tips in the following posts too.

PONGAL

1.Clean rice (1 cup) and pasiparuppu(1/2 cup) in water.
    2.With cleaned rice, add salt, cut green chillies (2) ,ginger (optional) in pieces and water (51/2 cups)
    3.Heat ghee or oil(8 to 9 t.s.) in a kadai, add a pinch of perungaya powder, crushed seeragam(1t.s.) and milagu (1 t.s.) . Fry for 1/2 a min.and mix with rice.
    4.In a cooker, add water and put rice with water etc.in a separate container and pressure cook
    till very soft.

Some more Suggestions:

1. It is good to fry paasiparuppu(not in oil) before cooking it. Also while pressure cookin don t add salt that time,once it is taken out add salt and other ingredients u told. Also for 1cup rice add 1/4 cup Paasiparuppu that is enough. Sorry for correcting.

2. This is just an addon to what sivakumar said!! As soon as u open the pressure cooker add 1/2 cup milk and mix thoroughly.

It is good to fry paasiparuppu(not in oil) before cooking it. Also while pressure cookin don t add salt that time,once it is taken out add salt and other ingredients u told. Also for 1cup rice add 1/4 cup Paasiparuppu that is enough. Sorry for correcting.

Sri i hope u won t mind me doing this,if u have any probs pls let me know or u can delete this msg u r self
    "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."

As I told you before Siva,

I will verify everything today evening, will see a green with some notes below will help.. ofcourse i will take suggestion also and finally make a single note.. ok va...

Quote Originally Posted by sivakumar
    It is good to fry paasiparuppu(not in oil) before cooking it. Also while pressure cookin don t add salt that time,once it is taken out add salt and other ingredients u told. Also for 1cup rice add 1/4 cup Paasiparuppu that is enough. Sorry for correcting.

Sri i hope u won t mind me doing this,if u have any probs pls let me know or u can delete this msg u r self
    Hey guys,

This is just an addon to what sivakumar said!! As soon as u open the pressure cooker add 1/2 cup milk and mix thoroughly. Pongal will taste just great!! Try and give me a feedback!!

:D

BE it half a cup of quater cup of moong dhaal
    both tastes good
    I always wondered why babies spend so much time sucking their thumbs. Then I tasted baby food.
    -- Robert Orben

Pongal:
    Rice 3 cups
    Moong dal 1 cup
    Salt 2 teaspoon
    Black pepper powdered 1/2 tspn

In a tawa add some ghee + Asafoetida (perungayam) +Jeera(u should add more jeera say 5 teaspoons minimum)+ Whole black pepper +Ginger cut
    Fry for 2 min add cut green chillies(5 to 6)..
    Tranfer these contents in a pressure cooker add some more ghee fry mong dhal for a min then add rice.Add 10 cups of water.
    Close the cooker and wiat for 4 whistels sound.
    Once its done open the cooker add some more ghee and keep frying for few more minutes with low flame.
    Then add karuveppilai and serve after proper mixing
    This pongal can be served with cocunut chutney or venghaya sambhar..
    Happy pongal
    I am back.........

Pongal Recipes and suggestions posted by jksindhu2002

Rice - 1 cup
    Milk - cup
    Ghee/butter/Dalda -3 or 4 tsp
    Salt to taste

Heat ghee/butter/Dalda in a pressure cooker and then add milk. Let it to boil well. When it started bubbling, add the rice and let it to cook well. Once half cooked add the salt. Take out before the all the milk is gone.

Another method: Put all these in in a pressure cooker and close the cooker. Put the weight and wait to hear 4 sounds from it.

Somebody will add cocunut milk or coconut. It will change the taste. So this is the pure milk pongal which my mom used to make on Pongal(shankranthi day)..........
    Wish you happy pongal.

Sakkarai Pongal posted by jksindhu2002

1 cup rice
    3/4 cup jaggery
    cardomom 4
    salt a pinch
    cashews and raisins for seasoning.
    Ghee 1/4 cup
    milk 4 cup
    Moong dal -1/4 cup(optional)(if you add moong dal , then add another 1/2 cup of milk)

Boil the milk well. Then add rice and Moong dal(optional).Then add salt. If the rice almost cooked, add the jaggery. Then heat the ghee and add the cashews, cardamom and raisins in it. Then pour it in to the Pongal. Mix well and serve hot to God!

sakkarai pongal-a pasiparupa... first time i'm hearing about this...
    Sindhu, shy have u tried it..

Eager to know about.. am sure to try and let u know..

anitam... Sakarai pongal 'la green gram use panrathu normal..... there are ones without any dhal too...neenga eppadi prepare pannuveenga???

If u havent tried.. try it .. it will be very tasty..

Shy

Shy,

Nalla suggestion Moong dal was new to me too, Green gram(Pasi paruppu) is normal like shy said....

Ok naan confuse aaitaen engae.. moong dal, mung dal, payatham paruppu, paasi paruppu ellam onnuthaanae....

whole green ones athooda cover yaeduthu irukarathu thaanae paasi paruppu??? ellarum enna solrael

Shy

Quote Originally Posted by Shy
    whole green ones athooda cover yaeduthu irukarathu thaanae paasi paruppu??? ellarum enna solrael
    Ammam, it will be dark yellow in color and very small compared to all other paaruppu.

I have to check in the label again Moong Daal na pasi paruppa nu... if you put the sambhar paruppu it will become sathunavu sweet potta nalla irrukathu.

sambhar paruppu is thuvaram paruppu... why even are we talking abt that here . ...

Shy

sambhar paruppu is thuvaram paruppu... why even are we talking abt that here . ...

Shy
    Athula kooda 2 types irukku
    thor dal (namma voru type) and Red (mysore dal)
    I am back.........

Appdina Moong Daal is pasiparuppu, I got cleared now.

I think..

Moong dal - pacha payaru (green whole one)
    Split moong dal - pasi paruppu, payatham paruppu (Yellow one)

Am i correct..

anitam... Sakarai pongal 'la green gram use panrathu normal..... there are ones without any dhal too...neenga eppadi prepare pannuveenga???

If u havent tried.. try it .. it will be very tasty..

Shy
    Now, tell me which one to add pasi paruppa illa pacha payara..
    I haven't added any dal to my sakkarai pongal.

pasi paruppu only, pachai payaru(non broken) you can make poriyal don't add it in pongal.

Pasi paruppu, it is the same but broken.

Thanks sri..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast